Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Rubecula wrote: »
    good girl. ye'll do fer me, grab yer coat lass ye just pulled :D

Crikey! And I wasn't even trying. In fact, I was trying to repel, not pull! I see you obviously prefer cheap dates! biggrin.png
    BrensBenz wrote: »
    I sent millions....and all to JB1! Disguised handwriting; drawings; poetry; toured Leinster posting them so that the post marks would be different, etc., all to preserve secrecy.

Oh well, life is hard! But at least the Woof still loves me. And I found a stash of Jaffa Cakes today. And, hey, it's Pancake Day tomorrow. What do yiz put on your pancakes? I used to spread buhher and squirt lemon juice all over mine but, last year, I experimented with home-made blackberry jam. Todally ossum and seriously nyom nyom.

Dear Frankie,
    When I was growing up, me Mammy would prepare the batter on the day before Pancake Tuesday - apparently it was either a sin or very unlucky to make pancakes from batter less than 24 hours old. However, Mrs. BrensBenz does not adhere to this convention - batter is prepared and poured into the pan on the same day. Are we doomed and damned?

I don't eat pancakes, but other family members usually put honey on them, nothing else will do I'm told. Regarding the 24 hour thing, I don't do that either, its mixed and cooked all in one go. But I have heard many years ago that they used to wait until they could see the penicillin forming on the surface before they would make the pancakes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My mum used leave the batter for an hour or so in a cool place for the wheat to swell (or something). I tend to manage about ten minutes at most. If I remember to make them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Just made 4. The first was too big, as I put too much batter in the pan

The second flew apart when I tossed it and bits went everywhere except back in the pan

The third was burned and blackened

The fourth was stuck to the pan and I had to scrape it off.

Pancakes? Bugger that for a game of soldiers, I will have a cuppa and a rich tea biscuit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I HATE doing pancakes :mad: His Lordship brought a few packs of readymade ones from Tesco. 30 seconds in the microwave...job done. Of course they don't actually taste like pancakes but who cares? The small man loved them :D

Re the Valentines thingy...I forgot all about it until evening time when himself presented me with 4 rice crispie buns with my tay...lovely they were! I had to make my own tay though.
    Who said romance was dead?

Posted this in YLYL:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94248637&postcount=6048

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Hmmm, buurrrrppp! Pancake Day just (ahem) creped up on us.......baaarrrrppp.......(rumble).......buuurrrrppp.......

Tried one with buuuurrrrppp grated cheese - new baarrrppp favourite. Kitchen stinks now (rumble) but, as buuurrrppp usual, I beat all-comers - daughter and her boyfriend wussed out after (rumbllllllle) nine each. Two pans on the go (rumble); Woof waiting baaarrrppp for ill-judged tossing; intense buurrppp debate about pancakes being health food / five a day / dairy products, etc.

You know, baaarrrppp some people (rumble) don't buuurrrpp wait until Pancake barrrpppp Day to make pan-burp-cakes. Damn permissive society!

PS: I asked the Mammy about buuurrrppp the 24 hour thing. Apparently, (rumble) new batter gives you baaarrrppp wind. Old burp wives tales, eh?

• Advertisement

Saw on TV that pancakes can be made savoury instead of sweet and they showed a salmon pancake where they used a tin of cheap slamon. Apparently everyone thought it was delicious.

I can not even make a normal one lol

Well, there's always next year! :)

Slight change of subject: just came across this and thought yiz might enjoy it.

When I first tried playing Irish music on my £4-19-11 plywood guitar, I was admonished for changing the tempo. These young ladies are just copying me......honest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjFv3RjcKBk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Slight change of subject: just came across this and thought yiz might enjoy it.

When I first tried playing Irish music on my £4-19-11 plywood guitar, I was admonished for changing the tempo. These young ladies are just copying me......honest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjFv3RjcKBk

Harpies! :D

That was very pretty Brens but after two minutes I got very bored. Don't know if I'm right but it seemed to me that all those harpists were playing exactly the same thing, no changes or harmonies to lift it a bit. But then, I'm no musician, so what would I know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Jeez, pretty bad out there this morning. Time for this little Hen to head to the sun:cool:. I'll leave a note for Matron and send ye a postcard:D

Layinghen wrote: »
    Jeez, pretty bad out there this morning. Time for this little Hen to head to the sun:cool:. I'll leave a note for Matron and send ye a postcard:D

Grrrrrr!! :mad::mad::mad:

HMMMMMMMM Roast hen?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    That was very pretty Brens but after two minutes I got very bored. Don't know if I'm right but it seemed to me that all those harpists were playing exactly the same thing, no changes or harmonies to lift it a bit. But then, I'm no musician, so what would I know?

That's exactly why I can't listen to "correct" Irish diddildy dido music. A bunch of similar-sounding instruments, all playing the same note, at more or less the same time, with no attempt to add harmonies! And (usually) any indication of the musicians actually enjoying themselves is banned. The law says they must appear to be enduring terminal boredom.

Oh well! Great tune, eh? And at least harps are easier to listen to than bagpipes! And isn't it nice to see a gaggle of young people, after thousands of hours of practice, playing a difficult instrument? Not to mention having to lug a gynormous harp around!

