Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Cavan_King wrote: »
    1. It wasn’t expected we’d have two home qualifiers and the first round of the championship was away.

2. The novelty of a trip to Croker for the fans. We’ve played there twice (both 2013) since 1997 in the championship.

Fair enough. Does not show much faith in the county team all the same. If the do reach the 8s they will have a home game.

I honestly fail to see the "novelty" value of a game against a team that has brilliant record in Croke Park as opposed to having them in front of a packed Brewster or Clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

Was Fergal Logan approached? Or Joe Kernan? Canavan or Pete McGrath? McEntee was approached too late because he was working with Mayo. Cavan should have went for him a few years back.

Do you honestly think Mattie is the best we could get seeing as we’d just won a multitude of underage titles and were going into Division 1?

Fergal Logan was manager of Tyrone U21s that won the All Ireland. Never managed a Senior County team.Joe Kernan wouldn't manage another Ulster County, and recently stated he is finished in management
    Pete McGrath peaked a few years ago with Fermanagh . His last year and this year with Louth haven been pooor.

Canavan was a disater with Fermanagh . They fouled more then they played football, and didnt win a Championship or qualifier game under him.

If there was better then McGleenan they would have made themselves available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Cavan County Board had given the GAA alternatives venues for the game on sunday but then the GAA invited them up to be part of a double header and CCC accepted the invite....Thats what Marty Morrisey said on 1 o clock news.

How could the GAA offer a double header in CP,when KIL had refused to play there,Brewster Park would hold all that will go to CAV-TYR game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Giggernaut wrote: »
    With the 10 suspensions for the Ulster U20 game, anyone reckon McKiernan and others will be lucky to escape retrospective bans?:(

What did McKiernan do.......i seen him holding off a lad who was trying (and failing) to hit him....he may have done more but i didnt see.

From what I heard McVeety just shoved a lad who had just hit McKiernan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Fair enough. Does not show much faith in the county team all the same. If the do reach the 8s they will have a home game.

I honestly fail to see the "novelty" value of a game against a team that has brilliant record in Croke Park as opposed to having them in front of a packed Brewster or Clones.

I doubt they did have much faith and I wouldn’t blame them. A number of players won’t play for the team.

What part of this being our third game in Croke Park in 21 years do you fail to see the novelty of? We’ve taken plenty of beatings off Tyrone in Ulster grounds over the years. Might as well get a novelty trip to Croke Park out of it this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I doubt they did have much faith and I wouldn’t blame them. A number of players won’t play for the team.

What part of this being our third game in Croke Park in 21 years do you fail to see the novelty of? We’ve taken plenty of beatings off Tyrone in Ulster grounds over the years. Might as well get a novelty trip to Croke Park out of it this time.

Fair enough. Pretty pessimistic ambition all the same for a team that has been promoted to division I.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Fair enough. Pretty pessimistic ambition all the same for a team that has been promoted to division I.

Realistic unfortunately.....the manager hasnt a clue.....jumping from an attacking setup to a 15 man blanket after a hiding from Donegal.......the luck we had in winning games this year has been insane......Down twice, lucky to get a draw in Clare, Tipp at home

If McGleenan is in charge next year, look forward to a humiliating demotion from Div 1, will more lads dropping off from the current squad

So its back to brewsterfor 5 oclock on sat,GAA in common sense shocker:eek::eek:

Brewster park is a tight pitch.Whatever about the' novelty' Tyrone would hammer Cavan on a big wide pitch,.

They played 6 or 7 times including u21 in croker since 2011, not that novel

rrs wrote: »
    Brewster park is a tight pitch.Whatever about the' novelty' Tyrone would hammer Cavan on a big wide pitch,.

They played 6 or 7 times including u21 in croker since 2011, not that novel

They’ll hammer us wherever we play unfortunately.

We’re a better team than Meath who gave Tyrone a shock so McGleenan should have out a tape of that game this week but he’s a clown and is probably concentrating on 4/5 sweepers.

• Advertisement

The Meath game was probably the kick in the h0le that Tyrone needed to be fair.

Not giving us any chance on Sat......Handicap is 5 points....unfortunately I suspect Tyrone will cover that easily.

Any word on McVeety or Moynagh appealing suspensions?

Any word on McVeety or Moynagh appealing suspensions?

Hearing is tonight I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Red cards rescinded

Red cards rescinded

Croke Park had to give us something after the ticket debacle.

Red cards rescinded

From The Sunday Game video, there was nothing I could see re Moynagh, and as for McVeety, it showed him pulling a fella away by the jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

From The Sunday Game video, there was nothing I could see re Moynagh, and as for McVeety, it showed him pulling a fella away by the jersey

Tbh, I only watched it once online (and once in real time!) so I didn't really get a sense of who did what. It looked like a whole lot of pushing, shoving and grabbing and I never went back on it again to see what (if any) actual punches were thrown. Great that we have them available for tomorrow, but if we set up again the way we have lately, I hate to say it, but it'll make feck all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I think its the 1st championship game in years that I've been dreading

I'm fearful of an annihilation and its not that tyrone are that good either

Lets hope our lads throw caution to the wind and try to play football

Come on lads surprise us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Ok well it wasn't the rout that i expected but that wasn't down to us it was down to how poor tyrone are!

Some of our play in the first half was downright embarrassing

Again a lucky goal kept us in it

I'm sure there are positives to take out of it but at the minute I'm just disappointed at our performance and tactical ignorance

Awful stuff by Cavan in first half after a decent opening 15 minutes. Cavan slow as a snail to attack while Tyrone ran more direct with pace. Cavan improved a bit in the second half, a lucky goal broght the score more closer, though Tyrone probaly could had 2 goals. One ball was fumbled ,and a great block on the shot by Burns.

That muppet McCarron is always rowing when Tyrone play Cavan. Brady didn't seem to do much, it was McCarron acting the hard man.

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Ok well it wasn't the rout that i expected but that wasn't down to us it was down to how poor tyrone are!

I'm sure there are positives to take out of it but at the minute I'm just disappointed at our performance and tactical ignorance

Our slow ponderous play and the amount of times we carried the ball into the tackle was ridiculous.

Jim McGuinness hit the nail on he head before the game when he said our lads just don’t have the heart to push on to a win over a top team.

That said, some of the management decisions were baffling - Faulkner not starting, Caoimhin getting 8 minutes, bringing Ado Cole on but not putting the ball into him anyway, taking Mackey off and then back on for 8 minutes at the end, starting Clarke when he obviously wasn’t right. I’m sure there are more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Mattie is out of his depth here. The Ultra defensive tactic only works with a fast counter attack. We let Tyrone set their defense with handballing and kicking backwards.

We have the spine of a good team there. New manager with a track record of attacking football. The Ramor manager has inter county experience and likes to play attacking football.

Couldn't get over the poor attendance that may give the county board the push they need to freshen things up. I fear for Cavan in division one next year if this ****e continues

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

piplip87 wrote: »
    Mattie is out of his depth here. The Ultra defensive tactic only works with a fast counter attack. We let Tyrone set their defense with handballing and kicking backwards.

We have the spine of a good team there. New manager with a track record of attacking football. The Ramor manager has inter county experience and likes to play attacking football.

Couldn't get over the poor attendance that may give the county board the push they need to freshen things up. I fear for Cavan in division one next year if this ****e continues

Not the Ramor lad anyway. Ask people from Virginia about him.

Another year of Mattie McGleenan won't entice the missing players back. He will be there, as promotion will have earned him a crack at Division 1.
    Something ain't right as the whole backroom team from last year left, bar Lorcan Martin from Tyrone.. the only one he listens to it seems.

Cavan conceded 4 -16 in the League final and had no defensive set up for the Donegal game. Then after the Donegal game they go with the defensive plan in Wicklow.

There will be a few tanking in Division 1 next year. The standard of teams in Division 2 next year , Kildare, Donegal, Armagh, stronger then what was there this year. He got lucky that it was a weak Division 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Not the Ramor lad anyway. Ask people from Virginia about him.

cavan deserve a far better manager then him , he did well to a degree in clare but no ,....i would recommend banty from monaghan ahead of him :rolleyes:

rrs wrote: »
    Another year of Mattie McGleenan won't entice the missing players back. He will be there, as promotion will have earned him a crack at Division 1.
    Something ain't right as the whole backroom team from last year left, bar Lorcan Martin from Tyrone.. the only one he listens to it seems.

Cavan conceded 4 -16 in the League final and had no defensive set up for the Donegal game. Then after the Donegal game they go with the defensive plan in Wicklow.

There will be a few tanking in Division 1 next year. The standard of teams in Division 2 next year , Kildare, Donegal, Armagh, stronger then what was there this year. He got lucky that it was a weak Division 2.

To go with a defensive set up against a poor division 4 team. Madness. Just shows doesn't plan for opposition and makes it up as he goes along.

cavan4sam wrote: »

Positives for me are that many of their scores came from silly turnovers that with a little bit of proper coaching, can be improved upon relatively quickly.

Another is that I expected us to lose by 8-10 not 3.

I also thought young Bradley added urgency when he played the link man role late on......why Seanie had that job, I will never know....a slow paced attack got slower when he got on the ball......we did break at pace a few times and got scores, and surprise surprise, Seanie wasnt involved.

Seanie should be an impact sub in the FF line, or too slow a game down if we, somehow, have a lead, which wont happen next year, unless Gerry Brady and the Co Board grow a pair of liathroidi and get rid of McGleenan

Positives for me are that many of their scores came from silly turnovers that with a little bit of proper coaching, can be improved upon relatively quickly.

Another is that I expected us to lose by 8-10 not 3.

I also thought young Bradley added urgency when he played the link man role late on......why Seanie had that job, I will never know....a slow paced attack got slower when he got on the ball......we did break at pace a few times and got scores, and surprise surprise, Seanie wasnt involved.

Seanie should be an impact sub in the FF line, or too slow a game down if we, somehow, have a lead, which wont happen next year, unless Gerry Brady and the Co Board grow a pair of liathroidi and get rid of McGleenan

Gearoid has being a positive this year. Saturday turned up against a big team which was nice to see. Thought Mcveety tried hard and some flashes of brilliance in spite of couple mistakes. Also Fergal Reilly had a great game on a good player who was taken of.

Cant argue with that either.....Gearoid has been pretty impressive, although there is way too much asked of him.....play on the 40, and dominate MF for kick outs.

I dont think we have many decent MFs in Cavan, but surely there is better than whats there at present

Cant argue with that either.....Gearoid has been pretty impressive, although there is way too much asked of him.....play on the 40, and dominate MF for kick outs.

I dont think we have many decent MFs in Cavan, but surely there is better than whats there at present

Well Galligan from Lacken but he was dropped. David Wright is playing well too.

• Advertisement

Well Galligan from Lacken but he was dropped. David Wright is playing well too.

And the Gaels lads but they won't go in.

Advertisement