Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭rrs

The Minor game was really poor. Mullahoran never got going in the first half and some terrible shooting. Cavan Gaels played some good fast in spells with Shehu very good. Gaels were poor in second half and only got 2 pts.

Joshua Shehu has another year as Minor so a good prospect. Man of the match today and in Gerry Reilly final against Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

You’d have to question at this point how reliable is Conor Brady? He’s another who I think should be in Cavan’s starting 15 regularly but he is probably missing more games at this stage than he is available for.

Gowna with alot of good young players but then I did hear someone remark today it helps that the head of coaching is from their club so any halfway decent young player from the club is catapulted onto development panels.

One area Gowna aren't that strong is in goals. Bannon does the job but his kickouts are very average. Hoofs it more then picking out a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Even though it ended being a massacre, the senior final was probably the most enjoyable of the three county finals as a neutral. Some serious scores from both sides, especially in the first half. I thought Kingscourt were still in it, but that third goal from Pierson knocked the stuffing out of them. Up to that they looked like they might be able to compete, with savage scores of their own (Barry Reilly's two scores were worth the admission alone, lovely points from Dillon and Faulkner).

It says an awful lot about Gowna that Conor Brady going off so early didn't remotely limit them. Great to see Pierson coming back to fitness, he's had a rough time of it, but credit to him he stuck at it. He's only 23 and seems like he's been about forever.

The amount of talented footballers Gowna have produced recently has to be lauded. Would love to see Conor Casey come back into county football. When he's on song, he's lovely to watch. Sean Hartin also looks impressive. That's before going through the list of young players who have been performing all year. Ryan Brady rightly man of the match- what a game he had.

My laptop died over the summer and not only did i need to get a replacement, it meant having to re-set passwords and the like so i wasn't online for ages. No harm there either!

Barring the junior final, i saw no junior games this year so I can't comment on it. With Arva going up and an aging Belturbet going down, has the junior championship finally levelled off?

Intermediate- saw a fair few games. Ballyhaise not only the best team I saw, they easily dominated teams for sheer physicality for intermediate. You would have to think they would be a good bet to stay in senior next year. Was very surprised with Killinkere in the semi final and given how poor Cucus and Cootehill were, they could be a team to watch next year.

Senior didn't really catch fire until the semis. Whilst Gowna have sent down a marker with that final win, we definitely have a group of teams that look nailed on to walk out of group in Gowna, the Lough, Killygarry, Ramor and Kingscourt. Laragh definitely have potential to move into that bracket and should have taken their chances against Ramor.

In terms of Ulster, you would have to back Arva to try and go the whole way. Ballyhaise have Downings who Denn disposed off in the junior final a few years ago. Big test for Gowna in Naomh Conaill, not only in terms of their consistency at county level but in terms of a ridiculously well-drilled blanket defence. Would love to see all Cavan teams put a dent in the club championships.

• Advertisement

Arva have a tough game away in Derry. Ballymaguigan were undefeated in the League and cruised through the championship. Tomas Brady seems to be a key player for them, whether he has Cavan connections. Still ,it would be disappointing if Arva went out early with the quality of players they have.

,13836b3a6da1&psq=tomas+brady+ballymaguigan&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubXNuLmNvbS9lbi11cy9zcG9ydHMvb3RoZXIvYnJhZHktbGVhZHMtdGhlLWNoYXJnZS1hcy1iYWxseW1hZ3VpZ2FuLXRha2UtZGVycnktanVuaW9yLXRpdGxlL2FyLUFBMWlFR29M&ntb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Jaysus,I was told by a Lacken Clubman that Andre Quinn is back involved with the county, whether that's true or not I don't know. I had heard the same that Cavan King did but also heard that there was a U-turn, not sure what to believe now!!

I hope Conor Brady can get his injury issues under control, he has been really struggling this year, he wasn't moving at all right against Crosserlough, I watched the final on Cavstream so didn't really see what happened him.

Gowna will need him at full tilt I'd they are to progress in Ulster... and unfortunately if it's the hamstring again,he's unlikely to play much part..

Gowna will definitely have to work on their slow starts though 5-0 against Crosserlough and 6-2 against Kingscourt, Naomh Conal wont be as accomodating.

Anyone hear of any new lads called up to the provisional county panel? Or anyone ye expect to be called up..

Mark Wilson of Lacken and Matthew Smith of Ramor( although I think he's injured??) would be two call ups I reckon.. I see Thomas Edward Donohoe is back in too.

Post edited by Hammar on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭celt262

I don't think Quinn was ever to far away there he would have got other employment by now if he wanted.

Not sure about TED on the county panel i think he lacks some pace and power.

The only names I've heard are Eoin Clarke and TED. Both of them confirmed via WAC and the Celt.

Clarke was outstanding any time I've seen him. He did a great job at full back but can't see him doing that role at intercounty (yet). He's very quick and powerful, but has a brilliant range of long kick passing off either foot.

I would like to see Emanuel Shehu in for a run. He was outstanding for the Gaels in the game I saw. Credit to Jason for moving him to half back where he is far more effective. Granted that is the line where we are (in theory) very competitive.

Conor Brady has had a rough time of it with injuries. He missed most of 2020 and a good part of this year. I think it was a knee injury that forced him off in the first league game this year against Westmeath and it looked like a knee injury on Sunday but in fairness I'm not 100% on that. He's still young and a class player at club level- still not proven at inter county but the talent is there.

For me, midfield is the area we really need to look at. I'm assuming Galligan will try his best to talk back in James Smith. Last year we had Clarke in the middle with one of the following for bits and pieces in different league & championship games: Conor Brady, Enda Maguire, David Brady, Ryan Donohoe, James Smith, Gearoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭mogue77

Ryan and cormac brady surly have to be called up, Matthew smith and darragh Lovett still u20 but will hopefully be part of the senior panel also, Matthew McGee and brian O’Connell from ramor and Ballyhaise goalkeeper fergal Orourke would also be good call ups also in my opinion, caolain mccabe denn, paddy Meade kingscourt.

• Advertisement

McCabe from Denn and Gary O'Rourke from Ballyhaise were on the panel last year. Meade was on it in 2019 i think but was injured for a good part of 2020 or 2021. You could call up a rake of the younger Gowna lads!

If Ramor players are invited in, will they go in though? Barring Brady and Maguire they've not tended to go in when asked. I remember Corey making that point on Cavstream when Ramor were playing that he said "believe me, we've asked them". I could be open to correction but I think only McEvoy in 2020/21 was in for a while and then Brian O Connell played against Tyrone in the 2021 championship. Given the talent that Ramor have, they've not been core to the county panel in the way the Lough, Gowna and Killygarry have.

3 Poor County finals. The overall standard was very average in the championship. Ramor v Kingscourt in the Semi final was a terrible game. Kingscourt v Cavan Gaels in the quarters was low quality. Crosserlough hammered Ballinagh. Denn v Shercock semi was poor.

I don't think there was that many players standing out that haven't already been on a County panel. Tristan Hoffman should benefit from being with the County panel this year and push on next year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

That's a complete shitshow then

Teams will be starting training in the next number of weeks with individual programmes and we have no one in place to oversee that.

Unfortunately, I expect the whole lot to be a complete shitshow. We have a novice manager and it’s at the wrong stage of their careers for a lot of our players.

Teams have already started. Armagh barely stopped.

Meade was playing for the county in 2020 before Covid. He got a red card against Westmeath in the second league game in Breffni.

I think he got a bad injury in the following club championship then.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

Jimmy Higgins stepped down as Crosserlough manager. Any other changes yet

Jimmy gave his all but, like Cavan, it’s time those lads heard a new voice. Brought them as far as he can and fair play to him.

Cuchulainns have, surprisingly, opted to keep Fintan Cahill.

Would Keoghan take the Crosserlough job or would they approach him?

Cahill got Cuchulainns promotes but a very poor championship. Won't be any easier next year with Lacken and Arva involved.

Be looking at bigger fish. Jim Gavin been approached.

I see P Faulkner got a Tailteann All Star. Would he have been our best player in it? I don’t particularly remember the games now. It would be hard to argue any lad did poorly against Offaly for example when we absolutely blitzed them.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping that when we go through Ray's extensive backroom team that Cavan_King isn't in there as a motivational speaker :)

Faulkner is a warrior and one of my favourite players. He was really good in the league for us, including MOTM in the league final putting the shackles on Kelm.

We had four games in Tailteann last year and I don't remember him being our best player in any of them. Got caught out in the Laois game for a goal. Defence was ridiculously exposed against London (that wasn't on him) and he came off with a twisted ankle. Offaly the back line was exposed again, but that wasn't on him and he definitely did have a good game (Boylan was man of the match that day). Down game? I seem to have completely wiped that from my memory...

Faulkner must have got it on reputation as an All Star, his performances were very average in Tailtean Cup. None of the Cavan players deserved one

Draft fixtures of the National League released. Cavan playing Kilda in the first game. It's likely to be in Croke Park with newbridge being redeveloped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Where did u see that

It's in today's Indo by Colm Keys.

Will it be before a Div 1 game? They’re unlikely to put two Div 2 teams in Croke Park on their own.

A Saturday afternoon/evening game would be nice.

It will likely be on before Dublin v Monaghan Division 1 match. Saturday evening.

Sounds good. Our lads need all the experience of playing in Croke Park they can get.

We’ve a dreadful record against Kildare unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Redser57

Second league game is against Donegal in Breffni I heard

Advertisement