Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

oldsmokey wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2073922

Is that wot i think it is in the background?..clearly the mans running a tight ship.......
    Bah ad removed
    What did I miss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

was just imaginging an auld lad sending the son out to take a picture of the tractor to put up on done deal and then him getting read for putting that picture up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

whelan1 wrote: »
    was just imaginging an auld lad sending the son out to take a picture of the tractor to put up on done deal and then him getting read for putting that picture up:)

could be the farm dusty was on about in the other thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What was in the photo to cause such a stir?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

was a scrap tractor with a dead animal in the background

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

whelan1 wrote: »
    was a scrap tractor with a dead animal in the background

Maybe needed the money from tractor sale to pay for disposal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

lads we all have dead ones, and some like me have more this year but we dont take pictures of them:eek::eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

rliston wrote: »
    should have said "she" was a bullock the last time I checked ;)

Hi rliston,

I wondered what was going on there with the BB Heifer/bullock :D

Just IMO but id give that cow a nice growthy easy calving CH something like PTE or HWN or even CF61.

And as other poster said easy calving lim like FL22 (they pop out and make good cattle) AA back on AA x FR and calf will be streets behind a continental for selling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

reilig wrote: »
    A nice easy calving Limousin for the BB heifer is what I'd recommend - something like Milbrook Tanco or if you're looking for a calf with strong maternal traits then think about Neurf.

I don't see why you couldn't put a BB on the cow again.
    I wouldnt call tanko exactly easy calving

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Any sheep farmers with time on their hands want to do me a big favour? Im doing my LC ag project i did dairy now ive to do sheep but i dont live on a sheep farm . I would really appreciate if anyone posted up or PM'd me pics their flock as a whole, Their ram, 1-2 sheep, sheep slats if have one and a few dif angles and shots of it, a sheering device , dipping areas or scanning areas(if such thing exists) :rolleyes: or crushs and troughs one grazed field and a lamb and his age :D
    I know its a big ask ;) and I prob wont get all what i want but would be a big help if i got at least a few .
    I cud visit a sheep farm nearby and take pics but i dont know any.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I wouldnt call tanko exactly easy calving

I use him on all heifers - commercial and pedigree, and I have yet to assist one of them calving. He brings nice small calves at birth that are very lively and up and moving within a short time after birth. Tanko was out of Mas Du Clo - renouned for easy calving and favoured by a lot of farmers for heifers.

Have some ewe with dirty tails each year. Not sure if it's the grass or the feeding that's doing it. I suspect the feeding mind.

It has always been a chore to knock them to clip the dung off the tails. So I got to thinking and Googling. Like hell was I going to fork out good money for a galvanized steel jobby

Nope, it's fence rail, pallet boards, some weldmesh, a bit of black water pipe, some screws, two half knackered bolts, a few cable ties and a length of rebar.

This is the end result:

Hah! The idiot left a massive hole in the gate, charge!

Image0330.jpg

Aw, crap.

Image0329.jpg

Side view.

Image0328.jpg

So it used to be an old cattle crush, which as you can all see I spent a mint upgrading Next job will be to put down a concrete floor and fashion a footbath in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

johngalway wrote: »
    Have some ewe with dirty tails each year. Not sure if it's the grass or the feeding that's doing it. I suspect the feeding mind.

It has always been a chore to knock them to clip the dung off the tails. So I got to thinking and Googling. Like hell was I going to fork out good money for a galvanized steel jobby

Nope, it's fence rail, pallet boards, some weldmesh, a bit of black water pipe, some screws, two half knackered bolts, a few cable ties and a length of rebar.

This is the end result:

Image0330.jpg

Aw, crap.

Image0329.jpg

Side view.

Image0328.jpg

So it used to be an old cattle crush, which as you can all see I spent a mint upgrading Next job will be to put down a concrete floor and fashion a footbath in it.

nice job, the heavy cable holding the shape at the bottom is a good idea

nice job, the heavy cable holding the shape at the bottom is a good idea

Half inch water pipe split open with a Stanley knife. Cut out the shape I wanted from the weldmesh and the pipe fits over the sharp ends, cable ties hold it on nicely. One handy tip for doing that job, get a big cable tie and put the thick end of it inside the pipe. As you move along draw the tie up along the pipe, help keeps it open to snap onto the mesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

reilig wrote: »
    I use him on all heifers - commercial and pedigree, and I have yet to assist one of them calving. He brings nice small calves at birth that are very lively and up and moving within a short time after birth. Tanko was out of Mas Du Clo - renouned for easy calving and favoured by a lot of farmers for heifers.

MUC has on of the hardest calving indexes in france

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Oh, unfrotunately tis a job I am all too familiar with John :(

We dont knock em tho, we just tie them by the neck to a gate (or whatever is around) Very advanced, so we are. :)
    Just use a rope, with a clip on it, and a O-ring about a foot back from the clip, so they dont choke themselves.

