Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths Rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dropkick22

youre kidding yourself if you think lads at that level aren't training a hell of a lot.

I think your not being fair to the munster youths players or the ppl training them ,each player has their own programme , and are monitored closely ( for the last 2 yrs) to make sure they are on track ,
    Yes schools teams train more often , better squads etc but it does not make youth munster players lesser players they work harder if anything ,
    From what I hear most of the munster youths / schools matches have been very close affairs
    The lads that made the munster 19,s be they youth or school I hope they do well ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Dropkick22 wrote: »
    I think your not being fair to the munster youths players or the ppl training them ,each player has their own programme , and are monitored closely ( for the last 2 yrs) to make sure they are on track ,
    Yes schools teams train more often , better squads etc but it does not make youth munster players lesser players they work harder if anything ,
    From what I hear most of the munster youths / schools matches have been very close affairs
    The lads that made the munster 19,s be they youth or school I hope they do well ,

Traditionally in Munster youths the big difference is people play for their club and their school at the same time. Not sure if this is still the case. Whereas if you go to a big Rugby school in Dublin are barred from club rugby of all forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Traditionally in Munster youths the big difference is people play for their club and their school at the same time. Not sure if this is still the case. Whereas if you go to a big Rugby school in Dublin are barred from club rugby of all forms.

you're not barred,but if you're involved with a cup team its preferred that you didnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Depends on where you are and what age group you are playing in Munster. Up to under 15 level you can play schools and youths rugby. From under 16 which is the junior cup age group there is restrictions.
    You are not barred from club rugby of all forms in Dublin. A lot of the schools in Dublin have 6/7 teams at all age groups and clubs just don't field from under 13/14 to under 19 apart from the odd few matches against touring sides etc (Bective Rangers for example have played Sydney Grammar School in the past at under 17 level) though some clubs field in schools/clubs leagues and cups where students of rugby schools like Blackrock, Michaels etc can play for a club.

From this year munster A schools have to name squads at Xmas the remainder are allowed play club ,
    In south munster PBC and CBC do not allow any of their pupils play club rugby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Clonmacken2011

Munster Schools U18's play Munster Youths U18's in Crescent Comprehensive College at 7.00pm on Wednesday 22/05/13 for anyone interested. Both panels now down to 36 players with this game to decide the 26 players (for Rockwell) and 10 reserves from both panels. Should be a good game with the Rockwell places up for grabs.

Munster Schools U18's play Munster Youths U18's in Crescent Comprehensive College at 7.00pm on Wednesday 22/05/13 for anyone interested. Both panels now down to 36 players with this game to decide the 26 players (for Rockwell) and 10 reserves from both panels. Should be a good game with the Rockwell places up for grabs.
    Should be good game. They played each other last month and the Youths won.
    Shame the A schools team has been changed from how it was last year.
    Think there is a few from Nenagh involved in both schools and youths sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BigHeel

The IRFU have confirmed that there will be no changes to either the age bands or the date of eligibility for next season.

BigHeel wrote: »
    The IRFU have confirmed that there will be no changes to either the age bands or the date of eligibility for next season.
    Interesting. Quite a few clubs will be very disappointed with no change.

From this year munster A schools have to name squads at Xmas the remainder are allowed play club ,
    In south munster PBC and CBC do not allow any of their pupils play club rugby
    They name squads before that sometimes as players have been released to play youths prior to leagues starting.
    If all schools name squads prior to Christmas then all players released will be then able to play for a club in the pan munster which is post xmas.

On Pres and Christians they do allow some pupils play club rugby.
    they have numbers and at some age groups Pres and Christians enter sides in youths competitions

• Advertisement

ormond lad wrote: »
    They name squads before that sometimes as players have been released to play youths prior to leagues starting.
    If all schools name squads prior to Christmas then all players released will be then able to play for a club in the pan munster which is post xmas.

