Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zuffa purchases Strikeforce

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Denners

Fozzy wrote: »
    What has he ever said about Scott Coker? I remember him laughing at Coker comparing himself to Bob Arum but he usually says that he's got no problem with Coker, just with Showtime

I remember when Hendo was negotiating with SF Dana was in the same restaurant and when asked did he say hi, he said he did to Dans manager but not to Coker because he is f*****g dick or something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I am not happy about this at all. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Denners wrote: »
    I remember when Hendo was negotiating with SF Dana was in the same restaurant and when asked did he say hi, he said he did to Dans manager but not to Coker because he is f*****g dick or something to that effect.

I can't find anything about Dana saying anything bad about seeing them in the restaurant apart from him calling Dan ugly :pac: He's often said that he has no problem with Coker, it's not something new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Fozzy wrote: »
    What has he ever said about Scott Coker? I remember him laughing at Coker comparing himself to Bob Arum but he usually says that he's got no problem with Coker, just with Showtime

I vaguely remember him talking about what a joke he is. Can't remember where I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Yeah Daley better get comfortable fighting outside America. He'll probably join Bellator or something. This is great for the Strikeforce champs, they have a great case for no.1 contendership. Imagine Melendez V Edgar/Maynard and Diaz V Penn/Fitch, Jacare V A.Silva, Hendo V Shogun/Bones, The Reem V Velasquez/Lesnar/Dos Santos. Some awesome fights in this. The best fighters in the world fighting each other, nobody loses......*

*except showtime

I think its good for us fans but not the top fighters.

Now at the end of their contracts they have the choice to negotiate between Strikeforce and the UFC both owned by Zuffa.

Henderson got his big contract just in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hendo only has 1 fight left on his contract though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The more I think about the more I approve this purchase by Zuffa. The reason I approve this is because if Zuffa do what they say they intend on doing with Strikeforce by keeping them operational and having them on Showtime. It means that there is two healthy promotions that are competing against each other to put on decent shows. Yes, they are under the same company but the fact that Zuffa now offer variety is decent move. It also means that Strikeforce's financial future is very safe providing Zuffa don't do something unbelievably stupid.

One thing people have to realise is that Tito and Dana made up after war, which was apparently very serious and personal. Hendo and Dana don't seem to have beef on that big of a scale compared to Tito and Dana. If Hendo keeps winning the way, he is and his contract comes up for renewal we could see Hendo back in the UFC. Saying that I don't think Paul Daley will be in the UFC again. He hates Zuffa with a passion and yes, what he did was totally wrong. There seems to be pretty bad blood between Daley and Dana.

One thing I hope that happens with this takeover, is that Rogan & Goldie take over commentary for Strikeforce because Strikeforce's commentators are bloody annoying (bare Miletech), especially Ranello.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

unknown13 wrote: »
    One thing I hope that happens with this takeover, is that Rogan & Goldie take over commentary for Strikeforce because Strikeforce's commentators are bloody annoying (bare Miletech), especially Ranello.

Bas & The Voice FTW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Crazy news. Will be keeping an ear open for any news on this as details are very vague but I'd say it will be a good thing for the (good) fighters anyway as Zuffa should be either bringing them into UFC or improve the production values of SF. Would be mental to see integrated like WEC, would be adding some great match ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

The more I think about the more I approve this purchase by Zuffa. The reason I approve this is because if Zuffa do what they say they intend on doing with Strikeforce by keeping them operational and having them on Showtime. It means that there is two healthy promotions that are competing against each other to put on decent shows. Yes, they are under the same company but the fact that Zuffa now offer variety is decent move. It also means that Strikeforce's financial future is very safe providing Zuffa don't do something unbelievably stupid.

One thing people have to realise is that Tito and Dana made up after war, which was apparently very serious and personal. Hendo and Dana don't seem to have beef on that big of a scale compared to Tito and Dana. If Hendo keeps winning the way, he is and his contract comes up for renewal we could see Hendo back in the UFC. Saying that I don't think Paul Daley will be in the UFC again. He hates Zuffa with a passion and yes, what he did was totally wrong. There seems to be pretty bad blood between Daley and Dana.

The only reason Zuffa will continue to run SF seperately is because of all the different deals and contracts that are in place for the next few years. Make no mistake, when these deals run out SF will folded into the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

seadnamac wrote: »
    The only reason Zuffa will continue to run SF seperately is because of all the different deals and contracts that are in place for the next few years. Make no mistake, when these deals run out SF will folded into the UFC.

Would think the same as this.

Daley not too happy

http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs/paul-daley-threatening-to-pull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Bas & The Voice FTW!!!
    Frank Shamrock is the most annoying commentator, Mauro is ok Bas and the Voice were awesome together, Bas the voice and Miletich/Mauro would be a good combination.
    Anyone see Shark Fights with Bas and Don Frye commentating that was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Fromvert wrote: »

Daley not too happy

Ah well, he made his bed, he'd better get used to lyin in it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The reason why Zuffa are destroying these competitors is simple, by been the only big show on the block they can pay low money to there fighters,by buying these there going to save on money in the long term in wages due to not needing to compete with other organisations, this is not good for MMA as a whole and only good for the UFC, MMA as a whole suffers because the monopoly just like in any industry would, competition is always a good thing.

Many talented fighters will never be seen due to this sort of aggressive business.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    The reason why Zuffa are destroying these competitors is simple, by been the only big show on the block they can pay low money to there fighters,by buying these there going to save on money in the long term in wages due to not needing to compete with other organisations, this is not good for MMA as a whole and only good for the UFC, MMA as a whole suffers because the monopoly just like in any industry would, competition is always a good thing.

Many talented fighters will never be seen due to this sort of aggressive business.

That could definitely turn out to be the case but on the other hand, if Zuffa employs the vast majority of the top level MMA fighters in the world then we are going to see the best fighters fight the best fighters all the time whether they like it or not. Give me that rather than the fiascos you see when it comes to match making in boxing any day.

Bad for the fighters when it comes to contracts and freedom definitely but could turn out to be great for the fans.

cowzerp wrote: »
    The reason why Zuffa are destroying these competitors is simple, by been the only big show on the block they can pay low money to there fighters,by buying these there going to save on money in the long term in wages due to not needing to compete with other organisations

I completely disagree with this.

The have done this deal for a few reasons:

Because Strikeforce were gaining momentum (despite losing money)

Because Pro Elite Inc. were about to step in and buy them.

Because Strikeforce have a number of very valuable assets, not least their fighters!

I sincerely doubt they bought SF so they could pay their fighters less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

One thing I hope that happens with this takeover, is that Rogan & Goldie take over commentary for Strikeforce

God No. Rogan and Goldberg are worn out.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I completely disagree with this.

The have done this deal for a few reasons:

Because Strikeforce were gaining momentum (despite losing money)

Because Pro Elite Inc. were about to step in and buy them.

Because Strikeforce have a number of very valuable assets, not least their fighters!

I sincerely doubt they bought SF so they could pay their fighters less!

It will be a nice little conseqeunce though as it will impact the negotiating power that fighters have. Although I agree that to suggest that it is the only reason behind the deal is a bit misguided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Like dana repeatedly says "it's business as usual" and coker and white will be competiting for fighters.

but let's say there is an unsigned high value asset, let's say Gunnar Nelson in a few years. I can't really imagine the negotiations going like this:

UFC offered 20k per fight, strikeforce offered 30k, I want ufc to match that.

Or on a bigger scale with Aoki or someone, White will know exactly how high strikeforce can realistically bid, so he'll have more power to get his best deal.

Ultimately i think ufc have further secured their position as in control of how much money people will be paid at the highest level of this sport.

It will be a nice little conseqeunce though as it will impact the negotiating power that fighters have. Although I agree that to suggest that it is the only reason behind the deal is a bit misguided.

In fairness, there hasn't been a proper rival to UFC since Pride. I'm pretty sure that not many fighters who signed with SF were negotiating with UFC.

If these fighters wanna become the best, UFC is where to be. Like most footballers would take a paycut to play in the Champions League rather than in the Cup-Winners-Europa-Toto League Cup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Not happy with this at all. Like others have said, competition is healthy.

At least previously you could have a fighter who gets on a losing streak, gets released from UFC but ends up rebuilding on Strikeforce and getting some TV time, but now released UFC guys are hardly going to be rehired to Strikeforce, so its going to make the sport a hell of a lot more ruthless and harder for those on losing streaks to recover and get back to the "big time".

The top guys on Strikeforce you assume will end up fighting for UFC belts, so will that not make Strikeforce just comprimised of no hopers or guys worlds away from the titles and effectively make it a B-show?

At least previously you could have a fighter who gets on a losing streak, gets released from UFC but ends up rebuilding on Strikeforce and getting some TV time, but now released UFC guys are hardly going to be rehired to Strikeforce, so its going to make the sport a hell of a lot more ruthless and harder for those on losing streaks to recover and get back to the "big time".

Well Dana has already said that guys who get let go from UFC will possibly end up over on SF
    The top guys on Strikeforce you assume will end up fighting for UFC belts, so will that not make Strikeforce just comprimised of no hopers or guys worlds away from the titles and effectively make it a B-show?

Well in fairness, apart from the odd top guy in each SF division, it's already full of no-hopers and guys worlds away from titles!

Big losers on this will be the fighters. Even if Strikeforce isn't immediately integrated into the UFC, they won't be competing for fighters with the UFC any more. Unlike the NFL or premiership, most fighters don't stick around long enough in the UFC for collective bargaining by fighters to be effective. With the decline of Japanese MMA becoming terminal, fighters will have nowhere else to go. Suspect the guys at the top will be hit particularly hard. GSP is unlikely to go back to working as a bin man. Product quality should improve and I wouldn't expect prices to change too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Fromvert wrote: »

Daley not too happy

He has nobody to blame but himself.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    God No. Rogan and Goldberg are worn out.

Indeed. It would be complete overkill if they were to commentate on Strikeforce too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭mikey1

As said fighters bargaining power has just been removed, I wouldnt be surprised if some sort of a union was set up in the states to help develop more collective bargaining rights. The UFC can now take the accounting view(thats if they had't already) that employees are costly factors of production on the balance sheet that must be reduced so as to maximize profits! My two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Although I agree that to suggest that it is the only reason behind the deal is a bit misguided.

I never said it was the only reason!
    Getting the likes of overeem etc is a bonus as is destroying a rival like they did with pride, but keeping the wage structures low and controlling this will be worth serious money to the ufc in the long run, smart business but not good for the elite fighters or the up and comers who either have no chance or limited chances of going anywhere affecting sponsorship deals etc...

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Like dana repeatedly says "it's business as usual" and coker and white will be competiting for fighters.

Let's be real: it's "business as usual" temporarily. It makes no business sense to run both operations as separate entities.

Over the next few months the redundancies will kick in, and the merge will slowly take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

At least previously you could have a fighter who gets on a losing streak, gets released from UFC but ends up rebuilding on Strikeforce and getting some TV time

Like who? Looking through current Strikeforce fighters, the only ones that fit that description are Arlovski, Scott Smith and Jorge Gurgel. Their records in Strikeforce are 0-3, 3-3 and 2-2 respectively. It's good that they have somewhere to fight but they haven't really rebuilt themselves

The places that all the other former UFC fighters on losing streaks have gone will still be there

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

This news ruined my weekend..

Overeem won't fight under Zuffa if he can't fight in K1..
    Jacare and Roger Gracie won't since they'll want to compete at the Mundials and such..
    Paul Daley will have to fight at some useless show where he's miles better than everyone else..
    Mousasi will want to fight in K1 too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

i think this is great news

we don't want MMA to turn into boxin with 5 world champions in every weight class, and a big rigmarole in organising fights like Haye/Klitscko fiasco.

i think the ufc will keep a lot of fighters on the books as their global expansion continues they needs more cards/fighters.

I dont think they will pay the fighters less, it hasnt been the case in the NBA/NFL where the overall organisation have a lot of power but allow players to bepaid a large amount, or even the IRFU. They can use salaries as a barrier to entry, if the average wage is quite high, it will be impossible to start a new organisation. they dont seem to be stingey on the salaries at the minute

Advertisement