Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Looking forward to the game now.. Hopefully we can get a good result and a little payback for the tailteann Cup final

It seems like a long time ago since we played westmeath in mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I like that line-out but imagine we won't be close to that for Sunday. Celt is saying that Gearoid, Paddy Lynch, the Gunner, Jason and James Smith all unlikely to feature. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two were named to start but just before throw-in, changes announced over the PA😊

With no idea of who is fit, but based on the Celt and performances in the McKenna, here's what i am going for:

Ray, Finnegan, Faulkner, Carolan, Tiarnan Madden, McVeety, Holla, Conor Brady, Clarke, Kiernan, Gerry Smith, Boylan, Martin Reilly, O'Neill and Oisin Brady.

We're very light up front, so can definitely see Martin Reilly starting and if say Jason was fit (or Cian Reilly) to do a man marking job on O'Toole, McVeety inside the full forward line to cause some damage. The other option would be to put Conor Brady at centre half back and stick Maguire in at midfield, or move Oisin Kiernan back to half back and start David Brady or Cian Madden.

And regardless of personnel, we need to get stuck into this game from the start. We owe them for last year.

Post edited by baconsarnie on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I can’t see Graham going that inexperienced even with the injuries.

I think we’re in trouble with the personnel missing. I’m certainly hoping Dara Mc jogs into the full forward or at least half forward line at the start.

We seem to regularly be missing players now through injury and it’s been a factor since the start of 2021. You’d wonder what changed that so many players seem injury prone.

James Smith, for example, is missing an awful lot of time. Like Thomas Galligan before him, he’s a player we don’t have more than we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I think that's a fairly likely line up if the lads are indeed missing. I don't think Mickey will risk key players at this stage, it's still January after all, even if this is a game we'd love to win. Lots of experience to carry the newer lads.

James misses more than half of Cavan's games? That's very surprising. How many games did he miss last out of the 13 league and Championship games we played last year?

Given the demands placed on modern inter-county players, I wouldn't have thought Cavan were any worse off or more immune to injury than any other county (certainly not over the last 5-10 years). Listening to the We Are Cavan podcast, it sounds like Offaly are missing an entire panel through injury, travel and lads not committing. In fact the point made a lot by people has been the relatively low turnover of players dropping off the panel. There's always going to be bad luck that no team can predict or manage. Look at the league game against Longford in 2021- Holla (cruciate) and James Smith (that awful neck injury).

Last year when we went into our biggest game of the year, we had our full panel to play with , albeit three players coming off the bench (Holla, Kiernan, Martin Reilly) were coming off medium to long-term injuries.

Are some players more prone to injury because of their physique or way that they play? Explosive sprinters tend to suffer repeatedly from hamstrings and players like Thomas Galligan and James Smith are such powerhouses they are willing to plough through tackles that others couldn't, but in return their ferocity and bravery means that they are more likely to pick up knocks I assume.

I assume Cavan_King will know more, but i was at a Lough game (Vs Gaels, first round of the championship) last year and James Smith had started the last two games clear and spoke to someone from his family- they said the advice from the club was to rest him for a few games, but that Smith was adamant he wanted to play. You've got to love that enthusiasm but sadly he picked up a bad blow that day and that more or less ruled him out of the championship (it was clear he wasn't remotely fit for the game against Gowna).

• Advertisement

I'm too lazy to look today, but i don't think Galligan or Smith missed that many games last year (and we had plenty of intercounty football matches). Galligan missed the league game in Sligo due to suspension and Smith missed a huge chunk of football from 2021 onwards into the start of 2022 but once he was back in he stayed fit as far as i can remember.

I think you're right Keep the Faith. Division three is going to be a dogfight, and even the less fancied teams (Fermanagh, Tipp) are more than capable of tripping up anyone so it's not do or die for Cavan yet. Hardly any sense starting say Paddy Lynch half fit and derail his recovery. Westmeath are a strong side but we have a lot of talent regardless of who we are missing and with the right attitude from the get go we can get a result. Surely we won't lack for motivation. I think that is what hurt from the Tailteann Final was how passive we were for long periods, hopefully we settle a score on Sunday.

I have been reliably informed that James Smith started every single League and Championship game last year and given that we got to a league final and had 6 Championship games, he likely played more minutes in a Cavan jersey in a single year than most Cavan players in history. Maybe Cavan King was mistaking him for someone else.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Ryan O'Neill gets on if he starts on Sunday. I thought he looked very sharp against Tyrone. He obviously needs to make it tell on the scoreboard but his pace and ability to win ball out in front could be a real weapon if we get the men coming off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I see a few lads listing Faulkner and Conor Brady at midfield in James Smith's absence,

My own personal opinion is that despite both being quality IC footballers, i don't think that either are tall enough for IC Midfield, Very few of the better teams in this day and age, have any lads less than 6'2 or 6'3 in there. Id prefer one of David Brady /Enda Maguire/Brian O Rourke/Ryan Donohoe, get the nod to partner Killian Clarke until James Smith is fit to return, although I'm definitely biased there, as I've named 2 Ballyhaise men.

One thing id love to see over these first few games is Conor Moynagh returning to 2019 form,All star nominee form, He's such an asset when he's at his best, and he didn't hit those levels last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭rrs

Maguire would probably be the most likely of those 4. O Rourke and Brady were used as forwards in the McKenna Cup. O Rourke done well and could be an option to start in the full forward line.

• Advertisement

Maguire would be a good call and David Brady on the 40 to move into midfield for kick outs. I think O Rourke is going to get game time in the league but I don't think he has the engine for senior intercounty midfield. Very handy as a target inside though, and wouldn't be surprised to see him thrown in at some stage on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭celt262

I don't think Faulkner should be full back i would have Clarke there but Mickey likely keep him full back anyway. Maguire will probably start midfield.

I wouldn't have Moynagh near the team tbh he is slow on the ball and gives away stupid possession with silly passes.

O’Rourke made some very good catches when he came out the field at the end of the Tyrone game. He’s a man you could throw on or bring out the pitch if you were having a sticky 20 minutes.

Westmeath may go short though as Cavan are a big team so all this talk of big men needed at midfield may be pointless.

With experienced forwards like McKiernan & Lynch missing, could Conor Madden return from the cold? Is Oisin Pierson around the panel or injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭celt262

There is absolutely no doubt of Madden's talent and he did get minutes in the McKenna cup as well. If he was firing, he's as good as we have. That's a considerable IF based on his brief cameos last year at county level, and his form for Gowna was patchy at best in the championship. I know he's had a lot of injuries and if they cleared up he could be magic. But...

Has Conor Smith been mentioned? As far as I know Pierson isn't in, he was just back with Gowna after missing almost a year.

I'm going to go against the grain here and doubt his talent. Pulling off a few spectacular moments over the course of a few years doesn't mean he's an extremely talented player as a whole. He's had some big moments for Cavan but for every big moment he's had, there's been 20 poorly selected shots, spilling of possession etc. Madden isn't accurate enough or anywhere nearly consistent enough to play a starting role for Cavan. I admire Madden's resilience and confidence and he's given us arguably the two single best moments as Cavan fans this generation but it's time to move on from hoping he will gain the necessary consistency to be a top inside forward.

Conor Smith is with the squad but having the usual injury problems.

Madden is inconsistent but still worth having on the panel ,as there isn't lots of alternatives.

Cormac Reilly, Caoimhin Reilly and TED opted off the panel or were let go from last year Squad. I'd have Madden over any of those.

Ryan O Neill capable of winning ball ,but hasn't looked like a scoring forward,yet anyway. He took the goal against Armagh but it was handed to him on a plate. Probably unlucky against Tyrone that he didn't win a few frees. Referee must have though he played for the free.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mylestheslasher

I think we will be highly motivated and win on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Given our recent history in the League, i won’t be getting too excited just yet. We need to find a couple of scoring forwards from somewhere, it’s something we lack.

• Advertisement

We Are Cavan & the Celt are still running with the line that we need to decide where this team are as a group - are they the talented bunch that won Ulster in 2020 or a team that had three successive relegations?

Have the lads forgot they said the Tailteann Cup Final would decide that? The question was unfortunately answered in Croke Park last July IMO.

I think this is a huge year for Graham. Reaching an Ulster final 2019 and the win in 2020 are distant memories now because teams like Armagh that were behind us have now surpassed us.

We’ve had two poor years in 2021, an unmitigated disaster, & 2022, a year where the Tailteann Cup run was largely enjoyable but the last two matches left a poor taste in the mouth. The best that can be said about the League is that we got through it.

We can only hope now that we don’t see a League campaign which shows that Longford & Down are another two teams that have moved ahead of us with Westmeath.

Mickey needs to drop the passive laboured approach and start to move the ball quickly. Going on the McKenna Cup, I don’t have much faith that is going to happen.

.5 managers in Division 3 are in their first year.

Mickey Graham is the most experienced manager in the Division ,and that needs to show in results and consistent performances. They have some injuries, but every team will get injuries in the League campaign.

Liam Kerins has more intercounty experience.

Andy McEntee has just as much experience, if not more. Has won a club All Ireland.

Conor Laverty is a development officer in Trinity so his full time job is Gaelic football.

I do sometimes wonder is Mickey a bit behind the time in tactics and are we still operating from tactics a few years back whereas other teams have moved into a quick counter attack.

I remember going to Terry Hyland’s first game in sole charge in the McKenna Cup against Down in 2013. I thought that day we were too slow on the attack. It’s terrible to think that it’s now a decade since that game and I still feel the same.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

I was referring to more experience in the job in hand. Kearns managed Tipperary and Limerick before and done well. But still very early stages in the Offaly Job and a few seasoned players retired since last year. Johnny Maloney and Niall McNamee.

A lot of Antrim players are not committing this year. It was a strange decision for Mentee to go Antrim.

Laverty obviously a Down man and managed Down U20s when they won Ulster 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Have Armagh passed us? I don't buy that. Haven't even made an ulster final. Most over hyped team in Ireland and while they are decent I don't fear them in Breffni this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

Going by last years form in the League and Championship who performed better? They stayed in Division 1 and pushed Galway all the way in Croke park while we couldn’t beat Westmeath. This summer will tell the tale for sure.

Team named for tomorrow- I was close! Jason listed to start, Lynch named on the bench.

They’ve beaten Tyrone in Championship which is something we can’t do! They’re now entering their third year in Div 1. We never managed more than one.

We’re languishing in Div 3 and in the last couple of years we have lost to Fermanagh, Wicklow, Tipp & Westmeath.

Armagh have brought a consistency to their performances that we haven’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭mogue77

I wonder will Jason go centre back and Oisin brady go wing forward and allow dara into the full forward line?

• Advertisement

Jason will surely pick up O'Toole but I think Dara will stay at center back unless we begin to trail and can't penetrate up front.

With that line up (well predicted baconsarnie) tomorrow is a day to roll up the sleeves and slog out a 10-9 win if we can.

Advertisement