Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

McVeety would be well able to play inside, but he done well at Centre back. He has been 3 years out of County football ,they should let him get settled in a position then moving him from A to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

The half forward line named is three half backs so unless Dara is going to move up front, you would wonder where scores will come from. You need 16 points to win most games and that is going to be a struggle with the side named.

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear some switches to the starting 15 over the tannoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I think viewing players as being half forwards or half backs is a very narrow minded way of viewing the game. Players are just players, with different skill sets asked to fulfil roles required of them on any given day. Gerry Smith was outstanding at half forward last year, a constant scoring threat and actually won a Tailteann All Star as a forward.

The half backs are all comfortable on the ball playing County football. Gerry Smith adapted well to half forward last year ,but it wasn't that surprising. He has a good skillset and can score off either foot..Oisin Kiernan the same.

James Dolan and Ronan Wallace are quality half backs for Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Consistent in league, big flops in championship and have won nothing. I'd be disappointed if we didnt beat them in ulster. I don't buy the Armagh hype

• Advertisement

Truth be told, Colm Parkinson is correct when he says 5 to 12 are all essentially doing the same thing. That said I think 10 to 12 need to carry a decent scoring threat. Last year in the Tailteann Cup final we saw very few natural forwards start the match and it showed. I’d view tomorrow’s team as similar.

Mickey’s conservative play got us into Division 4 so I don’t see why he is continuing to stick with it. I’m actually watching Armagh here against Monaghan and they move the ball a lot quicker than we do. Unless we try to adapt our slow transition game we’re hanging out head against a brick wall.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

McGeeney is the most overhyped manager of all time. Emperors new clothes. I’m hearing Armagh are coming every year for I don’t know how long. This is their year….come the big day they are gone. Barring last year mugging Donegal after coming down off an Ulster final loss what have they done? Nothing!

If he wasn’t a legend of a player he would have gotten the boot years ago. Plus he has a “profile” (media love him) McGeeney seems to be immune to any criticism. Yet you have clowns on here questioning Graham who got us to back to back Ulster finals.

I see Down (who haven’t won a game in 2 years) are getting the same treatment- Canavan has them on a par with Derry & Armagh. Do me a favour.

McGeeney has been manager since 20,15 and was in the backroom in 2014. They are very patient with McGeeney because of his cult status . The record in Ulster is very poor but the addition of Kieran Donaghy last year seems to have given them a lift. Playing some excellent football.

• Advertisement

Ah here Lemlin; will you stop please. We got relegated to division four for one of the most abject displays a Cavan team put in for about 30 years. It was a disaster- and it wasn’t tactical. Just get off you high horse and if needs be hide out in the Meath thread.

They ended last year ranked 4th in the country going on the ranking stats here which I trust:

Even when we won Ulster we only got as high as sixth so Armagh have had some fairly decent results it is fair to say.

We finished the year ranked 15th so a good bit below them but don’t let the stats based on actual results get in the way of bashing their manager (whom I don’t particularly like myself after the Kildare debacle) and ignoring results like them beating Tyrone in Newry - something we were a mile off only 12 months before.

Another win away against Monaghan just now whereas I unfortunately can’t see us getting points in Mullingar tomorrow if that is the actual team that starts.

The whole issue here is me saying they surpassed us but the stats clearly show they have.

I’m not sure why it seems to have ticked you off but it appears it has, despite the statistical analysis clearly supporting my view.

Perhaps I’m not the one needs to get down off the high horse.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

hauld on Lemlin, let me revisit that. They’ve not even gotten to a final at championship level but they’re the 4th best team in Ireland?

is this one of those XG stats that nerds droll over but has no bearing in real life?

I have some very good friends from Armagh- I know what they would prefer: a big score on the boards online ranking system or getting to (god forbid winning) and Ulster final!!!

Would you rather be 15th in the rankings with an Ulster Final appearance and an Ulster title or 4th with empty pockets and a rep for browning the togs on the big day?

Will you go to the game tomorrow King or just sit at home and watch the rankings?

It’s 2023. Not 2020. I’d prefer to be playing in Division 1 having beaten Tyrone & Donegal in championship last year than languishing in Div 3 worrying about beating Westmeath tomorrow and having lost to Fermanagh, Wicklow, Tipp & Westmeath in the last 24 months.

Posters keep going back to 2019 & 2020, which were great years, but there has been a lot of water under the bridge since then.

The Wicklow game, the only game they won that calendar year I might add, not that we can really talk, we only won one game that year ourselves, was described above as “one of the most abject displays a Cavan team put in for about 30 years” yet are we to ignore it when assessing management because of what went before?

I really don’t see the issue and why some are taking it so to heart that I would see Armagh as a county that are improving whereas Cavan, quite simply, are not.

At the start of 2016 I had hoped Terry Hyland would walk and he stayed and had a good year so hopefully I’m as wrong now as I was then. I won’t be ignoring the results of the last two years though.

I don’t think an Ulster championship would mean as much to them as it did to us. Without checking the stats, they won more in the noughties I’d say than we’ve won since 1970.

And would they prefer to be entering their third year in Division 1 and be playing in the qualifiers, which they had great success in last year, or playing in Division 3 and looking at a Tailteann Cup run?

2020 is the past, it’s 2023 now. You’ve people going back to 2013 to quote stats. Sure add another ten years to that and you might as well go to 2003 and see how we rank against Armagh.

In what really matters, the present, they’re playing games against Kerry, Mayo, Galway & Tyrone in the League, have memories of beating the Dubs in Croke Park last year whereas we got pissed on in a war of attrition in Carrick and get to play the footballing powers of Antrim & Offaly this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭mylestheslasher

What trophy did they get for being ranked 5th?

Let’s make it simple- what have Armagh won that would make their real fans celebrate?

Real fans. Ones that go to games. I am sure there’s been bonfires in Crossmaglen for the boards “4th best team” award.

I think most of us have an idea that’s it’s 2023, which means it’s 15 years since Armagh were in an Ulster final.

Ha ha ha ! Yeah Armagh are knee deep in Ulster titles and they couldn’t care less about them. It’s all boards.ie rankings for them, and the odd run out for the last few years in division one. You’re gas!

please stop. This is embarrassing. There’s not a Gael in Armagh who isn’t dreaming about a win in Ulster.

My initial point;

“I think this is a huge year for Graham. Reaching an Ulster final 2019 and the win in 2020 are distant memories now because teams like Armagh that were behind us have now surpassed us.”

So I’ve acknowledged Armagh were behind us when we won Ulster but I say they’ve surpassed us since. On what basis have they not?

You’re all going back to 2020 but I’ve clearly pointed to the years since where they have been operating in Division 1, while we were being relegated, and where they beat Donegal and Tyrone in championship and we couldn’t, so what exactly is the huge issue here lads?

Armagh since 2020 have been operating at a higher level than us. I don’t see what the issue is with stating that to be honest.

• Advertisement

It's about the here and now. Armagh have another year of Division 1 which will be be a big help going into a likely meeting with Cavan in Breffni.

Let’s look at the facts, post 2020 as you said:

Armagh beat Antrim in 2021- WOW!!!

Armagh lost heavily to Donegal .

are we missing something about the mighty orchard county?

Lemlin, it’s time to head back to the Meath forum.

They’ll also have better funding and more exposure for commercial & promotional activities, according to our own county board, from being in Division 1 this year, but sure none of that matters according to the lads here.

I’d much rather be playing Westmeath, Tipp & Offaly and get 5 lines in the paper than Galway, Kerry & Mayo and possibly be on a Saturday or Sunday game on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

How much longer are we going to use as 2020 as an excuse for everything. In their last meaningful match Armagh were a kick of a ball from reaching an All Ireland semi final while we were crapping the bed against Westmeath. Things may be different this summer but at the moment we have a lot of improving to do imo. Down and Fermanagh off to good starts tonight, Division 3 isn’t going to be easy.

Armagh retained their position in Division 1 in 2021 whereas we played the footballing prowess of Longford, Fermanagh & Wicklow and managed to win one of those three games.

You’re missing entering a third successive year in Division 1 (we never managed more than one) and beating Tyrone & Donegal in the championship last year.

They also reached an All Ireland QF. Something we didn’t and will find very difficult, until we get promoted, to do.

Is there any reason that you are trying to totally ignore League football when it has never been more important as it now decides which competition teams enter?

You’re taking this as a real hill to die on but I really can’t see why one simple point has annoyed you so much. If you disagree, you disagree, I’ve given the reasoning behind my point and, I’d suggest you go to any neutral thread on this forum and ask which team people would rate higher in the present, Cavan or Armagh, and I think we both know what answer you’d get. Sure try the Meath one, you seem obsessed with the fact I post on it from time to time.

Mickey Graham is a far superior manager to McGeeney. We can all agree on that much surely??

Now, now, don’t be worrying about the present. You should be concentrating on how Down & Fermanagh performed in 2019 & 2020. Hop in our De Loreans lads, we’re ignoring the **** we’re in and going back to the good times.

Should we lose to Westmeath tomorrow, just stick on a podcast from 2020 and bury your head in the sand on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

Course he is 3 relegations in 3 years not many managers have that on the CV !

We're in the ****? Jesus man the league hasn't even started, it's still January. We beat the 4th best team in Ireland, comfortably, a few short weeks ago. Chill out, enjoy the ups and downs.

• Advertisement

I’d see Division 3 when Louth, Limerick and a poor Meath team are in the Division above us as the “****” alright.

Off The Ball actually put Armagh at 4th in their present power rankings too. Not sure how they collate it though. Feel free to go and argue the point with them. You can regale them with tales of how Cavan beat Armagh in a replay 4 years ago so that obviously means we are a better team now.

You might be best off not ignore that Armagh changed nearly their entire team at half time in that McKenna Cup game, like you’re trying to totally ignore Mickey Graham’s performance in the last two seasons.

I don’t think I need to “chill out” either, I wasn’t one of the lads losing the head when it was pointed out that a team consistently in Division 1 are surpassing a team sitting in Division 3.

You’d nearly swear the League was a ranking tool to position teams based on their performance.

Advertisement