Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for D Class fighters!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Hi Craig,

Can I just ask you (as a potential customer and not in any official capacity or pretense) what's the background with your promotion.

Who's Refereeing
    Who's doing the medic requirement
    Is there any expenses for fighters / purses

I could go on but i won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

28th a thursday?
    Might be a problem for anyone travelling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

What is this D class? I thought we only agreed to A, B and C?

Rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

yeah and then we remembered that people will do whatever the hell they want

as always it'll come back down to the coaches deciding if a 'promotion' works by deciding to put fighters on it or not. as for me i'm only interested in shows that have Pro (A or B) and Am (new c) on them.

i wish you the best and you seem to be doing it for a noble cause with profits going to charity...but personally i'd rather have my fingernails pulled out than watch a 'show' with mma league fights on it. i predict a head squeezing fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

For charity or not you'll be doing well to get a large croud to pay for mma league rules unless there wasn full disclosure over the rules/fans didn't understand what D class means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

For charity or not you'll be doing well to get a large croud to pay for mma league rules unless there wasn full disclosure over the rules/fans didn't understand what D class means
    Think they mean its old C class rules. It says standing head shots are allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CraigBrophy

Yeah i think the rules may be closer to the old C class rules but as the new C class rules are i figured this is a step under it .... so anyone for some old C class rules fights ???

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

yeah and then we remembered that people will do whatever the hell they want
    :D

So this is a 2011 show using 2010 rules? I'm glad Peter is the one travelling from Belfast for this.

Charity idea is great, a step backward with rules, not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

What is the problem with using these rules?
    Its obvious that fighters/coaches and promoters still want to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Kal_El wrote: »
    What is the problem with using these rules?
    Its obvious that fighters/coaches and promoters still want to use them.

The rules suck, That's why-it's not proper MMA without grounded head shots, suited for kids and also for total beginners but not of benefit for learning good habits for MMA.

Lot's of shows have used these rules this year and i still have not seen anyone hurt using the GnP thank Jebus!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    The rules suck, That's why-it's not proper MMA without grounded head shots, suited for kids and also for total beginners but not of benefit for learning good habits for MMA.

Lot's of shows have used these rules this year and i still have not seen anyone hurt using the GnP thank Jebus!

Theres no doubt that the "new" c-class rules was a good idea. But do you not think that the "old" rules can be used too? Simply because people want them. Or do you think that its a bad idea to keep them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Theres no doubt that the "new" c-class rules was a good idea. But do you not think that the "old" rules can be used too? Simply because people want them. Or do you think that its a bad idea to keep them?

I think it's a bad idea to keep them on shows for the progression of MMA in Ireland-Doing the old c class and amateur league rules are ok to help gain confidense and for beginners or people who are scared to get hit in the head in MMA league format or on club shows such as Barry's which is geared for beginners-but as for learning good habits they are a no no in my opinion and also not great for growing a fan base either as they can be very boring when it hits the ground.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

ok is the general consensus that i change this to using new C class rules ???
    and if i did this would it prompt more coaches to send fighters into this ??? i want this to be a success or else ill be owing money rather than giving money to charity hahahahaahahahahaaa

ok is the general consensus that i change this to using new C class rules ???
    and if i did this would it prompt more coaches to send fighters into this ??? i want this to be a success or else ill be owing money rather than giving money to charity hahahahaahahahahaaa

Why would you do what people on an internet forum tell you?
    Its your show man. Do what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

In 40 odd posts that might just be the most sensible thing you have said.

Craig, do whatever you like, most people on here particularly those who use our real names only want what is best for a sport that although still in it's infancy, we have been involved in since day one.

There are too many shows already in this country and I'm afraid in the next year there are going to be some serious casualties of individuals dabbling in promotion. If you are a large production with plenty of finance you can "afford" to take a hit with a mostly empty stadium or venue, as happened in cork last year. But if not it's a big hit when you have paid everyone.

I Realize you want to do something for charity, but I am not too sure why you have set on mma, despite rumours promoters aren't clearing up the cash. To put on a show with what are at best mma league / old D class rules runs the risk of a very small pool of fighters and coaches willing to participate and an equally small carrot to fans to turn up and watch. Fights with no headshots end up looking like bad grappling and your average mma fan didn't really understand or embrace the no headshot rule.

I wasn't trying to knock your show, I don't want to see the sport take a step backward primarily. But I also don't want to see someone who is willing to do something for charity take a big hit. Works of genuine charity are few and far between these days. Personally I wouldnt try and raise money with an mma event even with the new rules, but good luck with it if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

these are not just people on a forum. these guys are experienced promoters and coaches , understand irish mma, want the best for the future of irish mma. so yes he should listen to "these people on an internet forum".

these are not just people on a forum. these guys are experienced promoters and coaches , understand irish mma, want the best for the future of irish mma. so yes he should listen to "these people on an internet forum".

I am well aware of who the few people on this forum are and what they have done for the sport of MMA in Ireland. But they do not own it. They cant dictate to people how to run there buisness. They can suggest things. The problem is on here you just get the feeling that if you dont do it there way you shouldnt do it at all. Its a bit elitist to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I am well aware of who the few people on this forum are and what they have done for the sport of MMA in Ireland. But they do not own it. They cant dictate to people how to run there buisness. They can suggest things. The problem is on here you just get the feeling that if you dont do it there way you shouldnt do it at all. Its a bit elitist to be honest.
    The sports moved on, roll with the times and what not.

If there wasn't an "elite" (though I hate that term) making decisions, then we wouldn't have the insistence on certain safety and refereeing/judging standards. We wouldn't have the new rules structure and that includes an A class format on a par with UFC rules and countless other things.

As it is with the "elitist" attitude, a guy who runs a supplement shop and fancies himself as an MMA promoter can put on a show without any experience and is told off the bat that he needs to do X, Y and Z, and has to have such a referee (from a panel of 4) and must provide judges and medics. We've all seen or heard the stories of what has gone before in some shows when no one insisted on this.

Elitism, the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

If there wasn't an "elite" (though I hate that term) making decisions, then we wouldn't have the insistence on certain safety and refereeing/judging standards. We wouldn't have the new rules structure and that includes an A class format on a par with UFC rules and countless other things.

As it is with the "elitist" attitude, a guy who runs a supplement shop and fancies himself as an MMA promoter can put on a show without any experience and is told off the bat that he needs to do X, Y and Z, and has to have such a referee (from a panel of 4) and must provide judges and medics. We've all seen or heard the stories of what has gone before in some shows when no one insisted on this.

Elitism, the way forward.

What refereeing/judging standards? i cant remember anybody agreeing to things like that in the new rules discussion, it could be just my memory ...

• Advertisement

wow wow wow lets not turn this into a flaming thread guys i appreciate everyones input here especially as they all have a ton more experience than me so yeah i take on board its up to me at the end of the day but to just stick to that would be ignorance ....

im matching fighters so once matches are made ill allow it to them if they wish to use head shots on the ground or not so then its open to them if they wish to go all for it or be tentative think thats the best option ....

anyways back to it anyone have any guys interested in coming forward at the moment im looking to match a middleweight light heavyweight and a heavyweight and a 74kg fighter also .... anyone got a guy to match these i would be delighted Email me if you want to get me directly or find out more about the guys im trying to match contact me at craigbrophy2@hotmail.com

Thanks guys i really appreciate it

im matching fighters so once matches are made ill allow it to them if they wish to use head shots on the ground or not so then its open to them if they wish to go all for it or be tentative think thats the best option ....

I think your right here with this. If people want "old" rules they fight "old" rules if people want "new" rules they fight "new" rules. Simple.

Well Kal El, let me ask you this- what other sport in the world would give you a menu of rules you'd like to compete under? What other sport would charge people good money to see a bastardised version of a sport? (and many of the fans will be uneducated and not know they're not going to see full MMA)

Oldman1, In emails back and forth, selection of judges was to be organised by the promoter and okayed by the referee. Believe it or not most of the discussion on rules took place off the boards.ie MMA forum :)

Personally Craig, I think whatever you want to do you should do. I would heed against thinking you'll make money for charity, maybe a better idea would be to do an MMA League style event and have the fighters get sponsorship? Putting on a show costs a lot of money. It can make money of course but you can also take a significant bath. That's fine when you're the man at the end but if there's a charity looking for a cheque at the end of it you could end up looking pretty bad.

Yeah very true barry we have a couple things in place to ensure the night is a success we have events on the second floor of Rochestown park hotel as well which has a bunch of bands playing and its looking like J90 will headline the event so between them we should have enough to make money for charity !

Okay well to go in with your eyes open (especially given the charity thing) give me a mail on barry@informedperformance.com or hook up with me on facebook and I'll send you on some of the standard costs such as cage rental, refereeing, medical cover etc. etc. That way you can make an informed decision on whether to go ahead with it. It's not cheap man and remember that a major and very high quality show had a very low attendance in Cork last year despite radio coverage, high end fighters etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's the problem, you are lookign at it like a business (that's pretty much the problem with the supplement shop guy having a bash at it). It isn't a business, its a sport first and foremost. The promotion and business aspects are minor secondary concerns

Hey guys i need a couple more fights to fill out the card these are the fighters im trying to match at the moment.

Will Jones - 110kg - (0-1)
    Will is predominantly a kickboxer with a 2-1 kickboxing record.

Luke Davis - 90kg - (1-0)
    Luke is also predominantly a kickboxer but has a good few months MMA experience also

Shane Manning - 86kg - (0-0)
    Judo Blackbelt. New to MMA but with his lengthy Judo back ground we would be looking for someone with a good background in martial arts

also have fighters at 74kg 65kg and 67kg whom are looking to compete so if you have anyone at these weights send me their details at craigbrophy2@hotmail.com and ill get back to you with more details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭robertbarry

saw j90 in galway a few weeks ago. They rock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭robertbarry

quays bar i think it was, you should make a point of catching them if you can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I think your right here with this. If people want "old" rules they fight "old" rules if people want "new" rules they fight "new" rules. Simple.

do you mind me asking who you are?

Advertisement