Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imma gonna be an Emo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Monday 29th April

Split Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    3@60kg
    2@64kg
    2@68kg

Had more but al most broke myself on the last snatch. Worst landing I've ever had. Lucky I didn't jack in my knee.

Powerclean
    3@60kg
    3@70kg
    6x2@80kg

Back Squat
    5@60kg
    4@70kg
    3@80kg
    3x5@95kg meant to be 5 sets but they were turning Armenian

Ever see someones knee collapse in at the bottom of the snatch? (done it myself before). Well think the same thing but the back leg in the bottom position of a split snatch. Al most broke my knee off but I was able to walk it off luckily. After a few minutes hobbling around I got back to it.

Rest day tomorrow then my emergence as sprint track athlete extraordinaire. Another sport I'm far too old to pick up but f*ck it anyway.

Wednesday 1st May

The venue for track meet got changed to Tallaght AC so I skipped it. I'm only doing the ones in Irishtown because they are convenient for me to get to.

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    6x2@60kg

Split Clean & Jerk
    3@50kg
    3@60kg
    3@70kg
    2x3@80kg
    2x2@85kg failed one of the jerks from laziness

Forgot to back off sets. Honest.

Snatch Pulls
    3x3@85kg

Clean Pulls
    3x3@110kg

Pulls felt heavy but in general some strength from last year is starting to return.

Thursday 2nd May

Track
    4x120m w/ 4 minute rest

Only three of us there tonight. We were meant to do 4x10s harness pulls at the end but for some reason we were all f*cked after the 4 120's. If I ran another one I mighta been hurling up my lunch. I guess because they were balls to the wall efforts. Lactic acid is a bitch.

I practiced using my right leg forward on the starts verus the left which I have been using. It's my splitting leg..aka the one that goes forward first when someone pushes me, the one I kick a ball with and I read about another test that if stand and have someone say 'go' and fold your arms whatever arm is closest your body is the same side leg you should use. That test showed right leg should go first also. No hard and fast rules but 75% of what I google'd there pointed to that. Dominate/Stronger leg first. It seemed better anyway I just need to relearn the coordination of it. There's not a lot of time between 'set' and 'go' to be adjusting yourself.

My right leg is far stronger than my left now also since I switched to being a split lifter. I'm too lazy to do much in the way of balancing them out other than lunges once a week.

Friday 3rd April

Split Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    3@60kg
    2x3@64kg
    2x2@68kg
    2x3@64kg missed half of them, bloody back off sets

Split Clean & Jerk
    3@60kg
    3@70kg
    2x3@80kg
    2x2@85kg
    2x2@80kg

Walking Lunges
    5 steps forward, 5 steps back
    5@50kg

Saturday 5th April

Paintballing
    3 hours

I tweaked my lower back last night on snatches and when I got of bed this morning I could only do a quarter squat. I was thinking of bailing but decided to see If I could sort myself out. I did a full 40 minutes mobility session which got me down to a half squat. I then stopped at the chemist on the way there for some Vitamin I which got me to a three quarter squat or painful full squat which was good enough. Hopefully good to train through it on Monday with more bouts of stretching and vitamin I.

Weeks Cycling
    58km

• Advertisement

Monday 6th May

Max week this week.

My back was still a bit tight this morning but not too bad. Foam rolled for half an hour when I got up and whacked back some more ibuprofen. I spent another half an hour stretching when I got to the gym. I felt great then and couldn't feel any restriction in range of motion. Good to go.

Split Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    3@50kg
    3@60kg
    3@64kg
    2@68kg
    1@72kg
    1@76kg
    1@78g
    f@80kg
    f@80kg
    1@80kg yay

Back Squat
    5@60kg
    4@75kg
    3@90kg
    2@105kg
    1@115kg not so yay
    3x3@100kg

Mucking about

Sprints
    5x20m w/ blocks

Pretty happy with that I always have 80kg in my head anytime I'm going for a snatch max but I wasn't expecting to be back there yet.

I'm not ready yet to be maxing back squats. 115kg was rough. I need a good 4-6 more weeks building up 5's and 3's. Did a few back off sets to get a bit more work done since didn't really do much on the max attempts.

Things are going in the right direction anyway and I say I might be threatening pbs again in another month or so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

token wrote: »

Things are going in the right direction anyway and I say I might be threatening pbs again in another month or so.

Good timing :P

Edwardius wrote: »
    Good timing :P

Dwayne Chambers* is on his come back

*Waynes new nickname for me :( :pac:

Tuesday 7th May

Track
    Bunch of hurdler drills
    4x120m w/ 7 minute rest

I was having a lot of coordination fails on the hurdler drills. I should have done track as a kid so I wouldn't look so much like an idiot now :o

It was the same session as last Thursday since pretty much nobody was there for that one. I skipped the harness pulls again because I was pretty wrecked after sprints. The written one for the day had loads of 40-60m stuff which I would have preferred with it being max week with lifting.

I got some coaching advice with my form on the sprints. I got one positive comment about good use of my arms then into everything I was doing wrong. First of all I'm far too tense sprinting and I need to relax. A relaxed sprinter is a fast sprinter etc. Secondly I'm not getting my knees high enough. I need to bring my knee high and then bring my foot back down directly under me instead of reaching out and driving the whole time. Basically what everyone does if they have no coaching. It felt good the next sprint when I started putting some of what I was told into practice but I could only maintain it for about 30 meters before I tired out and reverted back to normal.

Wednesday 8th May

Powersnatch
    2x3@40g
    2x2@50kg
    1@60kg
    1@64kg
    1xf@67kg parallel

Split Clean & Jerk
    3@60kg
    3@70kg
    2x3@80kg
    2@85kg
    1@90kg
    3x1@95kg
    1@100kg first time hitting the ton this year

Walking Lunges
    5 steps forward, 5 steps back
    5@60kg

Another pretty good day. I got about what I expected in the powersnatch. I had 70kg in my head as an outside bet but no dice. I should get it in two weeks when I max again.

I exceeded my expectations on the C&J though I was gonna take 3x1@95kg as a victory for the day but I was nailing those so went up to 100kg for a bash and that ended up feeling pretty good also. I had to work for the clean but the jerk was comfortable.

The backwards lunges got pretty difficult for last two sets but happy that I'm managing the jumps in weight fairly well. I didn't go past 60kg in the past but I'm gonna push them hard this training block because I only back squat once a week on Monday and do no squats at all on Wednesday so I need to push the lunges on Friday.

Two days off now and I'm gonna do a small comp in Mulligar this Saturday in prep for nationals. I haven't done any comps at all this year so this will be good to lessen the jitters ahead of nationals. There's a squat and deadlift part to it as well after the weightlifting. I don't know if I'll do that because I'd be lifting f*ck all.

• Advertisement

Saturday 11th May

Mullingar comp

Snatch
    75,78,80,82f

Clean & Jerk
    95,100f,100

Squat

Deadlift

That'll do. Bit of a mixup on calling of 2nd snatch so got a 4th attempt. First time deadlifting in a year and a half. Pure mank so it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gmcgettrick

Well done! Great max week

Well done! Great max week

Yeah pretty happy with it I've mostly recovered from all that runnin' around at the start of the year and I'm not as far off the pace as I thought I was. The sprinting was initially killing me also but I've accommodated to that now and I reckon it's helping lifting now. A few more weeks of pushing now and hopefully I'll start getting pb's again.

Cycled 36km last week

Monday 13th May

Split Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    3@60kg
    2x3@64kg missed two
    2x2@68kg missed one
    1@64kg **** this

Powercleans
    f@60kg lifted it 3 inches of the ground and dropped it. Nope.

Some moping then some messing..

Krazybell Press
    5@1.5 poodz
    Few singles @ 2 poodz

My back was stiff as a board from the deadlifts on Saturday. I tried to train though it but I had an unholy back pump mixed with extreme stiffness by the end of the snatches that I had to throw in the towel on the back off sets. I was gonna try powerclean then but they felt even worse. This is why I don't deadlift I can't hack them at all.

The kettlebells were because a few of the lads were messing around with them and couldn't press the 32kg so I had to go over and show them some functional eliteness.

I hope the back sorts itself by tomorrow because I don't want to miss sprint session.

Wednesday 15th May

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    2x2@60kg

Quit.

Been feeling off the last two days and rundown. You don't really know though how bad you are until you try lift something though. Sometimes you can have mammoth sessions when you don't feel good beforehand. Not today anyway the bar felt heavy warming up, the 40kg sets had zero speed and the doubles required maximum effort so I f*cked in the towel.

I hung around anyway for awhile mucking about with kettebells afterwards. Snatch, Cleans, Jerks, one arm swings. I tried to do a Turkish Getup also but forgot how.

Hopefully its not a proper dose of anything with another max week coming up. Otherwise the recent upbeat nature of this log will swiftly end and I'll live true to my log title again.

Friday 17th May

Squat
    5@40kg
    5@60kg
    3@80kg
    2@90kg
    5x5@100kg

Snatch Pulls
    3x3@85kg

Clean Pulls
    3x3@110kg

Yep got a touch of the ol aids alright but it's not the full Philadelphia strain so hopefully it'll be cleared up within a week. It's enough to kill the CNS as far as rate of force production goes though so I skipped the speed lifts and just did strength. That wasn't great either however and was a bit of a grind to get through.

Max week coming up next week but given my predicament I'll probably only go for maxes on Friday. I predict caffacide in an attempt to beat last weeks maxes.

Cycled 33km last week

Monday 20th May

Split Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    3@50kg
    2@60kg
    1@70kg
    1@75kg
    1@80kg
    1@84kg 1kg pb
    1@85kg 2kg pb

Back Squat
    5@60kg
    4@80kg
    3@90kg
    2@100kg
    1@110kg
    1xf@120kg bad fail was buried :(

I was debating whether I'd max today since I'm still not feeling great but I was feeling antsy so decided to give it a bash anyway and knocked back a double coffee while warming up. I didn't feel particularly strong but my speed was lightning on the warmups and I reckoned I had a pb in me. Slight 'knee graze' on the 85kg but I'd be v.impressed if a referee managed to spot it because it looks grand in the video so Imma take it. Lillis the bastard would probably spot it though but he ain't a ref.

Squats started feeling heavy from 100kg on and I had nothing there for the 120kg. If i feel good on Friday I might give it another go.

So 85kg snatch @ 75kg bodyweight which aint too bad and I say there's a 90kg snatch there this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Go on ya bollox, good work :D!

Tuesday 21st May

Track

Didn't do too much of a warmup some of the usual followed by a few hurdle step overs.

2x120 w/6 minute rest
    4x60 w/4 minute rest

The last session I had I felt something click technique wise but after two weeks off the track I regressed and wasn't getting it tonight. It felt awkward on the 120's. The 60's are too short for me to have time to think about even trying some of the technique stuff especially when you are trying to keep up or beat other people.

Max powersnatch and C&J tomorrow. Not a f*cking hope of pb'ing a powersnatch cause that would be in excess of bodyweight now and I ain't there as of yet! Outside chance at C&J pb but I'm not too pushed if I don't get it tomorrow as I'm treating Friday as the next out and out max day with a days rest beforehand. I'll still knock back a double coffee before training though and go after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Very nice work dude

Wednesday 22nd May

Powersnatch
    2x3@40g
    2@50kg
    1@60kg
    1@64kg
    1@67kg
    1@70kg borderline

Split Clean & Jerk
    3@60kg
    3@70kg
    2@80kg
    1@90kg
    1@95kg
    1@100kg
    1@105kg equal pb
    f@108kg 3 fails

Walking Lunges
    1 step @ 65kg this isn't happening give up

About what I predicted beforehand. Five kilos off my powersnatch PB but given I was drained from sprinting last night it's fairly acceptable.

Likewise on the C&J 105kg is good for being tired. I bumped the weight to 108kg then because I've cleaned 107kg before and wanted to beat that. I missed the first clean but it was close enough for another go. I actually got the second clean but with a big dirty knee touch and with Lillis there in person to check for knee touching tom foolery I can't count it.

My knee usually doesn't get anywhere close to the ground on cleans cause I mostly power them but the weight was really heavy off the floor so I had to pull myself under it. Standing up on the second clean was a bitch and I had nothing left for the jerk so I ended up dropping it. Third attempt was no where close so three strikes and out.

Hitting your knee on split cleans is not the craic. I tried to do walking lunges after because I ain't gonna do them on Friday but it was too sore so I gave up. Nothing serious though will be fine tomorrow.

Good session overall I'm gonna rest up now until Friday and literally take all the coffees before another Snatch and C&J max night. Fairly confident I can pull more pbs out of the bag.

Because I have no Split Clean PB video from tonight's training session you will have to make due with this one until Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I was actually looking through the Coffee Gym channel myself earlier and came across this. Watching once was enough for me.

Good job on the snatch PB!

Yeah I saw that alright and now I've seen it twice :(

There's a new video of her there today though snatching and it doesn't look like it affected her confidence much.

Friday 25th May

Split Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    3@50kg
    2@60kg
    1@70kg
    1@75kg
    f@80kg
    f@80kg
    f@83kg

Damnit move on

Split Clean & Jerk
    3@60kg
    3@70kg
    2@80kg
    1@90kg
    1@95kg
    1@100kg
    f@105kg tough clean, fail jerk

The ECB Games

Box Jump (I didn't do these)
    Broad Jump
    15m sprints
    Standing hurdle jump
    Running hurdle jump
    Vertical Jump
    Sotts Press (snatch grip behind the neck)

It wasn't happening on the lifts. I was really fast in the warmup but once a bit of weight started going on the bar I knew I wasn't 100%. Knee was fairing up so I didn't attempt 105kg C&J again.

