Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭rrs

He is 30 this year, he is a year younger then Mackey and Flanagan . He captained the Aussie rules team the following year.

Looks good at club level but that's a different story to county. Paul Graham and Niall Smith if they were able to commit, would be decent options.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Darragh Kennedy and Fergal Reilly got injured for clubs. Squad looking smaller now.

Heard Ramor Gaels feisty. Five reds and lots of black cards.

Darragh Kennedy and Fergal Reilly got injured for clubs. Squad looking smaller now.

Plus no McVeety. McLoughlin and Caomhin doubts and possibly Stephen Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭celt262

Plus no McVeety. McLoughlin and Caomhin doubts and possibly Stephen Murray.

Do you know this to be true or just copy what you read on Hoganstand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Well Mattie said Dara Caoimhin & Jason are doubtful, and there is a rumour that Murray pulled his hamstring v Ramor at the w/e

Well Mattie said Dara Caoimhin & Jason are doubtful, and there is a rumour that Murray pulled his hamstring v Ramor at the w/e

Fergal Reilly broke thumb. Heard Kennedy injured too. Not sure what injury is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭rrs

That's 3 corner backs out now or doubtful, Philips, mcglaughlin and Reilly.
    Kennedy has played corner back in McKenna cup, so probably 4

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Fergal Reilly broke thumb. Heard Kennedy injured too. Not sure what injury is.

Broken collarbone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

10 days out from championship and not much hype about it ?
    Any updates on the injury list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I see Hoganstand (i know,please forgive me) has Ray Galligan, Jelly,Caoimhin,Gearoid and Mackey all down as injured as well as McVeety/Martin Reily that we know about... Bull****, i hope?

Hammar wrote: »
    I see Hoganstand (i know,please forgive me) has Ray Galligan, Jelly,Caoimhin,Gearoid and Mackey all down as injured as well as McVeety/Martin Reily that we know about... Bull****, i hope?

From I heard there are injury doubts around Martin Reilly and Caoimhin. Also obviously McVeety, Darragh Kennedy and Fergal Reilly. Heard David Brady was carrying an injury and hadn't trained for couple weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Surprising there's not much mention of the starting line up being named here:

Cavan (Ulster SFC v Donegal): Raymond Galligan; Jason McLoughlin, Padraig Faulkner, Niall Murray, Martin Reilly, Ciaran Brady, Conor Moynagh, Killian Clarke, Bryan Magee; Cian Mackey, Oisin Kiernan, Enda Flanagan; Caoimhin O'Reilly, Gearoid McKiernan, Conor Bradley

I think it's about the strongest team Mattie could have named. No doubt there'll be some movement between the half back and half forward line because I'd have a lot of worries about a half back line with both Brady and Moynagh in it - both like wandering up the pitch just a little too much.

It's the worst kept secret in the county that McVeety will feature. I just hope he hasn't been rushed back and I also hope if he does start, that it's for Mackey. I've thought it for years but I can't understand why we always start him to take him off around 45-50 minutes when we need him most.

The League final showed we haven't much of a bench so having him and Johnston to come on around 45-50 minutes and lift the crowd and team is the route I'd take.

I'd also have worries about midfield (would prefer to see Killian in the backs) but again its a problem area for us with Buchanan out.

Cavan_King wrote: »

Cavan (Ulster SFC v Donegal): Raymond Galligan; Jason McLoughlin, Padraig Faulkner, Niall Murray, Martin Reilly, Ciaran Brady, Conor Moynagh, Killian Clarke, Bryan Magee; Cian Mackey, Oisin Kiernan, Enda Flanagan; Caoimhin O'Reilly, Gearoid McKiernan, Conor Bradley

I think it's about the strongest team Mattie could have named. No doubt there'll be some movement between the half back and half forward line because I'd have a lot of worries about a half back line with both Brady and Moynagh in it - both like wandering up the pitch just a little too much.

It's the worst kept secret in the county that McVeety will feature. I just hope he hasn't been rushed back and I also hope if he does start, that it's for Mackey. I've thought it for years but I can't understand why we always start him to take him off around 45-50 minutes when we need him most.

The League final showed we haven't much of a bench so having him and Johnston to come on around 45-50 minutes and lift the crowd and team is the route I'd take.

I'd also have worries about midfield (would prefer to see Killian in the backs) but again its a problem area for us with Buchanan out.

It would be madness risking McVeety. Save him for qualifiers. Is Martin Reilly fit?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

It would be madness risking McVeety. Save him for qualifiers. Is Martin Reilly fit?
    McVeety might come on late in the game if we're still in it I'd say. Martin Reilly is out from what I hear.

If Mackey starts hes never taken off unless injured. Re McVeety....even if hes is fit....hes has no minutes or match fitness....id only bring him on with 10 left if the match is in the melting pot....otherwise hold him for 2 weeks or the qualifiers.

Gearoid to MF....Clarke to full back on McBrearty and Faulkner to Cb

Very poor performance in Ballybofey. Outplayed and outmanovured. I see a plus in that we didnt stop fighting, or at least I thought we didnt.

Donegal had us worked out... Mackey and Gearoid were man marked for the most part and our defence fell apart. We were lucky that we didnt concede more than what we did.

Had we played Clarke as a full back with Gearoid in MF we would have been more solid defensively.
    Galligan won us promtion with all the saves and had 2 more to make today. McGleenan cant set us up defensively to give us a fighting chance against the big teams.
    Our defenders especially our full back line are too happy to go forward....Murray kicked a point, McLoughlin kicked a wide and Faulkner missed a goal chance in the first half. Against Tipp our full back line all kicked wides. Its a scandal that it happens and isnt stamped out. He took a man who scored 1-3 off after 9 mins of the second half. McGleenan is a clown.

That was a team relegated from Div 1.....we are lambs to the slaughter unless we change manager.

I feel sorry for some of the players. McVeety after the game looked absolutely distraught. Its criminal that a panel of players put in the time effort and commitment to be embarrassed by a very poor manager

Cavan trained two weeks ago for nearly two hours in Dublin. All hard running. No footballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Very disappointed with the result but to be honest it wasn't a surprise

Donegal were men against boys
    physically and we needed to convert every chance we got which we didnt

Few strange decisions along the line with the changes ... Bringing martin and dara in when the game was lost were foolish and hopefully not costly

And while I'm on about cost a few of the cavan supporters at the game were saying the team stayed in sligo last night ...ffs ballybofey is 2 hrs away ??? Surely the county board cant justify this ****e ??

We need a kind draw in the qualifiers and try and build a bit of momentum otherwise its curtains for another year

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the result but to be honest it wasn't a surprise

Donegal were men against boys
    physically and we needed to convert every chance we got which we didnt

Few strange decisions along the line with the changes ... Bringing martin and dara in when the game was lost were foolish and hopefully not costly

And while I'm on about cost a few of the cavan supporters at the game were saying the team stayed in sligo last night ...ffs ballybofey is 2 hrs away ??? Surely the county board cant justify this ****e ??

We need a kind draw in the qualifiers and try and build a bit of momentum otherwise its curtains for another year

Re the sligo thing i dont have an issue with this. Ive heard of other county teams doing this for games. But i agree re dara and martin coming on....made no sense....and taking caoimhin off after 9 mins of the second half was nuts

• Advertisement

He took a man who scored 1-3 off after 9 mins of the second half. McGleenan is a clown.

That was a team relegated from Div 1.....we are lambs to the slaughter unless we change manager.

I feel sorry for some of the players. McVeety after the game looked absolutely distraught. Its criminal that a panel of players put in the time effort and commitment to be embarrassed by a very poor manager
    I can't believe O'Reilly was taken off so early after kicking 1-3. He was our only threat, even McConville said on BBC Donegal were delighted to see him come off. I have no faith in McGleenan at all and he has to go this year unless we massively turn it around, but I seriously can't see that happening. Our Championship record under him so far is appalling. I don't actually blame the players, we have far too many passengers and limited players in the side that don't belong near an IC team at this level. I fear we will be put out of the qualifiers by the first decent team we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

cavan4sam wrote: »

When is the qualifier draw or has it happened already?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

lycan238 wrote: »
    When is the qualifier draw or has it happened already?
    the draw is normally the week before the first round of qualifiers, so with the first qualifier round on June 9th, it'll be the week before that you'd think.

Just for reference , heres the overall master fixtures chart , with no mention of qualifier draws
    http://www.gaa.ie/mm/Document/GaaIe/GAANews/15/11/42/MasterFixturesGrid(1)_English.docx

https://soundcloud.com/we-are-cavan

Interviews at 38 and 44 (Mackey & McGleenan)

Mattie, heaping pressure on McVeety, like all good managers should

A lot of time spent on the issue of losing players, which to be fair is very relevant, but not enough focus on the lack of a defensive system and the fact that our full back line is looking to get forward at every available opportunity

I don't normally listen to that Podcast but I will do in future. Who are the two lads on it - Damien Donohoe and who?

For me, I raised the point back at the league final and it sticks - we don't have a manager who can get near our best team actually on the pitch. In fact, he's lost more players since he started. I can't blame lads either, I don't respect him and I don't see why they would.

Watching the replay of the game on the BBC, it's very frustrating, we'd no intensity, struck poor wides, marking was atrocious, didn't pressurize the Donegal forwards.... and the list goes on.

A big improvement is needed and my only hope is we get an easy enough draw in the qualifiers so that we can attempt to gain some momentum.

It's shocking though that when the Monaghan and Cavan teams of the 2013 Ulster semi final are compared, we've five of our 20 players that featured left and they've 12, considering the majority of their players who left were justified retirements. Someone definitely needs to sit down with all the lads that walked away and asked what can be done to stop it.

I don't normally listen to that Podcast but I will do in future. Who are the two lads on it - Damien Donohoe and who?

For me, I raised the point back at the league final and it sticks - we don't have a manager who can get near our best team actually on the pitch. In fact, he's lost more players since he started. I can't blame lads either, I don't respect him and I don't see why they would.

Watching the replay of the game on the BBC, it's very frustrating, we'd no intensity, struck poor wides, marking was atrocious, didn't pressurize the Donegal forwards.... and the list goes on.

A big improvement is needed and my only hope is we get an easy enough draw in the qualifiers so that we can attempt to gain some momentum.

It's shocking though that when the Monaghan and Cavan teams of the 2013 Ulster semi final are compared, we've five of our 20 players that featured left and they've 12, considering the majority of their players who left were justified retirements. Someone definitely needs to sit down with all the lads that walked away and asked what can be done to stop it.

Paul Fitzpatrick the other lad. Think they make a good point about strength and conditioning. Some of our players had their jersey hanging off them including lads in the panel for years while Donegal players filled theirs.

Sean Cavanagh was fooling nobody when he mentioned on Today FM the other evening that Tyrone could be in trouble if they got an away trip to Castlebar or Breffni!!

Sean Cavanagh was fooling nobody when he mentioned on Today FM the other evening that Tyrone could be in trouble if they got an away trip to Castlebar or Breffni!!

I doubt they are too worried, they've already thumped us once in Breffni this year in McKenna Cup. I worry for us in the qualifiers the momentum is gone.

Under 20 team

Danny Cullivan (Cornafean)
    Patrick O’Reilly (Crosserlough)
    Luke Fortune (Cavan Gaels)
    Finbar McAvinue (Arvagh)
    Conor O’Reilly (Denn)
    Conor Brady (Gowna)
    Philip Rogers (Knockbride)
    James Smith (Crosserlough)
    Conor Rehill (Crosserlough)
    Luke Molloy (Cavan Gaels)