Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Snow - Ulster, Connaught, Munster, North Leinster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This precip band looks like petering out just as the colder air establishes itself in the East... damn!

It's cold air but theres too much and more mild air that it has to fight against and that mixing will win.
    raining now even at cork airport on high ground and the temp there has risen by 3c.
    Snow further north will be washed away quickly as it turns to rain eventually there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Rain has stopped now and last of the snow melted, sun even tried to make an appearance.
    Still plenty of snow back towards Ballinasloe and Athlone I'm told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Getting colder down here overcast skies....could it, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    I think that's the final straw, yep, gonna have to go buy some kinda cheap weather station today, can't be getting caught unawares like this:D
    Pangea wrote: »
    The bbc weather forecast was promising for southeners, it showed a thin snow line going through central Ireland ,and again showed a big patch of white for Cork and Kerry, so dont be suprised if you see a few flakes down there tonight.

Cant say I didnt warn yas :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Happy days...snow is falling all around us.... :)

Sadly though its not falling here ..yet (ever the optimistic)... have creak in my neck from cloud watching to see if anything is developing..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The snow thankfully didn't turn to rain, it just petered out about two hours ago.

Onwards to the next snow event!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Light snow all night here, turned to proper stuff as I was going to bed around 2. A bit of a covering this morning but nothing like some other places around the county, 4 inches reported just 10 miles away in Ballybofey, seems like we just caught the edge of it here. Still, 5 consecutive months we've had lying snow now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Temp dropped from 10.6c at 12.10 to 4.2c at 13.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

too mild here for snow 3.7C. Maybe tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Sun's out in Galway city and temp has risen to 7C.

No trace of last night's snow but as always, 'twas wonderous watching it fall :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Bit of snow on the way for Wicklow hills?? Would seem so, temps dropping and a small band of precipitation on the way...wouldn't rule out sleet for Dublin either. Temp is 4.5 here on the south-east dublin coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The official snow depth at Knock Airport peaked at 5cms at 7am, reducing steadily thereafter until it was all gone by 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

nothing here on the NW coast of Donegal.. misty rain at times but that was the height of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Any word on tomorrow both in Donegal and Dublin airport?

Flying to the states tomorrow,fecking snow better not ruin it for me! :mad:

Well MT says theres potential for very heavy snow tonight in Donegal, even if there is I cant imagine roads being too bad, Meenaroy and Barnesmore were both open this morning despite having heavy snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Specks of snow around county sligo on road between Sooey and Ballyfarnon and quite a bit on mountains from layer of strata up. First I thought it was strata but then the strata disappeared and the white was still there. Doh!:confused:

As for tonight I dont think therell be anything here but in the morning a 20percent risk in Sligo as rain showers move in on cold land. Dawn would be the best time for this as it will be 0c by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Also just looking at sat 24 and if you placed ireland 500 miles out in the Atlanitc wed be having blizzards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

pauldry wrote: »
    Also just looking at sat 24 and if you placed ireland 500 miles out in the Atlanitc wed be having blizzards!!

Looks like we'll all have to get some oars so, and start rowing!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

pauldry wrote: »
    Specks of snow around county sligo on road between Sooey and Ballyfarnon and quite a bit on mountains from layer of strata up. First I thought it was strata but then the strata disappeared and the white was still there. Doh!:confused:

As for tonight I dont think therell be anything here but in the morning a 20percent risk in Sligo as rain showers move in on cold land. Dawn would be the best time for this as it will be 0c by then.

Could you explain what you mean by strata please , do you mean low cloud?
    I ask as I live up Carran hill near the windturbines as you describe above and have this mist/low cloud quite often being fairly high up , thanks

• Advertisement

Nothing but slightly sleety rain in Letterkenny tonight, temperature hovering around 3C all night and doesnt look like dropping any lower. Probably a lot of snow in the hills again though

And strata means rock surely? Assume he means that he thought the snow was just exposed rock on the mountain

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

He means stratus cloud, that low level, featureless,blanket-like cloud that is all too common here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratus_cloud

Only a brief mixture of rain and sleet here, didn't last very long before it went back to rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Another heavy snow prediction thread with err, no snow?

Lots of heavy rain showers in N Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Another heavy snow prediction thread with err, no snow?

Lots of heavy rain showers in N Mayo

Recent snow shower reported in knock.

Recent snow shower reported in knock.
    Not quite.
    Even though knock is up at 700ft asl,it reported rain and snow at 930am which is sleet.
    Prior to that rain showers and the temp and dewpoint are rising there 3c/1c

Theres another big shower heading in there now so that may contain some evap cooling wet snow but nothing too exciting I'd imagine.
    Less exciting still on the low ground!
    This link below is updated on the half hour and is based on the raw metar.
    Met.ie appears to be wrong.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EIKN/2011/3/13/DailyHistory.html

Snowing here, first proper flakes I have seen all weekend. Temp 2c Dewpoint 1

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Harps wrote: »
    Nothing but slightly sleety rain in Letterkenny tonight, temperature hovering around 3C all night and doesnt look like dropping any lower. Probably a lot of snow in the hills again though

And strata means rock surely? Assume he means that he thought the snow was just exposed rock on the mountain

Heading out to the hills tomorrow. Will report back on snow conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

good news..joe bastardis back ...nd even better look what he posted

"I darn well know to look for a trough over the east 6-10 days later ( day 9 and beyond. And the idea that the trough in Europe will retrograde
    so that arctic air may be able to get back into central and western Europe
    is in the cards ( more on that later)"

Joe bastardi is usually pesimistic of severe cold in europe- he didnt even forecast the cold of december until it was 100 percent certain to arrivend was confident of no cold returning this winter after december ended,so this has got to be good- oh i hope we get some good cold and snow sooon !!:D:D

Met Eireann mentioning snow showers over high ground for the end of the week, maybe Gallagher will be right again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dry as a bone in town.

As came home torrential rain which is turning to sleet as i speak.

Check your windscreens!

Advertisement