Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurofen and Bloody Chemists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

yammycat wrote: »
    start with alcohol, that has no medicinal value, then worry about codeine

Other way around actually. people know the effects of alcohol and tobacco, and they don't take them for their medicinal effects. People do take Nurofen Plus for its medicinal effects, and therefore should be warned and advised of alternatives when they go to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Lightshow wrote: »
    That's exactly what I thought. This little bitch was having none of it though. Just downright refused to sell me the product I asked for. I'd say the owner of the shop would be furious to find out they were losing customers due to her attitude.
    'This little bitch' most likely had your welfare in mind. She asked you a number of questions to which you replied ' No, I want Nurofen PLUS', and from what you say I get the impression you came across as a little desperate for the more potent stuff, especially since she asked you if you had tried ordinary Nurofen and you said 'no'.
    There's been a lot in the media about certain pain-killers, their over-use and their dangers, being careful does not make her 'a little bitch'.
    I think your experience is down to your own attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

Other way around actually. people know the effects of alcohol and tobacco, and they don't take them for their medicinal effects. People do take Nurofen Plus for its medicinal effects, and therefore should be warned and advised of alternatives when they go to buy it.

I meant alcohol is a bigger cause for concern than the odd chap popping a few nurofen plus for the buzz, there aren't hordes of people on nurofen plus out on the weekend crashing cars and stabbing people in the face.

Perhaps when you go for a pint the barman should ask if you have tried coca cola and advise you that prolonged use can cause you to become addicted and binging can turn you into a homocidal maniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

That's exactly what I thought. This little bitch was having none of it though. Just downright refused to sell me the product I asked for. I'd say the owner of the shop would be furious to find out they were losing customers due to her attitude.

Yeah, they'll be living they missed out on your 8 euro.

Keep telling yourself that.

Sounds to me like you have a major chip on your shoulder because someone younger than you help a momentary position of power in a social exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Take the high road and head north, and feck this nanny state.

• Advertisement

That's a joke.. Codeine is great stuff and instead of telling people they can't have it, maybe they should just educate people and tell them it's an addictive opiate. God forbid you let somebody make their own decisions and be responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Something something - should really be shagging Saigon girls rather than posting on Boards - something something

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

jos28 wrote: »
    Had a look at the Pharmacists of Ireland site and got this
    http://www.thepsi.ie/Libraries/Consultations/Final_Codeine_Guidelines.sflb.ashx
    At NO stage does it say they can refuse to supply a customer. I use nurofen plus for back pain and got fed up being treated like a junkie so I stock up every time I leave the country. Most meds are half the price in the UK anyway

Half the price? its 57p in asda for 16 ibuprofen. no chemist required

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Vote with your feet, tell them you are doing so. The tune will change.

Something something - should really be shagging Saigon girls rather than posting on Boards - something something

It's 10.58am and it's boring waiting for a job to come along.. The backpacking's over and there's nothing to do before drinking at 6pm..
    Party Party Party. I'm in Asia so it must be a party everyday or I'm doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

It's 10.58am and it's boring waiting for a job to come along.. The backpacking's over and there's nothing to do before drinking at 6pm..

Better than being stuck on a bus dying for a leak :p

Can you get Nurofen Plus there?

You can buy anything here.. If I don't drink, I just get valium so I can sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

The first step in recovery from codeine addiction is admitting you have a problem :)

Its the ibuprofen that contains the anti-inflammatory benefits, not codeine. Codeine is derived from poppies related to morphine. Its a substance which should never have been made available through the chemist

Yeah, but they work, so....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Hope they don't start doing this with Calpol. I can't get enough of that sweet stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

WTF??? I know about the new rules and that they have to warn you about the possible side effects / problems associated with long term use, etc, but to downright refuse to sell it to me? She was a fecking Chemist, not a bloody medical consultant.

actually pharmacists get quite a good bit of medical training in their long college course, so they can consult with their customers about the drugs, (example: the over the counter morning after pill) in my personal experience with a pharmacist i know, he knows the drugs better if not more then any doctor i have met, because he deals with them everyday!
    I walked out and bought them in the Chemist 20 yards up the street without a problem.

Anyone else had this problem? I think some of these people are taking themselves a bit too seriously these days.

of course they are taking addictive drugs seriously, are you seriously wondering why they are not letting people just walk in off the street and buy these addictive drugs? the only reason you could before is because it only emerged recently these were extremely addictive. they are now trying to remove peoples dependency on them hence reluctance to hand them out.

it's not rocket science: addictive drug + addicted people = reluctance to hand them out without knowing you.

in fact it was extremely irresponsible of the one down the street to just give them to you, imo they should be reported for it.

/rant

That's a joke.. Codeine is great stuff and instead of telling people they can't have it, maybe they should just educate people and tell them it's an addictive opiate. God forbid you let somebody make their own decisions and be responsible.

i really do not understand? how is allowing people who make a decision to take an addictive drug responsible? how can someone be called responsible when they decide to take an addictive substance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I think it depends on which chemist you go to - I needed Solphadine yesterday (tooth and headache) the girl behind the counter said "you know about the Codeine don't you?" I said I did and she gave me out the box. I said to her "no third degree then"- she said "well once you're over 18 - we feel that you're allowed to make your own choice"....

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lightshow

Yeah, they'll be living they missed out on your 8 euro.

Keep telling yourself that.

My 8 euro, my next 8 euro, the 8 euro after that whenever it happens again and every one of the hundreds of euro that my girlfriend used to spend in the place every year. That adds up to a lot of euro.

Sounds to me like you have a major chip on your shoulder because someone younger than you help a momentary position of power in a social exchange.

"Sounds" like that dose it? Load of rubbish. I was my usual polite self during the entire exchange. I've been through these questions before and was happy to play along as I understand they have to do this before selling the product to comply with the regulations. It's only since then that I became annoyed about it the more I thought about it. The girl made me feel like I was trying to trick her into selling me the stuff. As I said previously, the older, more mature guy up the street went through the questions as required and then sold me the product without a problem.

Johro wrote: »
    'This little bitch' most likely had your welfare in mind. She asked you a number of questions to which you replied ' No, I want Nurofen PLUS', and from what you say I get the impression you came across as a little desperate for the more potent stuff, especially since she asked you if you had tried ordinary Nurofen and you said 'no'.
    There's been a lot in the media about certain pain-killers, their over-use and their dangers, being careful does not make her 'a little bitch'.
    I think your experience is down to your own attitude.

Again, there was no attitude on my behalf. I was a thorough gentleman throughout. And as for looking out for my welfare, I was clearly in distress and in considerable pain. How is selling me an inferior product to quench my obvious pain looking out for my welfare? This was a power trip, nothing else. Don't assume you know anything about my attitude during an event which you weren't present for.

they are now trying to remove peoples dependency on them hence reluctance to hand them out.

These rules weren't introduced as a result of lobbying by Pharmacists. In fact they were dead against them from the start due to the effect they would have on their profits.

It's not a Pharmacist's place nor concern to police what painkillers people take. This is just a combination of silly nanny state rules and a particularly anal individual on a power trip.

These rules weren't introduced as a result of lobbying by Pharmacists. In fact they were dead against them from the start due to the effect they would have on their profits.

It's not a Pharmacist's place nor concern to police what painkillers people take. This is just a combination of silly nanny state rules and a particularly anal individual on a power trip.

If you felt this individual was on a power trip i cannot argue with that BUT i don't think you understand it IS the pharmacists place to police what painkillers people take, in fact it's their job to do that, as mentioned previously they now recommend when in pain you take the following route

Pharmacist > Doctor > Hospital.

so for pain killing they would rather you go to a qualified pharmacist then your doctor, thus giving the pharmacist the right to treat you as they see fit. just like your doctor would. you wouldn't demand your doctor hands over a prescription for a drug would you? i personally would wait and see what he/she thinks is best as that's their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

U should do what I do.

I take nurofen plus for back pain, but have been told by 2 pharmacists that they can't sell it to me for back pain.

So now, I find the youngest, pimple-ist, ginger, insecure male person who works in a chemist. Say 'Can I have a large box of nurofen plus for period pain please?'
    Works every time - he gets so embarrassed he almost sells me the whole shelf load;)

Having said that, obvioulsy I'm female so this mightn't work for the OP, but perhaps do the same in reverse - find a young, pimply, bespectacled 17yr old and tell her you have a pain in your groin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Come on. You'd swear that before the ban the whole country was waiting for the chemist to open so they could score their next pack of solpies. Its not heroin we are talking about - actually it would probably be easier to get the heroin.

The vast majority of people who take solpedeine or neurophen plus use it sparingly or use it when they have a type of pain that nothing else will tackle. They are generally adults who we let drive cars, drink alcohol have children, take out mortgages etc. They take decisions every day and should be able to take solpedeine or neurophone plus if that is what they need.

Sure, have some screening in the pharmacy where you have to talk to a pharmacist about the effects but once the person requesting it seems to know why they need it and is a responsible adult just give it to them.

Experienced pharmacists have the judgement to do this. Newly qualified ones perhaps don't. They understand the science but reading people comes later on. Ask to speak to someone older or go to Newry.

If you felt this individual was on a power trip i cannot argue with that BUT i don't think you understand it IS the pharmacists place to police what painkillers people take, in fact it's their job to do that,

I hate to keep disagreeing with you as I'm usually such an agreeable chap, but it it certainly IS NOT a Pharmacist's job to police members of the public. The new rules were introduced as a disclaimer so that they couldn't be accused of negligence in the event of codeine damaging someone's liver. That's all. If they did have such a duty of care then it would be applied by ALL Chemists and not just a pedantic few.

If you read the regulations (as posted previously in this thread) then you'll see there's nothing in there which allows a Pharmacist to decide who they will and won't sell a perfectly legal product to, unless that person had been barred from their shop for some reason (toothpaste overdosing perhaps?)

Nurofen are available legally over the counter at any Chemist. And until this changes there is no reason why they should not be sold to the public at their request.

Fittle wrote: »
    U should do what I do.

I take nurofen plus for back pain, but have been told by 2 pharmacists that they can't sell it to me for back pain.

So now, I find the youngest, pimple-ist, ginger, insecure male person who works in a chemist. Say 'Can I have a large box of nurofen plus for period pain please?'
    Works every time - he gets so embarrassed he almost sells me the whole shelf load;)

Having said that, obvioulsy I'm female so this mightn't work for the OP, but perhaps do the same in reverse - find a young, pimply, bespectacled 17yr old and tell her you have a pain in your groin?

I am a bloke alright, but I'm DEFINITELY going to try this approach the next time. I can't wait to see the look on the pimply youth's face when I tell him it's for period pain. I may even tell him I'm about to go into labour!

Fantastic!! Thanks for the suggestion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i really do not understand? how is allowing people who make a decision to take an addictive drug responsible? how can someone be called responsible when they decide to take an addictive substance?

I'll be honest with ya kimono, I'd take this argument a lot more seriously if people got a "how much of this are you planning to take, you know it's addictive right" grilling before buying alcohol

I hate to keep disagreeing with you as I'm usually such an agreeable chap, but it it certainly IS NOT a Pharmacist's job to police members of the public. The new rules were introduced as a disclaimer so that they couldn't be accused of negligence in the event of codeine damaging someone's liver. That's all. If they did have such a duty of care then it would be applied by ALL Chemists and not just a pedantic few.

If you read the regulations (as posted previously in this thread) then you'll see there's nothing in there which allows a Pharmacist to decide who they will and won't sell a perfectly legal product to, unless that person had been barred from their shop for some reason (toothpaste overdosing perhaps?)

Nurofen are available legally over the counter at any Chemist. And until this changes there is no reason why they should not be sold to the public at their request.

ah i hate arguing too, it's the one part of AH i disagree with :D it should be all fun and games,

i'm just making the point of don't dismiss pharmcists as a glorified sales assistants, they do more college work then most other courses and it's a tough job, i know you were in pain and you thought you needed nurofen but try and understand how many codeine addicted people also came into the pharmacists looking for the same,

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0801/breaking40.html

so they have to grill you according to the new regulations, as for not giving it to you i can only assume you she mistook your pain and demanding of it for dependence and thus refused to sell it, although if this was the case as per the article i believe they should have ensured you got medical help.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'll be honest with ya kimono, I'd take this argument a lot more seriously if people got a "how much of this are you planning to take, you know it's addictive right" grilling before buying alcohol

i agree with that 100% but unfortunately i cannot see a barman going to college for 5 years to learn about the possible health implications of alcohol (like the pharmacists do to sell drugs) anytime soon, but i agree alcohol is also an addictive drug that should be regulated also.

ah i hate arguing too, it's the one part of AH i disagree with :D it should be all fun and games,

i'm just making the point of don't dismiss pharmcists as a glorified sales assistants, they do more college work then most other courses and it's a tough job, i know you were in pain and you thought you needed nurofen but try and understand how many codeine addicted people also came into the pharmacists looking for the same,

Aha! I've just figured it out. You're a Pharmacist, aren't ya :D

I absolutely appreciate their training and knowledge to be honest. I will always seek their advice as an alternative to going to a doctor (free advice vs €50 doctor's fee - no brainer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The whole point of the new regulations is that your chemist is your first stop medical consultant. They should never have been allowed sell codeine over the counter to anyone who wanted it anyway.

In the same way that you can buy 60 cigarettes & two bottles of whiskey over a counter if you so wished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

I am sure an experienced barman knows a lot more about the addictive effects of alcohol than most people, including some who have read about it in textbooks. They see it every day up close and personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

"She was a fecking Chemist, not a bloody medical consultant"

No, she was a pharmacist. Not only can she refuse in her full right to sell you nurofen plus she can also refuse to sell it to you even if you are a 'medical consultant' or get a prescription from a medical consultant. Pharmacists are deemed society's experts on medicine -not doctors- and the sale and consequences of medicines rest with them even if prescribed, if abuse is suspected she can refuse simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

EnterNow wrote: »
    In the same way that you can buy 60 cigarettes & two bottles of whiskey over a counter if you so wished?

Not in your chemist

Advertisement