Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurofen and Bloody Chemists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

You can walk into any pub buy as much spirits as you walk and literally drink yourself to death

You can walk into spar buy as many smokes as you like and literally smoke yourself to death

You can buy knifes to cut yourself

Rope to hang yourself

Matches to set yourself on fire

But if you want to kill yourself the handy way with afew tablets you cant

Ireland for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

trey99 wrote: »
    ok here is what i have noticed, all men hand them over no problem, but the women don't,

so i am a regular user of coedine espicially tramadol and tylex,

however when i run out of my prescription i go to get nurofen plus until i can get my new prescription.

if i am refused i will not be the nicest guy, i once told the pharmacist that if they don't give it to me i will see them outside afterwards and put them in as much pain as i am in.

or if not i just say i will go back and get it myself and if you wana stop me i will hurt you.

simple!!,

So you threaten to hurt the female pharmacists who refuse to hand the drugs over? Lovely. You don't sound like an addict at all
    and to answer everybody..

NO a pharmacist can't refuse you, let me repeat, CAN'T REFUSE YOU END OF!!

there not doctors, they just know about medicine, it is not their job to prescribe medication is it? no it is not, if that's what they wanted they could have become a doctor.

I'm pretty sure that becoming a pharmacist entails more that 'just knowing' about medicine. A degree in pharmacy perhaps? Makes them more qualified than you to decide what is suitable. (Also in the UK pharmacists can prescribe medication)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You can walk into any pub buy as much spirits as you walk and literally drink yourself to death

You can walk into spar buy as many smokes as you like and literally smoke yourself to death

Rope to hang yourself

Ireland for ya
    Thought you loved Ireland?

Anyhoo, it's a conspiracy - and people in pharmacies aren't abiding by the terms of their job, they're just trying to inconvenience people. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

Dudess wrote: »

Rope to hang yourself

Ireland for ya
    Thought you loved Ireland?

Anyhoo, it's a conspiracy - and people in pharmacies aren't abiding by the terms of their job, they're just trying to inconvenience people. Fact.

Love Ireland, just not those that
    govern this banana Republic

Likes that make it difficult buy tablets for intense pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ok here is what i have noticed, all men hand them over no problem, but the women don't,

so i am a regular user of coedine espicially tramadol and tylex,

however when i run out of my prescription i go to get nurofen plus until i can get my new prescription.

if i am refused i will not be the nicest guy, i once told the pharmacist that if they don't give it to me i will see them outside afterwards and put them in as much pain as i am in.

or if not i just say i will go back and get it myself and if you wana stop me i will hurt you.

simple!!

and to answer everybody..

there not doctors, they just know about medicine, it is not their job to prescribe medication is it? no it is not, if that's what they wanted they could have become a doctor.

there just there to make sure that they are giving people the right medication when they come in with a prescription, but im sure there is stupid enough pharmacists that have giving people the wrong medication.

ah for everybodys information, here is a lists of the chemists that do not refuse.

hickeys,
    mc cabes,
    doc morris,
    Well if you're going to act like a lowlife junkie, they are well within their rights to call the guards.
    Why can't pharmacists refuse? Because it's in your head they can't? It's the law and it's not their fault.
    Your thuggish attitude is a disgrace.
    If you need Nurofen urgently at times, get a fuhking doctor's cert so, for presenting to the chemist. Take some responsibility about the situation which isn't anyone else's fault, instead of acting like a fuhking bully. :mad:
    Oh and learn what a pharmacist is... :rolleyes:
    God I hate bullies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

They can also only sell one packet of say neurofen or panadol, walked up one day with both and was made choose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

You are 100% wrong on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

On the one hand I think the risk of addiction is overplayed though at the same time I don't doubt the estimated number of addicts. I had some wisdom teeth out a few months ago and got dry socket (ie. Painful) I was prescribed 3 days worth of a paracetamol/codeine tablet with 30mg codeine per tablet. When they ran out I took Nurofen+ and Solphedine every 2 hours offset by 2 hours during waking hours (ie. 2 Nurofen+, 2 hours later, 2 Solphedine, 2hours later, 2 Nurofen+ etc) The new legistlation was in already IIRC but showing the Pharmacist my packed socket meant he actually suggested doing the offset thing.

Anyway, after 10 days I knew I was ready to come off them and knew to expect a rebound headache. Sure enough, it arrived on schedule, I took ordinary nurofen and that was it. One days rebound headache and right as rain afterwards.

Heres the thing though. While the kind of milligrams I was taking for the wisdom teeth may have had a therapudic affect, the amount involved in a regular 2 every 4 hours dose of just one or the other is placebo in terms of pain relief. Elixba used to tell us that in the last big thread and I didn't believe him/her but have found it to be true. Ordinary Nurofen works just as well on my headaches as Nurofen+ used to do. Whats not placebo is the humour lift I used to get from them if I am honest. I knew myself that the little lift I was getting was more than just the relief from the headache going.

So to re-iterate, I never took more than 12 in a one month period for headaches or aches and pains, only Od'd so to speak during the 10 day wisdom tooth dry socket period, only had one rebound 'addiction' headache which I treated with regular Nurofen and while I think the risk of addiction in terms of how long it takes is overplayed, I do not dispute the rest of it, and now am one of the converted about the legistlation being correct. Unless you can show them a dry socket wisdom tooth extraction you probably shouldn't be sold more than 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Stupid over-qualified shopkeers! Just give me the damn drugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I say we all start taking Paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Got the third degree in boots today.
    Christ you would think I asked for a bag of cocaine by the head up on her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Back in my day we chewed freshly picked cow grass which helped a bit.

Chewing cloves works also! glad you got them easy down the road, some people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

OP, severe pain or not, staying calm and relaxed instead of repeating 'Nurofen Plus please' as though you were a junkie in need of fix would have helped.

The girl in the chemist had only your health and welfare in mind. She was not out to make you miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Lightshow wrote: »
    I was in the chemists today desperate for some nurofen for a murderous toothache. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Some nurofen plus please
    Chem: Have you tried another pain killer?
    Me: Yes, paracetamol. It didn't work.
    Chem: Well I'd prefair if you tried panadol extra.
    Me: I've already tried paracetamol and it didn't work. Can I have nurofen plus please?
    Chem: Perhaps you should try regular nurofen instead.
    Me: I'd rather buy something that I know will work. Can I have nurofen plus please?
    Chem: I think you should try the nurofen.
    Me: I'd rather not. 12 nurofen plus please.
    Chem: No.

WTF??? I know about the new rules and that they have to warn you about the possible side effects / problems associated with long term use, etc, but to downright refuse to sell it to me? She was a fecking Chemist, not a bloody medical consultant.

I walked out and bought them in the Chemist 20 yards up the street without a problem.

Anyone else had this problem? I think some of these people are taking themselves a bit too seriously these days.

I live in Dundalk, and shop in Newry. I buy what I want there, no questions asked.
    I also get free NHS prescriptions. I have a stock of co-codamol ready for when I need them.
    In Ireland it is ridiculous that you have to pay over the odds for a GP to write out a prescription, then over the odds for drugs. You have to justify your need to a Pharmacist to get the drug you want. Its a disgrace.

I live in Dundalk, and shop in Newry. I buy what I want there, no questions asked.
    I also get free NHS prescriptions. I have a stock of co-codamol ready for when I need them.
    In Ireland it is ridiculous that you have to pay over the odds for a GP to write out a prescription, then over the odds for drugs. You have to justify your need to a Pharmacist to get the drug you want. Its a disgrace.

Its embarrassing having to go through all of the questions when there's a line of people behind you listening to the show going on in front of them.

I'm sure some of these pharmacists get off on asking people all the questions and then refusing to sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

celj wrote: »
    Its embarrassing having to go through all of the questions when there's a line of people behind you listening to the show going on in front of them.

I'm sure some of these pharmacists get off on asking people all the questions and then refusing to sell them.

