Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for D Class fighters!!!

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Another reason why you need (whisper it....) a representative governing body.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

DeVore wrote: »
    Another reason why you need (whisper it....) a representative governing body.

DeV.

They could still run either way so moot point, in the states there are hundreds of unsanctioned events and thats the home of the UFC and is as governed as it gets.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CraigBrophy

Hey Rob J90 are performing live at the event :) come along should be a good night and all for a good cause its confirmed now its Mary mount hospice and suicide Ireland who are the beneficiaries of this event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

do you mind me asking who you are?

Not at all Sid_Justice. Im nobody. And no need to tell me who you are because i dont care anyway. :)

Weights fighters are available at . Anyone who can match these weights and wants in give me a shout

110kg
    90kg
    86kg
    84kg
    74kg

Any help matching these guys is appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Weights fighters are available at . Anyone who can match these weights and wants in give me a shout

110kg
    90kg
    86kg
    84kg
    74kg

110kg doesn need a match, It's heavyweight so can be 93-120 kg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

86kg?

74kg?

Right.

Your both right :) it dont need to be an exact match guys just close as please within the weight limits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Why not just have people compete under the standard weight classes?

I am mate like i said within the weight limits i am just posting their current weights is all as some are willing to move up or down considering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

86 should be 84 and that 74 at the very least should be 73...or for barry's sanity 70, 90 is up to 93 kg.

sure like i said this is just their current weight some are willing to go up or down a weight class to get a match :) Anyone interested

sure like i said this is just their current weight some are willing to go up or down a weight class to get a match :) Anyone interested

AAAAHHHH! Sure tis grand sure up and down the weights we go sure tisn't it only an oul bitta kneeing in the head if things go wrong? And sure how wrong can ya go with novice fighter fighting 2 classes above their level and a novice promotion!

This MMA lark is nothin at all. Sure anyone can do it.

so i made a post not being entirely formal and you take it that i am being stupid? I have said its not up and down the weights i have said its the weight they are currently at and some fighters asked about other opponents and what weights they were and have requested to be informed about fights in more than one weight bracket.

But yeah thats the same as a knee in the head being nothing and fighting two classes above themselves when all fights are C class only. Exact same definitely. :):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

When MMA promotions go bad?

I think this is what happens when someone with no experience in MMA promotion tries to put on an event without having sought any advice from anyone with experience in either MMA or MMA promotion.

Like I said earlier in the thread, great that charity is the goal, but to be honest Craig I wouldnt touch refereeing this with a very very long stick, and I know Peter isnt driving from Belfast on a Thursday for what appears to be a shambolic attempt at an event. So god help who is refereeing.

Maybe stick to having some bands play and do a table quiz?? Lot less hassle and no one is at risk of getting seriously hurt.

2 levels above their level:

A Class- "UFC" style rules

B Class- "Strikeforce" style rules ie no elbows

C Class- Amateur rules with padded gloves

Amateur- shinpads and big gloves al la EFR/IP shows

MMA League- total novices

Judging from the fighters and clubs you've posted so far, I think they should give the league a go next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Craig,
    Firstly fair play for trying to put on a show with charity in mind your idea was honourable. I would listen to the advice of Dave & Barry, they know their stuff. (I have lost count of the times that Dave has saved a fighters life in the cage with his reffing experience to start with.)
    If any of the fights you put on are mismatches & someone gets hurt YOU can be done for negligence as the promoter.
    I know you'll say its just C-class fighters but there are lads out there who watch for events like this so they can fight with the knowledge they have no real of losing as the competition is not at their level. I'm reminded of a certain purple belt who used to stalk MMA league competitions.

Secondly I have been at a lot of events with top irish fighters competing & I have seen them bomb with poor attendances. The Irish MMA community (&that WILL be the guts of the crowd who will attend) will not shell out 20-35 notes plus travelling expenses to see basically novices grapple badly with each other or the scenario mentioned above where a young lad gets murdered in a mismatch.

It was a nice idea Craig but remember the road to hell is paved with good intentions, listen to Barry & Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 CITMMACLUB

God!! Its only a show! arnt ye all very good looking out for poor craig.. Actually im sure craig can look out for himself and should take my advice and do what ever he wants!

No fighter is going to be pushed into the cage and forced to fight. im sure any one fighting is happy to go with what ever rules are decided upon!

Some one said there is too many shows in ireland.. :o that was a stupid comment.there should be more! weekly comps and monthly shows in every county. look at boxing, some thing every night of the week!

the truth is actually, mma is beng pshed by money! shows = money

and for people with experience putting on shows, let craig learn, this is his experience! if this one goes well he might do more! and they can only get better! ya? no?

If ye are worried about him or the show, offer help!! get involved and dont ask stupid questions.

all that goes on here is criticism and negativity.

idiots :pac: :pac: :pac:

Craig,
    Firstly fair play for trying to put on a show with charity in mind your idea was honourable. I would listen to the advice of Dave & Barry, they know their stuff. (I have lost count of the times that Dave has saved a fighters life in the cage with his reffing experience to start with.)
    If any of the fights you put on are mismatches & someone gets hurt YOU can be done for negligence as the promoter.
    I know you'll say its just C-class fighters but there are lads out there who watch for events like this so they can fight with the knowledge they have no real of losing as the competition is not at their level. I'm reminded of a certain purple belt who used to stalk MMA league competitions.

Secondly I have been at a lot of events with top irish fighters competing & I have seen them bomb with poor attendances. The Irish MMA community (&that WILL be the guts of the crowd who will attend) will not shell out 20-35 notes plus travelling expenses to see basically novices grapple badly with each other or the scenario mentioned above where a young lad gets murdered in a mismatch.

It was a nice idea Craig but remember the road to hell is paved with good intentions, listen to Barry & Dave

Thanks for the advice and while i agree the boys do have a world of knowledge their are going to be no mismatches i have full backgrounds and the fighters and have taken all the steps i can to ensure matches are fair i ain't ignorant to the fact that people can get hurt and as such i am makgin sure fights are fair that their is suitable precautions taken like trying to get the referee's that have proven themselves to be the best around and have literally taken all the criticism without really arguing back at all because i respect the fact that their is alot of knowledge on these boards ... but you can all stop saying don't do this event cause its happening ... im after an audience that i already have had great interest from and have a couple hundred tickets sold so dont worry about that side of things either ... and by golly gee wizz someone on these boards defended me ???? holy **** hahahahaha look i would love to learn and i am going to but i will do this show and i will do everything i can to ensure its a success ... fights are confirmed venue booked etc etc ... hope to see you all their !!! :)

At the end of the day Craig nobody on here can stop you.
    The problem is these people do know what they are talking about but for some reason instead of giving advice properly they slabber and bitch and come across as MMA snobs.
    The best thing to do is do it your way. If clubs dont like it they wont come thats there choice. As long as every fighter is safe and the fans enjoy the night your on to a winner. No matter what the hundred or so people on here say that will be how you judge if you have a place in the MMA cuircut in Ireland. If someone gets hurt, because of your neglegance in not following the accepted rules that are in place, your doomed. The people on here are very influential they will be able to boycott you in future.Your running that risk. Its your call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mmmm...not sure

i dont get how because the guy is a newcomer to putting on shows people automatically think hes going to mismatch fights its going to be the same as any event clubs will put their fighters and they will agree to a fighter for their fighter its not going to be all hush hush and you turn up on the day not knowing who your fighting, give the guy some slack if he messes up then by all means criticise him and boycott shows but dont do it before the show when you dont know what safety procedures this guy has sorted out, there has been bigger shows with mismatches on them so you cant assume this guy will do it because hes new, people will have to be given chances.

Insomnia has kicked in so Craig here goes.

Here is your first post
    An Troid - Irish MMA organisation looking for D class fighters (with standing head shots, no grounded head strikes), to compete in Cork city ...

All fights in the cage - large crowd expected. Should be a great event !

Now is the time to put all that training to use - No pretenders need apply !

April 28th
    Rochestown park hotel
    Ticket deal available for fighters

Proceeds going to two charities

Tir na nOg Orphanage -
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tir-na...e/190380647840

Suicide Ireland -
    http://www.suicideireland.com/

1. There is no D class
    2. Who is refereeing, judging and medical crew?
    3. This is a Thursday night in Cork, are you 1. serious? 2. paying fighters,coaches, referees, judges accomodation if travelling from outside cork?
    3. There are head shots allowed in whatever rules you are using so that means day before weigh ins? So how will they be done, by videos? by everyone at the venue 24 hours before? Will you pay another nights accomodation for those travelling from outside cork?

Here is one of your later posts
    im matching fighters so once matches are made ill allow it to them if they wish to use head shots on the ground or not so then its open to them if they wish to go all for it or be tentative think thats the best option ....

Do you know how 1 disorganised that sounds? 2 Unsafe?

Here is another post

110kg
    90kg
    86kg
    84kg
    74kg

They arent weight classes. As a "promoter" you should post the weight classes of the fighters you have, not some equivalent you have made up to see if A will cut to B and B will eat whatever he likes and move up to fight A.

I hope you can see how amateurish and dangerous some of what you have posted has come across.

If you read back through my posts, I was actually trying to be constructive for you. I am replying to you only because along with Robert Barry and Barry Oglesby you are the only one using your real name. I try to avoid dealing with people who lack the maturity to post without hiding behind a user name other than their own unless I absolutely have to.

Good luck with your show, I believe you will need it.I hope for the sport that no one gets injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I am replying to you only because along with Robert Barry and Barry Oglesby you are the only one using your real name. I try to avoid dealing with people who lack the maturity to post without hiding behind a user name other than their own unless I absolutely have to.

This isn't a professional forum like Linkedin.com, nor is boards.ie soley based on the MMA community in Ireland. A lot of posters here are involved with other forums, and in reality, using your real name online is never a good idea.

Many posters, that use a screen-name, are just as identifiable in real life as a poster, like you, using his real name.

For the record i was not telling Craig not to listen to the advice here. Just that he dosnt have to. He can do what he likes and noone can stop him. That is the problem here. The guys obv dosnt know what to do or where to go for help. But then neither did John Ferguson at the start he never set foot in an MMA gym in his life and hes built Irelands biggest promotion. He done some things his way and still does but for the most he listened to advice when it was given. If the people on here really want to keep the sport safe they should realise that more shows will come and more clubs will open and instead of coming across as bitchy you should be friendly and point them in the right direction. Maybe a sticky on here with contacts to people who know how to go about things the way everyone expects.

If you are professional in your manner and are polite in your posts then I don't see the problem. If you want to post with the grammar of an 8 year old and the thought processes to match then maybe there would be a problem. Not all posters who make up a screen name are idiots but many are.

Kal_El wrote: »
    For the record i was not telling Craig not to listen to the advice here. Just that he dosnt have to. He can do what he likes and noone can stop him. That is the problem here. The guys obv dosnt know what to do or where to go for help. But then neither did John Ferguson at the start he never set foot in an MMA gym in his life and hes built Irelands biggest promotion. He done some things his way and still does but for the most he listened to advice when it was given. If the people on here really want to keep the sport safe they should realise that more shows will come and more clubs will open and instead of coming across as bitchy you should be friendly and point them in the right direction. Maybe a sticky on here with contacts to people who know how to go about things the way everyone expects.

That has happened plenty of times. Cage Contender being the prime example, and yesterday I received a call from another first time promoter who is intent on running a good, safe show. People with any experience know that their first port of call is not to ask the audience.

How about this, wild idea. Instead of pronouncing on the internet that you're thinking of running a show, why not keep it yourself, get some phone numbers, some contacts, research the rules and regulations and then come up with a business plan. Then, maybe, you're ready to go live to the boards.ie MMA forum.

Okay so it's for charity, and I respect that, but I think there are better methods of getting money than by putting on an MMA show (I've done a few so I'd know).

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

Mellor wrote: »
    A lot of posters here are involved with other forums, and in reality, using your real name online is never a good idea.

why?

besides you intend on being a dickhead and would never have the balls to say it to the persons face?

That has happened plenty of times. Cage Contender being the prime example, and yesterday I received a call from another first time promoter who is intent on running a good, safe show. People with any experience know that their first port of call is not to ask the audience.

How about this, wild idea. Instead of pronouncing on the internet that you're thinking of running a show, why not keep it yourself, get some phone numbers, some contacts, research the rules and regulations and then come up with a business plan. Then, maybe, you're ready to go live to the boards.ie MMA forum.

Okay so it's for charity, and I respect that, but I think there are better methods of getting money than by putting on an MMA show (I've done a few so I'd know).

I agree completeley Barry. Like i said i think the guy needs help not criticism. Its just that many times on here the senior guys that should know better come across as snobish. Like you all look down at the noob. You gotta understand that being like that to people will just drive them to do what they want to spite you and you cant do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Kal_El wrote: »
    I agree completeley Barry. Like i said i think the guy needs help not criticism. Its just that many times on here the senior guys that should know better come across as snobish. Like you all look down at the noob. You gotta understand that being like that to people will just drive them to do what they want to spite you and you cant do anything about it.

Not talking about this thread as i'm not too up on it all,but often its clear the noobs are in it for the wrong reasons and are ignorant to the needs of the sport-this is a recipe for disaster and could seriously taint our sport, it's understandable people want there sport to be ran safe and right.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

CraigBrophy do you mind addressing the questions I made in the 2nd post on this thread?

I appreciate your an MMA fan and have fine charitable intentions. But just because you've a few Judo friends willing to 'fight mma' for charity doesn't mean you should promote your own event. I don't think anyone from any established club in the country will commit to sending fighters to your show if you don't explain

the refereeing situation
    the medical situation
    and the compensation involved.

I'll make a guess you have no referee organized because it sounds like neither David Jones nor Peter Lavery (most active referees in Ireland) are involved. Have you been in touch with the MMA club in your area, are they going to referee?

Do you appreciate that the medical cover needed for a MMA fight of any description is more thorough then a typical martial arts. While st John's ambulance crew will be a start, and the bare minimum I'd suggest you research what else is necessary to run a safe MMA event.

If you take the MMA league rule approach, I think it's fair to say you can minimize the for a 'qualified' referee or a cage side doctor, but obviously from a promotion point of view you want to have at least C class. This is a dilemma you need to solve.

As the event is for charity, I'd imagine you're not expecting to pay anyone to fight or compensate for travel expenses. This is fair enough but do understand that people will not be queuing up to fight for free, in an amateur event with no experienced referee, judges or table staff.

If you have actually already sold tickets for this I'd suggest you get your skates on if you want to follow through with this event and encourage as much participation as possible. Just as a minor word of warning, and I apologise if I sound patronizing or condescending but you may do more trouble than good to your own name, and the charities names if your event is a disaster in terms of money and organisation or more seriously, if someone gets their teeth knocked out and comes calling for compensation.

Advertisement