Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Tunnel cash only....wtf!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »
    Do what other asshats are doing.

Drive into the express lane at 1km/h and stare confused why the barrier is not lifting(not having a tag usually). Wait for the other muppet( aka Berty ) to arrive behind you with his tag. Barrier magically opens.............asshat drives through and the barrier closes in front of me. I then have to exit the express lane and go through the regular lane.

Happened soooo many times that if I see people going through in front of me slowly I just avoid the express lane.

Brilliant better than tailgateing :D Thanks for the heads up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I'm pretty sure they have credit card facilities at other toll plazas in the country, pretty sure I remember seeing one on the M4.

No sir, got caught lovely on it last April. Went from Limerick to a meeting in Carton house where everything was paid for so didn't need to have cash on me. Used the last of my ashtray change in Portlaoise going up and never gave it a second thought til I was on my way back to Sligoland that night and only realised when I got to the toll that I had no change. Was absolutely mortified, they practically walked me through the gate for fear I'd escape and then had to give me a receipt with a code that I had to quote when ringing in to the toll operators hq to pay by laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Who in their right mind would want to pay less than €2 by a card?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

People These Days (: Whatever Happened To Keeping Cash In The Little Money Box In The Car (:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

finbarrk wrote: »
    Who in their right mind would want to pay less than €2 by a card?
    STADEdeLUC wrote: »
    People These Days (: Whatever Happened To Keeping Cash In The Little Money Box In The Car (:
    No sir, got caught lovely on it last April. Went from Limerick to a meeting in Carton house where everything was paid for so didn't need to have cash on me. Used the last of my ashtray change in Portlaoise going up and never gave it a second thought til I was on my way back to Sligoland that night and only realised when I got to the toll that I had no change. Was absolutely mortified, they practically walked me through the gate for fear I'd escape and then had to give me a receipt with a code that I had to quote when ringing in to the toll operators hq to pay by laser.

I ran out of ashtray change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

STADEdeLUC wrote: »

only problem is the kids know where theres a steady cash stash - they regularly clean it out :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd often pay for a car park with my laser card. €2.40/€2.50. I don't want to be getting €47.50 change in €2 coins...no thank you!

Stupid not being able to pay by card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I regularly use my card for small amounts- e.g 99 cent in tesco 10 minutes ago.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'd often pay for a car park with my laser card. €2.40/€2.50. I don't want to be getting €47.50 change in €2 coins...no thank you!

Stupid not being able to pay by card.

I was paying for car parking in Shannon a few years back, put in a €20 or €50 and got my change back in coins, never again. I always use my cc now unless I have close to or the exact amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Paul101

Why not get a Tolltag. There are tolls all over the country. makes sense to me anyway.
    (Sorry I realise this thread is from a week ago but I don't get on the computer much :) )

• Advertisement

Do what other asshats are doing.

Drive into the express lane at 1km/h and stare confused why the barrier is not lifting(not having a tag usually). Wait for the other muppet( aka Berty ) to arrive behind you with his tag. Barrier magically opens.............asshat drives through and the barrier closes in front of me. I then have to exit the express lane and go through the regular lane.

Happened soooo many times that if I see people going through in front of me slowly I just avoid the express lane.

haha Berty. that has happened to me too. Still years back we had problems with people on roundabouts too. they will learn, I fly through express lane but agree with you. Slow car in front caused a mess so have to swing left

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

was in dublin yesterday and went through m50 toll and tolltag worked fine. Back through Limerick Tunnell and the same problems. As far as I am concerned the Limerick one is just not working properly plus you are paying 19c extra on top of 1.80 for what to queue with everyone else because the fast lane works when it feels like it ahhhhhhhhhhhhh it drives me mad. when you ask the girls taking the money about the tolltag they even admit it doesnt work.

I will pay from now on its a bloody rip off. I rang up the other day to make an enquiry and when I complained the girl just hung up on me talk about bad customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

BESman wrote: »
    It would be ridiculous if everyone paid with credit card, nonetheless, it should be an emergency option for people who forget to carry cash or don't have enough on them.

I also had a bad experience with them. Counted out my change before the journey, put it in a change bag, emptied it into the bucket and it came up as being €1.70. I am 100% sure that it was €1.80. I counted it a few times as I had no other change on me and didn't wanna fall short. I reckon the electronic counter is faulty if you throw too much change in at the same time. I didn't have anything smaller than 10c so thats not a reason either. Frustrating as f*ck, had to go to the manned booth and explain and she let me off. How long will it be tolled I wonder? Forever? I'll probably avoid using it again in a hurry.

This has happened to me a few times at the Portlaois toll. I've noticed now that if you put in 1c,2c or 5c coins it won't count them properly. I've often had to throw in up to a euro more despite knowing that I had the correct change. They shouldn't say you can pay with the small coins if you can't. From what I can see it will only count it properly if it isn't any of the smaller coins. Rip off. I thought it'd be a great way to get rid of all the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Daisy! wrote: »
    This has happened to me a few times at the Portlaois toll. I've noticed now that if you put in 1c,2c or 5c coins it won't count them properly. I've often had to throw in up to a euro more despite knowing that I had the correct change. They shouldn't say you can pay with the small coins if you can't. From what I can see it will only count it properly if it isn't any of the smaller coins. Rip off. I thought it'd be a great way to get rid of all the change.
    Just to make sure you know, the machines in limerick toll do not accept 1c 2c or 5cs. Doesn't say till you are at the toll though, which is nice of them, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

People. If you arrive up to an unmaned booth and know you put in the correct change. Do not put in anymore. Press the help button and tell them you put in the correct amount and would like the barrier lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Just get a toll tag or eflow! You never have to worry about paying a toll again! Plus then you can use the express lanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Im from Waterford, the N25 Waterford City Bypass definitely has a credit card option, that's madness there no CC option on the Limerick Tunnel!!
    I used it 2 weeks ago to go to Bunratty it really takes some time off the journey.

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Just get a toll tag or eflow! You never have to worry about paying a toll again! Plus then you can use the express lanes!

If they gave a few percent off for toll tag users then I might especially whe they have your money in their account.

maryk123 wrote: »
    was in dublin yesterday and went through m50 toll and tolltag worked fine. Back through Limerick Tunnell and the same problems. As far as I am concerned the Limerick one is just not working properly plus you are paying 19c extra on top of 1.80 for what to queue with everyone else because the fast lane works when it feels like it ahhhhhhhhhhhhh it drives me mad. when you ask the girls taking the money about the tolltag they even admit it doesnt work.

I will pay from now on its a bloody rip off. I rang up the other day to make an enquiry and when I complained the girl just hung up on me talk about bad customer service.

Hi Maryk. There are problems on the Limerick tunnel for sure.. I use it daily and I feel I have it figured out. Enter at 50km (30mph) and keep steady and it works. There is a concerning delay between entering the express land and getting the final green arrow but it works for me every day. You should try it and see how you get on.
    The M7 plaza is much better and not so fussy about the speed
    The problem is with the plaza though and not your tolltag.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

thanks paul.

I did the 50km a couple of times but it doesnt work always and if you continue to the barrier in fast lane the barrier doesnt always lift so you have to veer off and join the queue.

There was a queue the other day of about 8 cars so the problem then is my tag has beeped and then when I go to pay and the barrier is still up because of the car ahead I dont know if I have to pay or not - its all too confusing.

I agree with another comment there is no incentive to continue using the tolltag, I didnt realise I was being charged for my continuing frustration so I will use it this time and not top up and just pay at the barrier save myself a fee for using the tag and stay in queue because thats where I always end up anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

People. If you arrive up to an unmaned booth and know you put in the correct change. Do not put in anymore. Press the help button and tell them you put in the correct amount and would like the barrier lifted.

+1

I threw in €1.80 this morning and the display said "Collect Reject Coin" - except there was no coin in the reject tray....it had accepted all the coins.

There was also no way of knowing which coin it "thought" it had rejected.

I pushed help and explained and to be fair they reset it and let me through, but it's a bit annoying when the thing doesn't work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

phog wrote: »
    If they gave a few percent off for toll tag users then I might especially whe they have your money in their account.

With the eflow tag is costs €1 a months and all costs come off your credit card at the end of the month. Worth it alone to use the express lanes. You do get €1 off everytime you use the m50 toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Another thing to note is if you're on a motorbike you have to go to a manned booth as it doesnt acknowledge your presence in the unmanned aisles. pretty annoying to find that out with a queue of cars behind you at 7.55 am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    +1

I threw in €1.80 this morning and the display said "Collect Reject Coin" - except there was no coin in the reject tray....it had accepted all the coins.

There was also no way of knowing which coin it "thought" it had rejected.

I pushed help and explained and to be fair they reset it and let me through, but it's a bit annoying when the thing doesn't work properly.
    It's annoying though, I go through that lane so I don't have to talk to anyone! :pac: Is there anyone I could complain to about it? Have heard a few other people complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A numpty in front of me in his D reg mondeo this evening ploughs through the express lane at WAY over 50km/h and I arrive slowly behind him shouting "GET THE FVCK OUT OF THE LANE YOU W*NKER" as he is basically stopped dumbfounded at the closed barrier.

I KNEW that as soon as I hit the second metal sensor the barrier would open and he would sail through with me paying for his journey. He just moves out of the lane in time for me to nearly hit the barrier, make an emergency manouver and whilst leaving the lane the barrier lifts. Too late to turn back into the lane.(arrow was green but he must have been obstructing the process)

Entered the regular lanes and sailed through and looked back in the rear view mirror. He was stopped in the middle of the Plaza(not even in a lane) pulling at the tag on his window with traffic having to avoid him.

ARRRGGGHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i hit the sensor at 75 kph today just to see what would happen, worked perfectly. lowered speed again before getting level with plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jimbo007

Daisy! wrote: »
    It's annoying though, I go through that lane so I don't have to talk to anyone! :pac: Is there anyone I could complain to about it? Have heard a few other people complaining about it.

I ended up spending an extra euro on it because it didn't count properly... there was someone behind me so just threw in the extra money, never thought of pushing a help button.. pretty p*ssed off about it at the time... i wonder how much money they're making out of the machine not working properly??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

why do we have such a crap system here ? I use the Clonmacken plaza mainly and its a real hit and miss affair. Whats the other one like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The M7 plaza is 100 times better! How can they run the Limerick ones so shabbily

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    If anybody in front of me attempted to pay a €1.80 toll with a credit card I would crush them with my Monster Truck.

exactly what a load of rubbish.get some change ffs.but will someone tell me why they wont accept copper money?ie 1, 2 and 5 cent

Advertisement