That's exactly why I can't listen to "correct" Irish diddildy dido music. A bunch of similar-sounding instruments, all playing the same note, at more or less the same time, with no attempt to add harmonies! And (usually) any indication of the musicians actually enjoying themselves is banned. The law says they must appear to be enduring terminal boredom.

Oh well! Great tune, eh? And at least harps are easier to listen to than bagpipes! And isn't it nice to see a gaggle of young people, after thousands of hours of practice, playing a difficult instrument? Not to mention having to lug a gynormous harp around!

need a good drum or two to liven a tune up for me but that is just me

Or maybe even an 'oul bodhran wouldn't go amiss, played proper like. I find it difficult to listen to diddily-eye music as well, however I have been happy to listen to the odd piece played by the Chieftans, and I have a soft spot for the song 'Carrickfergus' but it has to be sung by Brian Kennedy and nobody else. For me, music has to make my heart take flight......and diddily-eye just won't do it. I'm just an 'oul romantic soul.......me! :p

For Jellybaby and anyone else that likes this kind of thing :)

need a good drum or two to liven a tune up for me but that is just me
    Or maybe even an 'oul bodhran wouldn't go amiss :p

One of my heroes, Seamus Ennis, (yes, I know he played pipes but uilleann pipes are to bagpipes what fine cuisine is to a Big Mac) thought that the ideal implement for playing a bodhran was a "pen-knife"!

I like a bit of Celtic goatskin syncopation too but only if the player knows his / her stuff, e.g. what the wires at the back of a bodhran are actually for. My granda often played on 2RN (with Mrs. BrensBenz's granda) and, as a child, one of his buddies mesmerised me with a bodhran. He could make his bodhran sing notes!!!

Or maybe even an 'oul bodhran wouldn't go amiss, played proper like. I find it difficult to listen to diddily-eye music as well, however I have been happy to listen to the odd piece played by the Chieftans, and I have a soft spot for the song 'Carrickfergus' but it has to be sung by Brian Kennedy and nobody else. For me, music has to make my heart take flight......and diddily-eye just won't do it. I'm just an 'oul romantic soul.......me! :p
    For Jellybaby and anyone else that likes this kind of thing :)

Aarrgh! No, Rube, You must not have heard me, that's deffo not for me! Make it stop! Please! Make it stop! The fairies have bewitched that music and it will take me awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Bye bye then JB!

• Advertisement

Jeepers. Thanks A LOT, Looksee! :(Sniffle!

Don't worry Jellybaby I'm still your pal:)

No use, she's in fairyland!

Come back Jellybaby .............. I lurve ya XXXXXXX

Fairies ye say hmmm had a think and came up with this especially fer ye :)

Tis in gaelic ye know.

Fairies ye say hmmm had a think and came up with this especially fer ye :)

Tis in gaelic ye know.

Waylander??????? Sons of Horslips, more like. Now, where are my bell-bottoms and two-tone platform shoes?

I'm with Brens on this one. Horslips ftw (as the young people would say:D)

Had to look it up once -it means For The Win!!!!!!!

Search Youtoob for Horslips and King of the Fairies, it sounds better. Tbh I didn't know what Ftw meant, what on earth does 'for the win' mean? Imho that's daft! Wouldn't it serve the young better to just learn a bit of Pitman or Gregg shorthand. :D I still use my Pitman! :p

Search Youtoob for Horslips and King of the Fairies, it sounds better.

In these politically correct days, can we still say "King of the Fairies"? Perhaps "democratically-elected leader of the Guild of Collectors of Children's Teeth"?

Bet yiz thought I was going somewhere else with that!

PS: My tooth fairies used to leave me 3 old pennies per tooth. Anybody know what the toll is now? Is it still a coin or have they gone to folding money? And where are all of the houses they built with my teeth?

Brenz I can tell you where there are lots of fairy houses, though I am not sure whether they were built with teeth. I headed off with the son and dil and two grandchildren (girls) for a walk in the Ann Valley between Dunhill and Annstown in Waterford on Sunday. Very nice walk on a path developed by the extraordinarily enterprising people of the Copper Coast. What this small group of scattered communities has done is absolutely amazing.

Anyway they developed this walk but to the delight of the children, here and there along the path, on trees, up cliffs and under benches the fairies have taken up residence. Every few hundred yards there is a fairy door which you can find if you are very observant. This results in the children chasing along looking for them and being far too entertained to be bored by the walk. Brilliant!

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Every few hundred yards there is a fairy door which you can find if you are very observant. This results in the children chasing along looking for them and being far too entertained to be bored by the walk. Brilliant!

I'll add that to my list of "must go to" places. Camera and walking boots are ready.

Mrs. BrensBenz (Leader of the Opposition) and I go to Iceland regularly. No, not THAT Iceland! Immediately on leaving Reykjevik, the road meanders through almost brand new mountains, with mini icebergs in little rivers and steam shooting from the ground. "So what", I hear you say. Well, little "doors" are visible in rocky outcrops. Brightly decorated, some even have flowers! These are troll houses and, as you know, trolls are nasty little so-and-sos. They pick their noses and never say their prayers. The presence of trolls deters ramblers from being poached in the geothermal pools (technospeak for bluddy hot water).

Good thing there are no trolls in Ireland but I can't help thinking there's something fishy about our local tooth fairies. They've been collecting teeth for millions of years so there should be whole cities of tooth-built houses by now. My Grannie told me that they build "down the country"......but where???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement