Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The only way to quit is to stop. From tomorrow you are not a smoker. If you pick up a ciggy again then you are becoming a smoker. There is no grey area, you are or you arn't. After that it's just willpower.
    I found the longing come in bouts of 7. Every 7 minutes, 7 hours, then 7 days, 7 weeks, 7 months. If you can survive the first week then it gets so much easier. And a week is a dawdle to quit for. :)
    Don't rely on gums or patches, they are just a crutch that keeps you thinking about smoking and a needless expense and (IMO) make it harder to stop. Willpower if enough.
    Whenever you get a craving and feel that you are about to cave in then give yourself 5 minutes. The craving will pass in that time and won't hit you again for a while. Then put it off for 5 mins again.
    Get something to do with your hands. Your hands also have a habit of holding the ciggy, flicking the ash, lighting up, stubbing out, opening packages, lightings lighters. They NEED something else to do. For some knitting helps. (Yes I did learn to knit). Get something small that fits in your posckt that you can fiddle with. I had a simple chain of 3 paperclips that I played with whenever I needed to.
    Most of all is concidering yourself a non-smoker from day one. When you get a craving remind yourself that you don't need a smoke BECAUSE YOU DON'T SMOKE. :)

In 3 years time when you have lost your need to inhale smoke I'll introduce you to cigars. :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Chucken, me auld China! As OldGoat just said, the only way is to stop completely. No patches, chewing gum or other snake oils ......... you'll merely substitute one for the other. In actual fact, once you are committed you are almost there. But you must realize that you are withdrawing from a narcotic. And a very addictive one.
    So, you've made your mind up ......... follow it through ......... don't feel sorry for yourself, and if possible don't get obsessed with telling everyone how hard it is. Just do it! Nice and quietly. You are in command of your own body - this includes your mind and your dopamine receptors. Tell them enough is enough and stick with it. It is not impossible!
    Don't worry about putting on a few pounds. Once you're in control of your life, you can sort that out later.
    Best of luck (and I'll be monitoring you closely). But not this week as am off to Canada 'til Sunday. Wehey!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Thanks lads :) I'm feeling more positive by the minute.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Good luck Chucken, as 'de boys' said cold turkey is the only way. Also you need to have really really thought it through and want to give up with every pore of your being... Use the motivation of your impending grandchild to keep you on the right track :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Nothing to add to that Chuck, except I wish you every success and lots of hugs.

• Advertisement

Ramette wrote: »
    Good luck Chucken, as 'de boys' said cold turkey is the only way. Also you need to have really really thought it through and want to give up with every pore of your being... Use the motivation of your impending grandchild to keep you on the right track :)

Its the new baby thats making me want to do this. I've never even thought about it till now. I'm determined to have a smoke free house before he/she arrives :)
    Rubecula wrote: »
    Nothing to add to that Chuck, except I wish you every success and lots of hugs.

Ohhhhh Rube hugs will get me through x :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Chucken, many congratulations on making that decision. Every good wish for the coming weeks/months/years. A baby on the way is the best excuse to do it. We're all rooting for you. What a great time to start knitting or crochet. You have to have at least one pair of bootees made for the new arrival! Get cracking missus. :)

Cant see myself taking up knitting to be honest :D

Those needles could become weapons by the end of the week!!!!

Just thought I'd share this little funny with you all:

1031_welshsign.jpg

Recently, Swansea council in Wales needed to erect a road sign warning advising lorry drivers to avoid a residential area. Being in Wales, the sign would have needed to be bilingual, so the council emailed a translation service to get a Welsh translation of the text, and upon receiving the reply, promptly printed it on a sign and put it up. Only after the sign had gone up did people point out that the text was an out-of-office auto-reply:

All official road signs in Wales are bilingual, so the local authority e-mailed its in-house translation service for the Welsh version of: "No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only".
    Unfortunately, the e-mail response to Swansea council said in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated".

Which leaves a few questions unanswered: are there really so few Welsh speakers in Swansea that the council couldn't find one on staff to run the sign past? And surely a translation service would have made their out-of-office messages bilingual.

Unfortunately the Welsh language is not spoken very much in South Wales. It is not really spoken in Liverpool either yet when tesco got new signs for their Tesco Extra store in the city centre, they were in Welsh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Ah! God be with the days.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Merrion sq is a good place to be today with this festival on

http://www.spwc.ie/

:eek: Think I'll just stay in my cave today!

Has anyone noticed the infiltrators recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm infiltrating back again. I was missing there for a bit. I know, no-one noticed. Well I'm back...

Good luck Chucken, go for it!

Naw, I meant those others, what crept in the back door, have you seen 'em yet (in another thread)? Young 'uns I'd hazard a guess. If we give them some milk and bickies maybe they will behave.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Naw, I meant those others, what crept in the back door, have you seen 'em yet (in another thread)? Young 'uns I'd hazard a guess. If we give them some milk and bickies maybe they will behave.

It didn't work on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Unfortunately the Welsh language is not spoken very much in South Wales. It is not really spoken in Liverpool either yet when tesco got new signs for their Tesco Extra store in the city centre, they were in Welsh :pac:
    dont need to go to wales to see funny signs,when living in bury my road was called clop clod street ,that was because the mill workers years ago when walking to work on the cobbles it would sound like clop clod,then there is a road not far from where i lived called pats wifes house road,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So where did Pat live?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

looksee wrote: »
    So where did Pat live?
    these road names go far back in time,and i have often thought the same thing,i would guess knowing people of that time ,the pub

• Advertisement

Should we start a Find Pat search?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

483267_10151116984495336_855502943_n.jpg

There is a rational explanation but fecked if I can remember it. :cool:

Photo credit to the lovely Hector Heathwood. /Doffs hat

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Heimlich manouvre???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

Heimlich manouvre???
    Nope.

Next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Cripes Alice! You're very dismissive of poor old Rubecula. You know the Welsh are so sensitive!

Spread wrote: »
    Cripes Alice! You're very dismissive of poor old Rubecula. You know the Welsh are so sensitive![/QUOTE]

They may well be..good job Rube is an Englishman then :p

OG...I dunno what to say to you ;)

Well in future any time OG is in the house I am keeping my back against the wall :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

Spread wrote: »
    Cripes Alice! You're very dismissive of poor old Rubecula. You know the Welsh are so sensitive!
    Ah Rube, my precious, I did't mean to upset you. However, trust me, that is not the heimlich manoeuvre - those are not her heimliches!

Well if it isn't the Heimlich Manouvre it is a very thorough way of taking a pulse.

*Rubes can be very naive in his sweet young innocent way*

• Advertisement

Maybe the unfortunate woman was sold an ill fitting brassier and OG was just trying to carry out some adjustments in order to balance out the appendages...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement