Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Cavan_King wrote: »
    The problem is Mattie’s luck. He has now got us promoted to Division 1 and two wins in the qualifiers is our best performance since 2013 I’d imagine.

In 2012, Terry first introduced the defensive system to the seniors but we’re now at it six years and we still can’t manage to counter with a bit of speed.

Short memory. In 2016 we were the highest scoring team in the league. We pressed and countered at speed. We were a joy to watch.

Still think that when Givney snuck that late goal against Tyrone that our biggest error was hat we didn’t press the kick out and go for the jugular in the last minute. We settled for a draw, got upended in the replay and a sloppy sending off against Derry ended our season.

But we played some mighty stuff that year (relative to previous years)

Don’t want to be getting all misty eyed for 2016, but it is worth revisiting for a number of reasons.

We started poorly in the league- losing to Tyrone (again, but sure what else is new- i think we played them at least 5 times that year between league, Mc Kenna Cup & fhampinship) and somehow contriving to lose at home to Derry- things didn’t click till that momentous turn around at half time in Navan and we kicked on from there.

I may stand corrected but I don’t think Givney went in to full forward until that game and from then on he was the focal point of our attack. So a bit of luck there as we finally found the position to use his talent.

Secondly, GMac was being eased back in to the team post injury and was played on the 40. Corr and Buchanan did Trojan work in the middle and Gearoid was free to rampage forward, kick those big scores and not have to worry about tracking back. So there was a bit of luck in how we ended up playing such good football, but no one was complaining. Would’ve loved to see Terry have gone one more year but wasn’t to be.

BTW- as bad as yesterday was, I think the back door match against the Rossies in Breffni in 2014 was worse. Coming on the back of the run of 2013, promotion to division 2 and the expectations it was actually worse. And the first half of that game (the Rossies winning 2 points to 1) was the worst “football” I have ever seen.

Still yesterday was awful. Got a sense that the players were less than enamoured with the “tactics”. The energy levels were so low, they almost seemed resigned to defeat.

I agree though- the manager is bringing us backwards quickly and when this season ends, he’s got to be replaced. We got promoted from a very poor division 2 and if he’s in situ next January I don’t think we will see people rushing to join the panel. Hopefully I’m wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Don’t want to be getting all misty eyed for 2016, but it is worth revisiting for a number of reasons.

We started poorly in the league- losing to Tyrone (again, but sure what else is new- i think we played them at least 5 times that year between league, Mc Kenna Cup & fhampinship) and somehow contriving to lose at home to Derry- things didn’t click till that momentous turn around at half time in Navan and we kicked on from there.

I may stand corrected but I don’t think Givney went in to full forward until that game and from then on he was the focal point of our attack. So a bit of luck there as we finally found the position to use his talent.

Secondly, GMac was being eased back in to the team post injury and was played on the 40. Corr and Buchanan did Trojan work in the middle and Gearoid was free to rampage forward, kick those big scores and not have to worry about tracking back. So there was a bit of luck in how we ended up playing such good football, but no one was complaining. Would’ve loved to see Terry have gone one more year but wasn’t to be.

BTW- as bad as yesterday was, I think the back door match against the Rossies in Breffni in 2014 was worse. Coming on the back of the run of 2013, promotion to division 2 and the expectations it was actually worse. And the first half of that game (the Rossies winning 2 points to 1) was the worst “football” I have ever seen.

Still yesterday was awful. Got a sense that the players were less than enamoured with the “tactics”. The energy levels were so low, they almost seemed resigned to defeat.

I agree though- the manager is bringing us backwards quickly and when this season ends, he’s got to be replaced. We got promoted from a very poor division 2 and if he’s in situ next January I don’t think we will see people rushing to join the panel. Hopefully I’m wrong on that.

The players themselves wanted a change in tactics as they were open all year. However it's obvious the manager can't coach tactics. Nobody is aware of their role. There's more to a blanket than getting players back. Also in the middle of they year to introduce a new style of play is madness.

The players themselves wanted a change in tactics as they were open all year. However it's obvious the manager can't coach tactics. Nobody is aware of their role. There's more to a blanket than getting players back. Also in the middle of they year to introduce a new style of play is madness.

Up until we fluked the goal, we were so leaderless and directionless I felt it was as if the players had given up on 2018 and were looking forward to the summer.

That’s not a slight on the players. In spite of a lack of tactics they put in some dogged performances to drag us back into division 1. I just feel their heart wasn’t in the game yesterday which isn’t like our lads. I attribute that to a lack of belief in the “system”.

If we get dumped out in the next round I wouldn’t be surprised to hear of a players meeting ala 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭rrs

Not quite accurate. Givney was injured for the first 2 League games in 2016.
    Cavan played attacking football in 2015 but didn't have the attacking outlets of Johnston and Givney in the full forward line. They made the difference in 2016.
    McHale was brought in as a forward coach in 2015 to replace Peter Donnelly. Cavan played some good football in spells in 2015 like the Laois game, but were badly missing a target man. Argue went in full forward for the Championship that year. He had a decent game on Wylie.

• Advertisement

rrs wrote: »
    Not quite accurate. Givney was injured for the first 2 League games in 2016.
    Cavan played attacking football in 2015 but didn't have the attacking outlets of Johnston and Givney in the full forward line. They made the difference in 2016.
    McHale was brought in as a forward coach in 2015 to replace Peter Donnelly. Cavan played some good football in spells in 2015 like the Laois game, but were badly missing a target man. Argue went in full forward for the Championship that year. He had a decent game on Wylie.
    Raymond Galligan was also a reason for the quick attacking football. He came into the team for the Monghan game in 2015, and was a revelation the following year with a full year in goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Our blanket defence isn't even organised...lads running around like blue arsed flies.....its numbers getting back but loads of gaps that are never there when Tyrone Dublin or any other top team drop lads back. Our only hope of getting through is either leitrim or another team falling apart like Down did. Mattie has to go.....7 heavy Div 1 defeats follow otherwise, as I can't see the likes of Mackey and Caoimhin committing again next year to be bit part players when they should be starting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

That’s a good point indeed about 2016 but the problem is the manager and most of that team have walked away from the panel since then.

It was the best football we played but we don’t have those players available and I hate to keep beating the drum but questions have to be asked about that.

The county board had the chance to appoint a manager who could pull the team together and move forward and instead they went for Mattie. The rest is history.

No matter what is said about the performances you can’t argue with the end result - Cavan will be in Division 1 next year and have had our best year in the qualifiers since the anamoly that was 2013.

People talking about Mattie not being there next year are deluding themselves.

That’s a good point indeed about 2016 but the problem is the manager and most of that team have walked away from the panel since then.

It was the best football we played but we don’t have those players available and I hate to keep beating the drum but questions have to be asked about that.

The county board had the chance to appoint a manager who could pull the team together and move forward and instead they went for Mattie. The rest is history.

No matter what is said about the performances you can’t argue with the end result - Cavan will be in Division 1 next year and have had our best year in the qualifiers since the anamoly that was 2013.

Unfortunately the County Board didn't have a chance to appoint such a manager. Banty was the alternative. Maybe if Mattie had to listen to Finbar Reilly or Jimmy Higgins then there could have being progress. Maybe get Finbar back with Jason?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

The standard in Division 2 this year was terrible, Roscommon and Cavan were the best of a bad lot.
    Hopefully we dont get Monaghan tomorrow.
    I’d give the managers job to Peter Reilly if he’d take it. The players that have left might return for him.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    The standard in Division 2 this year was terrible, Roscommon and Cavan were the best of a bad lot.
    Hopefully we dont get Monaghan tomorrow.
    I’d give the managers job to Peter Reilly if he’d take it. The players that have left might return for him.

