Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBG City Center

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

At SBG, we're better than you. And we know it.

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

i'm not sure how you read that into what i said? apologies if it came across that way, was not my intention.
    i was just pointing out we're not so much into labels in training. just if they work or not. i dont like the 'brazilian' in BJJ, just jiu jitsu would do imo. and in fact i dont even like 'jiu jitsu' anymore, would prefer to call what we do just 'grappling' as our techniques are influenced from wrestling, judo etc etc.

if someone was looking to join my gym and was very specific in wanting to learn 'thaiboxing' then i would recommend they join a 'thaiboxing' gym as we are not one. if they just want to learn 'stand-up' fighting then i believe we can help them with that as it relates to MMA. SBG fighters/coaches like owen roddy, conor mcgregor, keith coady, myles price etc have some of the best striking in irish mma.....in my opinion of course....although looking at their performances i think most would agree.

i'm not sure how you read that into what i said? apologies if it came across that way, was not my intention.
    i was just pointing out we're not so much into labels in training. just if they work or not. i dont like the 'brazilian' in BJJ, just jiu jitsu would do imo. and in fact i dont even like 'jiu jitsu' anymore, would prefer to call what we do just 'grappling' as our techniques are influenced from wrestling, judo etc etc.

if someone was looking to join my gym and was very specific in wanting to learn 'thaiboxing' then i would recommend they join a 'thaiboxing' gym as we are not one. if they just want to learn 'stand-up' fighting then i believe we can help them with that as it relates to MMA. SBG fighters/coaches like owen roddy, conor mcgregor, keith coady, myles price etc have some of the best striking in irish mma.....in my opinion of course....although looking at their performances i think most would agree.

I could almost take the first line of your post and repost it here :D

It wasn't a dig or snide comment in any way - just a 'funny in my head' moment (you get the dodgeball reference in it I hope!)

(you get the dodgeball reference in it I hope!)

i actually didnt...:o although in my defence i have man-flu and am on quite the concoction of painkillers right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I see Judo has been added... awesome... Would love to try it... Are we talkin with the costume : ) or Karo style mma judo ? Can it be taught (or learned) without the gi or does it make a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I'll defo be hitting up the Judo class. I presume Luke's doing that class?

Gareth McNamara Judo Black Belt and European BJJ Silver Medalist takes the class.

its 'proper' judo in the gi :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Gareth McNamara Judo Black Belt and European BJJ Silver Medalist takes the class.

its 'proper' judo in the gi :)

Get him to show you his unique "Ascendor" move.

yeah it was prob a stupid question wasn't it... Cool beans... Now to source a Cheap ass judo Gi!! Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

think they are 40-50 quid in mullins

• Advertisement

Cheers for that! Good old Mullins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

That was a reference to the Dodgeball movie. That's the motto of the "Bad guy" team. "At Globo gym. We're better than you and we know it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Any plans to have wrestling classes at the new location?

in time, keep an eye on the timetable :)

in time, keep an eye on the timetable :)

Excellent - cheers

Change of time

thursday 'MMA Striking' - 6-7:30pm effective from April 28th

Extra Class

monday 'boxing' - 6-7pm starting May 9th (next 2 mondays are bank holidays)

'Official' Opening 12 May 18:00 - 21:00

Official opening of SBG City Center branch with SBGi President and Founder Matt Thornton there to cut the tape!
    Also in attendance will be Irish MMA Champions Ais the Bash, Cathal The Punisher Pendred, Myles Price, Conor McGregor as well as international stars Arni Isaksson and Gunnar Nelson.
    Everybody welcome and its free of charge to come along and bring your friends.
    Afterwards we'll be heading to http://www.mercantilehotel.ie/entertainment/ and then NV

Boxing ?
    Well that's only bleedin deadly
    Gettin into this in May!
    Oh I think a BJJ / Boxing / Judo Combo would be just freakin awesome aaaahhh I need to get fit... (puts down Easter egg goes for run)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

Boxing ?
    Well that's only bleedin deadly
    Gettin into this in May!
    Oh I think a BJJ / Boxing / Judo Combo would be just freakin awesome aaaahhh I need to get fit... (puts down Easter egg goes for run)

and changes username to somethin less fattening!! haha

I'm sick of the 'Nutella is Fattening' argument... 1 jar a day is fiiiine... as long as you run 15 miles while youre eatin it.... all in moderation

Hi John,

Regarding drop-in non scheduled rolling, is the gym available all the time outside of classes?

Cheers,

Paul

• Advertisement

yes, 12-9pm mon-fri :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Hi John,

Regarding drop-in non scheduled rolling, is the gym available all the time outside of classes?

Cheers,

Paul
    yes, 12-9pm mon-fri :)

John you mentioned you might be setting up a facebook page to allow members to see if anyone was interested in meeting up for a roll outside of class times... any word on that?

done, thanks for reminding me :) search for 'SBG City Center' on FB and join

another judo class added to timetable

sbg%20city%20centre%20timetable%2027.04.11.png

all welcome to the opening this Thursday from 7pm. tbh im not sure exactly what format it's going to follow but there'll be a big group of us there anyway so drop in say hello and check out the gym :)

for the opening 7-9pm will be 'open mat'. plenty of guys training or you can just stroll around check the place out n chat with the coaches.

more classes...

starting from mon 23rd
    wrestling
    tues/thurs 5-6pm
    sat 2-4pm

...so thats 18 classes a week now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bagels90

for the opening 7-9pm will be 'open mat'. plenty of guys training or you can just stroll around check the place out n chat with the coaches.

more classes...

starting from mon 23rd
    wrestling
    tues/thurs 5-6pm
    sat 2-4pm

...so thats 18 classes a week now :)

great stuff. whose going to be the wrestling coach???:)

sp_1310_clip13.jpg

SBG City Centre ***NEW kids / teens MMA classes***
    Starts Mon 18th July: Teens age 12+ / 4pm-5pm / €6 every Mon & Wed
    Starts Sat 23rd July: Kids club age 6+ / 11am - 12noon / €6 each Sat
    ***Family Discounts may apply.....contact Peter on 0872476480***

Advertisement