Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Rob2D wrote: »
    PSN is down at the moment.

Yeah its been down all day. If I unlock anything in MK now while its down will I lose it when the system is back up?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Doubt it. People have to play offline too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

PSN :pac:

Rob2D wrote: »
    Doubt it. People have to play offline too!

Thanks. The network is still down. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Thanks. The network is still down. :mad:

Could be looking at two more days apparently.

Source

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

You get what you pay for

Just bought it an hour ago.
    My first impressions are very very good..if I could get my befuddled brain around the block button.
    I also can't get used to the"ex" version of moves using the block button.
    Using default it seems very hard to hit for example x +lb in conjunction with a special.
    The x-ray moves seem a bit easy to pull of with just two buttons together resulting in your enemy losing serious life,but i guess time will tell whether its better to use "ex's" or save up for an xray

The tag stuff is way to much to handle at this early stage

It all seems nice and solid though with great animation and timing
    Any one got any good controller set ups as I'm using default.

Just went online:It ain't looking good on the actually getting a game front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

One thing I love about the game is the sound..........

it's wanktastic

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Pulling off juggles is tough :mad: and yeah getting my head around the block move is even tougher :(

why couldn't it be just hold back. well overall its a good game, just hard to get my head around it.

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Could be looking at two more days apparently.

Source

Thanks Sabre. They must have really hacked the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

They did a great job at capturing the best of the old and making it feel new. Feels like a real old school fighting game with great graphics, blood, chains, rust and grit.

Its a welcome break from cartoony fighters. I like MvC and SSF also and will keep playing them but this is a welcome addition to fighting games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

my thumbs are killing me.....finishined cthe tower....not worth it, skipped about 4 levels thats I'll have to go do..... the pain in my thumbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Kingpin187

liking it so far

Online will make me decide if its a keeper or not

Kratos is fun to play, but my fave character so far is Noob Saibot

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I was up until 3 playing it last night and I'm shattered. I'll be honest, I'm enjoying the game much more than I thought I would. The 1-player mode is probably the best I have played for a fighting game and the fighting system so far is very solid. I need to get into training mode with some youtube videos at my side to learn some of the larger combos.

I haven't toucher the online mode, but after the shambles that is MVC3 online, it has to be better.

So what are the initial impressions of the characters? Who do people feel will be top tier?

my thumbs are killing me.....finishined cthe tower....XXXXXXXXX, skipped about 4 levels thats I'll have to go do..... the pain in my thumbs!

Spioler alert please!

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I was up until 3 playing it last night and I'm shattered. I'll be honest, I'm enjoying the game much more than I thought I would. The 1-player mode is probably the best I have played for a fighting game and the fighting system so far is very solid. I need to get into training mode with some youtube videos at my side to learn some of the larger combos.

I haven't toucher the online mode, but after the shambles that is MVC3 online, it has to be better.

So what are the initial impressions of the characters? Who do people feel will be top tier?
    I'm wrecked here.

Character wise, Smoke, Noob and Scorpion are going to be spammed like crazy online just because of their teleport moves.

I'm liking jade and nightwolf atm, have to get a play with quan chi and cyber sub zero just unlocked them there. Cyber zero with my brief hands on in single player seems ok, though I'd probably take sektor over him, Think he's just a little too slow.

As for the combo's they don't come too easy, Highest I've gotten was a 13 I think and that was pure luck during the tower.

Out of the stock fatalities I will say that noobs is the dogs bolox, will check the second fatalities later today.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Spioler alert please!
    Sorry! I've edited it there, I thought it was fairly common knowledge as to what you get since there's an achievement/trophy for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

My highest is Sonya and that's because her X Factor is 10/11 hits :D Otherwise 3-4 if I'm lucky. Haven't played a lot still. Sooooon...

🤪

My only gripe so far is that most of the larger (both number of hits and damage) combos are juggle combos. Also, do people feel that there should be such a reward for first hit (an extra meter stock)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

The only reason I got this was owing to the offer that kneecap posted about so this wasn't quite as expensive for me. My first impression is that it is indeed a very well made and polished fighting game, although the online is a bit iffy ( though I imagine it will probably be something that will be looked at and fixed - and probably before Capcom bother with MvC3! )

I was pretty impressed by the 1 player modes, I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be looking at Capcom and saying ' THIS ' in regards to what was offered by the training option in MK9 as well as the story mode.

On the topic of story mode, I have to agree with futureguy and say that it was pretty damn awesome. Short but very well made. As expected, the bosses were cheap as hell but beatable with the right tactic, though I wasn't to keen on the fact that
    over 75% of the good guys die ( LOL, nice job Raiden! ) Though knowing MK lore, they'll probably be brought back to life as zombies or whole in the next game. They've also have the story for the next game set up nicely as well. Also handy that I unlocked Cyber Sub Zero and Quan Chi for going through story mode as well.

As for characters, based on what I've played from story mode and in my own time, I'm liking Johnny Cage, Kitana, Kung Lao and Cyber Sub Zero so far, need to spend more time with rest of the cast before I decide on any mains.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I was pretty impressed by the 1 player modes, I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be looking at Capcom and saying ' THIS ' in regards to what was offered by the training option in MK9 as well as the story mode.

Given that people have been pointing at BB and others and saying THIS with regards button selects for a long time, I doubt they'll care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This game has no button config from the pause menu, has to be done from the options menu.

This alone could kill this game as a tournament game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

This game has no button config from the pause menu, has to be done from the options menu.

This alone could kill this game as a tournament game.

How can game developers miss this ****?

At least in the options menu it has a decent button config.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

bush wrote: »
    At least in the options menu it has a decent button config.

Don't both players have to take turns doing button config?

Don't both players have to take turns doing button config?

:pac:

I didnt know that. I was only playing on my own. It would still be pretty quick. You can chose one of the preset configs on the character select screen too. Not sure how many there is or if they line up with any of the popular sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

What's everyone using as their stick config? When I was playing the demo I found the default setting a little iffy on a TE.

Just started using this one today
    Much much easier

FP Blk BP
    FK Tag BK

• Advertisement

Just started using this one today
    Much much easier

FP Blk BP
    FK Tag BK

Thats what im using too