Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs West Indies- Mohali, Friday March 11th

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

TheDrog wrote: »
    from cricinfo

Umpiring in the World Cup has run into fresh controversy with Ireland captain William Porterfield strongly criticising Asoka de Silva's decision to give Gary Wilson out lbw despite replays showing the batsman had offered a shot to a delivery that replays clearly indicated had hit him outside the line. Porterfield's comments - unusually sharp for a team captain - came after a match he said turned on that decision.
    "I am still trying to understand myself. The feedback we have got so far is that the ball hit him outside the line and the umpire judged him not playing a shot. I don't know how many people agree with that," Porterfield said after Ireland's 44-run defeat against West Indies.
    The ball in question, delivered by West Indies captain Darren Sammy, pitched outside the off stump and cut in to hit the outside of Wilson's front pad. Wilson was trying to nudge it but failed. But the Sri Lankan official thought he was offering no shot and raised his finger instantly. A surprised Wilson asked for an immediate review. The third umpire Bruce Oxenford relayed to de Silva that the ball had hit outside off and would go on to hit the outside of the off stump according to HawkEye. Replays on the big screen made that clear as also the fact that Wilson was actually trying to play the shot. Disappointed and confused, Wilson asked de Silva to refer the review this time. It was an extraordinary moment which bordered on the comical as de Silva went back to Oxenford once again. In the end, de Silva stuck to his stand and Wilson charged out furiously shaking his head.
    "If you see the replay on the big screen he could've still been able to reverse his decision from there. It was clearly seen he was playing the shot. (And) even though he [de Silva] judged that (wrongly) in the first place he saw the replays on the big screen," Porterfield said. He said that he did not have much time to discuss the issue with the aggrieved Wilson, who was not "in a great state of mind" when he came off the ground. "The word we are getting at the minute is the umpire went back upstairs to check if he hit the ball before the impact on the pad and if it was pad first, or bat first. Surely if you are asking if it was pad first or bat first, you know he is playing a shot. In my opinion they got it wrong."
    Asked if the DRS was proving to be a nuisance rather than a help, Porterfield said he would not blame the reviews per se. "I would like say it (DRS) was working but if you get a decision like that then I don't know. When you have all the technology, it is supposed to eradicate the mistakes and for me that did not happen this time."
    Interestingly, just as Porterfield was trying to bare his emotions, he had to stop briefly as Phil Simmons, the Ireland coach, walked in to have a few private words with his captain. The exchange, the media was told, was "off the record".
    Porterfield admitted that Wilson's wicket was the turning point in Ireland's chase. Wilson had showed a wise head in the company of Ed Joyce, sharing a vital 91-run partnership for the fourth wicket. After Joyce departed Wilson took the onus on him and was playing fluently. Ireland needed 77 from 51 balls and the batting Powerplay was yet to be taken when Wilson was ruled out. "It was the pivotal moment in the game. It was not one of the things that cost us the game as there were other things we did," Porterfield said. "But it was a pretty crucial decision. He was going well. If we had taken the Powerplay we never know especially with Cusy [Alex Cusack] and John boy [Mooney] to come there."
    One man who was more than happy to see the back of Wilson was Sammy. "I was happy that we got him out. That was the main focus for us, he back in the pavilion," he said.
    But at the time of the incident, Sammy was intensely chatting to Wilson after de Silva's original decision. Asked if he saw Wilson's point, Sammy said personally he would not have argued with the umpire. "Ever since I started playing cricket the umpires are in charge. He did what he had to do," Sammy said. So was that what he was making Wilson aware of? "I personally tried to tell him you know what, at the end of the day, the umpire said you are out so don't hang around because you don't really make an issue and get fined. We learned as a team that if the umpire says you are out, unless he tells you to hold on, you walk. You can always give your feedback in the captain's report."
    Incidentally, Ireland were fined. But for another crime. Apparently they had bowled an over short and as a consequence Porterfield was penalised 20% of his match fee while the rest of the team had to take a 10% cut.

Anyone know anything about this?

Got to say I am delighted that William Porterfield spoke out about the Gary's LBW decision. There definitely were other factors within the control of the Irish team which caused us to lose and William accepted this, but the whole purpose of the UDRS was undermined again.

Technology is supposed to prevent shockers. This was a shocker. It failed.

John.Icy wrote: »
    8 an over is a big ask for Ireland. It was increasing by the over, while the run rate needed was at 5, we were at prime position to win, but once to got to 8, it was a huge ask of the boys, and they fought well.

And I am not a bandwagoner for your information, and I understand how a ODI chase of 275 is built, and it is definately not letting the required run rate run off on you, powerplay or no powerplay (powerplay migh have cost us dearly) we let it slip from the grasp of victory.

Hopefully we'll shock South Africa....

With 7 wickets, and 15 overs left, Ireland would expect to chase down 8 an over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

randomer wrote: »
    With 7 wickets, and 15 overs left, Ireland would expect to chase down 8 an over.

Maybe, but they could barely get 5 an over for most of the match, what says that they'd suddenly go up to eight an over for 15 overs, unless we got some super overs with 20 runs in an over, but that was not going to happen.

And I wouldn't expect the boys to chase down eight an over, forget the english match, look at our usual standard. 8 an over for 15 overs is a huge ask of Ireland, like it or not.

No downing on the team though, were playing out of skins this world cup, and even if we don't get through, we can hold our heads high that we can hang with the big guys, and if we tighten up a few area's, we could be an even stronger team in a few years.

Maybe, but they could barely get 5 an over for most of the match, what says that they'd suddenly go up to eight an over for 15 overs, unless we got some super overs with 20 runs in an over, but that was not going to happen.

And I wouldn't expect the boys to chase down eight an over, forget the english match, look at our usual standard. 8 an over for 15 overs is a huge ask of Ireland, like it or not.

No downing on the team though, were playing out of skins this world cup, and even if we don't get through, we can hold our heads high that we can hang with the big guys, and if we tighten up a few area's, we could be an even stronger team in a few years.

I have to disagree. In a 50 over game, a good rule of thumb is that a team, with wickets in hand, will double their 30 over score. After 30 overs, Ireland were 132-3. They were only marginally behind the rate.

The Irish team will have expected to win the game from that position, and will be bitterly disappointed.

8 an over is a big ask for Ireland.

And I think this is a little condescending to be honest. Ireland, operating on a tiny budget, are head and shoulders above the other associate nations and competing with the full members on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

randomer wrote: »
    And I think this is a little condescending to be honest. Ireland, operating on a tiny budget, are head and shoulders above the other associate nations and competing with the full members on a regular basis.

I agree with your upper post, I was happy with their 30 over score, and I thought we'd do it, but it slowed down from there and we couldn't pick it back up again due to some great bowling.

And I agree Ireland can compete with the big guys, I'm just saying, after 35 overs, it was a big task to get 8 runs an over if you know what I mean, especially against a great bowling display from several Indies men. :)

I wouldn't normally stick up for an umpire, but in this case I will.

Asoka de Silva should only be banned for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I smell a conspiracy :)

It was a shocking decision, perhaps to ensure an associate didnt make it out of the group stages of the tournament ;)

More seriously, has the umpire clarified why he refused to change his decision when the technology showed it to be wrong? he has had a bad couple of years now, surely he must be sanctioned somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Well South Africa is next, and a friend of mine from India says there is a Psychic in India that predicted at the start of the World Cup that South Africa would lose to Ireland,

yeah just thought I would throw it on here for the laugh :p...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭looseygoosey

sorry im abit slow ,are we out of the world cup now or what ?

• Advertisement

sorry im abit slow ,are we out of the world cup now or what ?

Technically we can do it, but it's a near impossible situation, but no, were not out just yet.

Advertisement