Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigrant parents claiming citizenship.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It is a stupid system. You have kids who are citizens of nowhere because they were born in Ireland to parents who werent residents for three years before had. Its lunacy.

BTW, do they need both parents or just one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

It is a stupid system. You have kids who are citizens of nowhere because they were born in Ireland to parents who werent residents for three years before had. Its lunacy.

BTW, do they need both parents or just one?

1 parent can be legal and as long as they are an active parent then they could get residency based on the child. Following the Zambrano judgement, then the illegal parent could also get residency. If one parent is Irish/British, then the child is also entitled to Irish citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ngonda

Our laws on who gets citizenship will not be affected. I predict that non eu citizens will find it harder to naturalise now because of this. Why? Well first they look for then they will look for rights to have non eu grandparents to come over and god knows what.

The citizenship act does not make one reference to residency. At this time there is no legislation on residency rights and its completely at the discretion of the minister , so long as EU law is not applicable. Ie when it affects an Irish person and an adult non eu person living in Ireland (this may change , Zambrano deals with the child only, but who knows what the ecj will do next)

what about a no e.u citizen who's got a child with a e.u citzen,the child was born in ireland,does the no e.u citizen got residence in ireland because of the child?confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Our laws on who gets citizenship will not be affected. I predict that non eu citizens will find it harder to naturalise now because of this. Why? Well first they look for then they will look for rights to have non eu grandparents to come over and god knows what.
    Entire planeloads of Guatamalan villages, no doubt!

This thread is one of the best laughs I've had in ages. Seriously funny stuff guys.

I am CP'd to a South African. In reality, it is exceptionally easy to register to marry, to marry, and to be given a Stamp 4 Visa to remain in Ireland and claim citizenship after a few years.

We spent about 10 minutes in front one state official before our civil partnership itself, and simply handed over our passports and birth certificates (my partners, didn't even have to be stamped by his embassy). You don't have to prove your relationship, you don't have to prove your means, you don't have to show anything to do with employment, criminal records, ability to speak English or anything more than a passing interest in one another. Our relationship is obviously genuine, but it struck me that it's such an easy process that I would be flabbergasted if people were not defrauding the process for the purposes of immigration. Genuinely flabbergasted.

Am I anti immigration? Not in the least.

I am only saying this because the idea that people would jump through all sorts of complex hoops involving childbirth and hanging around legally for 3 years before a child is born etc etc is such a load of waffle. In reality, if a very shady character wanted to get residence and citizenship in Ireland, they simply have to spend about €200 and ten minutes getting a marriage registration form and just get married and be done with it.

Why anybody with ulterior motives would go to all of these other complex lengths is genuinely beyond me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Entire planeloads of Guatamalan villages, no doubt!

This thread is one of the best laughs I've had in ages. Seriously funny stuff guys.

I am CP'd to a South African. In reality, it is exceptionally easy to register to marry, to marry, and to be given a Stamp 4 Visa to remain in Ireland and claim citizenship after a few years.

We spent about 10 minutes in front one state official before our civil partnership itself, and simply handed over our passports and birth certificates (my partners, didn't even have to be stamped by his embassy). You don't have to prove your relationship, you don't have to prove your means, you don't have to show anything to do with employment, criminal records, ability to speak English or anything more than a passing interest in one another. Our relationship is obviously genuine, but it struck me that it's such an easy process that I would be flabbergasted if people were not defrauding the process for the purposes of immigration. Genuinely flabbergasted.

Am I anti immigration? Not in the least.

I am only saying this because the idea that people would jump through all sorts of complex hoops involving childbirth and hanging around legally for 3 years before a child is born etc etc is such a load of waffle. In reality, if a very shady character wanted to get residence and citizenship in Ireland, they simply have to spend about €200 and ten minutes getting a marriage registration form and just get married and be done with it.

Why anybody with ulterior motives would go to all of these other complex lengths is genuinely beyond me.

Cant get a marriage cert if you are illegally in the state.

You can get leave to remain as soon as the EU citizen child is born, though.

• Advertisement

79 percent of the electorate voted for such laws. McDowell proposed the referendum at the behest of those overseeing our maternity wards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

79 percent of the electorate voted for such laws. McDowell proposed the referendum at the behest of those overseeing our maternity wards.

At no stage did those overseeing the maternity services ask or demand that any referendum be held. To say they did is a gross misrepresentation of the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Cant get a marriage cert if you are illegally in the state.
    The registrar doesn't ask for the intended spouse's immigration details as far as I can remember.

Even if that policy has changed, if you're a non Irish national, your exit from the state, where you may have been residing without a valid permit, is never recorded.
    Therefore there is no record of an overstay following on from a previous visa on the non EEA spouse's passport or GNIB card, the non EEA partner could just do an airport turnaround and re-enter the country on a C Visa - but like I said, my memory is that a GNIB card is not required by the Registrar. That isn't their line of work.

Very simple.

No requirement of an 18 year long ball and chain. Doesn't make sense why someone would resort to creating a child instead of this simple process, for the purposes of receiving residence and citizenship.

At no stage did those overseeing the maternity services ask or demand that any referendum be held. To say they did is a gross misrepresentation of the facts.

No its not. The year prior to the referendum, 58% of asylum seeking adult women were pregnant upon making their application for asylum.

The maternity wards were swamped as asylum seekers were using a loophole that the gfa agreement opened up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

No its not. The year prior to the referendum, 58% of asylum seeking adult women were pregnant upon making their application for asylum.

The maternity wards were swamped as asylum seekers were using a loophole that the gfa agreement opened up.

Nobody is disputing that high numbers of pregnant women sought to avail of the legal loophole, but you cannot substansiate your claim that the referendum was held because those in charge of maternity service called for it, they didn't,ever. Your claim is a fabrication.

• Advertisement
Advertisement