Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

/wanders in. bowtie akimbo . trailing party streamers and sporting a collection of lipstick marks on collar.
    Ahoyhoy everyone. Has Nurse turned down my bed for me?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

/Hides :eek:

Nurse is waiting for you

nurse2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Delicious. She looks feisty. I like that.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hi there OG, did you have a nice time? (need I ask!) Do you fancy a bowl of soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Blimey OG that must have been a really wild trip you went on.

this-is-a-special-guy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Goodnight and Good Moaning :)

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho, it's off to work I go

With Sams and Tea

And a right stiff knee

And a Black Nail on my Toe!

Apologies to Larry Morey :D

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

OMG, Spread is snoring and I'm up! Such reversals are sinister....

WAS is the operative word! Youngest grandson stayed with us last night so he wanted Cartoon Channel at 6.30 ........... so have been watching TRANSFORMERS/SPONGEBOB/POKEMON/BEN10 since. My life is now complete :D

• Advertisement

Good day everyone :)

Are we all ready for the rugby?

Rugby? A game played by gentlemen with odd shaped balls. :D

Ah,how the lack of a comma can change the meaning of a sentence :p

Hey Cicero! People dropping their commas .......... any comments? Solar flares? The Second Coming? Jedward? We await your pronouncement. Peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Yea are all mad!

I am driving myself insane pondering do I take redundancy after 24 years or not, at this rate I will worry myself into an early grave!!!
    I'm off to bake... Enjoy the odd shaped balls :)

Don't know your personal details Ramette but if your house is easy on the mortgage, your bills are under control and you have enough to see you off to, er, Heaven ......... then if I were you I'd take the redundancy and run. As people get older they get a little bit insecure about how much money they need for their old age. In actual fact, you've done all your heavy spending in your early years. Banks buy into this sense of insecurity ........ emphasizing the drop in income after you retire. This is a total con. If your mortgage is down/near finished ....... you don't need a whole lot to live well. People that subscribe to these bank-driven fears are generally those that live within their means anyway ........... so the money saved is there for the next of kin to enjoy themselves with ........ or the bank have one less payout after the punter dies.
    I've got two female first cousins that retired early and they are having a ball (one retired about five years ago, the other about three).
    I retired about eighteen months ago at 61 (although have just started doing up our new house) and am delighted to have done so. HSH will retire in four years time ............. in the meantime there is a hot dinner awaiting her Monday to Friday :D.

Thanks for the advice Spread, still have a mortgage not huge by average standard these days but substantial enough, could pay it off with my redundancy but then would need to get a job straight away. I have no idea what I want to do job wise, if I had that figured out i would be gone like a shot... Have worked all my life since I left school so the thought of no job and no salary is freaking me out!

The cake turned out very well though... I can see me emotionally eating my way through the entire lot this evening:) thank god for chocolate cake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Spread wrote: »
    Hey Cicero! People dropping their commas .......... any comments? Solar flares? The Second Coming? Jedward? We await your pronouncement. Peace!

Dropped commas create such a mess that others have to clean up. In these socially responsible times people should really watch, if they had any sense which I doubt considering nurse left the drugs cabinet open, be more careful, especially around restrictive clauses...:p

Ramette wrote: »
    Yea are all mad!

I am driving myself insane pondering do I take redundancy after 24 years or not, at this rate I will worry myself into an early grave!!!
    I'm off to bake... Enjoy the odd shaped balls :)

If you feel you could retrain over the period of a few years, it could be a great move and a new chapter. If you're getting 3 weeks plus statutory like them bankers it could open a lot of doors for you.

Best of success with the decision. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Ramette wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Spread, still have a mortgage not huge by average standard these days but substantial enough, could pay it off with my redundancy but then would need to get a job straight away. I have no idea what I want to do job wise, if I had that figured out i would be gone like a shot... Have worked all my life since I left school so the thought of no job and no salary is freaking me out!

My own advice is, do not retire! I was made redundant three years ago. I immediately had a new full time hobby, searching for a new job. I got one interview in those three years. I have now given up all hope of getting another job and I have done a few courses which haven't helped at all. I did have a temporary job for three months but that's all. There are few jobs for the 400,000 or so unemployed. I heard from a university graduate recently that Phd's are also useless. Do not depend on being able to get another job it may never happen. I have been on the jobs forum here and was getting lots of support and advice, until I dropped the bombshell about my age, then the support and advice suddenly dried up (as I expected). I applied for all sorts of jobs but I rarely got a reply.

There is a positive side and negative side to being early-retired. The most positive is all that time to catch up on stuff you never had time for. The negative side for me personally is the lack of money. Everytime we spend something I know we can't replace that money and savings are dwindling, which scares the hell out of me as we have 5-6 years to go before himself retires, but there is also the danger he may be made redundant too. Also, my memory has dulled faster than I had anticipated. I often can't remember what day it is and some days I won't remember and eventually I have to check the date on the newspaper - that's bad. It happens too regularly now. A friend who retired last year said exactly the same thing, that she was sharper while she was in work.

That's my two cents worth anyway.

Thanks for the advice folks, it is very much appreciated. I know ultimately I have to make the decision but it is good to get to listen to the various opinions.

• Advertisement

Dum de dum, dum de dum, dum de dum,mmm,mm m mmm mm, bored, bored, bored, bored, bored. No-one home here, I will have a shifty somewhere else so. Gosh this place is looking a bit tatty, should we decorate or move?

What are doing out of bed? Nurseeeeeeeeeee

Nurse was AWOL and didn't notice I had slept all afternoon, now I am wide :eek: awake! Back to the scratcher for a go a zzzzzzzedding again. Have you SEEN all the dust and cobwebs in this room?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Nurse was AWOL and didn't notice I had slept all afternoon, now I am wide :eek: awake! Back to the scratcher for a go a zzzzzzzedding again. Have you SEEN all the dust and cobwebs in this room?

Im meant to be able to see at 2.30am? Well thats news to me :confused:

Spread when you eventually arrive in, will you heat up some of my "special" soup for JB and bring it in to her please. She'll nod off then ;)

Gotcha Chucken ........ Senfsuppe mit Trockeneis steht vor der Tur!

Gute Nacht und Guten Morgen! :)

I meant the one with the drop of the quare stuff in it :eek:

Have a great day everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Oh dear, sorry Chuck I thought it was waxoil for the car. Never mind though there is still some left if nobody notices the odd bit of brush floating in it.

By the way.

WTG Leinster. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh such glorious sunshiningness! Been out in the garden and the peace is mighty. (Ah, just realised I never put my hearing aid in :rolleyes: no wonder its quiet!)

Just having a sammij and a cuppa and I shall go and do a bit more. I have a load of paperwork to do so I have great incentive to do the garden jobs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I experienced Summertime today between 12.30pmand 1.40pm. It was lovely and warm, sun was shinning. Now it's back to clouds and cooler air.

However, I will always look back with fondness on the Summer of 2012:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement