Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Netherlands cricket world cup 2011

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Yep.
    A Lot to be proud of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wow, what a way to finish it off. Super chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

A decent haul of 4 points from an arguably tougher group, the Irish have impressed everyone with their disciplined and calm efforts and skill.. Hope the ICC have taken note and continue to encourage Associate teams..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Fox1978 wrote: »
    It's hard to tear yourself away at any shot because something can happen in an instance.

Ah, Fox1978 has caught the bug...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dpryor

Bizarrely, we now have 2 of the top 4 fastest centuries in World Cup history.

And two of the top 3 highest run chases in World Cup history.

It's a shame we couldn't finish the chase against Bangladesh, or we might still be in with a very slight chance. But, it's been an interesting and successful tournament nonetheless.

I hope the ICC doesn't ignore the team until the next WC as they always do once the matches against Sri Lanka end. We need as many matches against top competition as the schedule can accommodate to sustain the momentum the team's generated in the WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Vaioer

http://img864.imageshack.us/i/p1000585k.jpg/

G'wan YBIG!

Great trip, we have won a lot of hearts out here with our play.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,534 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What a condescending prick

Bob-Willis_2026183.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I actually thought Bob had some positive words for us there. Said we'd given a great account of ourselves, which is credit coming from him.

Reflecting on the situation for the next WC, I actually think 10 teams mightn't be the worst format as long as there is a proper qualification process. In this tournament we've performed better than Zimbabwe who'd be the other main contender for a spot in 2015. I thought 12 teams might be fair but there has been a lot of very poor cricket involving other associates in this tournament with the Dutch, Kenya and Canada just not being good enough at this level. Zim themselves have lost heavily against all the strong sides in their group.

This WC must be considered a huge success for Ireland. In every match there has been periods where we've had the opposition under pressure. Also, I think even if we'd beaten Ban first up it wouldn't have been enough to qualify anyway. Winning more regularly against top sides is only going to come with greater exposure to playing in big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Marshy wrote: »
    Winning more regularly against top sides is only going to come with greater exposure to playing in big games.

I disagree. I think actually playing against top sides more regularly is what is required. Playing a single ODI against England or Sri Lanka, as an exhibition match is nice for the supporters, but does very little for the team. A one off victory against a test nation in an ODI does very little. Sure we have beaten Zimbabwe and the West Indies in one off ODIs over the last few years, but nobody really remembers that.

I think we played nine ODI's against test nations between the last two world cups. This is disgraceful. We have to be playing at least 3 ODI series (or at least three games) against full nations, or mini competitions containing full nations each year.

Ireland have proven over the last 10 years that they are by far the strongest associate nation. Now they need to be given the opportunity to compete with full nations on a regular basis, otherwise we will not improve.

"Problem Ireland" needs to be addressed by the ICC.

randomer wrote: »
    I disagree. I think actually playing against top sides more regularly is what is required. Playing a single ODI against England or Sri Lanka, as an exhibition match is nice for the supporters, but does very little for the team. A one off victory against a test nation in an ODI does very little. Sure we have beaten Zimbabwe and the West Indies in one off ODIs over the last few years, but nobody really remembers that.

I think we played nine ODI's against test nations between the last two world cups. This is disgraceful. We have to be playing at least 3 ODI series (or at least three games) against full nations, or mini competitions containing full nations each year.

Ireland have proven over the last 10 years that they are by far the strongest associate nation. Now they need to be given the opportunity to compete with full nations on a regular basis, otherwise we will not improve.

"Problem Ireland" needs to be addressed by the ICC.
    I agree 100%. What I meant was we are only going to learn how to win the close games more regularly from playing against top opposition more often.

The difficulty is that the international schedule is already chock-a-block with fixtures so many teams will probably try and avoid having a banana skin type series against Ireland. That said it shouldn't stop us trying to get greater status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

We should send letters to the ICC and ECB containing just a giant triangle.
    I think being included in a triangular tournaments during the English summer with England and whoever is touring would be a perfect way of us getting involved. People seem completely sick of 5/7 match ODI series. With us involved, they get a similar number of games, it would break up the monotony of the same two teams playing each other and give us the chance of 2 or 4 games against good opposition in a competitive format. I'm sure the bean counters would be afraid of attendance figures, but I'd say we'd draw a decent crowd in England now, between our exploits in the World Cup and the number of ex-pats over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Marshy wrote: »
    Also, I think even if we'd beaten Ban first up it wouldn't have been enough to qualify anyway.

That's some consolation from that defeat at least. The West Indies loss actually turned out to be more crucial. A real missed opportunity, albeit a difficult one. The 'worm' on the cricinfo is frustrating just looking at it. http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket_worldcup2011/engine/match/433584.html?view=wormchart

Still, it's a testament to our potential that we did so well, and yet several of the team will feel they haven't done themselves justice.

We should send letters to the ICC and ECB containing just a giant triangle.
    I think being included in a triangular tournaments during the English summer with England and whoever is touring would be a perfect way of us getting involved. People seem completely sick of 5/7 match ODI series. With us involved, they get a similar number of games, it would break up the monotony of the same two teams playing each other and give us the chance of 2 or 4 games against good opposition in a competitive format. I'm sure the bean counters would be afraid of attendance figures, but I'd say we'd draw a decent crowd in England now, between our exploits in the World Cup and the number of ex-pats over there.
    That actually isn't a bad suggestion. Again the only trouble is trying to get the approval of the powers that be. There was a triangular series in England up until 2005, involving the 2 touring sides iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

Triangular series were ****ing posion and they've been struck off for a reason. While they might be good for us they aren't good watching or good business. I don't knock the idea for its purpose but they've cut those series out with good cause. It would only take us getting tonked once in such a series for everyone to go 'f**k sake we told you triangular series were rubbish'. And lets face it we're going to get tonked along the way as we grow

It would be much easier to ask the ICC to send every team that tours England over here for a week to play a couple of ODI's. 2 teams touring England every summer would mean 4 ODI's v Test Nations for us guaranteed. We should also play England at least once a year (here at first I suppose or at small English grounds that might get filled) and maybe increase it if it becomes popular.

That would be 5-6 home games v top level teams every year guaranteed. Throw in your big associate tournaments and try and wrangle another 3-4 games (via funding from the ICC or whatever) againt big teams and you'd have a challenging schedule all year round.

Advertisement