On Pres and Christians they do allow some pupils play club rugby.
    they have numbers and at some age groups Pres and Christians enter sides in youths competitions

True about pres and Christians but they are dead rubber ties as all points allocated to the club teams, not their 1st teams at that age group I'd say as well

True about pres and Christians but they are dead rubber ties as all points allocated to the club teams, not their 1st teams at that age group I'd say as well
    Are they all conceded match points wise? Was sure for a while that the 2 schools competed in the league and awarded match points as well.
    I know its not schools main side at the respective age groups

Will many clubs be fielding in south 18s league next season Dropkick(iirc youre with a south munster club)??
    Change back to 18s should mean theyre be at least 6/7 teams in east comps at 18s level unlike this season

Are they all conceded match points wise? Was sure for a while that the 2 schools competed in the league and awarded match points as well.
    I know its not schools main side at the respective age groups

Will many clubs be fielding in south 18s league next season Dropkick(iirc youre with a south munster club)??
    Change back to 18s should mean theyre be at least 6/7 teams in east comps at 18s level unlike this season

Most clubs I presume will field in south munster, as 17,s last was a pretty competitive league , any team that does not you'll find were having problems historically at 18,s , in the south last year Cobh bantry Skibbereen struggled or failed to field a team , clon surprised me on how weak they were as they were very competive with that group through the years
    Highfield would be my club

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭munsterman96

Most clubs I presume will field in south munster, as 17,s last was a pretty competitive league , any team that does not you'll find were having problems historically at 18,s , in the south last year Cobh bantry Skibbereen struggled or failed to field a team , clon surprised me on how weak they were as they were very competive with that group through the years
    Highfield would be my club

what group from clon surprised you

what group from clon surprised you

The 19,s this year were not as good as that group were down through the years ,

The 19,s this year were not as good as that group were down through the years ,

struggled with numbers

any update on ages??

any update on ages??
    haven't heard anything. no rush anyway as long as decision is announced with a bit of leeway before next season. Think its definitely changing to even numbers again though with Leinster staying at 19s and 21s

haven't heard anything. no rush anyway as long as decision is announced with a bit of leeway before next season. Think its definitely changing to even numbers again though with Leinster staying at 19s and 21s

i was presuming all would change no?

Leinster didn't want to change and some clubs in Munster really want the change. Think we're wrong to change if other provinces are not as itll mean no All Ireland competitions at higher age groups which is a backwards step

• Advertisement

Quite a few Munster clubs didn't want to change and Leinster didn't want to change. Shame by Munster changing back to even numbers means there will be no all Irelands next season which is a backwards step

Ultan O Callaghan talking about summer training camp which started this week in Rockwell for all the Munster underage sides
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/12053.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭backgreen

Quite a few Munster clubs didn't want to change and Leinster didn't want to change. Shame by Munster changing back to even numbers means there will be no all Irelands next season which is a backwards step
    not over yet,,,,maybe running a special competition for u17/19 for clubs interested in going forward to all/irelands

backgreen wrote: »
    not over yet,,,,maybe running a special competition for u17/19 for clubs interested in going forward to all/irelands
    Crazy. Change to 18s would be fine but to keep a 19s competition shows changing from what other provinces are doing is a mistake. All provinces should be at same age group and then there's no messing with "special competitions" and what not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Word around Kilkenny is that Sean Moran (Ireland Youths 13) is joining Connacht..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

andyman wrote: »
    Word around Kilkenny is that Sean Moran (Ireland Youths 13) is joining Connacht..

would be a good move for him probably...

Leinster's depth at centre at underage level this year is strong, hard to know would he get ahead of Courtney or Leavy at u19 level.

smart pickup by Connacht too if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Connacht rugby has started it's summer training programme and there are a few Leinster players trying to make the U19 squad. They obviously were told that they would not make the cut at Leinster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

yeah with only one u19 squad this year, numbers are tight.

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Connacht rugby has started it's summer training programme and there are a few Leinster players trying to make the U19 squad. They obviously were told that they would not make the cut at Leinster.
    There are a few from Munster and Leinster being looked at for the Connacht squad. Good to see as more top quality players will get the chance to play interpro rugby and progress further with the additional training, benefits that playing interpro rugby brings.

Also here is video of Ulster Youths manager talking about coaching resources and how many people that Ulster use to go to games and look at up and coming players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

For sure, good for them and good for Connacht rugby. They have a very eclectic bunch training but should have good squads, the 20's in particular

Advertisement