It was a bit of a dry spell for PBs in ECB tonight which resulted in some frustration and restlessness and the birth of the first ECB games night. Let the games commence!

I didn't do the box jumps because my knee was sore but once they started doing all the other stuff I couldn't help myself. I haven't done the broad jump since P.E. class in school. It was a bit of craic anyway. We did two man elimination in the sprints where I was beaten in the final. I was a bit slow on the start and 15m isn't far enough to make up.

I got 50kg on the scotts press with split squat stance. I can't press an empty bar in regular squat stance.

I'm an idiot though for doing all that though and my knee doesn't like me v.much right now :(

Went and ate all the BBQ foods then and if that wasn't enough drove to Stilorgan Eddie rockets and got milkshakes. Hanging around with 94-105-super's is gonna make me fat. I don't think oreo cookie milkshake followed soon by ZMA is a good combo

GkBt2YX.png

Saturday 25th May

Irish Milers Club Meet @ Greystones AC

100m
    12.48 with 2.9m/s wind assist

200m
    25.49 with 2.5m/s wind assist

^Part of a 200m is running into it tho so not sure how assisting that is.

I got told about this meet on Tuesday and decided to do it to get the first one out of the way and get some markers down to improve on.

Any small bit of technique I may have picked up so far was out the window for the 100m. I ran tense as hell and was flapping my arms about in an attempt to keep with the faster guys. I also forgot how long 100 meters actually is because I've never actually ran one in training. It's always 120/150m and 60's. I was thinking to myself where the hell is the finish line for the last 30 meters. I was told without wind assistance my time would be 12.57 I was shooting for 12.5 so happy enough.

I actually made a balls of the 200m. The horror stories from some of the lads previous races got in my head too much of going too fast on the bend and dieing on the straight. After the initial burst on the start I held back far too much. I was in lane 6 the most outside lane so I didn't realise until too late I was going far too slow. Not sure what I was thinking because it was like the pace I'm guessing I'd run a 400m at. Once I realised I'd made a balls of it I put as much as I could on the home straight but bit too late. First 200m though so I'll know how to approach it the next time. I should get under 25 immediately.

Overall it was good fun and I enjoyed it. Given it was my first meet and I'd no previous times to compare to it was relatively pressure free. Too pressure free on the 200m! I was pretty tired also from all the messing last night.

Assuming venues don't change I'll be racing a 400m this Wednesday in Irishtown stadium at the Dublin graded meets. I guess the goal for that is sub 60 I don't really know.

Cycled 58km last week

Monday 27th May

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    2x3@60kg
    2x2@64kg
    2x1@67kg failed second one

Powerclean
    3@50kg
    3@60kg
    3@70kg
    2x2@80kg
    2x2@85kg
    2x2@90kg

Back Squat
    5@70kg
    3@90kg
    3x5@105kg meant to be 5 sets but they were fairly rotten looking so left it there

Pretty tired today and flat from all last weeks carry on. Still the weights lifted weren't too bad. Slow as hell but still getting them up there.

I'm leaving the split lifts out for a bit to let my knee recover. It feels a touch fragile but as long as I don't do split stuff it's fairly alright. I'll have a craic at them again either Friday or next Monday.

A video has surfaced of the sprints on Saturday. It confirms my race report of a complete and utter lack of technique on the 100m and goin' for a jog on the 200m bend. Everyone else looks like the T-1000 chasing down John Connor on the 100m while I look like I accidently ended up at an athletics meet on the way to a Junior B match. Shocking stuff altogether.

I knew this but seeing it on video is still an eye opener so I'm going to start focusing on form properly now in training and stop worrying about how fast I'm going. The only place it matters how fast you are going is in at a meet. The same way with weights in the gym Vs the platform!

Tuesday 28th May

Track
    2 x (60-120-150m) @ 3 minutes rest between reps and 6 minutes between sets.

Feeling very tired today as well so that was a good excuse to concentrate on form. I tried to stay relaxed and run move linear without wasted movements. Also concentrating on high knees and bringing the ball of my foot back down directly under me. Felt good but it doesn't feel like you are going v.fast when you do this. I'll have to get a stop watch and compare good form vs bull'ing it. I'm sure it's good form!

The session unsurprisingly was niggling at my knee so I'm going to leave sprinting out until after Nationals so it can recover. Even if I was full health I should probably begin to leave out the sprinting anyway if I want to peak 100% at nationals.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 29th May

Powersnatch
    2x3@40kg
    2x3@50kg
    2@60kg
    5x2@65kg failed one

Power Clean & Power Jerk
    2@60kg
    2@70kg
    2@80kg