Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Last time I needed a script I rang my DSN and she sent me out the script
    xeresod wrote: »
    My endo appointment doesn't line up with when I need my prescriptions (long story) so I need to get my GP to give me a prescription twice a year.
    Just to be clear on this, you can hand in a script at any time to the pharmacist and its 6 months from that date, so you should be able to move that date by simply handing one in the next time you get one from your endo.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

CramCycle wrote: »
    Last time I needed a script I rang my DSN and she sent me out the script

Just to be clear on this, you can hand in a script at any time to the pharmacist and its 6 months from that date, so you should be able to move that date by simply handing one in the next time you get one from your endo.

No, they cant. It's 6 months from prescribed date.

At the moment a Pharmacist can extend a script for up to 3 months past a repeat scripts expiry if they deem it suitable.

No, they cant. It's 6 months from prescribed date.

At the moment a Pharmacist can extend a script for up to 3 months past a repeat scripts expiry if they deem it suitable.

I think you missed my point. Lets say at the minute the GP visits are in March and October, but the Endo visits are in June and December. At the next Endo meeting, get a script, hand it into pharmacist and hey presto, you are now handing in your scripts in June and December.

I realise where my wording went wrong, when I said anytime, I didn't mean hold back on handing it over, just that if you handed one in 3 months after your last one, the 6 months starts from the latter script date.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Thanks all its really not the cost its why do we have to do it? Its not because of a clinic need its an administrative headache to the GPs and a pain in the hoop for us. No actual evidence that it in any way enhances our care and is driven by stupid unscientific legislation. Im going to write to diabetes Ireland and seek a meeting with the minister for health (although I should probably wait until after covid in fairness). It just all seems so pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

The original reasoning behind getting a prescription renewed every 6 months is for the prescriber to review the medication; to examine whether the medication is effective; whether it needs to be changed or added to; or if there are any side effects that need to be dealt with.It is reasoned that a review every 6 months is a good thing. For example if a patient with blood pressure gradually adapts to the initial BP medication and frequently it has to be increased or new BP medication added. The same occurs in diabetes where the levels of medication (insulin or tablets) may have to be changed partially depending on readings. Most chronic disease management requires more frequent doctor consultation. A review of at least every 6 months makes very good medical sense.

• Advertisement

palmcut wrote: »
    The original reasoning behind getting a prescription renewed every 6 months is for the prescriber to review the medication; to examine whether the medication is effective; whether it needs to be changed or added to; or if there are any side effects that need to be dealt with.It is reasoned that a review every 6 months is a good thing. For example if a patient with blood pressure gradually adapts to the initial BP medication and frequently it has to be increased or new BP medication added. The same occurs in diabetes where the levels of medication (insulin or tablets) may have to be changed partially depending on readings. Most chronic disease management requires more frequent doctor consultation. A review of at least every 6 months makes very good medical sense.

When a consultant endocrinologist says there is no need for a review for 1 year there is no argument that it makes good medical sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Xofpod wrote: »

What's to stop the body killing off the new beta cells?

palmcut wrote: »

The actual reasoning was for other illnesses where a LTI patient had been recieving medication for years that were no longer appropriate. This should not apply to T1DM as Insulin will always be the appropriate medication. It also should not be 6 months when we are unable to provide meetings with endos every 6 months. A GP is not qualified or suitable in many cases to assess whether the medication continues to be appropriate. By all means have a time limit but make sure it is a fair or reasonable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

xeresod wrote: »
    At least your GP charges the reduced repeat prescription fee, mine charges the full consultation fee!

My endo appointment doesn't line up with when I need my prescriptions (long story) so I need to get my GP to give me a prescription twice a year.

I have health insurance so my GP referred me to the endo as a private patient but at least I'm only out of pocket for €25 for him after reimbursement.

Does the LTI card not cover free GP consultation?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Does the LTI card not cover free GP consultation?

No. Any gp fees are on you.

• Advertisement

No. Any gp fees are on you.

Ok I thought GP visit is only to get into the system and then HSE and diabetic clinic takes care of everything else ? If you have to goto GP every six months and pay doubt there is any benefit of LTI card/scheme ! Very strange to be honest.

Basic medicines are cheap and GP cost would be more than that i guess for most people.

Ok I thought GP visit is only to get into the system and then HSE and diabetic clinic takes care of everything else ? If you have to goto GP every six months and pay doubt there is any benefit of LTI card/scheme ! Very strange to be honest.

Basic medicines are cheap and GP cost would be more than that i guess for most people.

have you checked the monthly cost of diabetic medication plus the medication for any related conditions? plus the cost of test strips and lancets? a box of test strips is €30 on its own. are you diabetic or is this a hypothetical question?

have you checked the monthly cost of diabetic medication plus the medication for any related conditions? plus the cost of test strips and lancets? a box of test strips is €30 on its own. are you diabetic or is this a hypothetical question?

Agree in that case its lot more..Not a diabetic but was gathering info for a friend as per previous posts. Thanks for your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

What I’ve been doing is reducing my tablets as my readings get better. Some days 1 or 2 metformin will do and 2 or 3 glicklazide. As a result I’ve built up quite a supply of back stock. My script is for 3 met a day and 4 glick. The glicklazide has had a revolutionary effect on my readings since I went on it.

naasrd wrote: »
    What I’ve been doing is reducing my tablets as my readings get better. Some days 1 or 2 metformin will do and 2 or 3 glicklazide. As a result I’ve built up quite a supply of back stock. My script if for 3 met a day and 4 glick. The glicklazide has had a revolutionary effect on my readings since I went on it.

you really shouldn't be doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭uli84

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Is any one else getting fed up with having to get a repeat prescription every 6 months when their endo only sees them once a year. Disclosure my gp recently started charging 30 euro for writing a repeat prescription. So on top of the hassle of getting the repeat prescription I now have a cost on top. There is no clinical need for my meds to be reviewed. It feels like a tick box exercise and I'm really sick of it

I am also fed up with it :/ haven’t had any changes in at least 5 years if not longer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm off to start back on bloody insulin :(

I'm 1 month back on Lantus now and while I'm not happy that beta-cells let me down after 16months Insulin free ;)
    I am happy to report that my BG is very much back into a very good and smooth range of control.
    Mornings are all under 6.5 and pre/post prandials all looking far better than they were.
    Weight has stayed stable too :D, but I'm being very tight on the lantus dose compared to my previous average dose when I was 1st on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Any Type 1 diabetics here who have recovered from Covid19? I'm returning to the office shortly. Endocrinologist had a Covid age calculator, and because I'm well controlled, I add 4 years to my ages for my 'Covid age', so would still have me in same risk as a young person. I'd still be interested to hear any experiences any T1 is willing to share here though, as I start to expose myself to it a little more. Let's hope cases stay low in Ireland!

imfml wrote: »
    Any Type 1 diabetics here who have recovered from Covid19? I'm returning to the office shortly. Endocrinologist had a Covid age calculator, and because I'm well controlled, I add 4 years to my ages for my 'Covid age', so would still have me in same risk as a young person. I'd still be interested to hear any experiences any T1 is willing to share here though, as I start to expose myself to it a little more. Let's hope cases stay low in Ireland!

No thankfully Iv not had covid but I'm a physiotherapist so in close contact with dozens of ppl each week. Obviously I wear PPE. I'm not too old and have good control so just try to get on with life and not let it stop me from enjoying my work. Don't get covid is the name of the game for everyone. Best of luck going back to the office!

you really shouldn't be doing this.

My fear is that because I get very low, between 3.2/4 around 6 pm, that when I go to bed I could go low again in my sleep. But you reckon it’s safe to stick with my prescribed dose and just ride the low readings out?

• Advertisement

My fear is that because I get very low, between 3.2/4 around 6 pm, that when I go to bed I could go low again in my sleep. But you reckon it’s safe to stick with my prescribed dose and just ride the low readings out?

I presume it was not to stockpile prescription drugs, I wouldn't be trying to ride out a low whether type 1 or 2 (although I have done it loads, it is incredibly stupid).

i reckon you should be talking to your doctor and explaining the low readings to him rather than trying to self-medicate.

As a matter of interest are you reading your bloods later on in the evening / night to see are they remaining stable with the lowering of your dose.

CramCycle wrote: »
    As a matter of interest are you reading your bloods later on in the evening / night to see are they remaining stable with the lowering of your dose.

I do 3 readings a day, morning, after lunch and after dinner, so 7am, 2pm and 7pm. last night I was at 4.9. My prescription is for a 4th at around then. But I don’t want go to bed on those numbers and lower my BS even further. All I can say is that this is working for me, I monitor it closely and so far it’s been fine. Highly recommend the met/glick combo if it’s possible.

Just an update; had a wrap with mozzarella, tomatoes and basil leaves for lunch. Felt a little off at 4.40pm, so did a test; 3.7. I'm due to take my 5pm dose, 1 met (1000mg), 1 glick (30mg). As I plan to have steak, mushrooms and onions for dinner, no carbs, it's pointless taking my regular dose as it will keep my bloods down in the low 3's.

So this is where I'm coming from in regards not sticking to my daily prescribed dosage. While in theory it may not be advised, in practice it makes sense and works very well. Maybe this is how it goes over time; the better you get at eating well, the lower your required dosage becomes?

Here's hoping!

Just an update; had a wrap with mozzarella, tomatoes and basil leaves for lunch. Felt a little off at 4.40pm, so did a test; 3.7. I'm due to take my 5pm dose, 1 met (1000mg), 1 glick (30mg). As I plan to have steak, mushrooms and onions for dinner, no carbs, it's pointless taking my regular dose as it will keep my bloods down in the low 3's.

So this is where I'm coming from in regards not sticking to my daily prescribed dosage. While in theory it may not be advised, in practice it makes sense and works very well. Maybe this is how it goes over time; the better you get at eating well, the lower your required dosage becomes?

Here's hoping!

have some sense and go and talk to your doctor

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

naasrd - do not adjust anything without medical advice, medical advice is not allowed on this site

Folks what kind of charges are people paying for primary care with your GP for annual and semi annual checks + prescriptions ? Also what kind of tests do they cover in them ? Just exploring options we have as different GP seem to be having different rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

Folks what kind of charges are people paying for primary care with your GP for annual and semi annual checks + prescriptions ? Also what kind of tests do they cover in them ? Just exploring options we have as different GP seem to be having different rules.

All my GP visits and prescriptions are free under a work scheme but I do have to pay €30 to get blood tests done. They are fairly thorough with the bloods , checking Hba1c, liver function, kidney function, cholesterol as well a few other things I cant quite remember.

My wifes mother who is T2 gets charged 30 per prescription and 30 per bloods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

After 19months of referrals, investigations, tests and ongoing agonizing pain.
    I was given a provisional diagnosis of inguinal and Genito-Femoral neuralgia this morning.

No opinion was passed on whether it's related to my diabetes, but it was raised as a strong possibility.
    None of that peripheral neuropathy nonsense for me ;)
    Straight on to the central ones! :pac:

On the GP visits question.
    I'm lucky enough to have a medical card as well as health insurance.
    So my GP visits are free as a matter of course.
    Should I have to pay, it's €55 for the GP visit and a further €20 for bloods.

Advertisement