Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Just wondering what infusion sets anyone using the medtronic pump are using? I've been using the quicksets for a few years now but I'm getting more and more bent cannulas.

I think it might be the inserter getting to the end of it's usable life. I've been on t'internet looking at the other sets available but I'm wondering are any of these in use here.

Any comments appreciated...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I haven't read every thread on this but has anyone recommended a paleo diet here yet. If you cut out all grains and only eat meat, seafood, fruit and veg you'll see huge improvements. It's grains, vegetable oils and obviously the sugary foods that are causing type two diabetes. So cut out bread, pasta, oats, barley, wheat, rice etc and the benefits will be dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

I haven't read every thread on this but has anyone recommended a paleo diet here yet. If you cut out all grains and only eat meat, seafood, fruit and veg you'll see huge improvements. It's grains, vegetable oils and obviously the sugary foods that are causing type two diabetes. So cut out bread, pasta, oats, barley, wheat, rice etc and the benefits will be dramatic.

... and jump off a tall building because life would be so dull. What's so bad about just eating less of everything and exercising more??? In my opinion it seems the less drastic of the two options but with the same effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

graflynn wrote: »

... and jump off a tall building because life would be so dull. What's so bad about just eating less of everything and exercising more??? In my opinion it seems the less drastic of the two options but with the same effect.

Well I've cut out grains for the most part and I have never felt better. If ever I was going to jump off a bridge it was before I cut out grains. Occasionally I might have grains if I'm out in a restaurant but for the most part I don't eat them. For breakfast i eat mixed frozen mixed
    Berries and banana in natural yoghurt and three soft boiled eggs, for lunch chicken and veg and for dinner either, beef, fish or pork and veg with a sweet potato. I eat until I'm hungry and never count calories. When you cut out grains your hormones work properly so you feel full when you should feel full.

The one thing that without doubt needs to be cut out for EVERYONE is gluten. It causes cancer, heart disease and autoimmune diseases.

Cutting out grains seems depressing because it's like telling a heroin addict to quit heroin. There are opiate like properties in some grains that create an addiction. Once the withdrawal phase ends you feel fantastic.

Well I've cut out grains for the most part and I have never felt better. If ever I was going to jump off a bridge it was before I cut out grains. Occasionally I might have grains if I'm out in a restaurant but for the most part I don't eat them. For breakfast i eat mixed frozen mixed
    Berries and banana in natural yoghurt and three soft boiled eggs, for lunch chicken and veg and for dinner either, beef, fish or pork and veg with a sweet potato. I eat until I'm hungry and never count calories. When you cut out grains your hormones work properly so you feel full when you should feel full.

The one thing that without doubt needs to be cut out for EVERYONE is gluten. It causes cancer, heart disease and autoimmune diseases.

Cutting out grains seems depressing because it's like telling a heroin addict to quit heroin. There are opiate like properties in some grains that create an addiction. Once the withdrawal phase ends you feel fantastic.

I eat a healthy well balanced diet that includes grains and I exercise for 30mins 5 times a week. I feel fantastic too! Therefore I don't see why I would try a grain-less diet. Maybe there is room for both eating plans in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Studies have linked these with people who already have been diagnosed with being a Coeliac, I have not seen any links to those who are not Coeliacs. A more rational (in my opinion, not fact) explanation is that those people who are gluten intolerant are more likely to aggrevate the immune system leading to other issues as you have described rather than gluten alone being the issue for everyone.

Are wholegrains not recommended for a healthy heart by the British Heart foundation?

Several wholegrains are already gluten free:
    Amaranth

Buckwheat

Corn

Millet

Montina (Indian rice grass)

Oats (Oats are inherently gluten-free, but are frequently contaminated with wheat during growing or processing)
    Quinoa

Rice

Sorghum

Teff

Wild Rice

(I ripped these of a website so feel free to correct them if I am wrong)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just reading thorough some stuff on the history of insulin and diabetes treatments today, 90 years since the first human injection of insulin.

Just came upon this article about a doctor who also happened to be diabetic, but wasn't sure about using new untested medicines before eventually giving himself some insulin.
    http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/Who_we_are/History/RD-Lawrence/

Seems that 20u as a first dose was a bit too much for a bolus and he went straight hypo before tweaking the dose a bit as they figured out what this new wonder drug actually did. :D

I guess we are still all experimenting a bit with figuring out our medications, but thankfully we are not doing it quite as ignorant of what happens as the guys in the 20's were doing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The scary bit is that they only knew what the hypo was because of having previously overdosed dogs with insulin in the discovery of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

robinph wrote: »
    The scary bit is that they only knew what the hypo was because of having previously overdosed dogs with insulin in the discovery of it.

Too true, but the very sad fact is that other creatures have suffered immensely for the 'greater good' in so many of our endeavours :(

On topic, i'm type 2, diagnosed about 14 months ago. I used to have a ridiculous sweet tooth (who doesn't?) before, but managed to kick it after a week of being panned out in hospital and it also being the 2010 Big Freeze (i cleared my cupboards and couldn't wander to the shop because of the ice).

Do folks use artificial sweetener much? I find it utterly offensive to the palette and would much prefer to sit with nothing at dessert time (for social occasions, i'm not saying there's a dessert time at mine every day!), than eat the diabetic substitute.

I used to have piles of sugar on everything, then I just stopped. Couldn't stand really sweet stuff now, although I do force myself to have the most outrageous desert whenever I'm eating out just because it's there.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    I used to have piles of sugar on everything, then I just stopped. Couldn't stand really sweet stuff now, although I do force myself to have the most outrageous desert whenever I'm eating out just because it's there.

How does that work out for you? I'm afraid of my sugar going too high (i don't use insulin so i've no quick fix to pull it back down in a hurry). I usually don't mind but it really got to me last Christmas day when my sister brought out the homemade triple chocolate cheese cake :eek:

I had an extra helping of garlic spuds for dessert instead :pac:

I suppose that is the ... and I hesitate to use the word... benefit of being on insulin. I can just dial up the appropriate numbers in the pump for whatever I'm eating and off I go. Of course not normally eating such sweet things the guestimate is always wrong, there is generally alcohol involved as well, and the numbers are often pretty wild after having something sweet whatever I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

How does that work out for you? I'm afraid of my sugar going too high (i don't use insulin so i've no quick fix to pull it back down in a hurry). I usually don't mind but it really got to me last Christmas day when my sister brought out the homemade triple chocolate cheese cake :eek:

I had an extra helping of garlic spuds for dessert instead :pac:

probably more carbs in the spuds, and a higher gi too!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

tbh wrote: »
    probably more carbs in the spuds, and a higher gi too!
    I find it hillarious that chocolate is not good for treating hypos!

I eat what I want but try to go low GI but if I am having high GI I have it at lunch as I am afraid of night hypos.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I find it hillarious that chocolate is not good for treating hypos!

I eat what I want but try to go low GI but if I am having high GI I have it at lunch as I am afraid of night hypos.

I've never had a hypo! Closest i've come is 4.2mmol/L, but even that was after a small-ish lunch, some glucophage and a 10 mile sprint on a pedal bike!

Usually keep a bit of dessicated pineapple at my beside incase it ever does happen.

I've never had a hypo! Closest i've come is 4.2mmol/L, but even that was after a small-ish lunch, some glucophage and a 10 mile sprint on a pedal bike!

Usually keep a bit of dessicated pineapple at my beside incase it ever does happen.
    I have had type 1 since I was 10 (am 37 now) so have years of experience! I have had to use glucagon several times, especially since abdominal surgery which affects the rate of glucose absorption.

A bit of Diabetes Friday Fun from two lads with diabetes from Limerick.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEa4JyvKqA0&context=C3adf120ADOEgsToPDskKXDUs74CcoakkbdphrKZWG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hahahah - fair play! 32 Long, same as me :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

A bit of Diabetes Friday Fun from two lads with diabetes from Limerick.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEa4JyvKqA0&context=C3adf120ADOEgsToPDskKXDUs74CcoakkbdphrKZWG

They threw some energy into that. They won too... Saw it on the diabetes federation of ireland face book page...

Any of you planning on taking part in the flora womens mini marathon?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flora-Womens-Mini-Marathon/379148747737?ref=ts&sk=wall#!/pages/Flora-Womens-Mini-Marathon/379148747737?sk=wall

Thinking about doing it and will have the diabetes federation on Ireland as my chosen charity. Applications arent being accepted until 22 feb, and i wondering if any of you were going to do it? Im not looking for sponsorship. My daughter wants to do it aswell but she might not be allowed due her only being 12. think the min age is 14.

• Advertisement

I think it fills up pretty quick so don't hang around with your entry.

Good event at getting people out and starting exercise and raising money for charity, but no good if you are looking for a fast time unless you are in the front row at the start. It can get very crowded all the way round so probably wouldn't be the best introduction to running for a 12 year old even if they were allowed to enter. There are plenty of other events around the country that would be easier to enter and potentially more pleasant to take part in and should be able to find a 5km somewhere, have a look on the ART Events forum.

We would walk it, a few of my friends will be with us but they are doing it for cf. You think it would be too harsh for a 12 year old.

