Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bit of diabetes and ulcerative colitis* never got in the way of winning a handful of gold medals:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/sports_personality/16246808.stm

I thought they had given him some achievement award already, but I do think he is a good example for diabetics out there that it doesn't need to stop you doing anything.
    I think my chances of Olympic gold have already passed me by though. :D

* Didn't actually know about him having that condition before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That's pretty much it. We still have alpha islet cells so our bodies just dump a ton of glucagon into our bloodstreams and wait for whatever glycogen stores we have to up the sugar. If that's not sufficient we'll move on to gluconeogenesis.

I always treat them too to make me feel better.

The reason it does not always work is that Type 1 Diabetes lose what is known as Counter Glucagon Secretion Regulation where the secretion kicks in when you become hypoglycaemic, while our alpha cells are still there and functioning, they do not respond as they should for a variety of reasons including interactions (or lack thereof) with the pancreatic beta cells (Zn2+ , Insulin, Ca2+, depends who you ask and what animal you are).

Finally a conversation about alpha cells, my PhD is not in vein :D

Just on the Team type 1 website and found this picture for all of you who are on the pump, if you ever have a complaint, remember things are improving all the time:

diabetestoday-pump.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Didn't notice before that they had a running team as well, must be new.

I've got to knock a few more minutes off my half and full marathon times to get up to their standard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Hi all, my girlfriend has come over from the US and we are just wondering where to find a conversion chart between US and irish/european for sugar levels? Its just the local doctor gave her a different glucometer and it reads the irish/european eg. 6.5, where as shes used to seeing like 140?

Any help appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

DJW11 wrote: »
    Hi all, my girlfriend has come over from the US and we are just wondering where to find a conversion chart between US and irish/european for sugar levels? Its just the local doctor gave her a different glucometer and it reads the irish/european eg. 6.5, where as shes used to seeing like 140?

Any help appreciated

As far as remember you multiply by 18.1 to get from our numbers to us ones

ElBarco wrote: »
    As far as remember you multiply by 18.1 to get from our numbers to us ones

Its somewhere around the 18 mark on average, plenty of online tools to help you out : http://diabeticgourmet.com/Tools_and_Calculators/Convert_Sugar_Readings/

worth getting used to the european standard ASAP though if your being treated over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coletteh

If she has an iPhone there's an app called 'GluConverter'

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Thanks very much for the info guys:) have it figured out now, thanks again

Wooooooooo

Just went for my first proper bit of climbing of the year on the bike, I can already feel my insulin sensitivity spike (well technically I feel lots of hypoing on the way), no more novorapid until tomorrow :D it'll be like being a real boy again, all the food I want and no consequences, since I am ramping up training, it will probably be the last time this year I get away with it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

BBC
    Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed'

An extreme eight-week diet of 600 calories a day can reverse Type 2 diabetes in people newly diagnosed with the disease, says a Diabetologia study.

Newcastle University researchers found the low-calorie diet reduced fat levels in the pancreas and liver, which helped insulin production return to normal.

Seven out of 11 people studied were free of diabetes three months later, say findings published in the journal.

More research is needed to see whether the reversal is permanent, say experts.

Type 2 diabetes affects 2.5m people in the UK. It develops when not enough insulin is produced in the body or the insulin that is made by the body doesn't work properly.

When this happens, glucose - a type of sugar - builds up in the blood instead of being broken down into energy or fuel which the body needs.

The 11 participants in the study were all diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes within the previous four years.

They cut their food intake drastically for two months, eating only liquid diet drinks and non-starchy vegetables.
    Fat loss

After one week of the diet, researchers found that the pre-breakfast blood sugar levels of all participants had returned to normal.

MRI scans of their pancreases also revealed that the fat levels in the organ had decreased from around 8% - an elevated level - to a more normal 6%.

Three months after the end of the diet, when participants had returned to eating normally and received advice on healthy eating and portion size, most no longer suffered from the condition.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

It offers great hope for many people with diabetes.”

Prof Keith Frayn University of Oxford

Professor Roy Taylor, director of Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre at Newcastle University and lead study author, said he was not suggesting that people should follow the diet.

"This diet was only used to test the hypothesis that if people lose substantial weight they will lose their diabetes.

"Although this study involved people diagnosed with diabetes within the last four years, there is potential for people with longer-standing diabetes to turn things around too."
    Susceptibility question

Dr Ee Lin Lim, also from Newcastle University's research team, said that although dietary factors were already known to have an impact on Type 2 diabetes, the research showed that the disease did not have to be a life sentence.

"It's easy to take a pill, but harder to change lifestyle for good. Asking people to shift weight does actually work," she said.

However, not everyone in the study managed to stay free of diabetes.

"It all depends on how much individuals are susceptible to diabetes. We need to find out why some people are more susceptible than others, then target these obese people. We can't know the reasons for that in this study," Dr Lim said.

Professor Edwin Gale, a diabetes expert from the University of Bristol, said the study did not reveal anything new.

"We have known that starvation is a good cure for diabetes. If we introduced rationing tomorrow, then we could get rid of diabetes in this country.

"If you can catch people with diabetes in the early stages while beta cells are still functioning, then you can delay its onset for years, but you will get it sooner or later because it's in the system."

But Keith Frayn, professor of human metabolism at the University of Oxford, said the Newcastle study was important.

"People who lose large amounts of weight following surgery to alter their stomach size or the plumbing of their intestines often lose their diabetes and no longer need treatment.

"This study shows that a period of marked weight loss can produce the same reversal of Type 2 diabetes.

"It offers great hope for many people with diabetes, although it must be said that not everyone will find it possible to stick to the extremely low-calorie diet used in this study."

Dr Iain Frame, director of research at Diabetes UK, which funded the study, said the diet was not an easy fix.

"Such a drastic diet should only be undertaken under medical supervision. Despite being a very small trial, we look forward to future results particularly to see whether the reversal would remain in the long term."
    Here is the link to the 800 calorie diet, suprisingly hard to find for some reason.

Fact page.

Probably not new but...
    Diabetes Vaccines
    Diabetes vaccines are still in the research phase
    Diabetes vaccines are still in the research phase

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease which, when triggered, causes the body’s own ‘killer’ T cells to kill off the pancreas’s insulin producing beta cells.

Diabetes vaccines attempt to stop the T cells from attacking the body's own cells. Studies have been able to treat diabetes in mice, but a working vaccine in humans has yet to receive pharmaceutical approval.
    Diamyd vaccine trial

Diamyd Medical is a Swedish company that is undertaking a trial in humans to see if their antigen vaccine can slow down or even halt type 1 diabetes at an early stage of its development.

Phase III of the trial has been split into two regions, Europe and the USA, with 320 participants taking part in each. Should the European trial prove successful, Diamyd Medical could apply as early as by the end of 2011, to market the vaccine in Europe.
    Nanoparticle vaccine

The University of Calgary is one of the universities that have successfully developed a vaccine that works in mice. The vaccine is novel in that it uses tiny nanoparticles armed with antigens to stimulate the body’s ‘regulatory’ T cells which help to police the ‘killer’ T cells.

Essentially, this prevents the response of the ‘killer’ cells from getting out of control and killing the body’s precious beta cells.

News of the breakthrough appeared in April 2010 and the license to develop the vaccine is held by Parvus Therapeutics, part of the University of Calgary.
    Natural immunomodulators

A collaboration between King’s College London and Bristol University was awarded a 10 million Euro grant early in 2010 to continue their research to find a potential vaccine against the anti-immune effects of type 1 diabetes.

The two universities have been working together for a number of years and will be using the grant to pool leading minds to investigate new solutions.

Dr Colin Dayan, Director of the Clinical Research Unit at Bristol Royal Infirmary (BRI), points out that their research is less into that of a vaccine, as a vaccine is one which boosts the immune system, whereas the research to prevent type 1 diabetes is more about modulating the body’s immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

At this stage I think we can all sleep safely in the knowledge that Type 1 in mice can be cured. I've lost count of the number of studies over the years that have mastered it.

Well the insulin pump seems to be holding up OK with the altitude and low temperatures when skiing, I am keeping it well tucked away under layers of clothes. The glucose meter isn't doing so well. I get error messages each time I try and use it which I'm sure is resulting in some strange looks as I rub it against my leg under the table to try and warm it up in the mountain restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Hi All,

What are your experiences of the DAFNE courses, do they work, help with control?

