Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBG City Center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I was about to comment on another thread about this. Two full time gyms...surely someone as skilled should be running the second one :p ?

Another announcement pending ?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

oh i shoulda mentioned coaches

i'll be coaching the lunch time classes and in the evenings Arek Sternalski will coach the BJJ and Myles Price kickboxing.

there's still some details to be ironed out and i'll add them to this thread over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Best of luck with it John.

I'm sure with SBG's pedigree it'll be a huge success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Best of luck with it and congrats on SBGs succcess Saturday night, very impressive display!

Question: Are the two gyms being run separately or if one was a Longmile member can they go along to the Dame St classes as well?

they are being run separately but there will be special rates for those wanting to use both gyms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

It's funny, but the very club where I used to continually try to get guys into BJJ for years :rolleyes: and could barely get anyone to overcome their hesitancy to try it - is now becoming a BJJ club !!!! One of the interesting things that I found why I tried to interest TKD guys down in Exchequer St, was that the higher the belt the more reluctant they were to try ! More generally I'd have to get a yellow belt or some low rank to act as my BJJ dummy to do a simple practise drill or anything ! I'd doubt if this was unique to TKD but would happen to Karate, Kung Fu, boxer etc but I think that when someone gets up the gradings, is a black belt or whatever, their's a reluctance to try a completely new style as they fear it will make them look poor !

Well I hope I'm not lecturing, but the thought often occured to me if Gerry Martin or Brendan O'Toole should have tried branching out and getting a BJJ instructor to run some BJJ classes there. A bit like the Wild Geese MA club on Pearse St. http://www.wildgeesema.com/ I suppose Gerry and Brendan had their own good reasons, possibly they were interested in having just a TKD club only, but they also had from time to time, Yoga and Door Man's fitness etc. But another important issue is the cost of parking around that area, maybe about €7 for 2 hours which I'm sure had an effect on membership.

Best of luck with it anyway SBG, looks like MMA is going to continue to expand for the future so it should be a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

they are being run separately but there will be special rates for those wanting to use both gyms

Excellent stuff :)

I'll be heading up to join SBG Longmile on Tuesday, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I'd doubt if this was unique to TKD but would happen to Karate, Kung Fu, boxer etc but I think that when someone gets up the gradings, is a black belt or whatever, their's a reluctance to try a completely new style as they fear it will make them look poor !
    That's a familiar story. People will be people after all.

Best of luck with the new place John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Fantastic news!!!

Perfect location too - very near the Stephen's Green Luas stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

The gym looks fantastic, one could even say it's ready to move into, without need for any construction work/alterations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pronoiaparty

I can not think of a more ideal location. :) Any idea yet of an actual date that this will be opeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

4th April as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Are you keeping the sauna in there? :) I always thought that this was an ideal location and would have been great for other martial arts classes but alas to no aveil and the moving on of the Tae Kwon Do centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Brilliant stuff!! Good luck with the club!
    Couldn't ask for a better setup and location!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Any word on an opening date/schedule? Thanks

just back from portugal and going in to the gym tomorrow to see how the work is coming on. from all accounts we're on track for monday, april 4th opening :)
    should have timetable etc by wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Performance Martial Arts

The very best of luck with the new gym John!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Best wishes for the new place John!!

Dyin to check it out - it was already a cool setup for a martial arts club with the changing rooms, balcony, weights, bag stations and a good mat! MMA slap bang in the city centre...awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Vaporlock

i know i might get alot of stick for this question,just wondering does everyone who trains in sbg get graded and if i join the one in town will be graded??

• Advertisement

Vaporlock wrote: »
    just wondering does everyone who trains in sbg get graded

yes, if they make the grade ;)
    if i join the one in town will be graded??

yes, if you make the grade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

i know i might get alot of stick for this question,just wondering does everyone who trains in sbg get graded and if i join the one in town will be graded??

Its all about the journey:)

looking good for mon April 4th

Timetable to start with attached (if that worked??)

as things take off we'll be adding judo/wrestling/boxing/pilates etc

the first week all training will be free, so drop in and see what you think. gym will be open daily from 12-9pm and sat 12-2 to start with. you can come in any time for a roll. unlike sbg longmile we will have a full time receptionist so will have pay as you go options for those who dont want to sign up. special rates for students/unemployed

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Snow joke

special rates for students/unemployed

What about unemployed students? :D

is there a different type? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

looking good for mon April 4th

Timetable to start with attached (if that worked??)

as things take off we'll be adding judo/wrestling/boxing/pilates etc

the first week all training will be free, so drop in and see what you think. gym will be open daily from 12-9pm and sat 12-2 to start with. you can come in any time for a roll. unlike sbg longmile we will have a full time receptionist so will have pay as you go options for those who dont want to sign up. special rates for students/unemployed

are all classes suitable for beginners? i.e. bjj witout the gi??

all classes will be 'without the gi' to begin with.
    these classes will be ideal for beginners, everybody will be starting from the same level.
    ....you'll get the idea when you train with SBG that all levels can train together, intensity varies but we always concentrate on posture and high percentage techniques :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

all classes will be 'without the gi' to begin with.
    these classes will be ideal for beginners, everybody will be starting from the same level.
    ....you'll get the idea when you train with SBG that all levels can train together, intensity varies but we always concentrate on posture and high percentage techniques :)

cheers, hope to make it over monday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

See you Tuesday at 12

• Advertisement

Deadly deadly stuff! Will be there Tues!

Advertisement