Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs West Indies- Mohali, Friday March 11th

Options
  • 08-03-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I don't see a thread for this yet.

So this is the big one (not to be disrespectful to the Dutch). If we can win this, we have a huge chance of qualifying. If we don't, we will be staring at honourable elimination. Though South Africa did look vulnerable against England.

I think even before the tournament, this would have been a match, along with Bangladesh, we would have been targeting, despite our rather poor record against them in recent times. The Windies have lost one of their most exciting young players in Bravo, but they blew away a Bangladesh side that we failed to beat ourselves. We have shown remarkable fortitude in both of the last two games though. And the West Indies can blow extremely hot and cold.

It starts at 4am, which is frustrating spectator wise, but hopefully heat won't be a factor.

Can we do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

More than before I believe we can.
    I'd like to see Joyce get a good knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I think we can do this.

Joyce or Stirlilng have yet to fire with the bat. Both are more than capable of setting a platform for the rest of the side.

Looks like TJ will be fit and if Botha is aswell it will be a huge boost.

Keys are

1) See of Roach
    2) Get Gayle out early
    3) Dont allow a platform for Pollard to tee off

we tick all three boxes then we have a really good chance of winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Do any of you think Sarwan & Chanderpaul are past it?

Do any of you think Sarwan & Chanderpaul are past it?

Chanders is soo talented but hes neer really been that impressive to me at the one day game but theres few to match him in the test match arena.

that said I think both Sarwan & Chanderpauls form for the past while isnt anything to be concerned about, but any given day.

both have the tools to destory any team in an ODI at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

D3PO wrote: »

Keys are

1) See of Roach
    2) Get Gayle out early
    3) Dont allow a platform for Pollard to tee off

we tick all three boxes then we have a really good chance of winning.

these three pretty much sum it all up. Sarwan and Chanders are great players but ould rather see one of them at the crease than Gayle. Key with Pollard is don't give his space. He gets out early on fairly often when the bowling is accurate early on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

Anyone know if Trent Johnson will make it back?

Also is it time to drop Rankin? He hasn't gotten one wicket this world cup and has been very costly at times. I can't say he is currently making up for his lack of any batting prowess.

Anyone know if Trent Johnson will make it back?

Also is it time to drop Rankin? He hasn't gotten one wicket this world cup and has been very costly at times. I can't say he is currently making up for his lack of any batting prowess.

they believe TJ will be fit. Hes wearing abrace currently but they are confident he will be fit.

as for Rankin. He was good the last day versus India. He wasnt great the first too games but in fairness the first game in Bengaluru wasnt realyl a bowlers track in fairness.

You cannot drop Rankin, we dont have anybody close to his speed and our seam options without him arent very good. Infact the issue is most of our team are undroppable due to the depth of tallent we have. Sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

D3PO wrote: »
    they believe TJ will be fit. Hes wearing abrace currently but they are confident he will be fit.

as for Rankin. He was good the last day versus India. He wasnt great the first too games but in fairness the first game in Bengaluru wasnt realyl a bowlers track in fairness.

You cannot drop Rankin, we dont have anybody close to his speed and our seam options without him arent very good. Infact the issue is most of our team are undroppable due to the depth of tallent we have. Sad but true.

White or Wilson? White has failed to impress with the bat as did Wilson in his one start.

Am I wrong in thinking Pollard has a bigger reputation than actual consistent performances with the bat? Batting average of 19.84 in ODIs

Corsendonk wrote: »
    White or Wilson? White has failed to impress with the bat as did Wilson in his one start.

Am I wrong in thinking Pollard has a bigger reputation than actual consistent performances with the bat? Batting average of 19.84 in ODIs

White bowls spin, but should be in the team anyway unless Botha is fit and then we have a genuine selection headache :p

Wilson is a wickie not a bowler.

Yep Pollard is hit and miss. Problem is if hes hit he could win the game on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

I'd probably take wilson over white as being the better bat. White has been poor with the bat so far and while wilson did not perform he is the batter batsman of the two. Porterfield has shown that he prefers bowling Stirling and Dockrell to White so its better to go for the better bat of the two. I think that the number 5 slot will be where we see Marshall coming in when at full strength. It's the one position that nobody seems able to hold down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Yuvraj in not a dick shocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

TheDrog wrote: »
    I'd probably take wilson over white as being the better bat. White has been poor with the bat so far and while wilson did not perform he is the batter batsman of the two. Porterfield has shown that he prefers bowling Stirling and Dockrell to White so its better to go for the better bat of the two. I think that the number 5 slot will be where we see Marshall coming in when at full strength. It's the one position that nobody seems able to hold down

Yeah, I agree with that. White isn't justifying a place in the team at the moment. He has looked noticeably uncomfortable with the bat, and we have no shortage of bowling options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

What's the story with Botha?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

booth70 wrote: »

Apparently they have turned up. They were sent with the Indians kit by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

So who's getting up to watch this? Looking forward to it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Didnt know it was the early match. Looks like either a late night or an early start for myself :D

Pudsy33 wrote: »

I am in the US at the moment, so this time is better for me. Rather than starting at 1am, it starts at 8pm. I have been pulling all nighters for the other games. This game will be over before breakfast. But if Ireland win, I won't be going to bed!

Pudsy33 wrote: »

alarm set. looking forward to it.

going to be knackered for work but hey.

At least Im off next Friday so that early game isnt a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fox1978

Yeah wish I was off tomorrow but no can do. I won't be able to wake for it too early so will join it about 8am and catch score remotely on my phone until I get to work and get a nice stream on my laptop! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

What happens if the Ireland match is still on when the england match starts? Will sky push it out to the red button (I have upc) :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Gayle tied Ireland in knots in the last World Cup and Ireland don't appear to have handled the slower bowlers well - even Yuvraj:eek:

Gayle, Benn...I think they'll be the difference with the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

Hillarious video of Paul Stirling in an Ice Bath here! The lads deserve everything they get from this World Cup - Come on Ireland tomorrow morning!

Also a couple of Support Videos here, good to see so many people getting behind Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Videos certainly appear to be flavour of the month with LooseCannon! :pac:

I have to say the West Indies have impressed so far, and at this stage it would be very difficult to pick a winner. Saying that, if the Windies win, and England beat Bangladesh, then we are through, so will be backing them tomorrow :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Eire celticbhoy

Is it worth getting up for if ya have college at 9 and you have the flu ? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Heading to bed soon so I can get up for this. Only realised today that it was a 4am game not a 9am one :(.

Can't wait for it though, hopefully another good performance from the boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

DH2K9 wrote: »
    What happens if the Ireland match is still on when the england match starts? Will sky push it out to the red button (I have upc) :(

Yes unfortunately. There is a thread for streams in the sticky part of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Come on Ireland. By tomorrow afternoon there could be a bit of an anti-climax. Fingers crossed the lads can do enough to prevent that. Waking up late will almost be a relief from the tension. Hopefully it will be waking up to a decent position. Sounds like there's a bit more in it for the bowlers this time. Would be nice to see Rankin get stuck in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Is it worth getting up for if ya have college at 9 and you have the flu ? :o

Of course :pac: Getting up at horrific hours in the morning from November to March every year is what being a cricket fan is all about ;)

• Advertisement

Ireland won the toss and will field. Trent Johnston out for Ireland, Chris Gayle out for the West Indies.

Advertisement