Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

choons wrote: »
    Two quick car shopping questions:

1. I'm viewing a car in a few hours and would like a test drive (private sale). Can I take out insurance for one day? I'm with Axa but they have said that they don't allow test drives :mad:

2. The car is only going for €950, is it worth running a car history check? I might not bother.

Sorry, i was away yesterday.

Did you buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Looking for a good yaris, for my gf guys. is there still any value to be had from buying up north?

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Looking for a good yaris, for my gf guys. is there still any value to be had from buying up north?

What year/budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Ooops sorry - 3grand budget.
    Hoping for a 2003 with <100k miles recent nct.

Gf is worrying a lot about reliability and as everyone else, doesnt want to buy a lemon. So she wants a mechanic we know and trust to check the car out. But that means were limited to our own area in Limerick.

Help!?!
    Thank you!!
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I'll be looking to get a car in the next few weeks. I have a max of 8000 to spend. I'll be doing small miles about 150 a week so it can be petrol.
    I was looking for comfort and power.
    I was thing along the lines of a 330ci, S60R, 05+ gti, clk, and maybe a Mazda 6 mps.

I was going to have a look at this one,
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3598342
    Anything to lookout for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Sorry, i was away yesterday.

Did you buy?

I did :D

01 Punto in good nick with a years NCT and got it for €900 in the end. Should last me a year at least so I'm happy out. I'll throw a pic into the 'Post a pic of your car' thread!

Fantastic guide here, gave me a lot of confidence! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

Hi guys,

Could anyone recommend some used car dealers please?
    I'm in the Lucan area. Have a €2000 budget and looking to buy a Clio/Corsa.. something small!

I know theres one in Palmerstown and a few in Tallaght but this is my first car and it all seems very daunting!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

What is the view on P12 Nissan Primeras

For a few grand they seem to be a lot of car. I don't care about looks etc, but reliability & safety is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If going though a dealer and trading I understand that you give the Vechile Registration Cert to the dealer. But do you get anything to send to Shannon to show you no longer own it.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭vonniec

The car I'm looking at has a vehicle registration certificate issued in the last three months, but there is no change of ownership...

Not sure what this means?? The post says it should tell you if it was private or dealer...or have i just read it wrong?

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    If going though a dealer and trading I understand that you give the Vechile Registration Cert to the dealer. But do you get anything to send to Shannon to show you no longer own it.

:confused:

The garage will temporarily put the car in their name. You can check that this has been completed by logging onto motortax.ie and vehicle transacytion enquiry. If nothing showz up contact the dealer.
    vonniec wrote: »
    The car I'm looking at has a vehicle registration certificate issued in the last three months, but there is no change of ownership...

Not sure what this means?? The post says it should tell you if it was private or dealer...or have i just read it wrong?

This means they have lost the logbook and applied for a new one, nothing sinister there.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What is best make of smaller cars e.g. 1.0 or 1.1 cars to get please?

Any advice greatly appreciated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What is best make of smaller cars e.g. 1.0 or 1.1 cars to get please?

Any advice greatly appreciated

yaris ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

MidlandsM wrote: »
    yaris ..........

Thanks also the most expensive :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In the 1.0 or 1.1, Yaris is the best. Corsa is also a decent shout.

If you go to 1.2, I'd recommend a Punto, or a Grande Punto (newer model from 06 onwards)
    I've recently been looking and test driving loads of cars in that engine size range and settled on the Grande Punto. Very happy with it. Of all the smaller cars you get a bit of performance from it, it's economical, the parts are cheap, simple engine, looks good and is spacious.

The other contender for me was a Fiesta, but the engine just sounded too mechanical for me.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    In the 1.0 or 1.1, Yaris is the best. Corsa is also a decent shout.

If you go to 1.2, I'd recommend a Punto, or a Grande Punto (newer model from 06 onwards)
    I've recently been looking and test driving loads of cars in that engine size range and settled on the Grande Punto. Very happy with it. Of all the smaller cars you get a bit of performance from it, it's economical, the parts are cheap, simple engine, looks good and is spacious.

The other contender for me was a Fiesta, but the engine just sounded too mechanical for me.

All Corsas are crap! Stay away

All Corsas are crap! Stay away

+1, god yeah, avoid corsa's ...........

I know Liz, but you'll get it back at the other end when you sell :)
    It'd be worth stratching a budget an extra grand for a good yaris........trouble free motoring, frugal and decent ncap safety too......which people often overlook..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Gonna be viewing 3 cars on Monday but cannot bring mechanic friend along, brother will come for the spin though.

3 cars spread across leinster so should take the whole day. What would you recommend LM view all three and then come back in afew days to buy as tbh if i like the first one i think it might be silly to leave a deposit as i might like the other 2 better. Whole reason for trying out three is because they are all different specs and never driven the make/model before so want some comparison.

Have limited technical knowhow besides common sense/know the basic things to look for as does brother so deffo can't buy/get mechanic friend to view+hook up to diagnostic equipment until i have it narrowed down to one car as my mechanic friend is very busy and is only off 1 day a week.

How would you approach this ?

What car is it?

Definitely drive all three before you even consider putting a deposit down! The beauty of this is that you'll a feel for the car and you'll be able to come to a conclusion that one is "Tighter" than the other, or one has this that and the other thing, all three have this problem etc. etc.

• Advertisement

if it a popular car Jimbob, well priced etc, chances are some will be sold before you get near then..........if you dilly dally ......

MidlandsM wrote: »
    if it a popular car Jimbob, well priced etc, chances are some will be sold before you get near then..........if you dilly dally ......

Focus ST, popular sure but will many people run out and buy one w/o serious consideration, nope.

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Focus ST, popular sure but will many people run out and buy one w/o serious consideration, nope.

ahhh you are grand so.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Obvious things are check how many owners, vin matches book, nct mileage match, any signs of respray or rust underneath in case imported from north of IRl or UK, wear and tear on seats, steering wheel, floor. Check up on was there any call backs on model you want and see if was sorted. Do not buy if at a car park or so it can be very risky, when buying and owner is going to send log book make sure to get this photocopied.
    This all might be already known but just some of what I could think of

Obvious things are check how many owners, vin matches book, nct mileage match, any signs of respray or rust underneath in case imported from north of IRl or UK, wear and tear on seats, steering wheel, floor. Check up on was there any call backs on model you want and see if was sorted. Do not buy if at a car park or so it can be very risky, when buying and owner is going to send log book make sure to get this photocopied.
    This all might be already known but just some of what I could think of

Ahh yea well plan is Motorcheck the 3 cars im viewing the night before + Ford Etis reg check (gives full spec/recall info and the like)

Then view all 3 in turn checking for the simple stuff and things known to give issue with the car like sideskirts/underfloor body faults, Oil filter membrane problems and dropped clutches and after test drive to agree a provisional price w/o leaving a deposit.

Main thing is just to get a feel for the car and the owner ofc in each case and then go home(galway 2h 30 mins away) make up my mind which i prefer and ring the owner the following day and agree to have a mechanic friend do a diagnostic check and mechanical the following sunday or so and if it checks out buy at provisionally agrees price and off i go.

Considered a Motorcheck inspection too to make things simpler but it unduly ties you down to 1 car and if the seller gets wind you need to borrow the car for 90 mins to do a check that is costing you guts of 200 bean they might get a little cheeky on price to try and squeeze you as you have commited yourself financially.

I will update you with my tales of woe on tues/weds :pac:

Hi LimerickMan,
    Fantastic thread.

Have you ever bought a car and not been happy with it at all? Although every thing is perfect with it?

How long would you be inclined to keep it before selling it again?

Talking 4k range here.

FrontDoor wrote: »
    Hi LimerickMan,
    Fantastic thread.

Have you ever bought a car and not been happy with it at all? Although every thing is perfect with it?

How long would you be inclined to keep it before selling it again?

Talking 4k range here.

I always buy a car with the mind to be able to change it as soon as possible without losing money.

If I wasn't happy with a car, even it being perfect, nothing would stop me selling it a week later. Just having to convince potential buyers of this is the killer.

I always buy a car with the mind to be able to change it as soon as possible without losing money.

If I wasn't happy with a car, even it being perfect, nothing would stop me selling it a week later. Just having to convince potential buyers of this is the killer.

I bought a yoke that is mechanically bang on etc, checked by mechanic. Apparently it is very fresh. Just no interest in it at all.

It came fairly right, cheaper than anything on Donedeal, but probably isn't the most popular of cars.

Might stick it up again in a few months and see does it interest anybody.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

So rang about a second hand car today. The owner emigrated to Australia 2 years ago and his father is selling on his behalf. This is defo a celtic tiger construction vehicle and aside from the potential outstanding finance side of things, how do i stand from a legal point of view?

Would the vehicle have to be in the fathers name to sell it? Otherwise from a legal point of view if the name on the log book is not the sellers, am i essestially buying a stolen vehicle?????!!!!!

Any other comments or concerns about buying a vehicle from a non resident welcome....

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ IANAL (i.e. this is not a legal opinion), but if the properly completed registration certificate that you have witnessed being posted to Shannon bears a 'signature' of the current registered owner in the appropriate (transfer of ownership) section, then, all other things being equal, a new registration certificate will be posted to you from Shannon.

In other words, anyone can scrawl a 'signature' on the certificate. You will only have to worry if there actually is something underhand going on (i.e. if it turns out that the actual owner had not consented to the sale), and I presume you will be able to get a gut feeling about this before committing to buying the vehicle.

On a separate point, you mention 'construction vehicle' in your post. If you mean that the vehicle is classed as commercial for motor tax purposes, you should make yourself aware of the new regime regarding the taxation/use of this class of vehicle, which makes it very difficult for an owner to use such a vehicle for any non-commercial purposes. Do a search of this forum for more information on this if it is relevant to you.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement