Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

[IMG][/img]picture.php?albumid=2195&pictureid=15337

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

What do you do with what you're weaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I had a loom similar to that for about 6 months and never managed to get it working. It was being thrown out of a college and looked interesting enough for me to nab out of the skip. This was the days before interweb tubes 'n stuff so all my attempts were trial & error, mostly error.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Chucken wrote: »
    What do you do with what you're weaving?

Not a lot really, I am more interested in the process, I am not a weaver. What has been done there I am going to un-weave as the warp (the down threads) take so long to set up that it is easier to just undo it (I want to take more photos of the process and missed a stage when I was doing it before.) You really wouldn't use one of those kind of looms if you just wanted woven fabric, it is far too slow and hard work, and too easy to make mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

looksee wrote: »
    Wojamean 'folksy' ?!! this is history and archaeology and stuff. Well yes, and its me dressed up in my medieval kit but still. Folksy, Hmph! I will see if I can find you a pic. :eek:

Folksy Schmoksy, what the hey, it'll all Latin to me anyway.
    Chucken wrote: »
    Hippy. She meant hippy, didnt you Jelly :D

Nope! I think I meant more along the lines of 'dippy!! Har har! No offence ever intended Looksee. ;)

Love the photo Looksee. When you finish looming yer warp, show us a photo of it! Youse monks are all the same, just want to be the centre of attention!

• Advertisement

No problem with 'dippy' JB :D

Yeah, 'dippy' sorta describes the whole tribe here in O & O's. 'Tis pleasant to be 'dippy' with everyone else here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

And on that note, I'm putting on the kettle and opening a bottle:D

We'll toast ourselves........

As I raise my milky, sugary, cup of tea.......here's to us all, good health, happiness, and everlasting good humour! Down the hatch!

Cheers Jelly. (Needless to say there is no milk or sugar in my little tincture;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Try coffee without milk but laced with Baileys Yummy and it is warming

Try hot chocolate laced with Baileys and a measure of cointreau. :cool:

No milk, no sugar! Sure that's not tea atall atall. That's just water and dried leaves! And as for Rube's and OG's recipes, well I've given up on those two by now! They're past saving. :rolleyes:

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    And as for Rube's and OG's recipes, well I've given up on those two by now! They're past saving. :rolleyes:
    sheep2.jpg

You mean, there's still hope for me??:D

Anyone who drinks tea (of any kind :rolleyes:) is OK with me!

Quiet partial to a Long Island Iced Tea;):D:D

No milk, no sugar! Sure that's not tea atall atall. That's just water and dried leaves! And as for Rube's and OG's recipes, well I've given up on those two by now! They're past saving. :rolleyes:

What a wicked aspersion to cast on such upright citizens
    Drunk%20in%20Gutter.jpg-400x300.jpg

OG still thirsty by the look of things however me? Well I have had enough

drunk-squirrel.jpg

Your looking well there Rubes:D:D

That poor chap with his chin in the gutter. I can't laugh at that. That's very sad. I checked the recipe for Long Island Iced Tea, even the 'splash of cocoa cola' wouldn't entice me to drink it. Didn't Penny give one of those to Sheldon once?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

I made this warp weighted loom, and while I was researching it I found that a lot of small cylinderical (medieval) animal bones had been found in Waterford and no-one knew what they were for, though they had evidence of fibre polishing on the insides. So while I was sorting the loom I had a thought about how these bones might have been used. I tried it and ta-daaaa it improved the way the loom worked by a significant amount. I was asked to demo the loom at an experimental archaeology conference in UCD last month, and the theory went down quite well. :D

this is very interesting, looksee, thanks also for the photo!
    interesting with the warp-weighted loom, did it work well for you, and well done on deducing what the animal bones were used for,
    have bones like this been found at many sites in Ireland? are they from medieval times?

Apparently they have been found at numerous Norse sites here, in the UK and Scandinavia. Yes, the loom worked much better with them in place! Thank you for your kind words :)

looksee I have to admit to being impressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

There I was, just trying to catch up with all of this archae-history-techno-osteo stuff when a fleet of artic trailers, with their own forklist trucks, arrived at BrensBenz Manor, full of Valentine cards. Whooda thought that so many women (and, I suspect, some men) still find me irresistible, in my chemo hair-do and Superman dresssing gown? Mrs. BrensBenz hasn't spoken to me for nearly two days now. Whoooopeee I mean oh dear.

Anyway, Google Earth is showing a huge bare area where trees were felled to produce these Valentine cards and we've had to convert the east wing to a storage and sorting area - it's now pretty much unaccessible to all but small, double-joined children. It also smells like a perfume factory. I'm going to need a green bin the size of a Tesco superstore to dispose of these cards in an environmentally friendly manner.

So, for all of the Boards oul wans who sent me a card, muchos gratiasiasias. I found some of the poetry a little blue but I blame that on my sheltered childhood. Now, IF ONLY yiz had signed them or included a return address or sat nav co-ordinates......

Strangely I had hired a small warehouse to house the anticipated St Valentines cards. However I feel that my address must have been misinterpreted. (Or maybe there was a mail train robbery) as none did arrive on time.

I also suspect that all those wonderful gifts (Even Chucken's soup) must have been had away by evil minded Postal workers. I know this to be true because I realise how irresistible my good honest, intelligent and handsome visage is.

(* Goes off to sing a quick chorus of "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way")

Never mind my dear friends, you are of course forgiven for being a little late with your postage and I will await the deliveries tomorrow.

PS I do hope you all had a wonderful romantic/drunken/exciting/relaxing weekend. :)

Don't even bother looking for my valentine's card Rube, or Brens, or any of ye male men in here. It will not arrive for 'twas never sent. I do not do Valentine's Day. I do not do Halloween. I just about do Christmas. Mother's Day is a thing of the past. Father' Day is not on my calendar. And oh yes, I forgot himself's birthday too. So boo-yah to da lot of ye! :P And I'm the cute cuddily-wuddily loveable one in here. :rolleyes:

Don't even bother looking for my valentine's card Rube, or Brens, or any of ye male men in here. It will not arrive for 'twas never sent. So boo-yah to da lot of ye

Waaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh..........sniff....snork....waaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh......................snork.......

Where's my Leonard Cohen album? Coldplay???? That'll do. Snork........waaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

Really Brenz, pull yourself together! Such an exhibition! Come to think of it, how many valentines did you send?

Don't even bother looking for my valentine's card Rube, or Brens, or any of ye male men in here. It will not arrive for 'twas never sent. I do not do Valentine's Day. I do not do Halloween. I just about do Christmas. Mother's Day is a thing of the past. Father' Day is not on my calendar. And oh yes, I forgot himself's birthday too. So boo-yah to da lot of ye! :P And I'm the cute cuddily-wuddily loveable one in here. :rolleyes:

good girl. ye'll do fer me, grab yer coat lass ye just pulled :D

• Advertisement

Really Brenz, pull yourself together! Such an exhibition! Come to think of it, how many valentines did you send?

I sent millions....and all to JB1! Disguised handwriting; drawings; poetry; toured Leinster posting them so that the post marks would be different, etc., all to preserve secrecy.

Oh well, life is hard! But at least the Woof still loves me. And I found a stash of Jaffa Cakes today. And, hey, it's Pancake Day tomorrow. What do yiz put on your pancakes? I used to spread buhher and squirt lemon juice all over mine but, last year, I experimented with home-made blackberry jam. Todally ossum and seriously nyom nyom.

Dear Frankie,
    When I was growing up, me Mammy would prepare the batter on the day before Pancake Tuesday - apparently it was either a sin or very unlucky to make pancakes from batter less than 24 hours old. However, Mrs. BrensBenz does not adhere to this convention - batter is prepared and poured into the pan on the same day. Are we doomed and damned?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement