Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭mylestheslasher

It's a fair point, I can only answer for myself and say I'm 15 yrs in a different county and my kids play in a club there and that's where my club focus is. So I'm at no club games in Cavan to comment on them. I do well to get to the majority of county games but with driving kids here, there and everywhere to their own sports even that's becoming very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Similar situation as yourself but the rest of the lads don't paint a picture of club football in cavan to entice us back to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭rrs

For all the hype about Crosserlough, just 1 senior championship in recent times. And even then ,Kingscourt had the chance to win that drawn game in 2020.

Gowna impressed after a slow start. Ryan Donahoe kicked some great scores. Cian and Tiernan Madden are excellent players

Watched it on Cavstream. One team were really hungry for it and one wasn't. Paddy Lynch and Mcvitty really tried to carry the lough but there wasn't much of a supporting cast. Ryan Donohoe was immense I thought and Cian and Tiernan Madden brilliant. Pierson worked extremely hard. Lough would have to be bitterly disappointed with that display.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Ryan O Donohoe was head and shoulders the best player on the field... brilliant performance.

Cian and Tiernan Madden had their usual quality games,which we expect from them for club and county.

Gowna are a very slick, athletic and well coached team.

Only area they can be got at in my opinion is the full back line, they might struggle with Morris and Dillon in there,

Paddy Lynch was prominent,but Crosserlough struggled to get good ball into him after the first 15/20 minutes.

Dara McVeety didn't seem to be fit to me, he didn't influence the game like he usually does, he made very few bursts from the half back line.

Miller was a huge loss, with him not starting,

Stephen Smith was very good early on,but like the rest of their key forwards,were starved of quality possession,after the opening period,when they were on fire.

Harry Boylan looks like he is going to be an absolute star for Crosserlough, he had a great battle with Tiernan Madden.

All in all, a good quality game for me,with some outstanding scores from frees and from play, we hear the Cavan championship is **** quality, tonight's match certainly wasn't that.

With regards the referee,

If I were crosserlough I'd be very aggrieved

They were 5-0 up, he gives Gowna two soft frees,which were never frees, right in front of the goals, then Fionn Lovett gets a clear push in the back, Mooney waved play on, Gowna end up with a score, it brought Gowna straight back into the game when they were struggling badly.

• Advertisement

Harry Boylan showed well for Crosserlough without doing much on the score board. Lynch kicked some good scores. He's a bit casual at times,. Nearly needs the perfect pass.

Also thought Ryan Brady showed well, for Gowna very mobile, and strong running player could see him stake a place for the county next year.

Very impressive performance from Gowna,overall especially with two of their main men in Conor Brady and Conor Madden not being as prominent tonight as we have seen them in the past.

Oisin McConnon also worthy of a mention. He done very well for a player who broke into the team earlier in the championship. Keeping Daire Madden a County u20 forward out of the team.

Stephen Smith heading to Australia next year maybe a few others from Crosserlough. They might rue that performance for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

Good value for money there today. Two Senior Semis were a decent watch. Don't have a clue what happened in the Ramor Dressing room at half time. I thought after the replayed final two years ago Ramor had a good blue print. In the first ten minutes of that game they put 1-7 on the scoreboard and haven't really played well since then.

Kingscourt to their credit didn't seem to get out of second gear at all and Took some very good scores and should have had another couple of goals only for poor finishing.

The second game was a good game of football two teams going at it. The Lough are the definition of hype team every year the hype is there but seem to fall flat.

Interesting times ahead, plenty of the Ramor lads now the wrong side 30 a rebuild is on the cards there, Still plenty of young lads coming through so they will be back.

Killigary a young team with another years experience could be dangerous next year, Kingscourt, The Lough and Gowna will be there abouts again.

Ramor seemed to play better football under Ray Cole. They are slow building moving the ball under John Brady. The Semi last year against Killygarry they should have won.

Ado Cole was a big loss. Not much punch in full foward line. Maybe Janes Brady will be back next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Gowna have shown now they are head and shoulders above what’s in the county. Having got the monkey off the back of winning their first county championship in a long time last year, you’d hope they will make a good stab at Ulster this year.

The Senior and Intermediate champions play the Donegal winners in Breffni, weekend 11/12th of November. Junior winners play away to the Derry winners.

Naomh Connail in 7th consecutive Donegal final

There’ll be nothing easy there. Who’ll ever forget the year Rahan couldn’t beat a team had played on the Wednesday night before.

The junior and intermediate finals should be good. Hard games to call. Last year I didn’t expect Drumlane to win the Junior over Arva.

Denn will be no easy task for Ballyhaise. Wily management, decent young players and plenty of scoring power. I know a few people backing them in the bookies as the underdogs.

2 poor enough finals in Junior and Intermediate. Arva and Ballyhaise were deserving winners, but Knockbride and Denn were quite poor.

Tristan Hoffman was very good for Arva. Very athletic and composed on the ball. Johnny McCabe was very good and Bouchier linked the play well.

Ballyhaise a big physical team had too much for Denn. Padraig Moore, O Rourke, 2 Brady's, Tierney, McCormack are all over 6ft. They are capable of doing well in Ulster.

Delighted to get that IFC win.

7 intermediate finals since 2008, only our second win.

Wasn't pretty,was a terrible game with some decent bits of play at times.

Ballyhaise got out of 2nd gear for 10/15 minutes in second half kicking 4/5 in a row to end the contest.

Denn have some quality players in that team but their lack of size hurt them today,struggled against a big Ballyhaise team.

I definitely think Caolan McCabe,Oisin Kiernan and Ted if he keep those hamstrings healthy have something to add to the county scene in the near future.

For ourselves,Aaron Watson,Eoin Clarke,Evan Crowe , Michael Brady and Martin Conaty when he came on, were outstanding.

David Brady,Tierney,Brian O Rourke and Moore showed moments of their class when it mattered.

Hope i don't see Ballyhaise near the intermediate again for a long bloody time.

Ballyhaise play Downings in Ulster. They beat Malin yesterday in the Donegal intermediate final. Johnny McGroddy who featured for Donegal and DCU this year, would be one of their main players.

Denn beat Downings in the Ulster junior final in 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭benjy1000

It’s probably been pre covid since I was below in breffni , I’m making a short trip home this week & plan to head to final on Sunday, what’s the story with tickets?

I downloaded that Cavan gaa app & the club spot yoke but I can’t see any tickets mentioned on the Cavan gaa app.

can u pay at the terrace or is that still done away with? 🙄

Thanks gents

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Well Benjy the tickets should go up on Cavan GAA App at some stage this week. No cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭celt262

Just on that does anyone else thing it's a bit daft to have to need two separate apps for tickets?

It's confusing enough for the older generation.

I heard Gearoid McKiernan could be leaving Cavan Gaels. Presume back to Swad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Handy enough Ulster lined up for us next year

You’d wonder would we be better off in the Tailteann Cup again following exit.

I haven’t seen Andre Quinn’s position advertised yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭mogue77

Why is he leaving?

He has already left. All I’ve heard is rumours why. Nothing has been announced but it was very soon after the Galligan appointment apparently so read into that what you will.

I thought Galligans big sale was he was keeping the band together?

That was some horror draw we got for the Ulster championship. I don't think any team would win Ulster from there to be fair.

Quinn was employed full time by the County board. Cavan were one of the few counties to have someone in that role full time.

Maybe he got another offer in Rugby. That's where he worked mainly

He has no new employment. He is looking for a role at present.

Big win for Gowna, Kingscourt gave them a helping hand conceding some terrible goals from poorly worked kickouts. In the end it was too easy for Gowna who played most of the game without Conor Brady. Hopefully they can give Ulster a rattle.

Gowna had too much pace and power for Kingscourt. They are a young team who could dominate for a few years. The first half was a good contest but then Gowna got 2 quick goals and pulled away. Farrelly had a few poor kickouts and Gowna made it pay. A brilliant first goal by Ryan Brady. He set up the second goal with another strong won. They caused Kingscourt havoc down the wings cutting in, and should have had 2 goals before they got the 1st. Barry Reilly kicked a few outstanding scores in the first half but went off at half time.

Gowna dominated the second half and the game was over with over 20 minutes to go. Tiernan Madden was excellent again. Eoghan Hartin , Conor Madden Conor Casey had big performances too.

They play Naomh Conaill in Ulster. NC are a seasoned team in Ulster but Gowna should be thereabouts. They would have been disappointed on how it went last year in Enniskillen. Breffni surface will better anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭benjy1000

Never seen as bad a bating in a county final before

Advertisement