Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but as a CGM user, I find my glucose testing has increased after going on the CGM. I probably test 5+ times a day at the moment on the CGM, and it's not just for calibration. The CGM is great, but it is not that accurate, nor is it necessarily real time. The CGM results can be out by 20% + or - which is a large margin all considered, and the way the CGM works, since it is not testing your blood per se, you need to test if the CGM tells you anything out of the norm. And since you see 288 CGM readings a day, you tend to track it rather closely, resulting in more tests.

The CGM as you say is trend analysis and should no way be used in place of a glucometer. My understanding is not so much that it is 20% out, as the readings are technically accurate, it is more that it is not a snapshot of your glucose levels at the time. I think at EASD they were claiming it was about 20 minutes delayed but also (and this is my own reasoning and probably fits in with your 20%) because you are correcting the lows before they do go to bad (hopefully) that they don't show up as severely in your tissue where you are taking the reading from.

This said I don't have one but I test a minimum of 10 times a day, often more, 50 strips will last me 3 to 4 days. Don't change the lancet each time though, will often use one lancet per box if not per week.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That 20% is from Medtronic documentation and I've found it to be close enough to be honest. Its all about trends, I wouldn't say its 20 minutes behind really, i would have guessed closer, but it is unbelievably handy for me.

Just for example, my CGM us telling me I'm 9.3 at the moment, a bit on the high side. just checked my blood sugar and its 14.3. Which is a crazy reading for me at this time of the morning....wonder what's up...but that's what you have to realise the CGM in no way replaces checking bloods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I have a CGM and have never been told it will be short term. As far as I'm concerned I'll be on it for the foreseeable future.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but as a CGM user, I find my glucose testing has increased after going on the CGM. I probably test 5+ times a day at the moment on the CGM, and it's not just for calibration. The CGM is great, but it is not that accurate, nor is it necessarily real time. The CGM results can be out by 20% + or - which is a large margin all considered, and the way the CGM works, since it is not testing your blood per se, you need to test if the CGM tells you anything out of the norm. And since you see 288 CGM readings a day, you tend to track it rather closely, resulting in more tests.

It is a game changer. It is the best advance forward I have ever had in my 16/17 years as a diabetic, but there was a couple of points I felt I should correct you on.

Alanstrainor - do you mind if i ask what CGM you are using?

Reason I ask is with a GCM there is a lag time of around 10 mins (with the Dexcom anyway) - with that said apart from the first day or readings (usually out by 15-20% for the first 24 hours), its pretty much bang on the money 95% of the time.

Its normal to test 4/5 times a day with the CGM, but my husband used to be testing 15 times a day prior to getting his Dexcom. While they are not 100% as they cant be as they measure the fluid between the muscle and not the blood like finger pricking they do give a massive sense of confidence in how he is feeling etc.

Also the actual gloucose monitors arent reliable either.. he tested on sunday three times in a row all MASSIVELY different readings... so while the CGM isnt perfect is def a massive step in the right direction

That 20% is from Medtronic documentation and I've found it to be close enough to be honest. Its all about trends, I wouldn't say its 20 minutes behind really, i would have guessed closer, but it is unbelievably handy for me.

Just for example, my CGM us telling me I'm 9.3 at the moment, a bit on the high side. just checked my blood sugar and its 14.3. Which is a crazy reading for me at this time of the morning....wonder what's up...but that's what you have to realise the CGM in no way replaces checking bloods.

do you mind if i ask what sensor "day" are you on?

As thats massively out TBH, havent had the same problem with the Dexcom as of yet - might be due to the fact that the longest he's used his senor for is 10 days to date.

also where do you have your sensor?
    Reason i ask is they are recommended for around the stomach (where he wears the Dexcom for now), but lots of people wear the Dexcom on the back of their upper arms or calves and as a result readings can be varied...

Just an idea :o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cocker5 wrote: »
    do you mind if i ask what sensor "day" are you on?

As thats massively out TBH, havent had the same problem with the Dexcom as of yet - might be due to the fact that the longest he's used his senor for is 10 days to date.

also where do you have your sensor?
    Reason i ask is they are recommended for around the stomach (where he wears the Dexcom for now), but lots of people wear the Dexcom on the back of their upper arms or calves and as a result readings can be varied...

Just an idea :o

Day = 2. And I never go beyond 5.

CGM was saying 9.3, but was trending upwards, so the CGM is now reading 14.0.

Sensor is on my stomach, but I've had great results from the top of my thighs.

Couldn't wear it on my back, I'm far too skinny for that carry on!

And I'm using the Minimed CGM. My example right now is a tad extreme, i tend not to find it that far off. But it goes to show that it should never be taken as completely accurate. Blood testers vary, but their level of accuracy is a lot higher. It should also be noted, that it's probably not a reasonable expectation for all of the blood in your body to have the same glucose levels at one time.

• Advertisement

Day = 2. And I never go beyond 5.

CGM was saying 9.3, but was trending upwards, so the CGM is now reading 14.0.

Sensor is on my stomach, but I've had great results from the top of my thighs.

Couldn't wear it on my back, I'm far too skinny for that carry on!

And I'm using the Minimed CGM. My example right now is a tad extreme, i tend not to find it that far off. But it goes to show that it should never be taken as completely accurate. Blood testers vary, but their level of accuracy is a lot higher. It should also be noted, that it's probably not a reasonable expectation for all of the blood in your body to have the same glucose levels at one time.

the thigh? good idea ill pass that on.. see how he gets on using it there!

stupid question but the trebnding arrow does it tell you your going up fast, really fast etc?

The Dexcom has a two arrow system... one arrow suggests hes going up meduim / fast (Dexcom usually still bang on here) and a double arrrow tells him he's going up really fast... and when the double arrows show then it can be out by 2 or 3 but not too often - hope that makes sense....

cocker5 wrote: »
    the thigh? good idea ill pass that on.. see how he gets on using it there!

stupid question but the trebnding arrow does it tell you your going up fast, really fast etc?

The Dexcom has a two arrow system... one arrow suggests hes going up meduim / fast (Dexcom usually still bang on here) and a double arrrow tells him he's going up really fast... and when the double arrows show then it can be out by 2 or 3 but not too often - hope that makes sense....

Yes exactly the same. One arrow, means you're trending upwards, and 2 means you're trending quickly upwards. I can also set rate alerts to alert me when I trend upwards/downwards too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I was going to reply to individual posts but the conversation seems to have gotten away from me before I got a chance to post!

Yeah 20% MARD sounds huge, but at an average BG of 7 then at least the standard deviation on it would only go to 5.6 or 8.4 which isn't hugely out in terms of an indication of current glucose levels and the range that you're within.
    I always knew it would be a guide as to glucose trend, and that's what I want it for really. To tell me what's happening with my readings and at what times so I can find some correlation and causation.

I never really thought that it would encourage me to test more, but when you put it like that, I probably will end up testing a bit more than the calibration required to get an exact reading if I am somewhat outside of my target range so that I can make the proper adjustments.
    Hopefully though it will result in a decrease in overall finger testing and eventually lead to better control.

I think the MARD on the Dexcom G4 is only 13%, so it is a little more accurate.
    I wonder is the delay and accuracy on CGM to do with the accuracy of the sensor or the accuracy of using the glucose in the interstitial fluid as a reading?

That's actually a good point on the Blood Glucose Monitors. The MARD on most devices ranges between 5% - 10%, so to get 13% with CGM on the Dexcom isn't much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Discovered this forum, and this page by accident. I usually stick to AH and the likes.

10 year type 2 veteran. Fell off the wagon about 6 months ago. Don't smoke or drink, but I could murder a box of mini rolls in a flash! Sugar is pure evil. A line of coke couldn't be as bad for me as a bag of jellies!!!!! Back on the wagon again now the last month. So sweet treats at all.

On a combination of januvia/diamicron daily and a dart of a pen if I feel the levels going to high. General indicators are dry mouth and blurry vision.

I'll keep coming back here to see what other ideas people are suggesting.

Welcome Preset No.3, I was just wondering about how you feel about staying off treats completely? I'm also wondering if you have ever done a type 2 diabetes educations course?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

graflynn wrote: »
    Welcome Preset No.3, I was just wondering about how you feel about staying off treats completely? I'm also wondering if you have ever done a type 2 diabetes educations course?

