Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have seen her posting around the site fairly recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Yep, I've been posting on a thread she started a few days ago in the Politics Café.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Aw, Chuckie, doesn't like us any more. :((sniffle!) Sorry the station closed Rube, you need to offer your services to other radio stations, maybe hospital radio. You'd cheer everyone up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

looksee wrote: »
    I have seen her posting around the site fairly recently.

Thank you oh Dane-ax-wielding-one :)
    OldGoat wrote: »
    Yep, I've been posting on a thread she started a few days ago in the Politics Café.

Thanks OG as long as she is doing well. Was the post about Post Election Trauma and the effects of lettuce soup? :D
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Aw, Chuckie, doesn't like us any more. :((sniffle!) Sorry the station closed Rube, you need to offer your services to other radio stations, maybe hospital radio. You'd cheer everyone up! :)

I was considering joining my friends on Mon FM here on Anglesey, but Saturday is already covered. Have to see what I can manage, and my Welsh is not that great either.
    ;)

Rubecula wrote: »
    Was the post about Post Election Trauma and the effects of lettuce soup? :D

Just raging against the machine - in this case the onslaught of electioneering posters that are about to assault our sensibilities in the run up to a general election.

Naught like a good rant of righteous indignation to start off your week. :)

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    Just raging against the machine - in this case the onslaught of electioneering posters that are about to assault our sensibilities in the run up to a general election.

Naught like a good rant of righteous indignation to start off your week. :)

Thank heaven ours is over and done with for now. But already building up to the In.Out referendum on Europe in two years time.

Ahhh sure you don't know how to do referendums properly over there. What have you had, three or four, ever!
    We get to say Yes/No about sixteen times a year and if we don't get it right the first time we just have the same referendum again. :)

Yeah,y'haven't lived until you've experienced a good 'oul Irish referendum, agin and agin and agin!! :rolleyes: I'm fed up with it already.

The Scottish lass wants to redo the referendum up there too. Many want out of UK and many want in. Nowt to do with me really. I have an opinion of course but it is not my place to voice it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Hurling ..... I love the game. Way back when I still lived in Liverpool my priest was trying to get me to play..... sadly I never did. Anyway with my family originating in Dublin I became a sort of Dub supporter. I was watching a game on TV and the commentator said that to ply for a county team in Ireland you had to be born in that county. No idea how true this is. BUT irealised that despite the family history, as I was born in Liverpool I would never play for Dublin. (Not that I would ever have been good enough anyway, but the thought was there, I am too old and infirm now anyway)

I found, happily that there is a team in Liverpool, it is a Ladies team but it is a nice shirt, so I ordered one from O'Neill's. I only ordered it on Saturday and it arrived today. Great service to be fair and I have a great shirt for the Liverpool Wolf Tones .... Look it up, it is a cracking looking shirt.

By the way has anyone seen Chucken lately?

As the great Michael O Muircheartaigh said of Seán Óg Ó hAilpín,
    “His Father’s From Fermanagh And His Mother’s From Fiji. Neither A Noted Hurling Stronghold."

If Seán could only play for where he was from Cork would have been f**ked.

Ó hAilpín was born on the island of Rotuma, 646 kilometres north of the main Fiji islands to Seán Ó hAilpín, an oil-rig worker and a native of Fermanagh in Northern Ireland, and his wife Emilie, a hotel worker and a Rotuman. The eldest of six children, he was the only Ó hAilpín to be born on his mother's native island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

The Scottish lass wants to redo the referendum up there too. Many want out of UK and many want in. Nowt to do with me really. I have an opinion of course but it is not my place to voice it.
    Very wise Rube - say nothin' and keep sayin' it

Alice1 wrote: »
    Very wise Rube - say nothin' and keep sayin' it

Too right Alice, you never know where it will lead :cool:

Has anyone seen Doc and Marty turning up anywhere yet? :D

Sorry JB not seen either of them for a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Highly recommend 'Older than Ireland' if it's playing in a cinema near you - not just for the older brigade, everyone of every age should see it. Lovely film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OK, so I do nothing but go to the pictures. 'Brooklyn' - wait til you see the lovely clothes. Very sweet film. Great performances all round - even Julie Walters is not too over the top.

I rarely go to the flicks now. Occasionally I go to the theatre though.

Went to the theatre once with the school, but it was to see a film!

"Lord of the Flies"

I hated it.

*sigh*

I didn't like that film either. But I do enjoy the theatre. Nothing beats a live performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I didn't like that film either. But I do enjoy the theatre. Nothing beats a live performance.

The theeyahtah???? I've been to the theeyahtah twice, under duress, to endure a panto with Maureen Potter, putting a Dublin accent onto jokes she heard on BBC, and then a performance of "The Merchant of Venice" for skewell. Dreadful!

But, in order to preserve balance, I hate cinemas too. I got dragged to cinemas with "deh moh" because that's what you do. The best ever was "Jungle Book", yes, the cartoon version! Otherwise, I can't even remember a fillum that I enjoyed. Mind you, I was mostly otherwise occupied.......to avoid exploding in someone's face because they insisted on talking while chewing and dropping the noisiest snacks and wrappers that science could produce.

Live music is different though. I've been to hundreds of "gigs" (hate that word) but the best ever was Stephane Grappelli. I wore two cameras that night so that everyone thought I was a professional, and got right up to the front row, unhindered, and watched the great man in action through my azoom lens. I still had my lens on him when he finished a riff and the first guitarist took over. Grappelli stared sternly at me and pointed my attention towards the guitarist. When that riff was coming to an end, he beckoned me to zoom in on him again and he just took off, fingers a blur, note perfect. I zoomed in on the faces of the other musicians and could clearly see their amazement and admiration of this "pensioner" who simply dazzled every foot in the room into tapping.

So what was YOUR best ever experience at a live performance?

• Advertisement

I haven't been to a panto in about 30 years but I like to see a play now and again. Most memorable live performances were Don McClean (we saw him on two occasions he came here) and the Shadows in Birmingham. There was also 'The Importance of Being Oscar' (I think) at the Gate with an all male cast but silly us we didn't realise it was all male until well into the play. It was great though and one of the chaps playing a woman really confused us as we thought he was the only real girl. :D Can't remember the ones we saw in the Abbey. More recently last week we saw 'Tingo' at Smock Alley, in the small theatre there and that was brilliant, unusual, but brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not really a film enthusiast, I go to the cinema occasionally though I haven't been for a while. I am more interested in the visual aspects so I enjoyed Lord of the Rings and Avatar - the latter didn't have much of a plot but I don't really bother too much with plots, I did enjoy the visual effects though.

Otherwise I have been to a good few of the opera and ballet culture nights at the cinema, where a show is broadcast live from whatever theatre it is happening in, usually first nights. Of course all the intervals etc are included so they tend to be a long session, but very enjoyable.

It strikes me that there is a lot of culture in O&O these days. I am impressed. Can we have a name change to "The Petri Dish" (joke joke)

I wish I had half the culture and intelligence of most of you dear ones. Sadly, matron's potions cause a lack of .... err ... thingymyjigs and whathaveyous

LIVE ARTS!
    And dead arts come to think of it. Who'd a thunk that I have a science background.

@Brenz. Glad to see you still hanging in there old bean, and incredibly jealous of you having seen Grappelli.

I've been to so many gigs. Used to run a rehearsal studio in Dublin and worked with countless bands over the years here and in the UK (both unknowns and named) however the most memorable night of music was in a pub in Kilfenora in the Burren. Now I'm not a great aficionado of Irish music but I do know musicians and musicianship.
    The missus and myself were touring the country and passing through the town decided to stop for a drink in some random pub. There were a few local musicians jangling away in the corner, nothing pass remarkable about them. After a while a visiting Belgin bodhran player asked to join in and the music got a bit stronger. The missus (a non native) was quiet intrigued by the fluidity at which people could just drop in and out of the set.
    A short time later another touring visitor arrived. Loud, brash and a tad self imprtant. Turns out he was a professor of ethnic musics in SomePrestigiousCollegeSomewhere. He ask to join in and was soon settled by the fire. He unlocked and took out an obviously cherished violin with kid gloves and proceeded to play with all the flourish you might expect from a showman akin to Andre Rieu. He took the music and layered on beautiful flourishes.
    Thats rather nice I says to myself and decide to stay for another couple of pints.
    However, there was a bit of musical tension. The local fiddler took a bit of a dour look at being taken out of the first chair. He upped his game.
    Now I'm sure you've all seen the duelling banjos scene were the music 'battle' is goes on. This was like that. Every time the prof added a flourish the local would throw in new complex slide. The prof would pick up on it and add it then add a bit of vibrato. Not to be outdone the local dropped the whole thing down to a muted almost funeral lament forcing the prof out of his high-handed frivolity and into a more sombre mood. The prof was well up for that change and produced some of the most soul wrenching fiddle-twiddling I've heard. Local lad instantly whips the music back into a frantic high-stepping double jig.

This went on for hours. Other musicians would turn up, join the little band in the corner and within the space of a tune or two were quickly relegated to the roles of support. Some even just packed their instruments away again and just sat back to listen.

Between tunes the two fiddle players chatted happily, swooping notes and techniques but when the music started again there was an intense rivalry I've seldom seen. It remains the most thrilling night of music I've had the pleasure of witnessing and I've seen some magnificent acts throughout my life.

I would have LOVED to have witnessed that session in Kilfenora! About that rehearsal studio. I hope it was a nice studio. The only rehearsal studio I was in was dark, dirty and manky.

... dark, dirty and manky.
    There were only a few studios around at the time. One was high end (with a high end fee) and the others were fleapits. We tried to take the slice of market in the middle. Not the most comfortable in the world not not too shabby either. It funded a couple of years drinking for those of us involved. :)

I did some roadying in my youth with a strange band, but I enjoyed it, up until we all got beaten up by a group of nuns. :(

Friend of mine started out his career in sound engineering at the Bridge in Canning Town in it's early days. Owner of the pub Terry Murphy has just published a book of the stories. Fuppin' legend! Well worth a read if you were in anyway interested in music.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/legends-of-the-bridge-house-the-venue-everyone-loved-769508.html

Not music related, but I worked on these big old beauties, and despite their purpose, I am very proud to have done so. (5 mins video)

• Advertisement

Once upon a time there was a King who wanted to go fishing.

He called the royal weather forecaster and inquired as to the weather
    forecast for the next few hours. The weatherman assured him that there
    was no chance of rain in the coming days.

So the King went fishing with his wife, the Queen. On the way he met
    a farmer on his donkey. Upon seeing the King the farmer said, "Your
    Majesty, you should return to the palace at once because in just a
    short time I expect a huge amount of rain to fall in this area".

The King was polite and considerate; he replied: "I hold the palace
    meteorologist in high regard. He is an extensively educated and
    experienced professional, and besides, I pay him very high wages. He
    gave me a very different forecast. I trust him and I will continue on
    my way." So he continued on his way.

However, a short time later, an absolutely torrential downpour of rain fell from the sky.
    The King and Queen were totally soaked and, well, their entourage chuckled upon
    seeing them in such a shameful condition.

Rather furious, the King soon returned to the palace and gave the order to sack
    the professional upon immediate effect.

He then summoned the farmer and offered him the prestigious and high paying role
    of royal forecaster.

But the farmer said, "Your Majesty, I do not know anything about
    forecasting. I obtain my information from my donkey. If I see my
    donkey's ears drooping, it means with certainty that it will rain."

So the King by-passed him and hired the donkey.

And thus began the practice of hiring dumb *sses to work in the
    government and occupy its highest and most influential positions.

And what's more, the practice is unbroken to this date...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement