Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You already know your Perfect Partner

Options
  • 10-03-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I remember reading or seeing an article on how by the time you reach a certain age your perfect partner/soulmate is already a name that you have in your phone and you just dont realise it yet....but for the life of me I cant remember where (possibly Cosmo or on This Morning or something like that).
    The thing is I have brought it up as an office conversation topic and now its turned into a full blown debate.

If anyone else has heard of this theory or article could they let me know a link or publication/show to back it up with the others in here.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I heard of this theory but I never really believed until I got together with my boyfriend. I knew him since I was 11 and we started going out years later after I hadn't seen him in a couple of years.

The same thing has happened with my sister and her partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

If this is the case I wish he'd hurry up and make himself known! Goodness knows I'm putting myself out there long enough without any success. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Is it the one referred to here?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well I drowned my phone and melted my sim last week so I'm screwed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Larianne wrote: »
    Well I drowned my phone and melted my sim last week so I'm screwed! :)
    And here I am feeling terrible about having the same sim for about 6 years ¬.¬

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

" Do you 171 take Mikom to be your lawfully wedded husband........"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My parents had known each other for years before they got together, they were in the same course in university but before that my Dad had gone out with a girl from my Mum's class in school. My Mum moved over to London a couple of years later, and wanted to go to a Pink Floyd concert, but her friend hated Pink Floyd and refused to go. My Mum didn't want to go by herself, so her friend was like "Do you remember [my Dad]? He's in London too, and he loves concerts, you should see if he'd go with you" She did, and they met up for a drink - they weren't able to get concert tickets after all that - and they ended up married! :)

Of course, this was in the days before mobile phones :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

I've been with my OH since the day we met. There might be something to it because although we hadn't met we actually had some mutual friends and I suppose it was just a matter of time. Coincidently, we had missed each other loads of times by not attending this event or that night out.

I sometimes wonder if we'd met at some other time would we have had the same spark or was it faith that we just met at the right time :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've been with my OH since the day we met. There might be something to it because although we hadn't met we actually had some mutual friends and I suppose it was just a matter of time. Coincidently, we had missed each other loads of times by not attending this event or that night out.

I sometimes wonder if we'd met at some other time would we have had the same spark or was it faith that we just met at the right time :confused:

I don't think it was faith or fate :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't think it was faith or fate :pac:

Eh pregnancy brain... tis lucky I can remember how to spell my name at this stage :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

And here I am feeling terrible about having the same sim for about 6 years ¬.¬

First time it's ever happened to me. I'm still upset!

On topic, yeah maybe it is a common thing. I'm in a sports club and older members who've got together and married, I've been told they were always slow burners. So met in the club, been friends for years and then hooked up later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I know my perfect partner.Known her for around 3 years.We dated for a short time but geography and an ex conspired against me.She is seeing someone now though so its a no fly zone.Some day though,some day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

So what you are saying is I'm going to marry someone who is already in my phone contacts.....

*looks at the Boardsies numbers in her phone*
    :eek: :pac:

It's odd though. My best mate has been going out with her lad long time now and we had always known of him as he is local too and she even met him few times before on nights out. Then one night BOOM head over heels love and haven't been seperated since. Already have plans in motion for a life together forever.........

Very difficult to get my head around it though. The thought that I could just fall in love with one of the local lads......really?? Can't imagine it :pac:

I reckon that theory is just based on lots of folk getting desperate as they get older. One of the lads was mad to have a girlfriend, he'd be pr1cking about trying to land women (friends of friends) that had no interest at all in him. Then one night he hooks up with a girl we all know for years, strangely enough he never showed any interest in her before, they're madly in love now though, well he is anyway. It's not just a woman thing, lots and lots of fellas get very panicky as the mid 30s approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Deleted.

Put the post in a more appropriate thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

From scanning through my phone book....I really hope that's not the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Very difficult to get my head around it though. The thought that I could just fall in love with one of the local lads......really?? Can't imagine it :pac:

Non-local lads are local somewhere ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's commonly referred to as making do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

stovelid wrote: »
    It's commonly referred to as making do.

That expression :rolleyes:. I think it's a very broad and petulant dismissal of peoples' relationships, and it's a phrase levelled by those who explain away their singledom by implying other people are not being true to themselves. I'm going out with a guy I knew years ago. I'm not making do, I value my life better than to spend the rest of my life with someone I despise all for the sake of having a spouse.

In your face, naysayers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

ah listen generalizations like that are silly, some people marry people they know for years and some people meet new people. Its ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I got married when i was a young 21, Even though i thought i was in love, it ended in divorce.

Lived in Europe for 12 years were i met a lovely girl and in a whirlwind romance got married and then...............divorced.

When i came back to Ireland in 2006 i met a girl through unusual circumstances,she was also a friend of my sisters,we clicked immediately and are now going out the last five years,we do everything together and it seems we are fully compatible and have loads & loads in common,To me after all them years this is my perfect partner,we learn & love together and we feel great, A lot of people (and both us feel) have commented on saying she is your soul mate, so after 30 years of searching & trying i finally found mine.:-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

People generally end up with people they know... shock horror.

''Soul mate'' is a crock of shít. There are billions of potential ''soul mates''.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

People generally end up with people they know... shock horror.
    They generally end up with people of similar social class, educational level and physical(social) attractiveness too.
    ''Soul mate'' is a crock of shít. There are billions of potential ''soul mates''.
    While I like you think the concept is BS, in reality there aren't "billions" of potential soul mates or even mates for that matter. Yes there are billions of humans on earth, but you can remove a huge chunk of them as too old or too young. You can remove more because they're out of your league or you're out of theirs. You can remove another lot because of cultural differences. You can remove the biggest chunk of of all of them as being too distant so you'll never meet them. So most people may have a limited enough pool to chose from.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wibbs wrote: »
    While I like you think the concept is BS, in reality there aren't "billions" of potential soul mates or even mates for that matter. Yes there are billions of humans on earth, but you can remove a huge chunk of them as too old or too young. You can remove more because they're out of your league or you're out of theirs. You can remove another lot because of cultural differences. You can remove the biggest chunk of of all of them as being too distant so you'll never meet them. So most people may have a limited enough pool to chose from.

Way to trample all over my point!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Emme wrote: »
    If this is the case I wish he'd hurry up and make himself known! Goodness knows I'm putting myself out there long enough without any success. :mad:

totally agree...if there is a he...he is outthere somewhere and i wish he would hurry up too. he cant be very clever if he's not discovered me yet ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

I couldn't agree more. :) Well, maybe not billions but I understand your sentiment. ;)
    Wibbs wrote: »
    They generally end up with people of similar social class, educational level and physical(social) attractiveness too.

Once you match on attractiveness and educational (or intellectual) level, I don't believe social class is that important, not in Ireland at least. I'd date across middle- and working-class, provided there was a mental connection and physical attraction. If social class alone was a determinant of leagues, Ted Hughes would never have gone near Sylvia Plath. I'm from a working-class background but don't consider anyone middle-class out of my league for that fact alone, and have considered myself out of the league of some middle-classers I've met who I found to be crashing bores. Upper class, yes, out of my league, but that's is because the cultural differences are just too great. I don't envy Kate Middleton entering that world.

Feeona wrote: »
    That expression :rolleyes:. I think it's a very broad and petulant dismissal of peoples' relationships, and it's a phrase levelled by those who explain away their singledom by implying other people are not being true to themselves. I'm going out with a guy I knew years ago. I'm not making do, I value my life better than to spend the rest of my life with someone I despise all for the sake of having a spouse.

In your face, naysayers :pac:

You're hardly going to say, dead right folks, I hooked up with a lad I know for years as f all better came along and the clock was ticking so loud I thought there was 20 Jehovahs at the door :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

RoverJames wrote: »
    You're hardly going to say, dead right folks, I hooked up with a lad I know for years as f all better came along and the clock was ticking so loud I thought there was 20 Jehovahs at the door :pac:

Hilarious :rolleyes: Well, you haven't even met her or her boyfriend, so how would you know? I don't see why it's so hard to believe that someone would fall for someone they've known for ages - several of my boyfriends have been friends of mine before I started going out with them. Judging by your attitude, though, you're hardly going to see my point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

RoverJames do you see the words "After Hours" above this forum? You do not, so please keep what you think "funneh" to yourself or you'll not be posting in here again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Craig david or buckingham palace, who will it be :pac:

Advertisement