Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For people who make less than those on the dole...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

People on welfare should be made do 10-15 hours community service a week - Society is keeping these folk alive to them so they should be made contribute to society!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Oranage2 wrote: »
    People on welfare should be made do 10-15 hours community service a week - Society is keeping these folk alive to them so they should be made contribute to society!!

No thanks, we spend 39 hours a week looking for jobs. Do I tell you to work full time and do another 10-15 hours of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I am one of those dole "scroungers" that everyone complains about
    I was laid off last May and cannot find a job that is suitable for me
    I have a degree and have letters after my name but I am not confining my search to jobs that I spent years qualifying for I would do any job that would be:
    a) Local as I have kids
    b) cover the cost of childcare and leave me a few quid at the end of the week

I have paid considerable amount in PAYE and PRSI over the 15+ years that I have worked
    I don't get any of the other benefits that people go on about because my OH works and medical cards, mortgage interest etc are means tested jointly so I have circa €200 a week which I won't have when May comes round again as I won't be eligible for JSA

I dont like sitting on my ass most days!
    I hate not having to get up in the morning for work
    but it wouldnt pay me to work for the minimum wage!

I'd be fine doing it. A job is a job and I'd make more doing it than on the dole (if it was full time), plus it'd be better than looking for jobs all the time and being bored.
    angelfire9 wrote: »
    I am one of those dole "scroungers" that everyone complains about
    I was laid off last May and cannot find a job that is suitable for me
    I have a degree and have letters after my name but I am not confining my search to jobs that I spent years qualifying for I would do any job that would be:
    a) Local as I have kids
    b) cover the cost of childcare and leave me a few quid at the end of the week

I have paid considerable amount in PAYE and PRSI over the 15+ years that I have worked
    I don't get any of the other benefits that people go on about because my OH works and medical cards, mortgage interest etc are means tested jointly so I have circa €200 a week which I won't have when May comes round again as I won't be eligible for JSA

I dont like sitting on my ass most days!
    I hate not having to get up in the morning for work
    but it wouldnt pay me to work for the minimum wage!

I think if you do a FÁS course you will get the 185. Plus you aren't on Jobseekers, how the Hell can you be a scrounger?

• Advertisement

I'd be fine doing it. A job is a job and I'd make more doing it than on the dole (if it was full time), plus it'd be better than looking for jobs all the time and being bored.

I think if you do a FÁS course you will get the 185. Plus you aren't on Jobseekers, how the Hell can you be a scrounger?

I am on jobseekers benefit it runs out in may
    If i do a course i'll be out of pocket as childcare is ridiculously expensive!:mad:

I am on jobseekers benefit it runs out in may
    If i do a course i'll be out of pocket as childcare is ridiculously expensive!:mad:

Hmm, if you're 25 or over, you might get to do a CE scheme. It's only 39 hours every two weeks. So usually it's just two days you work till five and one day till about 1 or so.

I'd reckon you could get a neighbour or realtive to look after the kids for a few hours twice a week.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/community_employment_scheme.html

Hmm, if you're 25 or over, you might get to do a CE scheme. It's only 39 hours every two weeks. So usually it's just two days you work till five and one day till about 1 or so.

I'd reckon you could get a neighbour or realtive to look after the kids for a few hours twice a week.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/employment_support_schemes/community_employment_scheme.html

mmmm
    Thanks for that
    19.5 hours a week MIGHT be manageable
    I'll have a chat with my mother re babysitting

Thanks again, i thought all those schemes were 39 hour week jobs!

mmmm
    Thanks for that
    19.5 hours a week MIGHT be manageable
    I'll have a chat with my mother re babysitting

Thanks again, i thought all those schemes were 39 hour week jobs!

FÁS courses are, usually. CE schemes are practically designed for people like yourself, low hours per week (only part time) and you can usually manage it.
    I dunno what coursese there though, I know things like office work is one of them. Usually they're around the area where you live, hopefully. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Just because you may have a masters in history or anthropology does not make you employable or somehow give you value.

You're completely missing (or overlooking) the OPs point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

JoePie wrote: »
    Calling bs.

I came straight out of college, looked hard enough, and found a job. I'm here a month now. When the job market is as bad as it is, it looks a lot better going to a prospective employer with current employment rather than being on the dole. In saying that, I got lucky. I was applying for jobs everywhere. Doing the rounds on Grafton Street every other day. Luckily, I got a call from a company about a line of work that I wanted to be in.

That's completely untrue. In the last month I have been filtering through approximately 100 cv's a week.
    1. Check education, training and experience (don't necessarily have to have all three).
    2. Discard at least half as not suitable for position advertised.
    3. Check cv for spelling mistakes (depending on role advertised).
    4. Filter through remaining 20-30 cv's.

Now I have to narrow down to 10ish. Quite frankly I would be more concerned with a person leaving a perfectly good job (as per their cv) than someone who has honestly listed themselves as unemployed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

No thanks, we spend 39 hours a week looking for jobs. Do I tell you to work full time and do another 10-15 hours of work?

Hhahaahhahaha....as if anyone spends 39 hours exactly looking for a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

But the thing is, if you had a child to feed etc., you would be better off (financially at least) not working and claiming dole/benefits etc. (and be able to spend plenty of time with your child to bond etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

kmick wrote: »
    Well a job in Abrakebabra is technically a job feeding the poor no?

Excuse me I will have you know I'm a respectful middle class Kebab fiend.

Advertisement