Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zuffa purchases Strikeforce

Options
  • 12-03-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

This is true. Ariel Hewani has just posted it on his twitter. Now Zuffa have serious control on the World Market

Source

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not sure I like this to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

THE REEM IN THE UFC:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Babble wubbly moogy moogy wha? :/

Im not liking this that much at all

Looks like a WEC style thing for the moment so no complaints just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

lol

The "purists" are going to have a meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What's gonna happen with the Strikeforce heavyweight tournament and will I get my money back from Primetime having bought the events? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

That_Guy wrote: »
    Not sure I like this to be honest.

I agree. I don't really like the idea of one company [Zuffa] owning just about every MMA league worth a damn. I like Strikeforce and I'll hate to see Strikeforce disappear [Dana claims SF will be run seperately but he said that about PRIDE and we all know how that turned out]

Nothings gonna happen for a couple years at least.Too many contracts in place with Showtime, M1, Different camps,sponsors, fighters. Just gives Zuffa time to plot

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    he said that about PRIDE and we all know how that turned out]

Pride was very different.Theyd lost their TV deal, were losing money badly and nobody wanted anything to do with them cause of the Yakuza links.

This is more like WWF purchase of WCW than UFC's purchase of PRIDE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

This sucks if true! Monopolies only benefit those in control. Competion in the industry would prove more beneficial for the sport, fighters & fans alike.

• Advertisement

.UFC purchasing Pride was closer to WWF & WCW. WCW were in a horrible position financially, losing tv deals, losing sponsors. Strikeforce is pretty sound when it comes to money and wernt looking to sell.Looks like a pretty aggressive takeover really.

Id say the video library is a big part.Especially since all they have to highlight Shields without it is the Kampmann fight :pac:

.UFC purchasing Pride was closer to WWF & WCW. WCW were in a horrible position financially, losing tv deals, losing sponsors. Strikeforce is pretty sound when it comes to money and wernt looking to sell.Looks like a pretty aggressive takeover really.

Id say the video library is a big part.Especially since all they have to highlight Shields without it is the Kampmann fight :pac:

Doesnt this make Fedor Jeff Jarrett? ;)

Anyway I wonder what Henderson thinks of this leaving Zuffa and being Strikeforce champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Denners

UFC is crushing MMA worldwide. Within 7 months both WEC and Strikeforce have seized existing as organisations, not good for breakthrough fighters or the worldwide audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Every org the UFC bought is shut down.Strike force will be no different in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Looks like a pretty aggressive takeover really.

Very much so!
    Zuffa are probably worried that a company/individual with alot of cash may invest in Strikeforce & create a genuine rival to the UFC.
    This is just a case of wiping out the competion rather than investing in something that adds to their product!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I like this! To be honest, the Strikeforce events were a lot of spectacle, a couple of meaningful fights here and there and some dreadful commentary!

Both organizations are going to run seperately, but no doubt now we will see just how good the SF guys are. We'll see UFC returns for Diaz and Werdum and rest of the top guys in my opinion.

Also, since SF have a deal with DREAM, we will see a lot of the Japanese fighters some across too.

I think this is really good! Anyone who thinks seeing all of the best fighters in the world fight each other is a bad thing needs their head tested!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think this is really good! Anyone who thinks seeing all of the best fighters in the world fight each other is a bad thing needs their head tested!

Not sure that Fedor and Barnett will be doing that with Zuffa

drayme wrote: »
    Not sure that Fedor and Barnett will be doing that with Zuffa

Barnett, no. But perhaps Fedor! Because in fairness, there's nowhere else for him to go! He might just fight on M1 cards or some sh*t, but if we wants to be earning money, UFC is the only place left to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

It would be awesome if once a year or once every two years you had all the UFC champs face off against the Strikeforce champs with winners being declared Undisputed world champs or something. That would be a real spectacle.

i reckon Paul Daley just soiled himself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Not liking this so far more questions than answers at the moment.Just thought there goes the next EA MMA game unless they ask everyone who bought it to appear in the next game with Randy Couture & a out in the cold Paul Daley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

"I've never had a bad thing to say about Scott Coker".

Ehh... that's not my recollection of your interviews Dana.

i reckon Paul Daley just soiled himself!

He was on the UG and BAMMA Facebook page wondering how this will effect him since Dana said he will never fight in the UFC again. Plus Daley was also saying he didn't want to make Zuffa any money with the anticipated match with Nick Diaz.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    He was on the UG and BAMMA Facebook page wondering how this will effect him since Dana said he will never fight in the UFC again. Plus Daley was also saying he didn't want to make Zuffa any money with the anticipated match with Nick Diaz.

No skin of Diaz's nose, he can go fight the winner of Fitch v Penn for the UFC belt while Daley goes and fights for BAMMA or some sh*t!

No skin of Diaz's nose, he can go fight the winner of Fitch v Penn for the UFC belt while Daley goes and fights for BAMMA or some sh*t!

Agreed. Daley has alot more to lose if the fight doesn't happen than Nick. Even though Dana said they would be keeping the brands seperate I wouldn't be surprised if we see SF champs vs UFC champs before the year is over.

Yeah Daley better get comfortable fighting outside America. He'll probably join Bellator or something. This is great for the Strikeforce champs, they have a great case for no.1 contendership. Imagine Melendez V Edgar/Maynard and Diaz V Penn/Fitch, Jacare V A.Silva, Hendo V Shogun/Bones, The Reem V Velasquez/Lesnar/Dos Santos. Some awesome fights in this. The best fighters in the world fighting each other, nobody loses......*

*except showtime

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This could really make the UFC quite competitive in all their divisions, assuming they move the top SF talent to the UFC and then use SF as a feeder promotion for the UFC.

Wonder will they keep the womens division, given their previous stance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Can't really say if it's good or bad yet. They say that Strikeforce will be run as a separate company and I'm sure Zuffa can improve the business end of Strikeforce a bit. I heard something recently about them only having a few office staff and none were experienced in business, basically just MMA fans out of college

UFC will be promoting Strikeforce events on their shows, which could cause some confusion to fans and water-down the titles. "The other middleweight champion will be fighting next month"

They'll be keeping the women's division for now since there are women under contract, they might decide to get rid of them once their contracts are expired
    "I've never had a bad thing to say about Scott Coker".

Ehh... that's not my recollection of your interviews Dana.

What has he ever said about Scott Coker? I remember him laughing at Coker comparing himself to Bob Arum but he usually says that he's got no problem with Coker, just with Showtime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

If they improve SF's truly ****ty production values and actually make it enjoyable to watch again then I'm all for it. Who the hell are the people who over rate everyone not in the UFC going to over rate now??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

seadnamac wrote: »
    If they improve SF's truly ****ty production values and actually make it enjoyable to watch again then I'm all for it. Who the hell are the people who over rate everyone not in the UFC going to over rate now??

I would think that Showtime will still be handling the production end. It sounds like the only differences right now will be more finances, a better office situation and more advertising opportunities

Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio said that he was thinking that Fedor's contract might have played a big part in this because they were spending a lot of money on him that they didn't have

Advertisement