Most of the time it's a feast or famine. I, been a good catholic gave up sweets for lent one year. ;) I stayed away from all sweet treats for about 2 years. Then my mother passed away and I was back on the odd sweet treat, which became binges rapidly. After about 6 months I stopped again.

Honestly I find it best when I take nothing. After a while it doesn't both me. If I want a treat, I go savoury instead of sweet. It's rare that I get a hypo, but there always a bottle of lucozade around.

Sorry to be blunt but, courses, classes, clinics etc I find to be a load of arse! I go to my consultant twice a year and at times it's been a bit up and down, but for the most part I'm healthy enough all things considered. I suffer from selective eating disorder so I don't have a wide palette. Walk every day with my dogs. Probably could do with losing another stone but we'll get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Most of the time it's a feast or famine. I, been a good catholic gave up sweets for lent one year. ;) I stayed away from all sweet treats for about 2 years. Then my mother passed away and I was back on the odd sweet treat, which became binges rapidly. After about 6 months I stopped again.

Honestly I find it best when I take nothing. After a while it doesn't both me. If I want a treat, I go savoury instead of sweet. It's rare that I get a hypo, but there always a bottle of lucozade around.

Sorry to be blunt but, courses, classes, clinics etc I find to be a load of arse! I go to my consultant twice a year and at times it's been a bit up and down, but for the most part I'm healthy enough all things considered. I suffer from selective eating disorder so I don't have a wide palette. Walk every day with my dogs. Probably could do with losing another stone but we'll get there.

It still sounds like you're doing very well. It's the same for me, once you're away from something for a couple of weeks you don't really think of it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 paddyc310

Preset. Agree about the clinics etc just keeping the jobs going look at readings and the computer and tell you eat veg that grows above the ground that bull. I am diabetic for 20 yrs On insulin and new injection victosa in the last 3weeks those diabetic nurses are doing there best but you tell them you have bit of itch on your belly or anything they tell you go to gp. If you go to consultant twice yr that's all you need. My levels would be. Very high up to 18 20 cutting out the sugars now if I am not to late. Hope you can keep the sweets and buns and sugars away. And you will be fine good luck paddy ,,,,sugar ,,will,do ,the,damage,,,,I know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

paddyc310 wrote: »
    Preset. Agree about the clinics etc just keeping the jobs going look at readings and the computer and tell you eat veg that grows above the ground that bull.
    I'd go to another clinic, the nurses in my clinic, go through the bloods, analyse to see if their are patterns, go through a Qand A to identify potentia; causes, set up taske for you to complete before your next visit to test out the possible reasons etc.
    those diabetic nurses are doing there best but you tell them you have bit of itch on your belly or anything they tell you go to gp.
    TBF, if its not directly diabetes related, I can see their point, you are there for diabetes care, if they looked after every minor ailment, alot less of us would be seen. I have been told to go to my GP before as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Forgot to mention I had my first visit with the nurse concerning the pump there 2 weeks ago! Most of it I already knew or had seen before, she went over a bit about carb counting and gave me a food and BG diary to keep, which in fairness if I keep enough discipline to do it can be very useful in itself! I'm due to do the saline start sometime early next month with the full thing the week or so after, definitely a bit nervous about it, I've heard nothing but good things really but it still freaks me out a bit when push comes to shove but then again as I get older it's unlikely they'll be so forthcoming to let me start on a pump so I might as well give it a try now, and I'm sure I'll actually love it but just starting off is a bit intimidating!

On the topic of DSN's I was never the greatest fan of my one, like while she was extremely clued-in and useful if I did have any questions about diabetes; but she was just so caring that it came across to me as a bit condescending, in many ways I used feel I was infantalised by her whereas my consultant was a lot more business-like and more to the point. I'm sure for young children and elderly people that sort of caring attitude is really good but I really I didn't need to have the very basics of diabetes ran through every time I met her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I just started on the Accu-chek mobile meter this week. A brilliant little machine.

50 strips in a cartridge and each changed automatically after each test. The finger pricker is attached to the meter also and resets automatically each time. There is a cartridge of 6 lancets and each can be changed by pushing a lever on the side.

Best of all, there are no used strips left lying around and no more struggling to get my fingers into the boxes to get out a single strip. Happy days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Do you have a separate meter for ketones? We use the FreeStyle Optima that does both BG and ketones (but the accu-check lancet for finger pricking)

Yakuza wrote: »
    Do you have a separate meter for ketones? We use the FreeStyle Optima that does both BG and ketones (but the accu-check lancet for finger pricking)
    I still use urine strips for testing for ketones. And only about 3-4 times a year:o

I didn't know you could get a meter to test for ketones

We test for them once or twice a day sometimes :(
    My daughter's BG can go into the mid teens when she's sick, seems to have a perpetual cold these days.

Wonder can every diabetic get the new mobile meter I am on free style strips and the little bottle they come in is unreal have to turn bottle on its side and shake them out ,, that's not very hegenic ,any ideas about victosa don't feel right Taking it only started week ago thanks paddy

Wonder can every diabetic get the new mobile meter I am on free style strips and the little bottle they come in is unreal have to turn bottle on its side and shake them out ,, that's not very hegenic ,any ideas about victosa don't feel right Taking it only started week ago thanks paddy

The meters are free from the manufacturers. Just find one that suits you and get your doctor to alter your prescription for the new strips.

At least, that's what I have always done.

• Advertisement

Yes, they seem to use the Gillette model (Free shaver, charge for the blades) :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

My diabetic doctor told my my emergency hypo kit would probably expire before I used it. I threw this out yesterday. Totally forgot about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I would have quitr a few hypos due to other medical issues - hubby has had to give me the hypo treatment quite a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭banie01

any ideas about victosa don't feel right Taking it only started week ago thanks paddy

It can take a while for the side effects of Victoza to settle down.
    I'm on the 1.8mg dose, but starting off I started on 0.6 dose until the side effects settled then increased the dose to 1.2 until the side effects settled again and finally ramped up to the 1.8mg dose after @3 and a half weeks.
    The side effects while adjusting to the Victoza were fairly harsh, constant nausea and generally feeling ****e along with my appetite becoming non-existent!
    If you are having trouble adjusting to the dose speak to your diabetes team our Doc.
    But
    After the tritration they settled down, in my case and I must say Victoza has made a positive difference to me.
    My HbA1c, is down from a @7.0 that always took constant monitoring and tight control to an average to @5.7 with a concurrent reduction in stress from having much better control!
    I also lost @12 kilos in the 1st couple of months of using it but I'd say this was more due to appetite loss,
    I'm almost 10mths on Victoza now and happy with my outcome.

Hi beanie thanks for your info on victosa your control is good compared to mine my readings would be in the 10 to 20 range back eating more last week might need to increase dose Have not lost much weight will have better go this week still I think it's a help,,thanks again paddy,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My diabetic doctor told my my emergency hypo kit would probably expire before I used it. I threw this out yesterday. Totally forgot about it.

Eeek- with a 2007 expiration date- you probably had that for 10 years.......
    Thats remarkable!

Eeek- with a 2007 expiration date- you probably had that for 10 years.......
    Thats remarkable!

They really don't last that long anyway, I got mine 2 years ago and it's out the end of this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭banie01

5live wrote: »
    I just started on the Accu-chek mobile meter this week. A brilliant little machine.

Silly question, but how does one go about getting their hands on this meter?
    My Diabetes team seem to have a surfeit of One touch and Bayer Contour meters and whenever I ask for this model I am fobbed off.

banie01 wrote: »
    My Diabetes team seem to have a surfeit of One touch and Bayer Contour meters and whenever I ask for this model I am fobbed off.

I used use the Accu Chek Aviva Nano which was given to me by the hospital, I registered it online with Accu Chek and after a while they offered me a free Accu Chek Mobile, simple as that! You could try even sending them an email asking for one, they stand to gain a lot of money if you're using their consumables. If that doesn't work I know you can buy it in Boots (the bigger ones usually stock them and the small ones can order them in if you ask!) I think it's about €40 from Boots!

EDIT: Here it is on the Boots Website, €60 is definitely a bit pricey alright, it may well be worth your while just sending an email off to Accu Chek!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

banie01 wrote: »

If you contact the manufacturer of the meter you want they should send it to you for free. They make the real money on the strips.

Advertisement