Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not rotating your injection for insulins can lead to lipohypertrophy or lipodystrophy.
    I'm not sure if the SLP-1 injectables have the same effect but it's good practice to rotate the injection sites.

If you inject into your stomach, think of it like a clock face and move on an "hour" with each jab. Also remember to not inject too close to your navel.
    If you inject in your thigh or upper arms, it does tend to be much sorer but rotation is still important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

banie01 wrote: »
    Not rotating your injection for insulins can lead to lipohypertrophy or lipodystrophy.
    I'm not sure if the SLP-1 injectables have the same effect but it's good practice to rotate the injection sites.

If you inject into your stomach, think of it like a clock face and move on an "hour" with each jab. Also remember to not inject too close to your navel.
    If you inject in your thigh or upper arms, it does tend to be much sorer but rotation is still important.

Made the mistake of being too close to the navel once...oh never again.

I'll definitely rotate next week. Seemingly a side effect for ozempic is abdominal pain...the joys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

quick question re CGM, through the HSE - Im thinking of asking my diabetes team about applying for one. Im a Type 1 adult. My guestion is, what implicatons, if any, are there re your driving license/ability to drive? In other words, in order to get a CGM through the HSE would this impact on having a driving license/being allowed to drive?
    If so, I dont think I will bother....
    Would be grateful for a reply from somebody who, like me, is a TYpe 1 and who has enquired about getting a CGM through the HSE?
    Thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

banjobongo wrote: »
    quick question re CGM, through the HSE - Im thinking of asking my diabetes team about applying for one. Im a Type 1 adult. My guestion is, what implicatons, if any, are there re your driving license/ability to drive? In other words, in order to get a CGM through the HSE would this impact on having a driving license/being allowed to drive?
    Would be grateful for a reply from somebody who, like me, is a TYpe 1 and who has enquired about getting a CGM through the HSE?
    Thanks!

I have a CGM through the HSE, never made a jot of difference to my driving or insurance. I said what had to be said to get the CGM to my Diabetes team. To my insurance company I told the truth (good control and no issues). I do find it handy when driving in that I leave my pump on the centre console and my partner picks it up to look at my levels every now and again which is handier than pulling over to test every 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

banjobongo wrote: »
    Thanks!

I'm on CGM with a pump and it has no effect on your driving licence. I think there's a bit of a crackdown in the last few years on getting 10 year licences so I'm told I'll have to renew every 3 years when my current 10 year licence expires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I'm on CGM with a pump and it has no effect on your driving licence. I think there's a bit of a crackdown in the last few years on getting 10 year licences so I'm told I'll have to renew every 3 years when my current 10 year licence expires.

thanks. Its just that some feedback I have had is that in order to show you are an exceptional case to get the CGM (without a pump) you need to show that you are suffering from hypos and poor control and I was afraid that this might impact on your driving license, but I cant get a clear yes or no answer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just got a notification of a phone consultation. To have ready blood sugar dairy, med list, any questions. But they also included a bloods dept document, presumably they just put that in by rote rather than expect me to get bloods taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Just got a notification of a phone consultation. To have ready blood sugar dairy, med list, any questions. But they also included a bloods dept document, presumably they just put that in by rote rather than expect me to get bloods taken.

I was similar position in May. Im a patient in Beaumont clinic. I rang the Diabetes Team to enquire. They asked me to attend for bloods/urine at the blood department as per usual 10-14 days before Clinic appointment if I was comfortable doing so. There was no issue, I was in and out of blood department in 5 mins.

My appointment was over the phone with one of the Diabetes Nurses and they had all my latest results. Prepare yourself for the appointment. They will ask you the usual questions. Have a good think of anything you might like to ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Wow didn't know that about the Driving Licence as my 10 year one expires at end of year, renewal every 3 years is going to be a pain.

I was similar position in May. Im a patient in Beaumont clinic. I rang the Diabetes Team to enquire. They asked me to attend for bloods/urine at the blood department as per usual 10-14 days before Clinic appointment if I was comfortable doing so. There was no issue, I was in and out of blood department in 5 mins.

My appointment was over the phone with one of the Diabetes Nurses and they had all my latest results. Prepare yourself for the appointment. They will ask you the usual questions. Have a good think of anything you might like to ask them.

Cheers the letter didn't reference the need to get bloods taken, anyway I'll need to confirm my availability for the phone call so I'll mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Wow didn't know that about the Driving Licence as my 10 year one expires at end of year, renewal every 3 years is going to be a pain.

I’ve been told the same, every 3 years. I know that is the standard in the UK anyways. It’s not official here, but looks to be more prevalent in usage.

I believe if they classify you as hypo unaware there can be issues with driving. But I would say is more of as grey area right now. But it could lead to losing your license more easily.

ddarcy wrote: »
    I’ve been told the same, every 3 years. I know that is the standard in the UK anyways. It’s not official here, but looks to be more prevalent in usage.

I believe if they classify you as hypo unaware there can be issues with driving. But I worked day is more of as grey area right now. But it could lead to losing your license more easily.

This, there isn't really any grey area. There is a requirement to notify the NDLS if you are on sulphonylurea,medication that actively effects blood glucose levels or on an Insulin it must be notified to the NLDS.
    Being hypo-unaware can severely impact what and if you can drive.

RSA have a very good leaflet on it here.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%2520Drivers/Diabetes%2520and%2520Driving%25202016.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj-g7DLnZ3sAhXsURUIHZkwBWgQFjACegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2iDpFhNV9UnUQvLEgPj_0n

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Hi All,

I’ve been getting treatment for retinopathy in my left eye and found out today that I’ve a touch of it in my right eye now too.
    I’ve been getting injections in my left eye and will also have to have them in the right now as well.
    My vision is excellent.

I’m frightened by it to be honest and am wondering if anyone else is getting injections in both eyes ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Does any one know if metformin extended release is covered either by lti or the medical card? Had a bit of a shock going into the pharmacy and being charged almost €50 for it.

Does any one know if metformin extended release is covered either by lti or the medical card? Had a bit of a shock going into the pharmacy and being charged almost €50 for it.

Its covered by both, but if you are prescribed it as a diabetic it's covered on the LTI scheme under core list F.

If you have a medical card, it's covered as per usual GMS scheme rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Its covered by both, but if you are prescribed it as a diabetic it's covered on the LTI scheme under core list F.

If you have a medical card, it's covered as per usual GMS scheme rules.

I was told that it wasnt covered by either because its formulation is different to regular metformin therefore its use was "off licence". Pharmacist was very insistent it was "1000% not covered".

I've severe gastro issues and ibs on top of that so its been difficult to tolerate regular metformin. I have only been prescribed it since last month and didn't have to pay anything extra last time, but this time was told i need to pay extra. I also have a sinus infection and an angry screaming baby with me so i left it, but I really don't have €50+ to spend on this every month. I don't know what other treatment options are if i can't take metformin at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I was told that it wasnt covered by either because its formulation is different to regular metformin therefore its use was "off licence". Pharmacist was very insistent it was "1000% not covered".

It is off license so isn’t on the Core List but will be covered if on LTI under a special approval process. It may take a few working days.
    The whole system is so complex with so many exceptions to the general rules that even the admin staff in the payment unit don’t always give pharmacists the correct information and it can take several phone calls to get things sorted.

echo beach wrote: »
    It is off license so isn’t on the Core List but will be covered if on LTI under a special approval process. It may take a few working days.

Thanks for that, honestly was not aware of that.
    It's a strange one IMO that the xr formulation is off license.

Is the XR more only licensed for PCOS or similar conditions then?
    Medical card would still cover the script tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

It's a strange one IMO that the xr formulation is off license.

Is the XR more only licensed for PCOS or similar conditions then?
    Medical card would still cover the script tho?

Medicines licensing in Ireland often has more to do with commercial demand than medical logic. Many first line treatments and medicines that have been used for decades aren’t available in a licensed form. A license costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time.

Most unlicensed medicines, including Metformin XR, are not covered by the medical card. Some are covered for particular LTI indications. There is a discretionary hardship scheme which isn’t part of the usual pharmacy contract that may or may not approve supply in particular cases. Approval can take weeks or months.

In summary, the whole system is dysfunctional. Pharmacists spend hours trying to sort out supply and find ways to get unlicensed and off licensed medicines paid for. Many of the patients who need them are sick children, oncology patients, palliative care patients or those with less common conditions but the HSE leaves it to busy professionals to work out if and how expensive medicines can get to those who need them.
    Rant over.

Thanks for that very frank explanation of the current state of play Echo Beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

An interesting article here about removing the insulin dependency from T2 diabetics, by inserting a balloon into the small intestine to destroy cells there. Apparent;y a 75% success rate...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8832881/Simple-treatment-free-diabetics-insulin.html

Just had my chit chat Blood tests pretty good, nothing in the depths of the sample to raise concern with 3 month HBA1C of 51/6.8 (old money), the only change is to flatten the curve (ahem) overnight. So that'll be my programme from tonight so that 6.8 comes down to 6.2/3

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Type 1s are we getting the flu vaccine? I'm not interested in a vaccination debate but more that I don't want to take a vaccine that someone else might need as we seem to be short on flu vaccines here. What are you guys doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I got mine two weeks ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have other unrelated health issues apart from Type 1 daibetes but I got my flu jab last Minday I had the flu once many years ago and it really messed my control of my dabetes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got mine through work about 2 weeks ago.

Will get mine next Tuesday

I'm in for mine this afternoon. The shortages really do seem to have been resolved. I only rang yesterday for an appt and there was immediate availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Got mine 2 weeks ago. I always aim to get it early and this year, with Covid lurking, it was doubly important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Type 1s are we getting the flu vaccine? I'm not interested in a vaccination debate but more that I don't want to take a vaccine that someone else might need as we seem to be short on flu vaccines here. What are you guys doing?

I got it last weekend. They are getting more supply in daily etc. I do know if you don’t have an LTI or are in other at risk categories, they were postponing it a bit to cover these first. Out sounds to me like there is more than ample supply to cover the at risk groups as they are starting allowing people not in those gross to go ahead

Advertisement