Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You already know your Perfect Partner

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Craig david or buckingham palace, who will it be :pac:

You have my number in your phone.....

I have your number in my phone.....

My GOD!! :eek:

What flowers do you want for the wedding luv? :pac:

I'd say it is very possible to fall in love with someone you have known all your life but....no idea how on earth it would get started. Guess yous would need to have been in contact alot more than usual or something for the spark to appear!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Once you match on attractiveness and educational (or intellectual) level, I don't believe social class is that important, not in Ireland at least.
    I would somewhat agree, in Ireland it's less so. Ireland went more like the US where wealth was more the deciding factor than "class". Though the latter is just wealth over more than one generation. I'm not sure Plath and Hughes are that good an example. For one arty types can get away with bending social mores much more. I've observed that even in Ireland people tend towards "their own" much more than they don't. People from I dunno Dalkey are much more likely to end up with others from Dalkey or similar(and it's a little more than who they meet). Women are more socially mobile of course.
    ToniTuddle wrote:
    I'd say it is very possible to fall in love with someone you have known all your life but....no idea how on earth it would get started. Guess yous would need to have been in contact alot more than usual or something for the spark to appear!
    I've seen it happen alright and usually IME when the two involved hadn't seen each other for a while, even though they knew each other for a long time previously.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Wibbs wrote: »
    I would somewhat agree, in Ireland it's less so. Ireland went more like the US where wealth was more the deciding factor than "class". Though the latter is just wealth over more than one generation. I'm not sure Plath and Hughes are that good an example. For one arty types can get away with bending social mores much more. I've observed that even in Ireland people tend towards "their own" much more than they don't. People from I dunno Dalkey are much more likely to end up with others from Dalkey or similar(and it's a little more than who they meet). Women are more socially mobile of course.

Dalkey's an extreme example though. I find South Dublin more rigidly class-conscious than the country on a whole. It was quite new to me when I first moved to Dublin. I didn't even know fee-paying day schools existed before then, and I'm actually being serious here. My school, as many down the country are, was a very mixed socio-economic bag.

Yes, women are more socially mobile, definitely. Women are more likely to want to marry up, men don't seem as fussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sobertales

I came from a country convent and there were still social classes formed - townies, country girls (though looking back we were all country girls lol!), shy girls, sporty girls etc...

Back on topic - I think life is such a leveller, time and experience changes you so much that it would make sense that you could already know your soul mate and have discounted them for any number of reasons based on your own situation at that time... You don't really even know yourself when you are younger, as you get older your perceptions of everything change including of the people you knew at another time of your life!

I gotta keep my eyes open the next time I'm back home in Kerry... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Dalkey's an extreme example though. I find South Dublin more rigidly class-conscious than the country on a whole. It was quite new to me when I first moved to Dublin. I didn't even know fee-paying day schools existed before then, and I'm actually being serious here. My school, as many down the country are, was a very mixed socio-economic bag.

Yes, women are more socially mobile, definitely. Women are more likely to want to marry up, men don't seem as fussed.

I read somewhere that women are more likely to marry down than men.

Thought it was interesting as you would think it were the other way around, but it seems to apply to lots of women I know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

WindSock wrote: »
    I read somewhere that women are more likely to marry down than men.

Thought it was interesting as you would think it were the other way around, but it seems to apply to lots of women I know.

Well, historically women would marry up, but some sociologists reckon many wives in the future will earn more than their husbands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Well, historically women would marry up, but some sociologists reckon many wives in the future will earn more than their husbands.

Many women in the present earn more than their husbands/partners. With most couples I know the woman earns more.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I can see how a future partners could be someone you've known for a time. I thinks it's obvious when groups of your friends from different areas in you're life meet up. In my case anyway they all seem to get on.
    I already have been to one wedding that the couple met through me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I laughed when I saw this, because I think it's true... I do know him, but (unfortunately) so does his girlfriend. :D

Maybe one of my other hundreds and thousands of perfect partners will turn up some day. (Don't all rush at once though! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm originally from tyrone and the missus is from laois.
    We met in australia
    We had never met before this
    Neither of us had mobile phones at the time

This theory you read about....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Just had a quick scan of the aul address book there.. . shudder

Wonder if i tracked down Tommy Bowe's number and shoved it in there would it increase my chances ?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Don't know if they have to be in your phone particularly, but I think there's definitely a few people you have met in your life that are suited to you in a romantic sense. If you think about it, if you take the usual school-uni-working a few different jobs-travelling arc that most people take nowadays (and add to that friend of family, sports & social groups etc), you end up having met a hell of a lot of people, not all of whom you connect with straight away.

There's definitely someone from my recent past that I have a big crush on, but I don't think it's going to happen at this stage.:( A few years ago I almost got together with a guy I'd been to school with but we'd never really spoken much or been friends - it's funny how you meet people later and it's very different! Kinda wish I'd called him! So I don't think it's 'settling' if you go for someone you've previously overlooked, most people change over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭s3129

Yep mine is in my phone book. He doesn't know this yet, nor does he know his number is in my phone book. But we will be married...

Hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Where is he????????????? I'm still single :(

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

What about people who communicate mainly through facebook/twitter et al? With the advent of the iphone and smartphone, people can now communicate with someone without exchanging phone numbers.

I know I chat a bit with boardsies on facebook but I think I might only 1 or 2 of their numbers.

I definitely agree with the 'making do' comment. some people panic and look through the phonebook (on their phone, not the literal phonebook:eek::P) for someone that they think might work as a potential boyfriend/girlfriend.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Yeah I can see that. Though I think maybe it's more of an Irish thing than anything else, the country being so small and social groups being more inter-twined and everything.

I'd say it's been 50/50 people I know versus strangers I've randomly met when it comes to relationships I've had. It makes sense that a friend of the opposite sex becomes more in time, but more recently I'm finding the relationships I've had were never platonic and started with the spark and the romantic interest...so they didn't sit for years in my phone before the 'click' happened. I sort of attribute that to being in a different, bigger country with different cultural components to the dating scene. And also my own personality. I've had very few 'growers' in my dating past...when I meet someone, I'm generally either attracted straight away or I'm not. I've a firm line between friendship and 'something more's.

I can definitely think of a few guys in my phone book who could always become something more though. One guy in particular, who I've always had a bit of a 'thing' with, but the timing has just never been right. Maybe some day...

Advertisement