Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

Hi Guys,

Getting my first car so I have been looking over the thread for the last few days as I am thinking of buying a car shortly. Looked at one today Peugeot 206, 2002, 1.1 engine, 66k on the clock for 1900. Tax & NCT is up in a month.

Do you recon I can get a better price or is this a good buy? Any advise you can give would be most appreciated, know very very little about cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

ItsNoAlias wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Getting my first car so I have been looking over the thread for the last few days as I am thinking of buying a car shortly. Looked at one today Peugeot 206, 2002, 1.1 engine, 66k on the clock for 1900. Tax & NCT is up in a month.

Do you recon I can get a better price or is this a good buy? Any advise you can give would be most appreciated, know very very little about cars.

not a great buy if it does'nt come with a fresh new 1 years nct...and its overpriced, and them 206's, well I'd not bother.......

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

any tip's i should be on the look out for in a toyota corolla 1.4 d4d, 04 with just over a 100,000 miles, (lad selling it for his mother in law) he'll know tomorrow if the timing belt was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

patdahat wrote: »
    any tip's i should be on the look out for in a toyota corolla 1.4 d4d, 04 with just over a 100,000 miles, (lad selling it for his mother in law) he'll know tomorrow if the timing belt was done.

Was the 1.4 d4d out in 04?

Any link to the ad? i presume its an engliah yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

Was the 1.4 d4d out in 04?

Any link to the ad? i presume its an engliah yoke

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3653813

• Advertisement

patdahat wrote: »

Seems like a lot of money for it! Althought they're hard got and a reliable car, 6 grand for an 8 year old Corolla is alot in any mans money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

hey LM,

any advice on me buying this http://www.glasnevinautos.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=804528&r= or found here: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/1.4-3DR-/8213391660266820/advert?channel=CARS
    my cash limit is 2000.
    went to see it and it looks in good nick from the outside.

2 grand is very high end for a 01 Mk4 petrol.

Unless you're set on buying from a dealer, and you're getting at least a 3 month full warranty or 6 month engine and box, I wouldn't bother and I would go private.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

MidlandsM wrote: »
    not a great buy if it does'nt come with a fresh new 1 years nct...and its overpriced, and them 206's, well I'd not bother.......

Thanks mate, decided not to go for it. Great threadand extremely helpful to those of us who know very little about cars. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

What are peoples opinions on ads with full of grammar & spelling mistakes ? E.g the ones that are two lines long and nearly all in one sentence.

• Advertisement

What are peoples opinions on ads with full of grammar & spelling mistakes ? E.g the ones that are two lines long and nearly all in one sentence.

Just because someone can't spell doesn't make them or their car any worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shano77

Hi, I am new to Ireland and unfortunately read your great advice after purchasing a vehicle. The person i purchased it off was selling on behalf a friend. The change of ownership form had been signed by the owner and my details were added. He said he will post asap and i will receive my log book in 10 days.

After seeing your advice i done the PSE test online. It has come back and says that the vehicle has been purchased buy a dealer a few days before i have finalised the deal privately. Do i need to worry??

I have paid for a history check and it has come back positive in all areas.

thanks

Sounds like someone bought the car "Trade".

Basically, the selling for a friend was an excuse used by the seller, they more than likely deal in cars. Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, just keep an eye out and keep on top of the seller for the logbook.

Thanks Limerick man. I will contact seller if i have not received a log book after 10 days.

I now want to insure the car and pay tax. Can i insure the car before i receive the log book? Also can i put 6months tax on before i receive the log book as i am guessing until he sends the form in, it is still in the previous owners name. Does this mean legally i can not drive the vehicle until all of this is done?

Appreciate any advice

shano77 wrote: »
    Thanks Limerick man. I will contact seller if i have not received a log book after 10 days.

I now want to insure the car and pay tax. Can i insure the car before i receive the log book? Also can i put 6months tax on before i receive the log book as i am guessing until he sends the form in, it is still in the previous owners name. Does this mean legally i can not drive the vehicle until all of this is done?

Appreciate any advice

You can insure it yes, as the car is yours in the eyes of the insurance company once money has been handed over.

As for the tax, I'm afraid you will have to wait for that. A very recent date on the insurance disc should be enough for an Garda to believe you only recent made the purchase.

You have to remember though, driving an untaxed car in Ireland is an offence, and as far as I'm aware it's up to the Garda's discretion whether to impose a fine or not, although I'm sure most would let it slide.

Thanks again. I will insure it asap and probably take the risk of driving it until i can tax it. Fingers crossed if i get pulled over by a Guarda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Okay, just did a history check a the Saab I'm buying from a private seller.

"Our records show that the Road Tax is not current for this vehicle. This means that the vehicle has either not been road legal for a total period of 282 days and may have been off the road for some or all of that period."

It has a current NCT now, but was without an NCT for period Feb 2011 - March 2012. And wasn't taxed for most of that period either.

This worries me now. Due to pick the car up over the weekend. I'm trying to contact seller to see what the story is.

Yes I should have done a history check before I agreed to buy it. Lesson learnt.

Who doesn't NCT or tax their car for nearly a year?

Any advice. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Who doesn't NCT or tax their car for nearly a year?

My only experience is by looking at the NCT, insurance and tax discs on parked cars wherever I go. I have yet to see a car without a valid insurance disc, but have seen lots of them with either the tax or the NCT expired (and some by a far margin). There is no single kind of car, location or supposed owner to blame, I have seen from cars that would be better in a scrap yard and cars in very good condition, not yet 10 years old and parked at my company's parking lot.

I guess the insurance is what can worry drivers the most, because should you have an accident you may be forced to pay tens of thousands in damages, but having no NCT o tax could give, in most situations, just a warning or small fine from the Gardai.

Don't know if you miss the tax due date and you later renew it you have to pay for all the period that was not paid for, but if not, that would make a reasonable decision for some people on a tight budget (or those pissed of by the sudden taxation change in 2008, promoting people to dump their old, engine size-taxed cars, in favor of new, emission-based ones).

Regarding the NCT I guess the more recent the better, and if the NCT wasn't passed on time it maybe just a matter of the car owner knowing it was going to fail, and now that it's time to sell he has fixed whatever was needed, that he understood would bring more value to the car than the cost of repairs and the NCT.

Cheers Dardhal.

I won't be liable for the backdated tax, as I'll be the new registered owner, so only be liable from date of transfer.

Also, I have learnt the guy lost his job, so this might explain not taxing/NCT.

It has a current NCT, so another good sign. And a good service history.

You made good points about seeing cars without tax and NCT discs that aren't not necessarily bad cars. I've seeing a few now, come to think of it.

Think I'll go ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭wheatser

Hey guys,

The girlfriend is thinking of buying a 03 Ford Focus with 70,000 miles on it. NCT'd until Mar13. He is asking for 2,400.Car looks and drives fine but i wouldnt have much knowledge of cars beyond appearance.

Asked the seller could we get it checked out at a garage in Ashbourne (seller based in Santry) and he says we can't as we would be going to far away. What does people think of this? What is the norm regarding inspection. Do people normally leave a deposit or something with him?

Also regarding the price should we be able to get it cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

wheatser wrote: »
    Hey guys,

The girlfriend is thinking of buying a 03 Ford Focus with 70,000 miles on it. NCT'd until Mar13. He is asking for 2,400.Car looks and drives fine but i wouldnt have much knowledge of cars beyond appearance.

Asked the seller could we get it checked out at a garage in Ashbourne (seller based in Santry) and he says we can't as we would be going to far away. What does people think of this? What is the norm regarding inspection. Do people normally leave a deposit or something with him?

Also regarding the price should we be able to get it cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

To be honest depending on how far away the garage is I wouldn't allow it either. Most people would bring the mechanic to the car, not the car to the mechanic.

Timing belts on those Fords are due at 100k miles or 10 years, so basically that belt is due to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭wheatser

To be honest depending on how far away the garage is I wouldn't allow it either. Most people would bring the mechanic to the car, not the car to the mechanic.

Timing belts on those Fords are due at 100k miles or 10 years, so basically that belt is due to be changed.

Mechanic came over last night anyway and told us to stay away from the car. The side panels were all different and there was an oil leak or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Going to have a look at this at the weekend, a possible purchase: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/PAY-WEEK/201221208337552/advert?channel=CARS
    Should I be worried by the price for such low mileage? Similar cars with the same year are going for more with higher mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

madcabbage wrote: »
    Going to have a look at this at the weekend, a possible purchase: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/PAY-WEEK/201221208337552/advert?channel=CARS
    Should I be worried by the price for such low mileage? Similar cars with the same year are going for more with higher mileage.

It's possible they took in as a trade in and may have got a good price looks nice and from a main dealer should be fine.

It's great it has lower miles and is cheaper they may be the only ones out there to notice you will sell a car easier and quicker if it's priced well.

If you are in any doubt get a mechanic or the AA to do a check on it before cash exchanges hands

Not many extras on it either

madcabbage wrote: »

Could be just priced to sell.

The colour slightly distracts from the fact it's a boggo spec, but thread carefully anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

any faults to look out for on a 02 ford focus have been offered one for €2500 90k miles

driver02 wrote: »
    any faults to look out for on a 02 ford focus have been offered one for €2500 90k miles

Petrol or diesel? 1.4 or 1.6 etc?

Hatchback or saloon? The hatchbacks fetch a bit more. €2500 is on the high side for a 10 year old car.

If I were in the market for a 2002 Focus I'd check this car out. New NCT and 3 months tax. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3404109

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Petrol or diesel? 1.4 or 1.6 etc?

Hatchback or saloon? The hatchbacks fetch a bit more. €2500 is on the high side for a 10 year old car.

If I were in the market for a 2002 Focus I'd check this car out. New NCT and 3 months tax. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3404109

Thanks, petrol 1.4 hatchback preferred look better i think

Unless it's a very clean, low mileage high spec car 2,500 is alot. At the same time, good cheap cars have disappeared and are beginning to demand a premium.

• Advertisement

driver02 wrote: »
    Thanks, petrol 1.4 hatchback preferred look better i think

Agreed the hatchback looks better and are more desirable.

€2,500 is too much though. I'd be looking to pay €2k max, with mileage under 100k miles. Plenty to choose from.

This is from a main Ford Dealer, and you'd probably pick it up for €2k. Private and independent garages would be cheaper, obviously. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3770799

Timing belts are due @100k miles or ten years. See if this has been done. Coil packs usually go around this time, but it's a cheap job to get done. The Focus are great cars. Any garage can service them and parts are cheap.

Advertisement