She does 5 k walks with her aunt. Every now and then without any bother. She has ran the school mile and is on the cross country team.

It can get very crowded as you have 40,000+ women all in the same place. Once you are at the back and take it relaxed then you should be fine. I certainly don't think it is too far for a 12 year old, I covered much further as a kid, the organisers may have a different opinion of course.

Can any female tell me what affects does that time of the month have on blood sugars?

Does it have any affect at all?

My daughter hasn't reach that.point yet but I'm sure shes going to hit it soonre rather than later.

If it does affect your blood sugars do you increase / decrease your insulin for that week.

Can any female tell me what affects does that time of the month have on blood sugars?

My daughter hasn't reach that.point yet but I'm sure shes going to hit it soonre rather than later.

If it does affect your blood sugars do you increase / decrease your insulin for that week.
    For me I have insulin resistance in the week before hand but when I have it then my insulin sensitivity goes back to normal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well my insulin pump broke yesterday morning! And to make matters worse its out of warranty. Minimed are sending me a temporary pump to do me over for 3 months, bit after that I don't know what's going to happen. I've been on to my diabetic consultant so I'll just have to see what happens really.
    This is my second pump that went belly up. I'm actually using my old one that's a bit dodgey at the minute. Here's hoping it holds up!
    Well still no new pump. HSE are dragging their feet on this one, my consultant has no real idea how long it's going to take.

...still no pump...when I ask my consultant about it I always get the same response, "We're working on it". This is starting to get crazy.

So, take note everyone with a pump, start this process the ear before your pump goes out of warranty! You could end up waiting a while otherwise:eek:

...still no pump...when I ask my consultant about it I always get the same response, "We're working on it". This is starting to get crazy.

So, take note everyone with a pump, start this process the ear before your pump goes out of warranty! You could end up waiting a while otherwise:eek:

My understanding of the renewal process is that the hospital Consultant needs to write a letter to your local community care section of the HSE, stating that you are on a Medtronic pump and the warranty has run out and that she needs an upgrade to ...name whichever pump she wants to upgrade to. If its a straight forward Medtronic upgrade, that should be fine, if not, the Consultant need to detail why she wants another brand of pump I.e. Waterproof Animas or handheld remote Roche.

If I was in your shoes I would ask your clinic to send you a copy of the letter they have send for two reasons; 1) to prove that they actually did it :( and 2) so that you can contact the HSE your self to follow up (or hound) yourself.

Keep us posted please.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My understanding of the renewal process is that the hospital Consultant needs to write a letter to your local community care section of the HSE, stating that you are on a Medtronic pump and the warranty has run out and that she needs an upgrade to ...name whichever pump she wants to upgrade to. If its a straight forward Medtronic upgrade, that should be fine, if not, the Consultant need to detail why she wants another brand of pump I.e. Waterproof Animas or handheld remote Roche.

If I was in your shoes I would ask your clinic to send you a copy of the letter they have send for two reasons; 1) to prove that they actually did it :( and 2) so that you can contact the HSE your self to follow up (or hound) yourself.

Keep us posted please.

No "she", only me!:D

Cool will do, I'm just glad my pump is still just about servicable , I'm just worried it'll break for good one of these days. I had to return the Medtronic temporary replacement pump, they only give them to you for 3 months...I kept mine until I got a strongly worded letter!

Its a bit ridiculous being honest, and the way I'm being dragged along is just crazy. I can only guess this issue is a budget issue and nothing else. Although I've had no confirmation of that just yet.

Well I'll certainly keep you posted. I'll be touching base again with Vincent's tomorrow, and every Wednesday until I have a pump in hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

For me, my blood sugars drop and I tend to have quite a few hypos. My consultant recommended that I decrease my Lantus by a few units around 2 days before i'm due and then put it back up towards the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Here is the link to the 800 calorie diet, suprisingly hard to find for some reason.

Fact page.
    Their's a Type 2 Diabetic doing the above diet on Operation Transformation this year.
    I don't know if anyone is interested but by chance I seen "Operation Transformation" yesterday, the guy doing the diet, in one week, has lost 13 pounds and bloods have gone from 8.6 to 4.6.
    I saw it. He also found the going for the first two weeks extremely tough - phsyically and mentally.
    Just looking at this again their now.

These shakes have 22.5g of Calories (18.5g of sugar) in them and the "diet" has people drinking 3 shakes a day!!!?

55.5 Grams Suger a day!:eek:

How is it managing to bring down levels?:confused:

And isin't it just going to kill you with a heart attack instead? I'd imagine LDLs/triglycerides and other readings would be out of line for months after?

Ketosis on Optifast

Advertisement