Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

A-Trak wrote: »
    Apparently there's no reference to this on the box either, sneaky sneaky. A lot of 2nd hand buyers are going to get stung with this.

While the practice itself is bull****, not advertising it on the box is ****ing evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I think the online pass is fair enough. They lose so much money to gamestop etc who sell second hand games at basically full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You'll need to buy an online pass for 800MSP this as well if you intend renting it longer for 2 days and want online play.

Warner Bros are going the way of EA, so new purchases of the game come bundled with an activation code allowing online play.

So if you buy 2nd hand or rent, you get 48 hrs of online play free. After that you'll need to buy a code for 800MSP to play online.
    Apparently there's no reference to this on the box either, sneaky sneaky. A lot of 2nd hand buyers are going to get stung with this.

Joystiq Source
    Only 2 days? EA give 7 days trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I think anyone who plays Mortal Kombat at any sort of serious level needs their heads examined.
    The fighting system in MK is a fun game of "slaps" to decide who gets to do the fatality.

If the full MK9 plays anything like the demo, it will be AMAZING fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I won't be buying any game featuring online pass.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately these are April Fool's screens :)

1748726-gowmk_super.jpg

1748727-gowmk2_super.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

You'll need to buy an online pass for 800MSP this as well if you intend renting it longer for 2 days and want online play.

**** that, no thank you, I'll do wothout so

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

CliffyB said there was meant to be a cog in the game but Epic messed up and didn't get the character submitted in time or something. I bet it was his fault, all the bad stuff is.

You get an online pass when you buy the game. Whats the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

bush wrote: »
    You get an online pass when you buy the game. Whats the problem?

You know well what the problem is, you're being facetious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

unfortunately thats an april fools joke?

id look at it as being fortunate, why the **** would i want gears of wars in mortal kombat?

Placebo wrote: »
    unfortunately thats an april fools joke?

id look at it as being fortunate, why the **** would i want gears of wars in mortal kombat?

So that both guest characters' original games have the initials GoW?
    And besides, the Gears guys are actually a pretty decent fit for the universe, what with Stryker and co., plus the rampant Fatalities in Gears.

Stryker is an exception and at that given time unique. Army men do not fit it with ghostly warriors such as Shang Tsung and the likes. Its one thing putting GoW characters, who might add to match the scene, tad far sophisticated mind you but anything more than that is milking it.

Stryker is an exception and at that given time unique. Army men do not fit it with ghostly warriors such as Shang Tsung and the likes. Its one thing putting GoW characters, who might add to match the scene, tad far sophisticated mind you but anything more than that is milking it.
    Aren't Jax and Sonya army men?
    And as for sophistication, Sektor, Cyrax, Cyber Sub-Zero, Kano and Jax are all cyborgs :/ The Gears guys' most advanced piece of tech is a chainsaw duct taped to a machine gun.

Id main cole train, woooooo!

Sairus wrote: »
    Aren't Jax and Sonya army men?
    And as for sophistication, Sektor, Cyrax, Cyber Sub-Zero, Kano and Jax are all cyborgs :/ The Gears guys' most advanced piece of tech is a chainsaw duct taped to a machine gun.

Jax has metal arms.
    Sophisticated, i meant in their look. Mortal Kombat has an old, obscure lost world feeling to it. Sure some look like space mutants but they dont travel on space ships with huge heat seek ranging missels.

im not sure how i got into this debate but its fairly silly so OPTING OUT :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Sonya is an army man

Jax has metal arms.
    Sophisticated, i meant in their look. Mortal Kombat has an old, obscure lost world feeling to it. Sure some look like space mutants but they dont travel on space ships with huge heat seek ranging missels.

im not sure how i got into this debate but its fairly silly so OPTING OUT :pac:
    Discussing the merits of a Gears of War / Mortal Kombat crossover is never silly. You clearly haven't read my Noob Saibot/Cole Train slashfic.

(Also, most of Sektor's combat revolves around lock on missles :pac: )
    GorySnake wrote: »
    Sonya is an army man
    I spent several minutes before making that post rewriting and debating the merits of that line before I said **** it and left it in the post XD

lol at sektor, totally slipped my mind. Fair game you got me there HOWEVER
    sure throw tekken characters in there ?
    some marvel ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Don't know why you're so wound up about it Farz.

Sony have an exclusive character that fits really well with Mortal Kombat, so Kratos is in.

Most Xbox exclusive characters are a variation on the classic space marine look, so one of them might get shoehorned into the game. Or they could have a Fable style character.

Seeing as how Kratos definitely won't be appearing on an Xbox any time soon, it's likely to assume that most tournaments will ban the console exclusive characters, or one format will become the dominant version and its character will be allowed and nobody will care about the other one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

You know well what the problem is, you're being facetious.

I don't understand either the problem about online passes?
    The only folk it's aimed at hurting are retailers such as Game etc that buy back the game 2nd hand and then resell at close to original RRP, none of which the publisher or developer sees.

If you buy a new copy you'll get a bundled online pass that lasts for life, what's the problem there?
    If you're after a 2nd hand copy at a reduced price, then hopefully the retailer will eventually have to adjust the prices of games requiring a pass as the public simply will buy new or won't buy 2nd hand versions at all as the price as well as purchasing an online pass will be prohibitive.

Don't know why you're so wound up about it Farz.

Sony have an exclusive character that fits really well with Mortal Kombat, so Kratos is in.

Most Xbox exclusive characters are a variation on the classic space marine look, so one of them might get shoehorned into the game. Or they could have a Fable style character.

Seeing as how Kratos definitely won't be appearing on an Xbox any time soon, it's likely to assume that most tournaments will ban the console exclusive characters, or one format will become the dominant version and its character will be allowed and nobody will care about the other one.

I dont think Kratos, a war like god is comparable to Gears of war characters,
    i just dont think the GOW character fit in the scheme of things.
    Sure why not add in duke nukem.
    in any case its really diluting the game even with kratos. But beggars cant be choosers. Lets hope people support midway and purchase the game and get over their online pass dilemma

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

All I'm looking for is an XBox demo........ :(

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    All I'm looking for is an XBox demo........ :(

Check behind your couch you might find a PS3 down there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Doesn't look like there's going to be an xbox demo. Seems very strange how there was no deal mentioned with Sony getting the demo exclusively or anything. Had a look on ed boons twitter and there's plenty of people asking about it but he never even acknowledges the xbox.

Infact one of his latest tweets is in reply to someone giving out about the rumoured xbox dlc and he replys "who's they?".

You'd swear this is a ps3 exclusive. I wanted to try this with the xbox dpad aswell before I bought it too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

In fairness, how could Microsoft possibly trump Kratos?

Even if he is one of the worst characters in video game history.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Bush and Cobelcog would agree:

littlemasterchief.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

littlemasterchief.jpg
    So instead of purely unlike-able, you want the blandest "character" you can think of?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

littlemasterchief.jpg

You know you can already play as a Spartan in a fighting game, right?

Advertisement