Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top five reasons small businesses dump their PC for a Mac

Options
  • 03-03-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

right click this baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I used one years ago (It only had 1 button on the mouse) kinda strange....

It was my sisters.........

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

1. Free, Fast File Transfer From Apple
    2. Mac OS X Leopard-More Intuitive, Crashes Less, Runs Faster
    3. Unlike PCs, Macs Aren’t Plagued By Viruses and Spyware Downloads
    4. Hundreds of Business Applications to Choose From
    5. Apple Support-Accessible, Knowledgeable and, Actually, Helpful

The third reason is the only valid one in that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

1, 2, 3 and 4 are true. 5 isn't 100% true but there are far worse out there.

1 is a joke of a reason. 2 is true for most users if they don't try and change to much in depth. 3 is true outright. 4 is true but a gain a joke of a reason, there are hundreds of business applications on pc's too.

For the record, I'm a complete mac head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dude111 wrote: »

urgh! that wasn't a mouse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Dude111 wrote: »

Oddly even with a new Mac the mouse still operates as a One-Button device !! One must change the characteristics of the Right-Click in System Preferences to get a Two - or more !! - Button mouse ! The Mouse is a multi buttoned unit but Apple in their wisdom default it to one button ?!

As a Mac user of some 17+ years even I would be reluctant to get too complaicent about the "Free From Viruses" claim !! Recent news reports seem to suggest that this claim may no longer be true and it's not just referring to Proof Of Concept stuff either !!

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ZENER wrote: »
    Oddly even with a new Mac the mouse still operates as a One-Button device !! One must change the characteristics of the Right-Click in System Preferences to get a Two - or more !! - Button mouse ! The Mouse is a multi buttoned unit but Apple in their wisdom default it to one button ?!

well thats simply not true.

how long have you been using a macintosh? dosnt sound like you know much about them

Skerries wrote: »
    right click this baby!

I did and opened it in a new tab :) :P

Also with OS X Lion the setup assistant will now support migration from a PC so documents etc! Take that!
    Also Apple Retail released a new genius business model, You pay $499 a year and if one of your computers ****s out until that gets fixed you given a MacBook Pro 15 to get you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

I did and opened it in a new tab :) :P

You pay $499 a year and if one of your computers ****s out until that gets fixed you given a MacBook Pro 15 to get you through.

This is exactly the point... do you not see that this may be worthwhile for (well off) consumers... but for small business with anything more that two or three computers, they would be better off just buying a spare computer and leaving it sit there, it will pay for itself in 12 months. They are offering services that sound good on paper, but in reality, are unneccessary, bad value or plain useless when it comes to a small business.

The business model is flawed... small businesses don't care about 4 out of the 5 reasons mentioned in the link... until a valid business case is presented, there won't be any mass migration of to PC in the small business space.... in fact, I would say that the author has it backwards... small business will not move to mac until large businesses to so - why risk it.

Apple have, deservedly, done well in the home user market, but outside of their traditional areas in the business space, I can't see them gaining much ground in the short to middle term.... and I can't see how they will either.

• Advertisement

This is exactly the point... do you not see that this may be worthwhile for (well off) consumers... but for small business with anything more that two or three computers, they would be better off just buying a spare computer and leaving it sit there, it will pay for itself in 12 months. They are offering services that sound good on paper, but in reality, are unneccessary, bad value or plain useless when it comes to a small business.

The business model is flawed... small businesses don't care about 4 out of the 5 reasons mentioned in the link... until a valid business case is presented, there won't be any mass migration of to PC in the small business space.... in fact, I would say that the author has it backwards... small business will not move to mac until large businesses to so - why risk it.

Apple have, deservedly, done well in the home user market, but outside of their traditional areas in the business space, I can't see them gaining much ground in the short to middle term.... and I can't see how they will either.

I like how you didn't quote the migrate assistant bit :rolleyes: Which would be perfect to help migrate small businesses and the $499 is only for businesses and also includes call-outs from apple for tech support. Also lets face it the new specs of those Apple Laptops.. They are on par with a PC. A quad core i7, State of the art ati graphics, the beautiful design and big screen that has IPS technology.

Also the virus thing, the mac can't really get them AT ALL unless the user installs malicious software.

See this is how windows and unix works. On Windows once the user logs in as a administrator you got full control over the computer, you can modify the system folders and so on. When you install software you don't need to enter your password.

On a Mac when you login you have full control over your Home folder (Documents, Music, Movies and all) But if "the user" wants to install an application or modify the "System" or "Library" or "Private" or "etc" folder it requires them to use their password. In theory the furthest a hacker could get is to get inside the mac system try to place the file but then on the "users side" a big prompt will pop up saying "We require your administrator password to modify" and so on. That's how Macs are more secure. But if your torrenting hackers can put malicious code inside the installer because when it installs your illegal application it can install the malicious code.

I like how you didn't quote the migrate assistant bit :rolleyes: Which would be perfect to help migrate small businesses and the $499 is only for businesses and also includes call-outs from apple for tech support. Also lets face it the new specs of those Apple Laptops.. They are on par with a PC. A quad core i7, State of the art ati graphics, the beautiful design and big screen that has IPS technology.

Also the virus thing, the mac can't really get them AT ALL unless the user installs malicious software.

See this is how windows and unix works. On Windows once the user logs in as a administrator you got full control over the computer, you can modify the system folders and so on. When you install software you don't need to enter your password.

On a Mac when you login you have full control over your Home folder (Documents, Music, Movies and all) But if "the user" wants to install an application or modify the "System" or "Library" or "Private" or "etc" folder it requires them to use their password. In theory the furthest a hacker could get is to get inside the mac system try to place the file but then on the "users side" a big prompt will pop up saying "We require your administrator password to modify" and so on. That's how Macs are more secure. But if your torrenting hackers can put malicious code inside the installer because when it installs your illegal application it can install the malicious code.

if mac was as popular an operating system as windows there would be just as much viruses for it, its better fr us mac users for it to stay with a small market share

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

PeakOutput wrote: »
    if mac was as popular an operating system as windows there would be just as much viruses for it, its better fr us mac users for it to stay with a small market share

That doesn't add up. There are many thousands of viruses in the wild for PC, yet zero for the Mac. Even if the Mac user share is only 5% or whatever, the "security by obscurity" argument doesn't make sense as 5% still adds up to tens of millions of machines.

Source: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2009/09/02/why-are-there-no-mac-viruses/

OSI wrote: »
    Sorry, but your post smacks of a poor understanding of how any, let alone the 2 you compare, OS actually works and the fundamentals of Virus'

That's actually the simplest way to explain how malicious code gets into a system. Yes what I forgot to add was that on windows you still need to download a file but that can be masked under a image or sound clip or video file, something that doesn't even need to be installed where as on a mac the only way to go to the root would be to use the admins password. To me it sounds like you haven't even tested what I said on a mac for proof. Think about it, on Windows XP for E.g when you go to the system folder it pops up something about this should remain hidden, are you sure you want to show these important files. I know in 7 a security alert pops up if something happens but it doesn't need your password so in most cases as you open a file the malicious code is on the headers to run first so that you think to open the image or whatever windows just needs your authentication to open the image preview or wmp.exe and so on.

For mac to even startup an applet "virus" you need to get in to the launch daemons which is protected by the unix kernel. So for mac the only way to do modifications would be to make the user enter their password.

cornbb wrote: »
    That doesn't add up. There are many thousands of viruses in the wild for PC, yet zero for the Mac. Even if the Mac user share is only 5% or whatever, the "security by obscurity" argument doesn't make sense as 5% still adds up to tens of millions of machines.

Source: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2009/09/02/why-are-there-no-mac-viruses/

first of all I think its fine in a tech article to use the definition of virus that he used I think its fair to say that any layman is refering to all the things that definition excludes when they are talking about viruses

second of all, there being none in the wild and there not being any ever are not the same thing. mac os has had security flaws and will again and apple are great at closing them up very quickly but that is not the same thing as the os being inherently impervious.

why would a hacker code a virus for tens of millions of machines that are in the vast minority of total machines in use, with (i would guess) a higher then average proportion of power users knowing that apple will patch the hole almost immediately when they could code one for the other 95% of machines in existence?

by definition a virus for the mac wont work on a pc so if an infected mac sends the virus to the next computer, via email or however and that computer is not also a mac the spread stops. there is no way i can think of that would get the hacker around this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

how long have you been using a macintosh? dosnt sound like you know much about them

Sorry, but I'm backing him on this one. By default (certainly on the Laptops), the trackpad operates as a one button device. You have to switch on right click, or use the cmd-click 'short'cut.

This is utterly ridiculous.

I'm not so sure about the magic mouse, I'm 95% sure that it comes out of the box with the right click enabled. But the vast majority of the computers that Apple sell right now are laptops, so I'm presuming that the poster is referring to a trackpad when he says mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

when are people going to stop saying macs are more intuitive
    theyre not

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

EI111 wrote: »
    theyre not

Wow, I never thought of that. You have convinced me :rolleyes:

slasher_65 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I'm backing him on this one. By default (certainly on the Laptops), the trackpad operates as a one button device. You have to switch on right click, or use the cmd-click 'short'cut.

