Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

ECC would be wasted on these boxes.

I buy all my memory from Crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

That's what I figured.

I finally got my unraid test rig setup. 1tb parity, 2x250gb data and a 250gb cache. With Plex Media Server installed I had it streaming 1080p to 3 devices simultaneously, 2 of which were transcoded. No bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Got my micro server delivered today,thanks Parcel Motel!
    Can the cash back form by submitted by email or is it snail mail only?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sir_love

did you order from ebuyer. I tried it tonight using paypal and parcel motel. I got an email saying order processed. Then i got an email requesting ID. Then i got an email saying order cancelled. They then refunded my paypal. Anyone lese have this issue? I might try again tomorrow or am i doing something wrong. it says its in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

stimpson wrote: »
    Looks like they have updated it now. Says €120 on it now.

Euro form is here: www.hp.com/ie/essnpromotions

Hi all!
    important bit of info states that
    "Terms apply. Offer limited to five units per customer. Sellers must
    source qualifying product from authorised Republic of Ireland
    distributors. HP will not be responsible for claims rejected if partner
    stock is not sourced from the Republic of Ireland."

I was looking at getting it in UK too!!!

is it just a matter of buying it in say uk (Ebuyer) and claiming with the UK form or has anyone bought UK and used the IRE form?
    thanks
    john

• Advertisement

I bought from the ebuyer in the UK and sent that claim form. I got a confirmation mail yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/asp/basket.asp?V=Refresh

83£ after cashback.
    what you think this or ebuyer?

You linked to your basket. :) You mean this?

http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_Micro_G7_N54L_NHP_250GB_EU_Svr_704941-421/version.asp?PID=1953

Is this the same as the one on eBuyer? Mine is an N40L, which I think is only 1.5GHz. I'd be tempted to add one of these to the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

sir_love wrote: »
    did you order from ebuyer. I tried it tonight using paypal and parcel motel. I got an email saying order processed. Then i got an email requesting ID. Then i got an email saying order cancelled. They then refunded my paypal. Anyone lese have this issue? I might try again tomorrow or am i doing something wrong. it says its in stock

Had the same issue, and haven't tried again. Caused by paypal addrress different that order address.

rovoagho wrote: »
    You linked to your basket. :) You mean this?

http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_Micro_G7_N54L_NHP_250GB_EU_Svr_704941-421/version.asp?PID=1953

Is this the same as the one on eBuyer? Mine is an N40L, which I think is only 1.5GHz. I'd be tempted to add one of these to the farm.

It looks the same to me.

This compares your NL40L to the N54L
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/TYPE-Turion%20II%20Neo.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Mine arrived in parcel motel today, so I'm a happy camper.
    Filling out the cashback offer though, and just noticed there is no paper invoice with mine :(.
    A mistake, or can I just print out the confirmation email from ebuyer/google wallet?

tagoona wrote: »
    Mine arrived in parcel motel today, so I'm a happy camper.
    Filling out the cashback offer though, and just noticed there is no paper invoice with mine :(.
    A mistake, or can I just print out the confirmation email from ebuyer/google wallet?

You can print out your invoice from the "My Ledger" link on the ebuyer account page.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Mine arrived today via Parcel motel. No problem in the end. Ebuyers courier stuck my PMID on the box after it left the Ebuyer warehouse. Parcel motel customer service were excelent as well. Just have to set the thing up now. Where to start? Where to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

I like the look of the new one, anyone hear if there is cash back going to happen on that.

micko45 wrote: »
    I like the look of the new one, anyone hear if there is cash back going to happen on that.

You gain an Ethernet port but lose a PCI slot and pay twice the price. A curler on might be marginally faster, but I doubt by much. And you can run 16gb ram in the n54l with the custom firmware.

In summary: meh.

If anyone is interested, my RAM arrived today so my 2GB HP stick is now on adverts.

http://touch.adverts.ie/memory/hp-proliant-ram-2gb-ecc-ddr3-1333/3250870

Hi Stimpson, did this card work for you? audio and sound ok?

I've ordered this card - cheap, low profile, HDMI out and fanless: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0036DD4CO/ref=pe_217191_31005151_M3T1_dp_1

I've seen other people say it fits so fingers crossed.

Worked fine for video. UnRAID has no Plex client, but I'm sure audio is fine.

I'm still deciding what to do with it, so it may end up in a wardrobe with my Raspberry pi taking over video duties and the card may end up on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

There is no sound card in the Server.
    I'm using a small USB Soundcard that can with my Plantronics headset.
    MAJJ wrote: »
    Hi Stimpson, did this card work for you? audio and sound ok?

There is no sound card in the Server.
    I'm using a small USB Soundcard that can with my Plantronics headset.

The video card I got has HDMI out, so should work as a soundcard if you're using it as a HTPC.

• Advertisement

The video card I got has HDMI out, so should work as a soundcard if you're using it as a HTPC.

That's my intended use.

Has anyone installed a video, audio and dual tuner TV card in one of these? Are there any dual-channel cards that'll fit, and work with Linux?

I'd like to move my files and daemons from my current N40L to an N54L set up as a HTPC, and I'd like to use the Sky dish still hanging off the side of my house while I'm at it. Ideally I'd like everything in the box, but I think only 2 of the PCI slots are exposed at the back so I'm guessing something would have to be USB.

Any and all advice welcome.

I have one on the way. With use it for movies/music/photos/backups for data/photos.. May set up remote access for family via web.

Have 4gb ram and will get a hdmi card.

Decided on MS Windows and may use XBMC.

Which variant of MS Windows would folks recommend?

Take a gander at windows home server 2011. You can pick up a copy on amazon or eBay. Gets great reviews from the HTPC crowd. Only problem I'd that its discontinued. Windows server 2012 essentials is stupidly expensive.

An alternative is win7/8 professional. For all the pissing and moaning about win8, I'm using it in work and I love it. The start menu was a pain in the arse anyway.

Cheers. WHS11 only thing putting me off is that its end of line and yeah WHS12 is daft money. Will do some checking on windows 7/8.
    Take a gander at windows home server 2011. You can pick up a copy on amazon or eBay. Gets great reviews from the HTPC crowd. Only problem I'd that its discontinued. Windows server 2012 essentials is stupidly expensive.

An alternative is win7/8 professional. For all the pissing and moaning about win8, I'm using it in work and I love it. The start menu was a pain in the arse anyway.

Wouldn't really bother me - apparently it's supported until 2025 or something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Anyone know or care to hazard a guess as to whether this offer will be extended?

There's no way of knowing, it depends on how many are in the channel, and how many sell. The new microserver is out though, so I'd guess this will be the last offer on these.

• Advertisement

I'd say it will be extended. They seem to always have some offer on these. It was only €60 earlier this year though, so you never know.

Advertisement