Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Actually question for anyone who does have a pump, what did you do with regard to insuring it??

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Actually question for anyone who does have a pump, what did you do with regard to insuring it??

I haven't done anything. Most pumps are under warranty for 4 years so if it breaks the company have to replace it. As for losing it? That's not very likely as I wear it 24/7 except in the shower!

But I would love to hear from people who have insured their pumps and what their reasons were. Maybe I'm not considering something important.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stinkybum

Mine is on the house insurance. I think its important as they have known to go missing. I've heard of them falling down loos, being stood on, being taken during a mugging, in my case - nearly being destroyed by a thicko airport security guard.
    Its added nothing to the premiums but if it does break or go missing, it can be replaced pretty quickly on insurance.

stinkybum wrote: »
    Mine is on the house insurance. I think its important as they have known to go missing. I've heard of them falling down loos, being stood on, being taken during a mugging, in my case - nearly being destroyed by a thicko airport security guard.
    Its added nothing to the premiums but if it does break or go missing, it can be replaced pretty quickly on insurance.

Yeah, I was talking to the rep only a few minutes ago (insulin start!!!) and she recommended just to put it on the house insurance, to the value of about €3500, for fear that it'd be stolen. She mentioned instances of it being stolen while someone was swimming because it was in a pouch so it could've been mistaken for a phone or a camera. She said if anything did arise Medtronic could have a pump to your door in a max of 24hrs (but on average it takes 8) and they'd sort out with the insurance after.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

I put my son's pump (Animas Vibe) on the house insurance too. It only cost a few quid, which is well worth the peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Ours cost about €50 to put on the house insurance (123.ie), I must investigate if there's some cheaper gadget insurance out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Guys,

Can I ask is anyone using the Medtronic pump with the GSM and sensors?

Husband has Dexcom and very happy with its accuray etc...

Hopefully getting a pump by the new year with the GCM but the only one he can get is the Medtronic and we have heard the sensors are not very accurate etc?

He could get the vibe that works with the Dexcom but sensors are GBP 70 per week... would be better if LTI covered it.

any feedback from the medtronic with GCM is much appreciated...

Cheers guys

graflynn wrote: »
    Myself & my friend, Rebecca Flanagan have been putting our heads together about a type 1 only conference in Ireland. We have a lot of enthusiasm but we're unsure of how much interest there would be in this type of event.

So, we've put a little survey together to guide us and if you are a person with type 1 or a parent of a child with t1, we would really appreciate some of you taking some time to fill it out. Thank you in advance.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1iC7yeb0dxI0W5hPstkSJ8Ctu9j_D78ToZJJtgQJ0zRc/viewform

I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to fill this out. We have have a huge response. It's definitely something people are interested in and we will keep you all posted....

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Hi all, just saying hello. I have just been told i have diabetes at the age of 34 so you will probably be seeing more of me in here :)

At the moment I'm waiting to see an endocrinologist to figure out what is going on but from looking at my bloods (2x fasting and 1x glucose load and 1x hba1c?) my GP reckons its type 1so I'm sure i will be here asking a lot of questions :)

anyhow just wanted to pop in and say hi!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

bd2012 wrote: »
    anyhow just wanted to pop in and say hi!
    Welcome, hows it going so far?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Welcome, hows it going so far?

Thank you. It's going good so far, obviously the news was a bit of a shock to me, especially as I was feeling generally healthy and had no symptoms at all.

At the moment I'm in the inbetween time of being told and seeing someone to do something about it. Have an appointment with an endocrinologist next week so will shed some light on the matter I hope.

My fasting bloods were 18 and 19 one week later with a glucose load test of 23!!! Crazy that I didn't feel anything unusual with that.

It's kinda funny too how after you have been told you have something that can make you fatigued how fatigued you can begin to feel. The mind is a crazy and beautiful thing at times.

Anyway good to see there is a forum here for this. I am sure I will have many questions as things develop

Thanks again

My fasting bloods were 18 and 19 one week later with a glucose load test of 23!!! Crazy that I didn't feel anything unusual with that.

Your body adapts to these levels alot better than it should, these levels will start to fatigue you once you get used to have levels in the normal range again. The bigger concern is the long term damage it is doing rather than the short term IMO. Have you been started on any treatments? Do you have any other symptoms (if you don't mind telling) mine was excessive thirst/urination.

Your body adapts to these levels alot better than it should, these levels will start to fatigue you once you get used to have levels in the normal range again. The bigger concern is the long term damage it is doing rather than the short term IMO. Have you been started on any treatments? Do you have any other symptoms (if you don't mind telling) mine was excessive thirst/urination.

No havent been started on anything yet. I think my gp is anxious that the endocrinologist makes that call as to what treatment I will be getting. My gp also said that if he was pushed on it that he thinks I have type 1 which I never thought could develop this late (I am 34) so next Wednesday is d-day for me.

I had no symptoms whatsoever either, actually was going to the doc about back pain, which is a seperate matter and got the bloods done as a general check. Felt healthy as a horse and my gp even told me that too (before the bloods came back) was swimming up to 1k 4 or 5 times a week and my diet is pretty good.

I just wonder how long my glucose levels have been like this without me knowing. So for now I have cut out sugar and I'm watching the carbs but I'm still going to enjoy my last weekend before being officially diabetic :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

In relation to the pump. Would this be an option that I would try and stay away from as long as possible?

Is it more for chronic diabetics or something that's becoming the norm?

No havent been started on anything yet. I think my gp is anxious that the endocrinologist makes that call as to what treatment I will be getting. My gp also said that if he was pushed on it that he thinks I have type 1 which I never thought could develop this late (I am 34) so next Wednesday is d-day for me.

I had no symptoms whatsoever either, actually was going to the doc about back pain, which is a seperate matter and got the bloods done as a general check. Felt healthy as a horse and my gp even told me that too (before the bloods came back) was swimming up to 1k 4 or 5 times a week and my diet is pretty good.

I just wonder how long my glucose levels have been like this without me knowing. So for now I have cut out sugar and I'm watching the carbs but I'm still going to enjoy my last weekend before being officially diabetic :)

Just an update - spent a couple of nights in hospital and my levels were high, hba1c of 110!! doc seems genuinely baffled as i am in his words 'as healthy as a lamb'. Started on janumet 50/1000 and i am now in the 8s and lowering as opposed to in the 20s 2 hours after a meal.

However i have noticed the last couple of days my BG is higher in the morning before breakfast than it is 2 hours after my main meal (around 8pm, dinner at 6) which seems strange to me.

Oh and as a side note while they were performing an ultrasound of my pancreas they found 3 kidney stones! Nice! again surprising as i had no pain or anything and they are supposed to be painful buggers!!

Just an update - spent a couple of nights in hospital and my levels were high, hba1c of 110!! doc seems genuinely baffled as i am in his words 'as healthy as a lamb'. Started on janumet 50/1000 and i am now in the 8s and lowering as opposed to in the 20s 2 hours after a meal.

However i have noticed the last couple of days my BG is higher in the morning before breakfast than it is 2 hours after my main meal (around 8pm, dinner at 6) which seems strange to me.

Oh and as a side note while they were performing an ultrasound of my pancreas they found 3 kidney stones! Nice! again surprising as i had no pain or anything and they are supposed to be painful buggers!!

With regard to the morning BG, it's very common, it's called the dawn phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

In relation to the pump. Would this be an option that I would try and stay away from as long as possible?

Is it more for chronic diabetics or something that's becoming the norm?

Definitely becoming more the norm especially in kids - but think it depends on what you're looking for.
    All the research I've done says you're better off on one - so I've asked for and been approved for one. My HbA1C is normally around 7.4 / 7.6 , so relatively stable /okay control, but I reckon I can get it down a bit more and hopefully the pump will help me achieve this! If it doesn't work or I don't like it, I'll just go back on the jabs

Do you attend a clinic? - if so the nurses will give you a good steer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I don't attend a clinic. I generally got to my consultant twice a year. I'm on diamicron/januvia twice a day but I'm noticing things like blurry vision and thirst a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I don't attend a clinic. I generally got to my consultant twice a year. I'm on diamicron/januvia twice a day but I'm noticing things like blurry vision and thirst a lot more.

Have you checked your ketones?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sounds like a little closer monitoring is called for.
    Seriously recommend you get an appointment for the clinic- or visit your consultant privately, a lot more frequently.
    When did you last have a HbA1C done?

• Advertisement

Hello, I would second the advice of going to your gp or consultant as soon as possible. What you are experiencing sounds like your symptoms are back and you shouldn't have those if you are being treated. Try and take action soon.

Do you get your bloods done for these appointments?

I just got a letter there from Medtronic, it's just to show the insurance company if they've any questions about insulin pumps, one of the things that shocked me (apart from the actual price of it, I knew that was mad already!) but VAT is levied on Insulin pumps at 23%!!! That's madness like it's hardly a luxury item, I would've always assumed medical devices get a VAT exemption!

Feeling frustrated!!

Been very strict on the diet side and on janumet for the last 2 weeks. Just did my test 2 hours after dinner and it's up a good bit. Had a good few beers on sat night so maybe it's that. Or could stress raise bg? Stressful time at work at the minute.

Just a bit annoyed at having been so strict with my diet to see that but I suppose it's a learning curve. Anyhoo. Just wanted to get that off my chest. Rant over and thank you!

Or could stress raise bg? Stressful time at work at the minute.
    Most definitely, anything that affects hormone levels can affect your BG.
    Just a bit annoyed at having been so strict with my diet to see that but I suppose it's a learning curve. Anyhoo. Just wanted to get that off my chest. Rant over and thank you!
    Let rip, good to let it out, safe to say we have all been there.

Thank you! Just good to get it off my chest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hi all, type 1 since 94. Ashamed to admit that I had my first clinic visit in about 9 years today. Thankfully there was no fire and brimstone approach from the good folk there. Anyway something I was told there was that there's a new law coming in that means that you'll have to test your BM before you drive. Anyone else heard about this?

P_1 wrote: »
    Hi all, type 1 since 94. Ashamed to admit that I had my first clinic visit in about 9 years today. Thankfully there was no fire and brimstone approach from the good folk there. Anyway something I was told there was that there's a new law coming in that means that you'll have to test your BM before you drive. Anyone else heard about this?
    Nearly all insurance policies where you declare your a diabetic have a requirement your BG is above 6, ergo if you don't check you have no cover. I think it's been in place since they were banned from loading Diabetics with good control.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Nearly all insurance policies where you declare your a diabetic have a requirement your BG is above 6, ergo if you don't check you have no cover. I think it's been in place since they were banned from loading Diabetics with good control.

Really? I used to work in insurance (albeit in the customer care department of a call center where training was minimal and you were generally given the mushroom treatment) and I never heard of that. Also I've always been told "no that's grand" when declaring my diabetes taking out insurance (of course that's probably a case of salespeople being salespeople). Must dig out the fine print.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

How long is that requirement to test your blood sugar before driving in?

The reason I ask is I had a hypo and crashed 11 years ago and never heard anything at all about that either before or after the claim. I assume there would be some onus on insurance companies to highlight that requirement at least once to any applicant?

Advertisement