This is utterly ridiculous.

I'm not so sure about the magic mouse, I'm 95% sure that it comes out of the box with the right click enabled. But the vast majority of the computers that Apple sell right now are laptops, so I'm presuming that the poster is referring to a trackpad when he says mouse.

i have the magic mouse, the magic track pad and a 3yr old macbook. i cant remember if i had to turn on two fingers on the trackpad for right click but im pretty sure i didnt. my mate just got a macbook pro and he isnt very computer literate so i think it just worked out of the box for him to but ill ask him. magic trackpad and the magic mouse has right and left click out of the box

As I said in my original post - 17 years !! I installed an aluminium iMac with Snow Leopard on Thursday of this week with a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. On startup the mouse behaved as a single button mouse until I changed it in System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse . . .

So . . you were saying ?

Ken

• Advertisement

Actually with all new apple laptops sold right click is enabled by default You tap two fingers on the trackpad :)

Actually with all new apple laptops sold right click is enabled by default You tap two fingers on the trackpad :)

Where did I mention trackpads ? By default a Mouse supplied with an Apple computer defaults to a single button operation until changed in System Preferences !

In previous versions of the Macbook Pro where there is an actual button visible these too were single button. On my Dual Core 1.83GHz MBP (Winter 2006 ?) there is only one button with no option to enable Right-Click though the two fingered tap does work as Right-Click on the trackpad.

Ken

As I said in my original post - 17 years !! I installed an aluminium iMac with Snow Leopard on Thursday of this week with a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. On startup the mouse behaved as a single button mouse until I changed it in System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse . . .

So . . you were saying ?

Ken

so trackpads on laptops come set up with right click enabled by default(According to another poster here anyway)

magic trackpad comes with it enabled by default

and i dont remember changing anything on my imac when i got it new with the magic mouse but ill take your word for it that it needs to be done.

so whats the problem again?

edit; also i did mis read your orignal post my bad

Where did I mention trackpads ? By default a Mouse supplied with an Apple computer defaults to a single button operation until changed in System Preferences !

In previous versions of the Macbook Pro where there is an actual button visible these too were single button. On my Dual Core 1.83GHz MBP (Winter 2006 ?) there is only one button with no option to enable Right-Click though the two fingered tap does work as Right-Click on the trackpad.

Ken
    IF your model can do the scrolling it can definitely do the right clicking.

Sidenote: If you find pressing system preferences, Mouse stresses you out and is harder to do than solving algebra hold then ctrl then make a click. Happy?

As for the right clicking. It comes default at least in OS X Snow Leopard and The Dev build of Lion

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

EI111 wrote: »
    theyre not

Not exactly sure where your're comming from with that statement!
    I work in a cross platform environment. I've been involved on and off with computers since before there was even a GUI to speak of.

I've seen most of the versions of windows from 3.1 to XP, and Mac OS from 7.6 to the present.
    And believe me, Mac OS is waaaay more instictive & intuitive to learn/teach than windows (or 'windies' as they like to call it up here!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Number 1 reason SMB will keep using PCs... Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Number 1 reason SMB will keep using PCs... Office.
    Office is available for Mac. And if the managers of SMBs had any sense, they'd be using OpenOffice.org in any case as it's a much better suite, operates cross platform, opens all formats (unlike MS Office) and is free!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i use a dell mouse on my mac and I can right click to my hearts content. on the mbp, you right click by using the multitouch pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭Talisman

second of all, there being none in the wild and there not being any ever are not the same thing. mac os has had security flaws and will again and apple are great at closing them up very quickly but that is not the same thing as the os being inherently impervious.

why would a hacker code a virus for tens of millions of machines that are in the vast minority of total machines in use, with (i would guess) a higher then average proportion of power users knowing that apple will patch the hole almost immediately when they could code one for the other 95% of machines in existence?
    Those statements are incorrect. Apple is very quick to fix security holes that affect the revenue stream, if it doesn't impact the cash cow it takes a while longer to fix.

For example if there is a known flaw in iOS which enables people to jailbreak their iPhone/iPad/iPod, Apple will fix it in the next release. However if the same flaw is to be found in OS X it can be months/several updates before the fix is released.

Another area where Apple falls down is the support for previous versions of the system. Patches for older versions of the operating system are very slow to appear even though a significant portion of users are on older systems. Not everybody can afford to be on the latest and greatest to stay up to date and 'secure'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Top reason most businesses wont dump their PC for a Mac?
    Cost.

Advertisement