Pharmaceutical bouncers :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Its something chemists who were not listening in college don't understand, placebo, I know neurofen plus works because it is difficult to buy anything less then that will not be good enough,

I don't take pills in general, but I was in work and I busted my ankle bad, but I had to work I had no cover, a colleague gave me 2 N+ and I worked in no pain. I was astounded. If I am buying a painkiller I want the best, and that with a combination of placebo and the danger of it, is the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

celj wrote: »

It's true, I was in a pharmacy before and some old man asked for nurofen +, while questioning him, the pharmacist was whacking off in front of the whole shop!
    44leto wrote: »
    Its something chemists who were not listening in college don't understand, placebo, I know neurofen plus works because it is difficult to buy anything less then that will not be good enough,

I don't take pills in general, but I was in work and I busted my ankle bad, but I had to work I had no cover, a colleague gave me 2 N+ and I worked in no pain. I was astounded. If I am buying a painkiller I want the best, and that with a combination of placebo and the danger of it, is the best.

What are you on about placebo for? Do you know what a placebo is?

If you want only the best why not get your hands on some oxycontin or morphine? Wasting your time with nurofen+ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Same thing happened to me over xmas, was looking for Solphendine and she point blank refused without any questions even asked. Went into another chemists and was handed them straight away..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

A while back when I had the manflu and it wouldn't leave my system, I legged into a chemist saying I had headaches which just wouldn't shift and I had taken paracetamol for a few days.

Out of the blue, the girl gives me Nurofen Plus without me having asked for it or having the intention of buying the product. Just seemed so easy to buy when reading the difficulties people are having here.

• Advertisement

blaze1 wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me over xmas, was looking for Solphendine and she point blank refused without any questions even asked. Went into another chemists and was handed them straight away..

I was in a chemist and the pharmacist told me they were out of them,I could see a stack of them on a shelf behind her!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

blaze1 wrote: »

I wouldn't give you "Solphendine" either:pac::pac::pac:

It's true, I was in a pharmacy before and some old man asked for nurofen +, while questioning him, the pharmacist was whacking off in front of the whole shop!

What are you on about placebo for? Do you know what a placebo is?

If you want only the best why not get your hands on some oxycontin or morphine? Wasting your time with nurofen+ :rolleyes:

Do you?? because if you do and know how it works you may become a Nobel lauriette "Nobody knows" how it works but it does. So does its opposite nocebo used by witchs and witch doctors.

There is a placebo effect on advertised drugs like N+ they work a lot better then their generic counterparts. I know they work well on me so I do not want any what I perceive as an inferior product.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=placebo%20effect%20on%20branded%20drugs%20bbc&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fradio4%2Fscience%2Fplacebo.shtml&ei=aM8ZT_3qFYWKhQehkbnjDA&usg=AFQjCNHKQaL28mpO0ZV6RpazML3vHrqhGQ&sig2=_YkdBzLMOSmBn7rDTZsDpQ&cad=rja

There's no generic product equivalent to Nurofen Plus on the market.

bleg wrote: »
    There's no generic product equivalent to Nurofen Plus on the market.

Any generic drugs, say panadol as opposed to generic paracetamol the packaged advertised panadol works better. The same with anti depressants, they know it has something to do with the placebo effect but no-one knows how exactly that works.

It would be good if they could find out, it has a huge potential.

Any generic drugs, say panadol as opposed to generic paracetamol the packaged advertised panadol works better. The same with anti depressants, they know it has something to do with the placebo effect but no-one knows how exactly that works.

It would be good if they could find out, it has a huge potential.

I know what the placebo effect is and I know the effect of branded products. I was merely pointing out that there is no generic equivalent to Nurofen Plus so your talk of a placebo effect, in this instance, is irrelevant.

bleg wrote: »
    I know what the placebo effect is and I know the effect of branded products. I was merely pointing out that there is no generic equivalent to Nurofen Plus so your talk of a placebo effect, in this instance, is irrelevant.

Not really I believe it is the strongest pain killer I can get over the counter so therefore it is.

Which is why I object to the inquisition because any other product they will offer me will have a nocebo effect.

Not really I believe it is the strongest pain killer I can get over the counter so therefore it is.

Which is why I object to the inquisition because any other product they will offer me will have a nocebo effect.

Riiiiight...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Do you know what nurofen + is?

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Do you know what nurofen + is?

Don't bother.:D

Advertisement