As for what causes it - I think in my case its dirty pasture. Another reason for paddocks. Right now, sheep are in about a 15 acre block. But they are in one piece all the time, eating it to the ground, lying there, covered in ****e. And dont touch more of it... Be better if I could get em to eat it, then move em on before it gets too dirty like...

I like the idea of the footbath, must do something like that myself, sometime...

You'll have no more dirty pasture with the paddocks :D My place is showing a bit of dung now too.

Spray dipped all the ewes I put in today as well. Am beside a wood with a little stream in it, awful spot for flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

MUC has on of the hardest calving indexes in france
    fully agree i don't no any pedigree men who would consider him easy calved. as for tanco i'd be very carefull using him on heifers. anyone use grahams apache?? very easy calving and nice figures in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

My wife's mare had this lovely foal this morning. A filly out of West Coast Cavilier. Mare is by Baron de Chantepe out of an Edmund Burke mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

lovley photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

158092.JPG

Purebred Charolais bull. Bosco out of a Leopold dam.
    Born last July and capable of putting on 2.6kg a day. Was fun breaking him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Alexander Supertramp

This is the end result:

(img)
    Aw, crap.
    (img)
    Side view.
    (img)

Great job John, nice bit of engineering. We would have the same problem ourselves up here and it usually ends up with the brother holding the sheep and me doing a spot of tidying. Do you use the ordinary wool shears for clipping the dung off?

Great job John, nice bit of engineering. We would have the same problem ourselves up here and it usually ends up with the brother holding the sheep and me doing a spot of tidying. Do you use the ordinary wool shears for clipping the dung off?

Just used an ordinary hand shears that was hanging up in the shed. No struggling, no second person needed, works for me :)

Image0337.jpg

Sundy wrote: »
    158092.JPG

Purebred Charolais bull. Bosco out of a Leopold dam.
    Born last July and capable of putting on 2.6kg a day. Was fun breaking him!

nice photo..thought i might just be able to make out the ear tag number and look him up on icbf but no ;)
    how did you train him, did you start him off in a crush? Im curious as I have young bull that i might try and train if he turns out ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Hah, you wouldnt find him on icbf:p

Didnt have to start him in the crush, the Gf has all the cattle very quiet so she has no problem catching them. Started on a rope halter when he was 4 months old or so, just left him tied for a hour or two. Never tie them where other cattle can beat them though or they will get nervous when on the halter.

After that i had him on a steel breaking halter. They are great things, doing another bull calf now, not sure id manage without it.

The put him back on a rope half with a nose clip. Couldnt believe the difference the nose clip made. Much quieter animal with it on. Used that till we ringed him. Would never pull on the ring or the nose clip. Just a light jink here or there.

Thats how i got him to where he is now. Was the first one we done so im guessing we didnt do some things the best way. Oh yeah and it takes plenty of time and determination too!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Meant to post these pics a few weeks ago but kept putting it on the long finger like allot of other things i'm supposed to be doing.

Anyway, a couple of red ELZ heifer calves and a Giga bull calf. And finally a very impatient heifer calf looking for a drink from mammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sundy wrote: »
    Hah, you wouldnt find him on icbf:p

Didnt have to start him in the crush, the Gf has all the cattle very quiet so she has no problem catching them. Started on a rope halter when he was 4 months old or so, just left him tied for a hour or two. Never tie them where other cattle can beat them though or they will get nervous when on the halter.

After that i had him on a steel breaking halter. They are great things, doing another bull calf now, not sure id manage without it.

The put him back on a rope half with a nose clip. Couldnt believe the difference the nose clip made. Much quieter animal with it on. Used that till we ringed him. Would never pull on the ring or the nose clip. Just a light jink here or there.

Thats how i got him to where he is now. Was the first one we done so im guessing we didnt do some things the best way. Oh yeah and it takes plenty of time and determination too!

Obviuosly he was still on the cow. So had you to be bringing them in? I didn't start training my lad til he was weaned. Managed it ok, but maybe younger might have been better.

So did you tie him in the yard? Where would you leave the mother? Tied with him ? You found the metal breaking halter good? Must get one and use it on the next lad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Meant to post these pics a few weeks ago but kept putting it on the long finger like allot of other things i'm supposed to be doing.

Anyway, a couple of red ELZ heifer calves and a Giga bull calf. And finally a very impatient heifer calf looking for a drink from mammy!

Nice stock there.

Is it hard to keep the grass down along by the ditch under fence? Is the double row to keep in the calves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

RobinBanks wrote: »

Nice animals, you should clean the camera lense, it could get you in trouble:D

• Advertisement

couple of parthenaise calves this evening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement