Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHELTENHAM - DAY 2: Wednesday 16th March

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Dolphie wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if Barry Geraghty is riding tomorrow. I heard he was suspended. Any news?

http://www.irishracing.com/v5newsitem?prid=51682

One day suspension apparently, would have liked to have known that before I put my bets on for tomorrow! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Dolphie wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if Barry Geraghty is riding tomorrow. I heard he was suspended. Any news?

Got a day ban but won't be active for another while as far as I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dolphie

That's what I am curious about. I see both Boylesports and Paddy Power are still listing him as a rider tomorrow. Ah well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Yeah, it'll be after the festival, sometime next week.

Tenor Nivernais and Somersby would be big winners for me tomorrow but Wayward Prince would go a long way to covering my out lay.

I don't know whether to get stuck into the Coral Cup. Whos actually studied the form of the race? Any one found a big price worth looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Don't worry, as the lads have said the ban doesn't start for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

bookerboy wrote: »
    All i'm hearing today is Agean Dawn.I've been advised to put my house and everything in it on this horse.
    I've never backed a horse in my life but am considering going for it in a fairly big way.
    Any advice here?Should i go each way or for a win?

One of the most competitive handicaps of the week with at least a half a dozen horse laid out for it for months. Wouldnt be putting house on anything in the race

P.S. my nap of the day for non stop also runs in the race and lots of people will have fancies

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

1:30 - Some Target

2:05 - So Young

2:40 - Time For Rupert

3:20 - Master Minded

4:00 - Call The Police

4:40 - Tenor Nivernais

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

13:30 141st Year Of The National Hunt Chase Challenge Cup (Amateur Riders' Novices' Chase)
    11 points each-way (22 points total) on Chamirey at SP

Bet on Chamirey for real at

14:05 Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle (Baring Bingham Novices' Hurdle) (Grade 1)
    10 points to win on Tornado Bob at 11/1

Bet on Tornado Bob for real at

14:40 RSA Chase (Grade 1)
    10 points each-way (20 points total) on Wymott at 10/1

Bet on Wymott for real at

15:20 sportingbet.com Queen Mother Champion Chase (Grade 1)
    12 points to win on Captain Cee Bee at 9/1

Bet on Captain Cee Bee for real at

16:00 Coral Cup (Grade 3 Handicap Hurdle)
    8 points each-way (16 points total) on Orzare at 25/1

Bet on Orzare for real at

16:40 Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle (Grade 3)
    10 points to win on Dhaafer at 16/1

Bet on Dhaafer for real at

17:15 Weatherbys Champion Bumper (Standard Open NH Flat Race) (Grade 1)
    10 points to win on Cheltenian at 14/1

Bet on Cheltenian for real at

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ALBUR182

mike65 wrote: »
    Oscar Whiskey placed in todays big race is decent!

True, but judging by his splits in previous races, he had enough to beat Hurricane, so I'm presuming the firmer ground didn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Have settled on So Young, Time for Rupert and Sizing Europe... still scratching my head about the first race though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Will Alfa Beat go the extra distance do you's reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Gillington wrote: »
    Will Alfa Beat go the extra distance do you's reckon?

It's hard to tell really.

I do think Chicago Grey will gallop all day long though and has some good runs around Cheltenham this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭immature ejaculation

1.30- alpha beat, 2.05- so young, 2.45 - time for rupert, 3.20 - master minded, 4.00 - aegean dawn. 50cent lucky 31

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ALBUR182

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Who would ye lads fancy in the 2:05 and 1:30?

2.05 Tornado Bob E/W

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Heard good things? 11/1 is nice.

I'm doing an accum, so would rather go safe and keep the singles to outsiders like them.

Might scrap the 1:30 and pop on Agean Dawn in the Coral....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Very, very tough day for the punter this one.

For Non Stop is extremely well handicapped, that is for sure. The others are more speculative. Aegean Dawn has been shopped 26lbs. He was a handicap good thing but like King Fontaine, the handicapped could well have had his say.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to second guess Ruby Walsh and Willie Mullins :o Call the Police and For Non Stop for short prices but Busker Royale (least), Aachen (next) and Dantari (most) catch my eye at bigger prices.

What is the word about Alfa Beat? I can't see why he's fav ahead of Chicago Grey. Makes no sense. I am always tempted as much as anyone to buy into the hype but I manage to restrain myself most times. Chicago Grey has the best form in the book and should be favorite. Thats that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

2:05 Minella Class @ 10/1, Aikman @ 20/1 and So Young @ 5/2 (tiny double with Call The Police)
    2:40 The Giant Bolster @ 25/1
    3:20 Woolcombe Folly @ 9/1
    4:00 Song of Songs @ 50/1, Ballyhaunis @ 16/1, Lightning Strike @ 33/1 and Call The Police @ 11/2 (as part of the double mentioned earlier)
    4:40 Akula @ 28/1
    5:15 Oscar Magic @ 14/1

Small stakes just for interest watching. Did the double as I feel that some of the outsiders may not get a look in so will be entertaining watching the favourites at least in contention! Had a good day yesterday with 5 wins and 2 places. I will be in profit for the festival overall (unless I go nuts with my stakes, which I'm not doing :D small stakes is all) so I'm happy to back outsiders and hope to get in contention with a few. My biggest stakes are on The Giant Bolster and Minella Class in the first 2 races. The double being the smallest stake. The rest are all the same :D

Seriously...theres a gambling forum if thats all your interested in. If you want to talk about the relative chances of each horse then your welcome but its boring just hearing about peoples random, unexplained bets.

If only we had a moderator in this forum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

Nulty wrote: »
    What is the word about Alfa Beat? I can't see why he's fav ahead of Chicago Grey. Makes no sense. I am always tempted as much as anyone to buy into the hype but I manage to restrain myself most times. Chicago Grey has the best form in the book and should be favorite. Thats that.

Alpha Beat is very strongly fancied, hasn't been run since the Kerry National to keep his mark and everything has been geared toward this. Its Byrnes so there's always that danger that he'll be pricking but I don't think this is such a time - the money is down for Alpha Beat backed from 7/1 to 7/2 and Byrnes rarely leaves gambles behind him.

On Chicago Grey, the horse has been good to me ever since the Galway Festival in the summer but tbqh he's a grinder and I think the long season will take it out of him, can't see him winning but wouldn't be surprised to see him place.

The Pipe runner Sona Sasta is intriguing from the p.o.v that I watched his two races and he won at a canter but the way he won suggested to me that he could go further - I do think he'll be better over further. He's got a big engine and he's a super jumper so I think he'll make the frame.

CG is clearly a very tough horse that takes his racing well. He's been rested for 2 1/2 months and Elliot knows his horses as well as Byrnes knows his. Fair enough, in the case of the two trainers the one that takes the most money is the biggest tip but CGs form is far and away better than Alfa Beats. The betting on the day is far more relevant than the betting in the lead up to the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Seriously...theres a gambling forum if thats all your interested in. If you want to talk about the relative chances of each horse then your welcome but its boring just hearing about peoples random, unexplained bets.

If only we had a moderator in this forum...

All DAY 2 tips/selections etc to be posted here.
    First line of the thread.

I have no 'tips' so I posted my selections. I don't see why you have an issue with people posting their selections. I, for one, know little about horses so why would i give an explanation for each bet? I posted my reasoning below my selections as to why they were chosen.

Your obvious hint at you being considered to be a moderator I hope will be overlooked because, as the quote shows, posting selections is one of the main points of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

CG is clearly a very tough horse that takes his racing well. He's been rested for 2 1/2 months and Elliot knows his horses as well as Byrnes knows his. Fair enough, in the case of the two trainers the one that takes the most money is the biggest tip but CGs form is far and away better than Alfa Beats. The betting on the day is far more relevant than the betting in the lead up to the race.

He's a stayer for sure but I still think he's going to find it tough tomorrow; it's a very hot race.

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Here's my d-d-d-onks.

1:30
    Chamirey - e/w @ 18/1
    Major Malarkey - e/w @ 25/1
    On His Own - e/w @ 40/1

2:05
    Minella Class - e/w @ 10/1

2:40
    Mikael D'haguenet - e/w @ 10/1

4:00
    For Non Stop - win @ 13/2
    Walkon - e/w @ 18/1
    Arcalis - e/w @ 22/1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Whats the going like today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shaugh13

same as yesterday good/soft good in places

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I agree but its festival week, its plenty of people who dont follow racing, just go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

For the 3.20 chase which is best for the win Big Zeb or Master Minded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cunninstunt

Anyone rate Wymotts chances for the RSA?

Advertisement