Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Netherlands cricket world cup 2011

Options
  • 16-03-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

Can we get a win over the dutch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Well I think we should win, and it's a good time for the top order to get runs, I would really like to see one of the openers make (100+), and also Joyce,

and Johnston to get some more wickets ;)...

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Ireland did the buisness against England but celebrated too long. Kevin O'Brien had a chance to get into the IPL but I think that has now gone. Ireland need to focus and beat the Netherlands to show that they are the best team outside the test playing teams

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

does anyone know how the order of fixtures was decided?

seems awfully coincidential that our first game was also bangladesh's second game and it of course home for them as well - also to then give us our most 'winnable' game last also sems a little bit too coincidential

india bangladesh first game of entire tournament with the 2 host nations that were in the same group also just happening to be the opening match....

it all reeks of the ICC angling things towards the full members, no? anyyone know the answer to how this order was worked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

does anyone know how the order of fixtures was decided?

seems awfully coincidential that our first game was also bangladesh's second game and it of course home for them as well - also to then give us our most 'winnable' game last also sems a little bit too coincidential

india bangladesh first game of entire tournament with the 2 host nations that were in the same group also just happening to be the opening match....

it all reeks of the ICC angling things towards the full members, no? anyyone know the answer to how this order was worked out?

Yes it was aimed towards full members 7 teams each group with 3 'weaker' teams but Ireland had a great chance with their group,once they had beaten England they should have gone on and not rested on their lorells

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

sgb wrote: »
    Ireland did the buisness against England but celebrated too long. Kevin O'Brien had a chance to get into the IPL but I think that has now gone. Ireland need to focus and beat the Netherlands to show that they are the best team outside the test playing teams

Yes it was aimed towards full members 7 teams each group with 3 'weaker' teams but Ireland had a great chance with their group,once they had beaten England they should have gone on and not rested on their lorells

Do you read what you write before you actually press submit reply?

How did Ireland "celebrate too long", or "rest on their lorells" (sic)???

Ireland followed up the win over England, which is one of the biggest upsets in any sporting event ever, by giving themselves a great chance against Indial They then were in a winning position against the West Indies and just came up short. It shows how far Ireland have come by the fact that people were so disappointed when we lost to the West Indies.

Against South Africa, we had them 120 for 5, and were in contention until we were blown away by two of the best bowlers in the world.

The chance of Kevin O'Brien getting into the current IPL was always slim, given that the IPL auction had already taken place, but Kevin has become a household name as a result of that amazing innings. I still think that if there is a chance for one of the IPL teams to snap Kevin up, then they will.

Why is it that so many "experts" emerge and feel the need to denigrate the achievements of the Irish team? Would it be too much to ask for some positive comments every now and then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

We should win but if sport didn't have upsets nobody would watch it

hopefully we win the toss put up 350 plus and skittle them for under 150 would love for us to go out with a big statement alarm clock is set come on boys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

but Ireland had a great chance with their group,once they had beaten England they should have gone on and not rested on their lorells

Laurels.

That is an unmitigated disgrace of a thing to say.
    Not only is it BS but it is unfair and stupid.

That Ireland team left nothing, not a scrap, in the pavillion.
    There was no resting on bloody anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I actually think it will be a good, close game. Netherlands, if they all perform to potential, have a couple of players in their batting side, whou could give Ireland a bit of a run around. I don't think they are a patch on Ireland, but they have it in them to give Ireland a tight contest.

Verdict: close-ish Ireland win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

ireland will need to be ready for a scrap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Can we get a win over the dutch?

Absolutely!

Will we? Whatever team plays the best will win, for sure.

Netherlands are no mugs but we are ranked higher so as long as the players perform as a team then we can raise a glass again and bow out with winning 2 games, and remembering that we were in with a chance against SA, India, Bangledesh and West Indies - I'm already looking forward to playing Sri Lanka and Scotland in July....not to mention the English game in August at Clontarf.

No matter what happens tomorrow - I'm very proud to be an Irish cricket fan. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Who's planning on staying up for this? I am :D

'we have taken our place amongst the nations of the earth...'

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

Lads is this game being shown in Diceys. I went to a couple of games there for matches but I'm not sure if this has been showing. With it being the last game and a low key one I'm not sure if they are bothering or not. Could someone let me know please. I don't want to trot all the way into town just to end up walking into an empty place with no game on tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭scheister

looks likes Holland will hit 280. I can see ireland reaching once they dont lose wickets to early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It'll be 300 plus if we don't take wickets.

Make that 320!

281/5
    4 overs to go.

I've no idea what the track is like, and what is a par score, but any score of 300 can't be taken lightly and a couple of batsmen will have to make big scores.

Not for a second do I buy into Ireland taking this game lightly (or having taken their eye off the ball post England) but I can't help feel this is a performance lacking a spark. It's been a testing tournament with high intensity and I just don't think our lads have been able to find that extra bit of oomph in this one that they have in the other games.

They are trying as hard as they can, and give Netherlands credit too, but this is a really undercooked performance. Losing Dockrell didn't help but we weren't exactly cruising when he was still on.

The only thing I can say is that all our batsmen have a point to prove so they get one last chance each to pile up the runs and make a contribution. You'd hope that is incentive enough for them to make that extra effort. They've all basically had one good knock each but they won't be happy with that.

Also I feel very sorry for Mooney today. How many outside edges for 4 can one man endure!

Rankins day summed up. Finally gets a wicket with a filthy full toss and its chalked off for a no ball and then he goes and bowls another no ball.

All our lads have done well through the tournament but there is no disguising the fact that he has been absolute garbage today :( sad end to the WC for him

What a last over.

4 wickets last 4 balls :eek: all run out :eek: :eek:

Don't change the fact that we need to chase 307 to win.

We're well able for this but does need a couple good partnerships

We were very poor throughout periods today - Mooney was very very unlucky

I don't understand how they didn't bring White in for Cusack and that would have giving us an additional bowling option.

Worried now we won't chase this...

• Advertisement

Stirling starts with a 6 and a 4......

The 6 a mis hit that flew over the slips

Edit
    Lol the swear filter works!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Why was Dockrell only given 4 overs to bowl today, lads? Surely 6 more overs of him keeping it tight was needed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Why was Dockrell only given 4 overs to bowl today, lads? Surely 6 more overs of him keeping it tight was needed

Just tuning in now, I'd assume Dockrell picked up an injury.

Clipping along nicley so far in reply, despite one or two dangerous moments. Looks like Stirling wants to knock KOB out of the history books!!

Dislocated shoulder diving to stop a ball.

Porterfield and Stirling riding their luck.

48 up after 7 overs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anyone have a stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Paul Stirling = The White Chris Gayle :D

Seriously though, a good start to the chase...always reckoned we could be up against it here as the Dutch will be treating this like their final while the Irish lads could be a bit deflated. Looks like its gonna be a close one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

what a powerplay. 81 runs

Stirling 50 off 25 balls, a bit streaky at times but some great shots as well.

84/0 after 11 overs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Please use the streams sticky at the top of the forum for stream requests/information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Trampas

leo varadkar at the game i see.

Advertisement