Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Option 3 voted in so we are back to evens. Option 1, to stay status quo at odds, wasn’t even proposed or seconded by the floor at the meeting so the voting came down to Option 3 & 4. The Gowna proposal did better than expected losing 34 votes to 54.

Option 3

• U12 with Go Games(non-competitive), U14, U16, U18

• Retain decoupling at U17 with at least one further age grade beyond U17. (currently U20 in

Cavan).

• Players in their 18th year can play or train with adult teams

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Option four was a brilliant option. So much football for players in it. Top table gave clarification on it after everyone had voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭rrs

Michael Lyng taking over Cavan Gaels. He was joint manager of Ballybay this year with Johnston. Ballybay ended up in a relegation play off, after winning the championship the previous year.

[quote]

Option 4: 

This has been suggested by the Youth Board followingconsultation on an initial proposal from the Gowna Cluband taking into account the views expressed at the last county board meeting involving Club Youth representatives. The Youth Board favours consideration of Option 4 as Decoupling at 17 is at the heart of our ability to provide a comprehensive games programme. The eligibility of 18-year-olds to play both Youth and Adult football impinges on our ability to design a fixture schedule. It would greatly impact on the scheduling of U18 matches. An 18-year-old cannot play two games at the weekend. 

Proposed Under Age Competition Structures 2024:

Go Games 

U13 League 

U14 Special Condensed Competition (For Consideration - to be discussed in developing U13 fixture schedule)

U15 League 

U16 Special Competition (Condensed competition to be developed in consultation with coaching and Games having regard to mid-week availability and the identification of free weekends in terms of Development Squad overlaps)  

U18 League  

U13 Championship 

U14 Regional Competition (currently already in place at year end) 

U15 Championship

U17 Championship (as per current format - increased u16 player participation) 

U19 or U20 Competitions - to be considered and determined following Club's consideration. 

Where any of the age grades outlined above were not included in the information circulated previously, this is because the structure, timing and running of said competitions have yet to be agreed by the Youth Board in consultation with Coaching and Games. 

[\quote]

Someone is telling you porkies.

There was no “clarification” given after the vote. All discussion was before. After the vote, the Gowna rep did put forward a motion for an U13 comp. This was proposed and seconded.

As one delegate raised during the initial discussion, there was very little point in further talk at the meeting anyway because every rep was there with a mandate from their club how to vote so were they to just change that because of a point made by someone on the night?

Re your point in option 4 “so much football for players in it”, I wouldn’t agree. A number of the comps listed state “condensed” beside them. That basically means they could be like the present U20 comp where you have 3/4 games run off in the depths of Winter. Should a juvenile player have the possibility of only 3 or 4 competitive games a year? Most presently get 7/8 League games and at least 3/4 championship games.

There is also the issue I raised previously re U18 League but U17 championship. As a delegate raised when all options were discussed prior to the vote, you are simply kicking the issue backwards because 15 & 16 year olds would get very little football unless they are outstanding players.

It is also very difficult to run teams across trainers etc for all these different age groupings.

Sometimes when you try to balance between too many stools, you fall flat on your face.

I was at the meeting, after votes were cast Martin Cahill clarified things on option 4. Surely should have been done before hand. And of course they're condensed, see how many competitions were proposed.

• Advertisement

I was at the meeting also, I don’t remember any clarification. What clarification did he give ?

Brian Seagrave spoke in support of Option 4 and the Gowna lads aren’t shy if they felt anything further needed to be added.

As already advised, clubs attending had mandates from their coaches/members so the work had to be done prior to the meeting.

Yes, and condensed competitions are useless. You’ll do well to find anyone who praises the current U20 competition.

Gearoid gone back to Swad and retiring from intercounty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭celt262

Which one of ye were sleeping/dreaming at the meeting 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Are you stating that as a known fact or are you cutting and pasting from a lad on Facebook that you've slagged off here?

Bear in mind you did state a few lads had retired only for them to pop up at the launch of the new jersey a few days later....

I heard around the time of the Cavan Gaels v Kingscourt game in the championship that he was leaving the Gaels. He'll be 34 next year but would give Swad a lift in the Junior Championship. One or 2 stand out players make a big difference at that level.

• Advertisement

Everyone has heard plenty of rumours. Everyone knows he had a big knee operation in the summer. I don't think the final county decision has been reached yet.

I don't know anything about the County situation. I remember when he did to move to Cavan Gaels hearing he intended to go back to Swad, to finish his career.

The transfer is up on on the listed transfers.

I don’t remember slagging off Mr Tynan, are you mixing me up with someone else?

Whose the “few lads” I said retired that popped up at a jersey launch?

You remember my posts better than I do! Thanks for taking such good notice.

I also said I heard Killian Clarke was going to the Gaels, which I did, but sure you can’t get all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

When are the national league fixtures out?

I know the 1st 2 are set but the rest I was wondering about

We Are Cavan had them. The provisional ones are set and don’t really change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Thanks

For a lad that spends a fair bit of his time on here sealioning other posters demanding answers, it's a shame you don't keep track of your own posts.

I suppose if you did, you might have to remain consistent.

Football is full of opinions and they can change. For example, I thought Mickey Graham was a superb appointment in December 2020. Three years later, I am of a different opinion. Hindsight is a great thing.

Can you post link to the Cavan GAA transfer list please ?

• Advertisement

They aren’t online. The county board send out a spreadsheet list to club officers.

Ok can you fire up a print screen of it then please. Thanks

I suggest if you want a copy you contact your club or the county board.

Why if you have the list put it up. I don't think it exists that's why i want you to do it.

Transfers are up on gaa website.

Yes you have been caught out lieing transfers between clubs don't happen in November it's only possible in the new year for a period.

Transfers possible at any stage. The portal always open.

• Advertisement

Sky may bring back Jim White and announce the transfer in the January deadline day.

Advertisement