Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurofen and Bloody Chemists

Options
  • 16-03-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I was in the chemists today desperate for some nurofen for a murderous toothache. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Some nurofen plus please
    Chem: Have you tried another pain killer?
    Me: Yes, paracetamol. It didn't work.
    Chem: Well I'd prefair if you tried panadol extra.
    Me: I've already tried paracetamol and it didn't work. Can I have nurofen plus please?
    Chem: Perhaps you should try regular nurofen instead.
    Me: I'd rather buy something that I know will work. Can I have nurofen plus please?
    Chem: I think you should try the nurofen.
    Me: I'd rather not. 12 nurofen plus please.
    Chem: No.

WTF??? I know about the new rules and that they have to warn you about the possible side effects / problems associated with long term use, etc, but to downright refuse to sell it to me? She was a fecking Chemist, not a bloody medical consultant.

I walked out and bought them in the Chemist 20 yards up the street without a problem.

Anyone else had this problem? I think some of these people are taking themselves a bit too seriously these days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

You should have projectile vomited on her.

They'd have given you the plus then.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Morgan Freeman

Back in my day we chewed freshly picked cow grass which helped a bit. The pain was something a man had to accept. Poppa told me if there was "no pain" there would be "no gain".

Red

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lightshow

OutlawPete wrote: »
    You should have projectile vomited on her.

They'd have given you the plus then.

The only thing I would have vomited on her at the time were teeth. Would have been quite a sight I suppose.

My rage was due to a combination of extreme agony and the fury at being lectured by some brat barely out of college. The 40 odd year old guy up the street was much more understanding, and willing to sell customers what they ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Is the chemist in question boots?

Yes. Why do you ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Its complete bull****. Either they are prescription or they are not!

If the are for sale over the counter and I am a paying customer then I am entitled to buy them.

This government may have ****ed up this country but they sure as hell arent gonna tell me how to manage my pain.

Now give me the tablets bitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Tell them you need it for its anti-inflamatery benefits - dunno how you mix that into your toothache story though

Id normally go for solpadeine for a toothache, although I did get the inquisition the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

Theres nothing like 12 nurofen plus to take the edge of a tootache.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just keep saying you've tried all the other options. They legally cant sell it to you unless you show your really in pain and have tried other options.

Or walk in with your arm hanging off ......

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Lightshow wrote: »
    The only thing I would have vomited on her at the time were teeth. Would have been quite a sight I suppose.

My rage was due to a combination of extreme agony and the fury at being lectured by some brat barely out of college. The 40 odd year old guy up the street was much more understanding, and willing to sell customers what they ask for.

Me Too Had the third degree went in for a pack of Solpadeine all these stupid questions have you tried Pandol ? yeah didnt work what do you want solpadeine for ?? i have back pain Chem try panadol i already told you they dont work can i have the solpadeine ?? Chem ok after a lot of soul searching I just said dont worry about it im not hard up for these Her face was priceless went up the road like youself to a independent chemist the girl gave me a pack no questions asked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

yammycat wrote: »
    Theres nothing like 12 nurofen plus to take the edge of a tootache.
    Makes for a cheap night out if you chase them down with a whiskey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

The first step in recovery from codeine addiction is admitting you have a problem :)

Its the ibuprofen that contains the anti-inflammatory benefits, not codeine. Codeine is derived from poppies related to morphine. Its a substance which should never have been made available through the chemist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

My local pharmacist told me that they are not allowed to refuse you. They have to give you the 3rd degree but have to let you buy them eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

I was in the chemists today desperate for some nurofen for a murderous toothache. The conversation went something like this:

Me: I've already tried paracetamol and it didn't work. Can I have nurofen plus please?
    Me: I'd rather buy something that I know will work. Can I have nurofen plus please?

WTF??? I know about the new rules and that they have to warn you about the possible side effects / problems associated with long term use, etc, but to downright refuse to sell it to me? She was a fecking Chemist, not a bloody medical consultant.

I walked out and bought them in the Chemist 20 yards up the street without a problem.

Anyone else had this problem? I think some of these people are taking themselves a bit too seriously these days.

Here's a typical dialogue that works:
    You: Can I have nurofen plus please
    You: I have severe sinus pain. I have paracetemol combined with ordinary nurofen and it has a limited effect.
    Chem: Ok are you taking an antibiotic have you been to the doctor
    You: Yes I am taking clavamoxcillin but I still have severe pain in the cheek area and a combination of nurofin and paracetemol doesnt work.
    Chem: Ok. you want 12 or 24

I am not a junkie but I suffer severe migraines and nurofen plus curbs it down to ordinary headache pain. I can't afford to visit the doctor for a prescription because I get these headaches on average once every two months and some last for 2 days!
    I use that excuse when I'm not at my local pharmacy or my regular

Just keep saying you've tried all the other options. They legally cant sell it to you unless you show your really in pain and have tried other options.

Or walk in with your arm hanging off ......

Is that actually true or just something you've heard? Doesn't sound like something you can realistically police to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The first step to success is, I suppose, a difficult one.

Good stuff OP.

jos28 wrote: »
    My local pharmacist told me that they are not allowed to refuse you. They have to give you the 3rd degree but have to let you buy them eventually.

That's exactly what I thought. This little bitch was having none of it though. Just downright refused to sell me the product I asked for. I'd say the owner of the shop would be furious to find out they were losing customers due to her attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

ITT: Junkie scum

pockets3d wrote: »
    ITT: Junkie scum

Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Go in screaming for morphine and then bargain down to Nurofen+? Would that work? :o:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

I encountered this for the first time yesterday. Although I had heard about the new rules, had completely forgotten so was taken unawares. I asked for some solpadeine and was hit with a barrage of questions, i.e. what are you taking it for?, have you tried regular paracetamol?, have you consulted your doctor?. At this point, the assistant still wasn't happy, so behind she goes to get the pharmacist and out she comes and repeats the same questions. WTF, were they trying to see if I would change my story?

I was fit to explode in a menstrual rage when thankfully the chemist gave the nod and I was finally allowed my fix. As I'm paying, the lady serving me then suggests that I should get a note from my doctor to avoid having to go through this ritual in future.

So I should pay my doctor 55 quid for a note saying that I might require a box of solpadeine on occasion? This is stinky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

That's exactly what I thought. This little bitch was having none of it though. Just downright refused to sell me the product I asked for. I'd say the owner of the shop would be furious to find out they were losing customers due to her attitude.

Had a look at the Pharmacists of Ireland site and got this
    http://www.thepsi.ie/Libraries/Consultations/Final_Codeine_Guidelines.sflb.ashx
    At NO stage does it say they can refuse to supply a customer. I use nurofen plus for back pain and got fed up being treated like a junkie so I stock up every time I leave the country. Most meds are half the price in the UK anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

She was a fecking Chemist, not a bloody medical consultant.

The whole point of the new regulations is that your chemist is your first stop medical consultant. They should never have been allowed sell codeine over the counter to anyone who wanted it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

They can refuse to supply a customer whatever they want whenever the fúck they want, provided that the refusal isn't on the grounds of ethnicity etc or that there is a real danger to the patient. And if there was a real danger then it's a fúcking hospital they need not a chemist. They're not a vending machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I'm f*cking sick of these new rules. It'd be easier to drive up north and stock up then having to deal with these assh*les.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

They should never have been allowed sell codeine over the counter to anyone who wanted it anyway.

start with alcohol, that has no medicinal value, then worry about codeine

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

that chemist shouldnt have refused you nuerofen plus for a tooth ache you should ring her superior...........or joe duffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Here's your mistake

That bit should have went like this:
    Me: I tried that and it didn't work either.
    Chem: Here's the nurofen plus then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Do pharmacies not fall under the same law that protects regular shops, i.e. that your offer to purchase something is merely a response to their technical invitation to treat? Which means that legally speaking, they don't have to sell you anything they don't want to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Prenderville, is that you boi?

Advertisement