Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for D Class fighters!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CraigBrophy

Sid you dont sound condesending at all and thats probably the most helpful post so far ...

I have fights confirmed already so thats not a problem at all
    i have st johns ambulance sorted and the guy im running this with is getting doctors etc all set up and in place for the event
    I did intend to have Peter Lavery but due to this being a thursday night he is having difficulties making it down and as such i am trying to find a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Craig
    if you're in Cork there are a few local mma gyms who i'm sure will be able to help you out with advice & contacts of people who may sort out your woes.

I hope all goes well for you Craig & the event is a financial & safety success

D

you and me both mate but i am having difficulties with finding help really .... we see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

you and me both mate but i am having difficulties with finding help really .... we see how it goes
    mate no offence it's because you come across amatuerish. Best advice i can give you is refund any tickets you've sold and if you're really serious about this talk to mark , barry and paul cowzer they'll tell you what goes with running a bigger show as you wont be running a smaller show, the costs involved such as fighter purses, fighter accom, ref, judges, ring insurance etc. Then if you honestly feel like
    you can cover all expenses and make a profit for charity do it in a few months but i will say the biggest most proessional show in ireland posted a well documented lost in cork last year and chances are they might again this year.

the irish scene is over crowded with shows atm and most of the gyms will be sending fighters to shows they know and trust

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

Do you run a club?
    if so contact clubs that you have supplied fighters too and they will repay the favour I'd assume, if you have a club and not supplied fighters i doubt they'll want to back you.
    the Irish scene is over crowded with shows atm and most of the gyms will be sending fighters to shows they know and trust

Not aimed at Craig direct (probably slightly off topic)-I've heard more shows are been set up soon by business people who don't have clubs, basically people who don't love or know the sport; further diluting an already over full MMA scene

No skin of my nose but surely clubs wont supply fighters to people who's only aim is to make money?!

Years ago clubs all supported each other and it was in everyones benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Not aimed at Craig direct (probably slightly off topic)-I've heard more shows are been set up soon by business people who don't have clubs, basically people who don't love or know the sport; further diluting an already over full MMA scene

No skin of my nose but surely clubs wont supply fighters to people who's only aim is to make money?!

Years ago clubs all supported each other and it was in everyones benefit.

If it means fighters are paid better, then I can't see clubs refusing to supply fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Jayo_M wrote: »
    If it means fighters are paid better, then I can't see clubs refusing to supply fighters.

Not many people in Mma in Ireland fight for the money

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

But if all things being equal between say a show being run by another club and a show being run by a promotions company, plus the fighter gets paid more by competing on the show run by the promotions company, I'd presume most gyms wouldn't have an issue supplying the fighter to promotions company regardless of the reasoning behind the promotions company running an MMA event in the first place. That's all I was trying to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

But if all things being equal between say a show being run by another club and a show being run by a promotions company, plus the fighter gets paid more by competing on the show run by the promotions company, I'd presume most gyms wouldn't have an issue supplying the fighter to promotions company regardless of the reasoning behind the promotions company running an MMA event in the first place. That's all I was trying to say.
    Exactly how much money do you think fighters are getting paid??

Exactly how much money do you think fighters are getting paid??

It's not something I've thought about, but I don't imagine its alot. I don't think that makes any difference to what I'm trying to say either. I think its fair to assume that if a fighter is offered two fights they would generally accept the one offering the higher purse, regardless of whether one is run by a gym and one is run by a promotion. Obviously there are other factors, but I don't think the logic is too flawed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

It's not something I've thought about, but I don't imagine its alot. I don't think that makes any difference to what I'm trying to say either. I think its fair to assume that if a fighter is offered two fights they would generally accept the one offering the higher purse, regardless of whether one is run by a gym and one is run by a promotion. Obviously there are other factors, but I don't think the logic is too flawed.

In fairness i think he's fairly right. If i was offered the same fight on two shows with one show paying 250 and the other paying 500 the chances are i'l be competing in the second one.

Obviously there are other factors but i think he's not too far wrong!

I think perhaps the money part is superficial really as its only a small difference.

I think that if you fight on a show run by a club then that benefits your club behind you and has longer lasting beneficial effects for the fighter and the club behind him.

Unless the money difference was substantial it probably wont play a massive part in peoples decision to fight on a certain show. I feel the proven track record of fair matches, successfully run show, decent people running the show, etc all contribute far greater to which show would be chosen as the better place to compete.

Just my 2 cents :)

Fair enough, but just on the point on the "track record" bit - thats what I meant when I said "all things being equal" besides a)money and b)the reason they're promoting the show in the first place (i.e. whether its for the financial gain of a business or if its to promote the club, give experience to the clubs fighters etc). Obviously if you're part of the club you actually train with, then its a non-issue.

This is all hypothetical from my part as I've never competed, just trying to clarify my point - even though this is all horrendously off topic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

In general what shows you will fight on is decided by your coach so it makes sense that coaches support shows that will in turn support you back, For example im only putting amateurs on club show's from now on, as that way i'm helping some club and in turn the same would come back and support my show.

For Pro fighters the best paying show is going to be an obvious reason for choosing 1 over another but the money is low even on the larger attended shows so odds are the difference in pay would not be worth talking about, Craig do you run a club? if so surely you have contacts of coaches you have supported in the past.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

why?

besides you intend on being a dickhead and would never have the balls to say it to the persons face?

Obviously being a dickhead is one reason. And many take that attitude.
    But I said the boards is bigger than the MMA forum. For somebody such as yourself it makes sense to link the business with the forum, especially if this is the only forum you post on.

But somebody who also posts on the gambling forum, or even just in Afterhours, might not want those aspect of thier social life to be thrown up by google. Or, if they were out all night and missed work and were posting in a chat thread. Wouldn't be the first time some got found out by the boss that way.

On the other end, there are many "professional" forums, such as the one I moderate. Given the nature of my forum, it can get a bit messy at times. I rather that I can keep people in line while semi-anonymity (not my full name). Some people are pretty sad and take things personally. I've had people ring in up on the phone over stuff on forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

The internet if full of people taking the piss.
    Not everyone is being a dickhead tho and on the other hand some people take things written on a forum personally. I dont know who many of the people on this forum are or on the others i post in. But to be honest i dont care. So what if i get stick. Im used to it off Lois.

Clark Kent;)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Yeah very true barry we have a couple things in place to ensure the night is a success we have events on the second floor of Rochestown park hotel as well which has a bunch of bands playing and its looking like J90 will headline the event so between them we should have enough to make money for charity !

What bands are actually playing on the night then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Barry SeanScoil

Did this show take place??
    Was it a sucsess??

Advertisement