Cavan were second best against Tipp and Down. Definitely not best against of bad lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

A win but what a shambles... we struggled against a Down team with arguably its two best players black carded and down to 14 men, we were given a gift of a goal and then two stupid red cards at the end.

People said it to me all through the league but Mattie is a very lucky manager.

It will be pure luck if we get into the Super 8 qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Our blanket defence isn't even organised...lads running around like blue arsed flies.....its numbers getting back but loads of gaps that are never there when Tyrone Dublin or any other top team drop lads back. Our only hope of getting through is either leitrim or another team falling apart like Down did. Mattie has to go.....7 heavy Div 1 defeats follow otherwise, as I can't see the likes of Mackey and Caoimhin committing again next year to be bit part players when they should be starting

Its a mickey mouse version of a soccer defence.
    You dont just run back beside your best pal.

You've got to go back in a shape, or at least to a specific space.

Unfortunately the County Board didn't have a chance to appoint such a manager. Banty was the alternative. Maybe if Mattie had to listen to Finbar Reilly or Jimmy Higgins then there could have being progress. Maybe get Finbar back with Jason?

If they had to offer the right money, instead of attempting to save the pennies, they would have got their man.

Tyrone. That ends our year. Let’s hope it’s not too embarassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Another McKenna cup scoreline looks likely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

game's in Croker and on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

game's in Croker and on sky.

Not quite yet.
    The Kildare v Mayo was supposed to be on too as part of a double header but Kildare are objecting. It seems they want their home advantage.

Yevon wrote: »
    If they had to offer the right money, instead of attempting to save the pennies, they would have got their man.

Who was their man that they wouldn't pay enough?

We’ve been through it before on the thread so I’m not going to retread old ground. There are far better managers available than Mattie the bluffer McGleenan. He was a cheap option.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We’ve been through it before on the thread so I’m not going to retread old ground. There are far better managers available than Mattie the bluffer McGleenan. He was a cheap option.

Not saying you're wrong but I can't remember hearing of anyone else bar Banty applying for the job. Can you enlighten me as to who it was please?

• Advertisement

Not saying you're wrong but I can't remember hearing of anyone else bar Banty applying for the job. Can you enlighten me as to who it was please?

I think it’s not just about getting people to apply but going and finding someone proven. I don’t believe Mattie applied. He was approached.

I’d take Canavan, Pete McGrath, Fergal Logan, Tony McEntee, James Horan, Joe Kernan or numerous others over that spoofer we have now.

Even after we are hammered this weekend though, he’ll still be there next year. You can’t argue with promotion to Division 1 and two wins in the qualifiers - how he has managed it I just don’t know.

Cavan approached plenty. I heard they approached Gilroy and he was put off by how they went about it. They asked how much did he want, above anything else

Cavan king, i don't know what you're on about. Plenty were approached. They weren't interested ,end of. Pat Gilroy, Mcentee, Cunnigham, Paul Curran, Pillar Caffrey

It came down to McGleenan and Banty, as that's what they were left with, as optons to approach,

rrs wrote: »
    Cavan approached plenty. I heard they approached Gilroy and he was put off by how they went about it. They asked how much did he want, above anything else

Cavan king, i don't know what you're on about. Plenty were approached. They weren't interested ,end of. Pat Gilroy, Mcentee, Cunnigham, Paul Curran, Pillar Caffrey

It came down to McGleenan and Banty, as that's what they were left with, as optons to approach,

Was Fergal Logan approached? Or Joe Kernan? Canavan or Pete McGrath? McEntee was approached too late because he was working with Mayo. Cavan should have went for him a few years back.

Do you honestly think Mattie is the best we could get seeing as we’d just won a multitude of underage titles and were going into Division 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

am i the only one who thinks it's abad reflection on the state of gaa in the county that we were unable to put up a suitable alternative county venue for last Saturdays game.and in so now given the decision makers in h.q a excuse to fix Saturdays game for croker.yes i acknowledge the players like to play in croker.or so we are told.but what about the supporters for a change.if the players are good enough they will get there chance later in the competition.

Yevon wrote: »
    Was Fergal Logan approached? Or Joe Kernan? Canavan or Pete McGrath? McEntee was approached too late because he was working with Mayo. Cavan should have went for him a few years back.

Do you honestly think Mattie is the best we could get seeing as we’d just won a multitude of underage titles and were going into Division 1?

McEntee had been working with Mayo for a year by the time Terry left, Pete McGrath was with Fermanagh for 2 years when Terry left.

I definitely think Cavan couldn't get better than Mattie, it seemed very clear at the time that all the big names we were connected with were keen to distance themselves from the position.

A newly promoted Division 1 team with an obvious lack of quality up front and a set of supporters that have notoriously high expectations based on some modest underage success. The only thing that could be considered progress was an Ulster title in a time when Tyrone had just handed us a record beating and Monaghan and Donegal were still extremely strong.

The Cavan position was not attractive in 2016 and will be less attractive in 2018. If there's a respected internal candidate that's the best option. For me it's Peter Reilly.

Reading your post, it’s a wonder that Rory Gallagher went near Fermanagh or Pete McGrath has ended up in Louth or, for that point, ever ended up in Fermanagh. Should any manager ever accept a challenge!?

You also only a few posts back had lads talking about 2016 being our best year and the wonderful counter attacking football we played. You say we had a record loss to Tyrone but fail to acknowledge we drew with them prior to that and had handed drubbings to the lines of Armagh in the league plus just beaten Galway to gain promotion - look where Galway were this year.

I wouldn’t necessarily agree re Peter Reilly. Jason O’Reilly probably a better alternative IMO.

I do think we need to look for a big name though from outside the county. A respected figure who would start afresh and try to entice back some of the lads who have walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Im dreading Croke Park on Sunday.....a double figure beating is on the cards

Im unsure at why its there....apparently the process was that we suggest an alternative venue if Breffni isnt available......surely Gerry and the County Board suggested Enniskillen, or Clones and not Croke Park??

Im resigned to getting a hiding, Mattie staying in charge and 7 hammerings in Div 1 next yera,

Re an alternative mananger the only thing I heard was that Horan wasnt interested and McEntee would manage a team in Ulster other than Armagh.

Is it likely the current Under 20 set up are likely to be the next Senior Management team?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Two questions:

1: What in the name of Jebus possessed Cavan county board to renovate Breffni at height of championship?

2: Why on earth would they consider Croke Park to be a better place to play Tyrone than Enniskillen?

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Two questions:

1: What in the name of Jebus possessed Cavan county board to renovate Breffni at height of championship?

2: Why on earth would they consider Croke Park to be a better place to play Tyrone than Enniskillen?

1. It wasn’t expected we’d have two home qualifiers and the first round of the championship was away.

2. The novelty of a trip to Croker for the fans. We’ve played there twice (both 2013) since 1997 in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

With the 10 suspensions for the Ulster U20 game, anyone reckon McKiernan and others will be lucky to escape retrospective bans?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Im dreading Croke Park on Sunday.....a double figure beating is on the cards

Im unsure at why its there....apparently the process was that we suggest an alternative venue if Breffni isnt available......surely Gerry and the County Board suggested Enniskillen, or Clones and not Croke Park??

Im resigned to getting a hiding, Mattie staying in charge and 7 hammerings in Div 1 next yera,

Re an alternative mananger the only thing I heard was that Horan wasnt interested and McEntee would manage a team in Ulster other than Armagh.

Is it likely the current Under 20 set up are likely to be the next Senior Management team?

Cavan County Board had given the GAA alternatives venues for the game on sunday but then the GAA invited them up to be part of a double header and CCC accepted the invite....Thats what Marty Morrisey said on 1 o clock news.

Advertisement