It was mentioned to me when I was first diagnosed (3 years ago) but not since. I'm back with the consultant next week and will ask him about it again.

My levels have been pretty stable up until 6 months ago when they kept going high. They seem to be back on track now.

Any experiences or stories welcomed.

T

Their's a Type 2 Diabetic doing the above diet on Operation Transformation this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Noxdormus

Hello everybody !

Well Im french living at Cork since 4 years and diabetic type 1 since 22 years.

I've some questions cause I received my appointment date today for visit a diabetolg at south mall victoria hospital at cork and the date for it is the Tuesday 31st July 2012 !

How its possible ? I did my blood analyse last week and now I need to wait 7 months for see my results and talk with a doctor ?

I would like to know if I can have an appointment as soon as possible ?

Second question my gp every time ask me money (50 euros) for visit us for renew my prescription or get an appointment for the diabetologist (I have my yellow book) Is it normal ?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Noxdormus wrote: »
    I've some questions cause I received my appointment date today for visit a diabetolg at south mall victoria hospital at cork and the date for it is the Tuesday 31st July 2012 !

Waiting times for public appointments can be lenghty. Keep this appointment as it is your access to public (free) healthcare but in the mean time look into making an appointment with an endocrinologist privately. It can cost E70 to E150. And you will have to see your GP for the referral to him/her.
    Second question my gp every time ask me money (50 euros) for visit us for renew my prescription or get an appointment for the diabetologist (I have my yellow book) Is it normal ?

By yellow book I assume that you mean the Long Term Illness book?

Normally, the way it goes is that when you are diagnosed with diabetes and do not qualify for a medical card you apply for a Long Term Illness (LTI) book. This entitles you to all your diabetes meds and supplies free. The medical professional fills out what you need, you then take it to your nearest Long Term Illness Section of the HSE for approval, then you can take it to your chemist for your stuff. It's unusual that you have update the LTI book that often.

Hope this helps.

Hello everybody !

Well Im french living at Cork since 4 years and diabetic type 1 since 22 years.

How its possible ? I did my blood analyse last week and now I need to wait 7 months for see my results and talk with a doctor ?

Firstly, you have been a Diabetic for 22 years, will you be OK if you do not see a doctor sooner, if it is a case of serious issues, ring them up, ask to talk to a nurse and explain the problems (hypos, hypers, illness etc.) and that you are worried if you do not get in soon that it will get worse until you get in.

If its a case that your control is good and you just want a general check up, then it is a case of either paying up or grinning and bearing it, sorry.

You can also ring up about 2 weeks after your test and ask to get the results, my nurse will mail them to me if I pester her (politely)

Your LTI book (green I thought, maybe the new ones are different) should have a list of all your medications you need, get them all on one script, show it to your pharmacist to get them to add it on (they are generally pretty good in Ireland once they see the LTI book and know you are sending it off, they can claim for it at a later date, smaller pharmacies, not chains should be more helpful in this regard, or it may just be my local pharmacies) and then send it off to your local HSE for stamping (your GP should have given you an address for Cork).

Hope this helps, also if you do not get your appointment changed, go in a week and a half before and get another blood sample taken so your results are more up to date. Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Hi all,

Looking for ideas ( not advice ) on this.

Type 2 and not taking any meds as i am active ( marathon and triathlons ) and watch my diet.

BUT in the last 3 months i can't lose weight at all. No matter how much i do, even training 6 days out of 7, i can't get the scales to budge.

I test my bloods 3 times a day and they are steady enough at 6 to 7 with a fairly fixed diet that has cut out a lot unneed carbs, fat and sugar.

I am wondering would i be better on meds to work on my blood sugars that might help with getting the weight down as i want it 2 stone lower than it is:(

Hi all,

Looking for ideas ( not advice ) on this.

Type 2 and not taking any meds as i am active ( marathon and triathlons ) and watch my diet.

BUT in the last 3 months i can't lose weight at all. No matter how much i do, even training 6 days out of 7, i can't get the scales to budge.

I test my bloods 3 times a day and they are steady enough at 6 to 7 with a fairly fixed diet that has cut out a lot unneed carbs, fat and sugar.

I am wondering would i be better on meds to work on my blood sugars that might help with getting the weight down as i want it 2 stone lower than it is:(

Start with testing your blood a bit more, just so you can get a clearer pattern, if your testing at the same 3 times every day there is a wealth of information you could be missing out on.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Start with testing your blood a bit more, just so you can get a clearer pattern, if your testing at the same 3 times every day there is a wealth of information you could be missing out on.

Ok,

I tend to do it roughly 3 hrs after i eat so there are no spikes from food.

Add to take 1st thing in the morning as well.

Ok,

I tend to do it roughly 3 hrs after i eat so there are no spikes from food.

Add to take 1st thing in the morning as well.

What are your bloods just before meals? Are you eating 3 big meals a day? Could you be overeating at these times as your not snacking in the long times in between? Sorry for the questions but your original post did not give much info.

eg can't tell you about other meds and how they differ to your own without knowing what you are on now

Are you much overweight and what are you using as a reference, if it is obvious fair enough but if you are going by something like BMI it should be noted that the BMI system does not suit alot of people.

CramCycle wrote: »
    What are your bloods just before meals? Are you eating 3 big meals a day? Could you be overeating at these times as your not snacking in the long times in between? Sorry for the questions but your original post did not give much info.

eg can't tell you about other meds and how they differ to your own without knowing what you are on now

Are you much overweight and what are you using as a reference, if it is obvious fair enough but if you are going by something like BMI it should be noted that the BMI system does not suit alot of people.

Hi,

Typical day

Shreaded wheat with skimmed milk for breakfast

Low Fat Yogurt for my break

Lunch is granary bread ( 3 slices with chicken or turkey ) and homemade soup anf low fat crisps.

Apple in the afternoon

Evening meal of fish, chicken or lean red meat with green veg 9 i've cut down on potatos )

Only meds i'm on now are for BP and cholestrol.

I am just over 16 stone, i was 18.5 but worked that off and am 5' 9"

I normally only drink once a week with a max a bottle of red wine.

As i said i'm am active and ran the marathon in Oct with another one in April so all this work, eating healthy and no change in weight in bugging me as i know i need to shift it and want to.

As i said i'm am active and ran the marathon in Oct with another one in April so all this work, eating healthy and no change in weight in bugging me as i know i need to shift it and want to.

If you take a few more blood tests a day, you might have a better case at your next appointment for something like Metformin . I suspect that with only 3 tests a day at around 6 or 7 they are happy that your not in a bad way especially with the marathon running.

I'm very tired though so this could be a bad idea.

Thanks,

I've changed my diet removed some stuff and have got the the readings down from 7.5 average in the morning to 6.8 and lower reading during the day so i feel i've improved but no luck with the weight even with hrs of training:(

Thanks,

I've changed my diet removed some stuff and have got the the readings down from 7.5 average in the morning to 6.8 and lower reading during the day so i feel i've improved but no luck with the weight even with hrs of training:(

Have you met with a dietician or nutritionist who may be able to identify areas in your diet that might not be obvious to yourself? Or there could be an underlying medical problem why you can't move the rest of the weight?

graflynn wrote: »
    Have you met with a dietician or nutritionist who may be able to identify areas in your diet that might not be obvious to yourself? Or there could be an underlying medical problem why you can't move the rest of the weight?

Good point have you had things like a thyroid function test?

No to the above, i'm meeting the nurse next week to have my bloods done and i'm going to raise these issues with her.

A month of hard training should at least see 1 pound gone off me seeing as i'm running distances of between 6 to 10 miles along with swimming and cycling:o

I don't know if anyone is interested but by chance I seen "Operation Transformation" yesterday, the guy doing the diet, in one week, has lost 13 pounds and bloods have gone from 8.6 to 4.6.

• Advertisement

I don't know if anyone is interested but by chance I seen "Operation Transformation" yesterday, the guy doing the diet, in one week, has lost 13 pounds and bloods have gone from 8.6 to 4.6.

I saw it. He also found the going for the first two weeks extremely tough - phsyically and mentally.

Advertisement