Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

car purchase,
    just looking for some advice please if possible.
    had a bad car crash recently so I am moving away from my motorbike and into a car to travel to work.
    I have replaced the car that was totalled already, so we have the family car now,
    so just looking at a run around for work travel and local driving.
    I have come across a Renault megane Coupe 1.4 petrol
    96000 miles, elec windows front and back, shocks have been done and timing belt just done, also just passed through the nct 2 weeks ago.
    small damage on wheel arch, but nothing major, price is €1200.00.
    i have never driven a renault, so just looking for some advice.
    is this an alright car, will it be ok for 100mile round trips to work every day.
    there is no ad online for this car yet as it was brought to our attention, so there is some movement on the price.
    any advice on what to look for or what to expect would be great.
    thank you.
    Rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Craazysteve

Hi Limerick Man..Just wanted to say thanks for this post, I found it very useful recently when I bought my first car!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

Just sent an enquiry for this:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3817101

I am currently learning to drive, stress of finding a good car when you dont know jack about motors is probably well known to you all. Thank you for all the advise and information on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Absolutely crazy money for that. You'd get a 02 new shape for that kinda money.

I wouldn't be afraid of buying one with close to 100,000 miles than buying that.

Anything that goes wrong with those is very, very easy fix.

Look out for things like the speedo not working, rear lights working, central locking, window electics etc., but they're all easy fixes.

That car is worth a grand, max.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

Absolutely crazy money for that. You'd get a 02 new shape for that kinda money.

I wouldn't be afraid of buying one with close to 100,000 miles than buying that.

Anything that goes wrong with those is very, very easy fix.

Look out for things like the speedo not working, rear lights working, central locking, window electics etc., but they're all easy fixes.

That car is worth a grand, max.

Thanks Limerickman, I will ask how seller is fixed on price. Your advise, as always, is very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Gman21

Hi I am 22 and going back to college this year I am thinking of getting a small van or car (something cheap low tax/insurance). Anyone have any advice on what kind of car I should be looking for? I was thinking of getting a berlingo. This is my first time buying a car have been driving fathers transit for last 4 years. Any help would be appreciated.

I would imagine a car would be better for you for tax/insurance purposes.

ya I'm starting to think a small diesel car is my best bet. any recommendations on what kind of car I should go for? I would drive anything to be honest. As long as it's reliable and doesn't breakdown to often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

What would be the opinion on a seller who is only willing to have the car viewed at a car park or the likes and not an address ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Very fishy. One of the golden rules of buying a car. Also clarify the name on the log book (VLC) to that address.

What doesn't he want to meet at his home address? Probably because the car is trouble and you will have no way of contacting him again. The sim card will also be binned, I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Very fishy. One of the golden rules of buying a car. Also clarify the name on the log book (VLC) to that address.

What doesn't he want to meet at his home address? Probably because the car is trouble and you will have no way of contacting him again. The sim card will also be binned, I'd imagine.

He never said it that way but he basically said that he doesn't want anybody coming back to him so I just said okay, good luck to yeah so.

This would be the third time a person has only wished to do business at a hotel, pub or car park. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I buy a car that has been out of tax since January, will I be liable to pay for it since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

girlonfire wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I buy a car that has been out of tax since January, will I be liable to pay for it since then?

No, you're only liable from when you owned it (the date you signed the log book).

But if you buy a car on the last day of the month (31st), then you're liable for that whole month too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

That's brilliant. Thanks a million Ollie

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whytisme

LM, amazing post, I've read lots in here.

I don't know cars much myself. If going through a dealer rather than private, is it still a "normal" thing to bring your mechanic to check out the car?

whytisme wrote: »
    LM, amazing post, I've read lots in here.

I don't know cars much myself. If going through a dealer rather than private, is it still a "normal" thing to bring your mechanic to check out the car?

You're perfectly entitled to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whytisme

Good man, LM.

I can understand getting my local mechanic to a car within a few miles of where he's based.

But if you're going seeing a car that's a good bit away, what have others done here? Not bothering with having a mechanic look at it, or tried finding a mechanic they didn't know who close to where the car is being sold?

Arah I wouldn't bother trying to find mechanic, unless you're going to go all out and get one of those AA inspections, a random mechanic wouldn't be my first choice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

Seen a car advertised online, only went up a couple of days ago but already by today he has cut the price by 200e for a "quick sale" is this something that is normal or is it something to be worried about?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Flunch wrote: »
    Seen a car advertised online, only went up a couple of days ago but already by today he has cut the price by 200e for a "quick sale" is this something that is normal or is it something to be worried about?

he just needs the money....but proceed with caution like any car purchase.

I was looking at a 2001 ford focus hatchback. Is 140k miles very high? How long does a focus usually last for. will there be much breakdowns and repairs with these cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

How much it going for.
    has clutch been changed and timing belt
    get checked out properly but most cars and focus should last well over 200kmiles once looked after

Gman21 wrote: »
    I was looking at a 2001 ford focus hatchback. Is 140k miles very high? How long does a focus usually last for. will there be much breakdowns and repairs with these cars?

If it has a service history which I doubt go for it.

If it hasn't try get one with some bit of a history, mileage irrelevant.

if you want something in that size, a totoya corolla will do intergallatic milage with the least trouble and will last forever if serviced.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    if you want something in that size, a totoya corolla will do intergallatic milage with the least trouble and will last forever if serviced.

I was thinking of going for a corolla aswell. I heard the clutch goes in a lot of them. Any truth? I was driving a friends 1.3 corolla a while back and the clutch was slipping. It was still ticking away though. Nice little cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

I was thinking of going for a corolla aswell. I heard the clutch goes in a lot of them. Any truth? I was driving a friends 1.3 corolla a while back and the clutch was slipping. It was still ticking away though. Nice little cars.

How much was focus going for

Clutch is a wear and tear item, not a common fault.

• Advertisement

Clutch is a wear and tear item, not a common fault.

+1 , any car can have a slipping clutch.

Advertisement